Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve Sligo!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Pedestrianise O'Connell Street only once the bridge over the Garavogue has been completed, otherwise it shouldn't even be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

rizzodun wrote: »
    but the people Sligo need to visit here are from other towns, most of those will not be familiar with Sligo, and the nearest 'out of town parking', if that is the preferred choice for car parking we're on about here, is the retail park (a good 15 - 20 minute walk), Cleveragh business park (15 min walk) or Connaughton road where the travellers are, with no regular bus services it's not the best choices on a wet and windy day for shopping in Sligo, no wonder many out of towners head for parking in the town centre.

I'm an out of town visitor! I usually find somewhere, not toooooo far out of town with free parking, if I don't, I don't mind paying for parking for a couple of hours either. I guess I'm used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm an out of town visitor! I usually find somewhere, not toooooo far out of town with free parking, if I don't, I don't mind paying for parking for a couple of hours either. I guess I'm used to it!

If I go to another town I do the same, but I'm afraid we're in the minority, especially with families with small children. Mine don't mind walking but I can't say that for everyone. The best way to get people to visit is choice and convenience, Sligo has little of either I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

thebuzz wrote: »
    Pedestrianise O'Connell Street only once the bridge over the Garavogue has been completed, otherwise it shouldn't even be considered.

I think the main reason for the increasing dereliction of Sligo town centre is that a huge amount of the local economy has decamped from the historic centre and gone out of town to Cranmore Road and the bottom of Cleveragh and into the coffers of Lidl, Aldi Argos et al. The construction of an eastern bridge will hasten this process, which is probably irreversible in Sligo.

This problem is well documented in the UK and if you want to see the appalling vista that awaits O Connell Street, google death of the High Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think the main reason for the increasing dereliction of Sligo town centre is that a huge amount of the local economy has decamped from the historic centre

Excellent point. Like any Irish town... Car dependency and isolated one off - out of village/town housing has been the downfall. The downfall of health, mental and physical and the downfall of the humble village and town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The pathological obsession with the car and traffic has become in some bizarre way,almost the governing or organising principle of society, give me convenience or give me death but that's another story. Let's be honest O Connell Street is a depressing kip and I think having a vantage point in the middle of the street as one walks down it will give one a finer appreciation of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Under the Sligo Environs Development Plan the population of Sligo town decreased in favour of building up villages like Ballisodare, Coolaney, Strandhill and others. If you're going to have a thriving town, you need people living within it.

This and the planners insistance on out of town development despite widescale evidence from the UK that it doesn't work have lead to the current situation.

If you have a genuine interest in improving Sligo, take a strong interest in the Sligo Environs development plan and note that it is mostly developers and politicians who make submissions. Citizens were free to engage in it but most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

Sack Heary..?

R_overs1 wrote: »
    Sack Heary..?

Nail - Head

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

rizzodun wrote: »
    Nail - Head

Would you rather Roddy Collins. He's the romour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Don't even joke about that possibility.

157y8ar.jpg

Mint Sauce wrote: »

That's like choosing between a bullet to the head or a cyanide pill

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Don't even joke about that possibility.

157y8ar.jpg

read it on a LOI website yesterday.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Apart from the obvious, the joblessness, all empty shop units and all the dog sh%@ on the footpaths in the town, I think that addressing the drink and drug issues would improve Sligo.

I have lived in Sligo for seven years and over the past couple of years I noticed a lot more drink and drug related anti-social behaviour within the town.

Earlier today, while I was just standing on John's St., I was approached by a guy who was carrying four cans and was clearly under the influence of something stronger than a cup of tea. He started accusing me of following him and in his words putting him "under surveillance". He started getting more aggressive so I just walked away. This kind of stuff seems to have become more common within the town.

Would anyone else agree that there is a drink and drug problem in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

There's an alcohol and drug problem throughout the country. Visible heroin use on the streets of Dublin is a favourite topic on the After Hours forum. Walk into any corner store and you'll likely find that nearly half the store space dedicated to the sale of cheap booze.

Personally, I've noticed a lot of the newer, tiger-era buildings are starting to look a little faded. Some of them are barely 10 years old but aren't ageing very well. The whole town is starting to look like it did back in the 70's and 80's. Grim.

There's been a drink and drug problem in Sligo for years, I remember running a customer from where I worked years ago for snorting coke in full view of others! To be honest that was the most unusual thing I've ever seen, but seen plenty of hash users and drunks for years now. I think that side of Sligo will always be around, not sure how obvious it is to general folk though, some people would be a bit more ignorant to the drug side of it at least, but it's Ireland, we'll always have a drink problem if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Last year when I was living in an apartment on Mail Coach Road I witnessed a drug transaction just outside my bedroom window. I got a picture of the dealer on my smartphone. I went to the Garda station and showed them the picture. They recognised the dealer and told me the drugs squad would be in touch for further information, I never heard from them.

Well in fairness they followed up on my particular one, took cctv & evidence etc, kept the owner informed but I was never told of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Itzy wrote: »
    How to improve Sligo!

Sending the clique that is the Sligo Chamber Of Commerce to the firing squad, would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Is there any way the general public can get rid of these people or get the chamber moved all together or is it just a cosy cartel for the golden circle about town to continue to look after their own interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

sligono1 wrote: »
    Is there any way the general public can get rid of these people or get the chamber moved all together or is it just a cosy cartel for the golden circle about town to continue to look after their own interests.

To use your words sligono1, I would say "cosy cartel" would cover it and it will never change so long as it's the same old, same old people in it.

Most of their past decisions has cost Sligo dearly and they seriously need to cop on. They have vetoed so many plans of big name retail firms wanting to come to this town that would have put Sligo well and truly on the shopping map, attracting visitors from afar, in favour of saving their own business which in my opinion, would attract few.

A place and it's economy survives and thrives if money is pumped into it. It is all about getting people to come and spend, whether that be social, leisure, pleasure etc.. Whether we like it or not, retail attracts and is the bulk of where most people spend their hard earned cash and it should be encouraged and catered for. This concept, you might think would have encouraged the chamber to say yes to big named retailers coming in, to attract more folk through their own doors but no, they selfishly saw this as a threat and blocked it. In my opinion, they have cut their own throats.

Sligo offers some fantastic restaurants, hotels and bars and shops. It is quaint, scenic and a great place for tourists to come visit for an all round break or holiday. With the mountains, lakes and coast line, caters for a lot of activities. It is a place offering the complete package apart from if you are, as so many are, a shopper and spending money. This area, I feel, is why they are missing a trick.
    The chamber has done us no favours whatsoever and may have damaged it for good. Some big Retail names wanted to come to Sligo and were blocked by them. Big names bring people and money.
    Maybe instead of panicking about what fraction of an income a 1000 people spend coming through their doors, they might have considered what would happen if over 3 times that did?
    We may never know.
    Instead, on a site on the edge of town, where big companies applied to come in and were refused, we now have a regular "Circus" in town. This says it all.

Advertisement