Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah I thought if they were coming here they would go for somewhere in the city centre. This place will be a big draw for students. Then again the one in Dublin is in Blackrock so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

From the Dublin menu this looks to be an a strong well-priced menu which if done reasonable well should prove popular. Mid-market meals are an area in Ireland to be totally exploited by the Olive Gardens of the US. These guys seem similar, Rouge briefly took advantage of our appetite for a consistently decent mid-prices meal. Bon Appetite is another that comes to mind that offered a restaurant experience without the price. Galway Tart also offers a nice meal for a good price. A good pub meal with a few craft brews sounds quite excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The trouble with the salthouse is it's like a feckin' sauna in there most of the time.
    I've never picked a nice pint in there either because I can't understand most of the descriptions but it's my first port of call for non-Diageo drinks if Bierhaus is packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Mike747 wrote: »
    Yeah great, a ****ty chain pub has arrived.

I take it you've never shopped in dunnes or Tescos, never eaten in Supermacs, never bought clothes in Penneys/Top Shop/M&S/Debenhams, etc.

Woe to us with all these chains ruining our city with cheaper prices and more choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

op here

just heard back from my friend.

its a done deal with the cottage in salthill. wetherspoons will be announcing it in the next couple of weeks

This is great news. Based on the Blackrock menu, I'm looking forward to this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah I thought if they were coming here they would go for somewhere in the city centre. This place will be a big draw for students. Then again the one in Dublin is in Blackrock so you never know.
    They're not looking for a student market. They're very different over in the UK, people go there for food a few drinks and go home, they don't really do entertainment and won't be looking to pack the place out every weekend. It quite possible they make most their profit off of the food so don't want to turn into a drinking hole.

I've been to huge Wetherspoons pubs late that were virtually empty because they were targeting a lunchtime crowd.

I'm interested to see how these pubs turn out. It's not a model of pub the Irish market has much experience with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

If only one could vent thine anger towards this new establishment by supporting somewhere like Salthouse or Bierhaus, but alas they don't exist.

The Salthouse is full of weirdos and the Bierhaus has the rudest staff I've ever encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The Salthouse is full of weirdos and the Bierhaus has the rudest staff I've ever encountered.

About time someone said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You mean like boards beers people?

Taking my boards.ie life in my hands: Stick to Fibbers, you'll fit in better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

You mean like boards beers people?

Taking my boards.ie life in my hands: Stick to Fibbers, you'll fit in better.

There's only one reason I would go to Fibbers.

I like The Crane and Tigh Coili. Friendly bar staff, good pint, good music, sound girls to chat to and no tvs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Personally - I don't really care too much about what generic bar i'm in, if things are priced right and you're in good company who really thinks about the other place(s) they're not at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Most times I'm in Galway I visit the Salthouse.

What does that say about me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Personally - I don't really care too much about what generic bar i'm in, if things are priced right and you're in good company who really thinks about the other place(s) they're not at.

True. I've been to Wetherspoon pubs in the UK both when I lived there and since. Most of the time it was a meeting point with cheap beer before moving on to other places to see a band or comedy act etc... (ah them days :D).

I still don't mind them but my missus would avoid them. I go in for the real ale/diff beer selection (there's more to life than Guinness and Smithwicks...) and a cheaper pint. Never had a problem with the quality of their beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Salthouse is great if you get a seat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Salthouse is good if a little small.
    Have to agree with the bierhaus, was in there once, very rude and think there better than everyone else staff and some customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Gone off the Bierhaus a bit since they did it up and stuck a food counter in a corner

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gone off the Bierhaus a bit since they did it up and stuck a food counter in a corner

Have you tried the food though? Unreal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There was a rumour yesterday that they are buying Taylors Bar, and not The Cottage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dilallio wrote: »
    There was a rumour yesterday that they are buying Taylors Bar, and not The Cottage.

You mean the ...gentlemen's club?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

antoobrien wrote: »
    You mean the ...gentlemen's club?

I know the fella that said that. He was pulling the P*ss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kinda funny how the gentlemen's club is/was where ya went for erotic pleasures .. and the "workingman's" club (ie the Mechanics Institute) is just the opposite.

"gentlemen" my a**.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

dilallio wrote: »
    I would love for this to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Geuze wrote: »
    Most times I'm in Galway I visit the Salthouse.

What does that say about me?

I was all ready to go to bat and say "Hey! I drink in the Salt House!" But then thought, I'm probably one of the weirdos they're talking about :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I heard yesterday off 2 sources that its the cottage as well. I would have expected them to go bang in the middle of town somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Links234 wrote: »
    I was all ready to go to bat and say "Hey! I drink in the Salt House!" But then thought, I'm probably one of the weirdos they're talking about :o

On the internet, everyone's a weirdo!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭manna452121

The rumour went around Limerick just before Christmas that they had looked at two bars,one has since been converted for office space and the other is still closed.Rumours do catch-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I heard there may be a purple monkey dishwasher involved in this new bar. Is that a type of cocktail?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The trouble with the salthouse is it's like a feckin' sauna in there most of the time.

And bring back the benches, I.dislike the barrels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I heard there may be a purple monkey dishwasher involved in this new bar. Is that a type of cocktail?

I heard there's a sock cocktail where they pour tequila into a sweaty sock and then suck it through.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement