Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Lucan with a 5yo

Options
  • 19-01-2015 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,

After 2 years in Dublin 4 (Ringsend) we're considering moving to Lucan. I work around Heuston train station and 25A/B commute seems not to be too bad (about 20 minutes travel with "good" frequency).

We've seen a few apartments, but there are 2 that we really like.
    1. Is in foxford (court?), pretty close to Penny's Hill and Lidl area and bus stop and around 10 minutes walk to a couple of schools.
    2. Is in Hadsted Road, 10 minute walk from more or less everywhere: Adamstown train stop, 25A/B bus stops, Super Valu/Tesco, Primary School...

1 is bigger and nicer, to be honest, but it also has something I don't like. After living in ringsend kind of isolated (we walk about 15-20 minutes for everything) all that things pretty close it's something I really like but I'm not sure about the area.

2 is a bit further from shops and transport and smaller. However I like that are much more, seems to be pretty quiet and good to live with kids.

I've been diggin in the forum but I can't really find much info about that foxford place. Some people say it's good others say it's dodgy... What level of "dodgyness"? dodgy as in teens drinking and messing around? dodgy as in cars break ins? dodgy as in houses break ins?

Anyone already there that could give me some info on either of the areas? Help would be much appreciated!

Cheeers,
    Jose

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Hansted would be fairly quiet, my little one goes to creche there and there isnt much life in the estate. Its near the train station and bus stops.
    Foxford, although I dont know that area well, if its near ballyowen complex then it is near a lot of the more undesirable estates in lucan, although it wouldnt be the worst of them.
    By the way it will take longer than 20 minutes to get to heuston on any of the 25 buses, especially during rush hour. It can take up to 30 minutes for the bus to get on to the n4 as most buses in lucan go around the estates and hit traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd stay well away from Foxford for exactly the same reasons that twilight_singer stated. Not a particularly nice area. Not as bad as some areas but I wouldn't go near it.
    However, it is very near the N4 so the buses would take about 30mins to get to Heuston in the morning.

Hansted is a bit more isolated but near enough to Finnstown. The Newcastle Road is a disaster at rush hour.
    However, you'd be able to get the train from Adamstown to Heuston in the morning.

Regarding the dodginess of Foxford, drive into the area and have a look at it.
    Also, you can get the general gist of the area even driving by on the Outer Ring Road - the place looks filthy.
    Lads lashing around on scramblers, rubbish everywhere, graffiti on walls...

EDIT: apologies, I'm thinking of the apartments/duplexes at the end of Ballyowen Lane, not Foxford!!!! Sorry if I've badmouthed anyone who lives in Foxford. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just to say the adamstown train station is a good walk away, especially on a cold or wet morning with kids.

Hanstead seems quiet enough, Foxford i dont know much about it

The bus from Foxford would only take 20/25 mins in rush hour to heuston station.

I get the bus most mornings from Grange Manor further up and it takes 40-45 mins to get to city centre. I get the bus around 7:20

Advertisement