Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being made redundant - should I take this job?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I am being made redundant after 13 years of service in a company. Since hearing my fate, I have been applying for roles - but having no feedback, excepting 1, where I was interviewed, was told the job was mine, but I declined because the commute was huge.

Now, I have the opportunity to take a 6 month cover contract, in a company where a friend works - timing re my current role and new role starting is perfect - but there are a couple of personal considerations I need to 'consider':

- What if my 'perfect' job came up in the meantime ie while I was on this 6 month contract role (would I peev off my friend?)?
    - there is alot of travel around Ireland in this role - but have 2 young children who would now be in FT childcare (they werent in my previous role)
    - Money for contracted role is ok - not brilliant, but not too bad either
    - I have exams this summer, so would be looking for time off / study leave...if possible!

What you think? Given nothing re biting elsewhere...would I be mad to give this up?

Unknown....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You haven't mentioned what industry you are in which woudl give us a clue as to how bouyant that sector is or how well job prospects are. As the economy is generally on the way up again, it should be a positive time for most sectors.

Contract work doesn't necessarily mean you are tied to the company contracting you (remember contractors are always the first to go when a company has to downsize or cut costs so don't feel bad if you would have to leave at short notice as employers don't feel that way when they drop contractors) Also, any good friend would understand your decision to choose a permanent or secure "perfect" job over a 6 month contract if such an opportunity arose during the contract.

However, if the money is not brilliant and you are now forking out for fulltime care for 2 kids, I'd be very wary about committing to such a role that involves a bit of travel.

If you have enough redundancy payout to keep you going for another few months, I would persist with the job hunt. Have you established why you are not having success with the hunt - are you getting to interview stage, are there positions even available to apply for in that industry? Would it be beneficial during your time out to participate in a back to work type course that trains on how to excel in CV writing/job application/interview/networking skills. I did one last year and it was excellent. I believe it helped me get secure a job in my first interview on my return to the jobs market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you declined a role with a long commute how would you be comfortable with one that involves lots of travel? That's even more time away from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is the contract job a genuine contract (as in you would be totally responsible for invoicing them each month, and paying your own tax)?

Or is it just a fixed term employment contract, meaning that really you are just a temp?

If the latter, then you can leave with the standard notice period, and would totally be expected to if you got a better offer. If the former, then you probably do need to see out the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

From your original post you suggest that you are being made redundant. If you have not yet been made redundant and leave your job of 13 years to go to another job you need to ensure that you will not loose any redundancy payment that you may be due.

Advertisement