Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All that link does is a bing result for "Wetherspoons Ireland", is it supposed to show us a Galway location?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

biko wrote: »
    All that link does is a bing result for "Wetherspoons Ireland", is it supposed to show us a Galway location?

zoom in for da luv a jasis!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

A guy who was, until it was closed, a barman in The Cottage, told us last week that the bar was shut down because the guy who owned it died. They were given 7 days notice to get out. NAMA are, according to this guy, selling it lock, stock - which includes apartments upstairs, and other 2 buildings attached, I think he said they were houses - maybe the ones between the Cottage and PJs, or maybe ones between it and the Bishop's Field, I don't know.

Anyway, I suppose it doesn't rule out Wetherspoons moving there, but it would mean them taking over quite a substantial lot, and waiting for it to come on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I thought the Cottage were owned by the same guys who run Oslo, Salt House, Scholar's Rest.

I thought the Cottage were owned by the same guys who run Oslo, Salt House, Scholar's Rest.

Yea, sorry I meant the guy who owned the building died, not the business.
    They are all Galway Bay Breweries. Same guy (the barman) says they are looking to expand into Cork now, already being quite established in Dublin too.

Its weird how The Cottage still has all its specials up on the boards outside. Like they didn't know it wasn't going to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

seanin4711 wrote: »

Zoom in ta what, exactly? It's a page of search results, not a map!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Zoom in ta what, exactly? It's a page of search results, not a map!

I think he means this https://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NTMuMzQ3NTU0fi03LjYxMjg2NiZsdmw9OCZzdHk9ciZydHA9YWRyLn5wb3MuNTMuMjc1MzY4Xy05LjA0ODk0NF9fV2V0aGVyc3Bvb25zX19lX1lOODA4Mng5OTY4MzI3OTIxNTgyNDE3OTczJm1vZGU9RCZydG9wPTB+MH4wfg==

If you go into Bing maps, and search Wetherspoons Ireland, it gives 2 locations - 1 in "near 6 Prospect Hill, Galway" (when you click on directions) and one in "5 Temple Rd, Blackrock, Dublin".

Not sure where Bing get this info from, but I guess its suggestive of The Bentley/Icon/Cuba or whatever it is/was most recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bing know everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

berrecka wrote: »
    Yea, sorry I meant the guy who owned the building died, not the business.
    If he died and there's no will it should be the next of kin that handle the estate. They can keep his business going, the bank only get involved if there's a load of debt that needs paying. They still wouldn't just shut down operations and sell up. They would really want to just get their money and only turn to selling as a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

as above

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Revenue seem to think the place is still licenced to Kilarden Investments Ltd t/a The Bentley. Wetherspoons put all their licences through a named holding company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The prices on pints from the Dublin menus are amazing, especially considering it's Dublin. Less that €3 per pint. It's going to be mobbed the whole time. Wonder will the competition poke local businesses at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The prices on pints from the Dublin menus are amazing, especially considering it's Dublin. Less that €3 per pint. It's going to be mobbed the whole time. Wonder will the competition poke local businesses at all.

Competition is what it's all about.

Some of the rip off garages had to lower their fuel prices thanks to the new Applegreen store. I'd say it nearly killed them.

Same will go for Wetherspoons and Galway publicans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Reckon its a marketing ploy and prices will rise, no way they can make make money and pay staff and the bills at that price+ get a decent return on capital . I guess they can support the low prices for a while given the big mothership in UK , and try and blow the competition out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

youngrun wrote: »
    Reckon its a marketing ploy and prices will rise, no way they can make make money and pay staff and the bills at that price+ get a decent return on capital . I guess they can support the low prices for a while given the big mothership in UK , and try and blow the competition out of it.

isnt the low pricing their business model though? Prices are and always have been low on the whole in their UK pubs, why would it not be the same here?

Yes agreed, just not that low! ...Would expect the sub 3 pricing to move closer to 4 after a while still good value v the rest i guess.

Yes agreed, just not that low! ...Would expect the sub 3 pricing to move closer to 4 after a while still good value v the rest i guess.

Whats the basis for this assumption?.

As it makes no sense in terms of their business model.

By operating a chain you enjoy economies of scale, a concept more prevalent in other industries but the ethos of it remains the same.

They can see low as they buy massive amounts.

If the local can sell for E4.50 buying in small amounts, then a a massive chain is obviously going to be able to sell for nearly half that.

Not with the impact of VAT excise and cost of buying in, there is a floor on it and its nowhere near half

Example here http://www.jar.ie/article/the-price-of-a-pint-in-ireland, wouldnt be far off the mark, ok maybe dublin biased but same applies.

higher price but taxes are there anyway.

For pub Staff costs could be 25+% of sales, more if big food , wages are governed by min wage etc and competitive now, add in overheads like power, heat , rates , cleaning etc etc there are a bank of fixed ish costs that no way in hell 3 e a pint can sustain . 4 is more likely long term for an average drink .

Ok Wetherspoon dont take music , tv unlike most Irish bars and presumably buy premises outright but long term at the prices now they will lose money and a plc cant do that, needs a good 10% + return on capital at a min I expect and profits and share price have been dropping .
    .http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=jdw:lse

They will undercut locals because they are a big business alright and all that comes with that knowhow power etc, but will just buy in the punters first, good strategy for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Looking forward to them undercutting the pubs charging rip off prices

• Advertisement

Pub business is in terminal decline i reckon, supermarkets and restaurants have it now, cheap drink and dear food seems to be the way .
    would expect to see many more going bust .good opportunity for big firms to come in and pick the good spots off such as wethers or other UK chains, a la tesco/german grocers ,

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/a39ba4fc-385e-11e1-9f07-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3WtWALCXR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Pub business is in terminal decline i reckon, supermarkets and restaurants have it now, cheap drink and dear food seems to be the way .
    would expect to see many more going bust .good opportunity for big firms to come in and pick the good spots off such as wethers or other UK chains, a la tesco/german grocers ,

Not if Leo Varadkar has his way:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/drink-blitz-sees-bottle-of-wine-rise-to-9-minimum-30962996.html
    A bottle of wine would cost a minimum of €8.80 and a can of beer at least €2.20 under proposals aimed at outlawing cheap alcohol sales.
    The move is part of Health Minister Leo Varadkar's vow to end the sale of cheap drink, which he believes is fuelling the nation's drink problem.
    Cigarette packet-style health warnings and calorie counts on alcohol labels would also be made compulsory under new legislation.
    Mr Varadkar got Cabinet approval yesterday for the Heads of the proposed Public Health (Alcohol) Bill 2015, which will set a minimum price for drink sales.
    The legislation, due this summer, will mean new restrictions on advertising, marketing and sponsorship.
    Environmental health officers will be given strong powers of enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Not with the impact of VAT excise and cost of buying in, there is a floor on it and its nowhere near half

Example here http://www.jar.ie/article/the-price-of-a-pint-in-ireland, wouldnt be far off the mark, ok maybe dublin biased but same applies.

higher price but taxes are there anyway.

For pub Staff costs could be 25+% of sales, more if big food , wages are governed by min wage etc and competitive now, add in overheads like power, heat , rates , cleaning etc etc there are a bank of fixed ish costs that no way in hell 3 e a pint can sustain . 4 is more likely long term for an average drink .

Ok Wetherspoon dont take music , tv unlike most Irish bars and presumably buy premises outright but long term at the prices now they will lose money and a plc cant do that, needs a good 10% + return on capital at a min I expect and profits and share price have been dropping .
    .http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=jdw:lse

They will undercut locals because they are a big business alright and all that comes with that knowhow power etc, but will just buy in the punters first, good strategy for sure...

Excise is lower in Ireland than in the UK.

VAT on food is lower (9%) than in the UK (20%).

The 2.50 price on Beamish in JD WS in Dublin has been going since last Oct.

I guess that in nearby pubs Beamish would be 4.00, with Guinness 4.50?

That means a 37.5% discount from other pubs in Blackrock or Dun-Laoghaire.

With no music, no TV fees, huge buying power, a different GP mix, centralised overheads, etc., I suggest that a 30%+ discount is possible, permanently.

In Enniskillen the cheapest pint is typically cask ale at 1.90 stg approx.

I have no proof, but I'd say other pubs in the town charge maybe 3.00.

That gap has been there for many years.

What may happen is that imported beers from the UK may go up in price, due to the weakness in the euro against stg.

I expect 2.50 UK cask ale to move to 2.75 in JD WS during 2015.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rumours around town that Wetherspoons have taken the former Una Taffe's premises. No idea of the truth of it, but apparently surveyors were spotted looking at the building today.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Rumours around town that Wetherspoons have taken the former Una Taffe's premises. No idea of the truth of it, but apparently surveyors were spotted looking at the building today.

That would be some upward move, last time we heard of this crowd it was in connection with the former cottage bar in lower Salthill. More likely that the surveyor is working for Gerry Barrett, he is the reported owner as far as I know. Didn't he have some kind of plans for linking this site to the Edward Square development at one point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Don't think id like a Wetherspoons on the main street of Galway, I wonder would they even get a bar licence?

Also with the founder/owner of Wetherspoons being a large sponsor of Brexit, and with him taking all European drinks off their menu, I don't think I would drink in the place if it even ended up opening in Galway

Id like someone to reopen the Townhouse, I know the building is in need of a total fit out due to the electrics being destroyed in previous flooding, but on a nice summers day it's a great place to sit and have a pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's revisit when there is more than rumours and hearsay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement