Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why are people referring to uk menus? Look at the prices in Blackrock if you want an idea of what the prices will be in Galway if they open one here.

I hope they do. Even if the prices are comparable to other normal pubs id still rather drink there because I like craft beers and trying new stuff. I spend a lot of time in the Salt House already (even though a lot of the clientele annoy me) and it's expensive enough. I could see wetherspoons putting a serious dent in their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why are people referring to uk menus? Look at the prices in Blackrock if you want an idea of what the prices will be in Galway if they open one here.

I hope they do. Even if the prices are comparable to other normal pubs id still rather drink there because I like craft beers and trying new stuff. I spend a lot of time in the Salt House already (even though a lot of the clientele annoy me) and it's expensive enough. I could see wetherspoons putting a serious dent in their business.

Have you ever seen a uk chain with cheaper prices in Ireland v the uk? In the vast majority of cases its a lot higher as they 'claim' higher costs (wages, rent insurance, admin etc).

They are in launch mode, once they are established it's likely they will revert to uk pricing or higher while in the meantime driving out local Irish business. I would use tesco as a classic comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a uk chain with cheaper prices in Ireland v the uk? In the vast majority of cases its a lot higher as they 'claim' higher costs (wages, rent insurance, admin etc).

They are in launch mode, once they are established it's likely they will revert to uk pricing or higher while in the meantime driving out local Irish business. I would use tesco as a classic comparison.

So you keep saying but with no links to back up your point.

All you have to do is not frequent them. Personally I wouldn't be too bothered
    if I go in or not. I certainly welcome competition though.

A lot of Galway publicans have been taking people to the cleaners for years. Don't see you complaining about their high prices :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The Galway vintners, the Latin quarter & Galway alliance against everything will see that no weatherspoons open In Galway any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So you keep saying but with no links to back up your point.

All you have to do is not frequent them. Personally I wouldn't be too bothered
    if I go in or not. I certainly welcome competition though.

A lot of Galway publicans have been taking people to the cleaners for years. Don't see you complaining about their high prices :)

Can you post a link to back up your point

• Advertisement

Goofy wrote: »
    Can you post a link to back up your point

You want me to post pub prices from certain expensive bars in town?

If Wetherspoons makes pubs in the city drop prices it's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Fosters €3.95 - rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

antoobrien wrote: »
    Fosters €3.95 - rip off!

Pretty sure Fosters is €3 in the hole in the wall. Granted if you're over 24 you probably won't be going there but still cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The Galway vintners, the Latin quarter & Galway alliance against everything will see that no weatherspoons open In Galway any time soon.

How will they do this? This country is open for business if you put your money on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

thats the current menu from dublin http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFootDec14.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Why has nobody mentioned the Townhouse Bar as a potential site? They had a for sale sign up recently and has been taken down.

Shanley wrote: »
    Why has nobody mentioned the Townhouse Bar as a potential site? They had a for sale sign up recently and has been taken down.

Probably because of potential floods.

Business down there can't get flood insurance afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Please note that's the old menu.

Here is the new one:

www.jdwetherspoon.ie

Click on the menu icon under each pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Crumbs868 wrote: »

Anyone frequent this chain in the UK? They really are not that cheap unless they are doing deals such as xx on a Tuesday. Pints of Heineken / Guinness are £3.20 convert that to euros!

Once they have exhausted all this free advertising the prices will be raised to typical Irish prices

Wrong - I often frequent them in the UK. They are cheap - and consistently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Robbo wrote: »
    I know having carparks is part of their usual operation in the UK but neither their Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire locations have their own carparks.

To be fair Dún Laoghaire location sits right ontop of a car-park. There's about 300 car parking spaces in the Pavillion.

I was reasonably happy looking at the original menu seeing bottles of various craft beers for E3.50ish.

I started drinking Wheat/Weiss beer during the summer so I'm a bit put off drinking in places that don't serve it.

Just looking at that updated menu and they have Erdinger for E2.99 EEK!
    I could head in there for a full night without pre drinks and spend less than E20.

If the menu here is similar to that at those prices I'll definitely give it a visit.
    Pretty sure Fosters is €3 in the hole in the wall. Granted if you're over 24 you probably won't be going there but still cheaper

Most places that have it(which is quite a few) charge E3 to E3.50.... it started everywhere at E3 but a few bumped it up.
    Carling seems to be the new cheap pint going, seems to have replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Most places that have it(which is quite a few) charge E3 to E3.50.... it started everywhere at E3 but a few bumped it up.
    Carling seems to be the new cheap pint going, seems to have replaced it.

Actually you could be right maybe it was carling that was 3e. I wasn't exactly on my 1st pint of the night when I was there last.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

op here

just heard back from my friend.

its a done deal with the cottage in salthill. wetherspoons will be announcing it in the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

op here

just heard back from my friend.

its a done deal with the cottage in salthill. wetherspoons will be announcing it in the next couple of weeks

If this is true, great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Yeah great, a ****ty chain pub has arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Mike747 wrote: »

Am I bothered? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Feel free to not frequent the place

Plenty of sh1tty non chain pubs around you know!

Nobody will force you in the door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The supplier of chain beers, Diageo, approves of this message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If only one could vent thine anger towards this new establishment by supporting somewhere like Salthouse or Bierhaus, but alas they don't exist.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If only one could vent thine anger towards this new establishment by supporting somewhere like Salthouse or Bierhaus, but alas they don't exist.

The trouble with the salthouse is it's like a feckin' sauna in there most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This wouldn't be the first time I've read a report on boards.ie from some poster who "knows a guy". Most of them turn out to be bullsh!t. Care to elaborate on how your friend came by this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

like the option of wetherspoon. but I feel for PJ's if it's true that the cottage will be the first wetherspoons in Galway. actually they might get more trade as they probably serve one of the best pints of Guinness in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

JohnCleary wrote: »
    If this is true, great.

If it's true, fan-f***ing-tastic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Strange location if true. Can't see it happening myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement