Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is conor mcgregor an embarrassment to Ireland?

• 19-01-2015 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I would be the first to cheer on any Irish person in any field but with this guy I just find myself watching him from behind the couch, fake put on american accent "my man"?, talking about how much he loves money, talking about how he wears the best suits and insulting everyone else's clothes, saying things like "I seen his little skinny Brazillian head" "he looked like a skinny Brazillian from the favellas" talking about Aldo, thats being racist in my opinion.
    talking about how everyone in Ireland is watching his fights, no they aren't mate, Irish people don't act how you are acting, look at Andy lee in comparison, a humble gentleman who we are proud to call Irish, also a world champion unlike mcgregor.
    I would love to see conor beaten in his next fight but as I suspect the ufc is rigged, the ufc want a big fight next in vegas between mcgregor, then another big money fight in the aviva or croke park when mcgregor will be defending his title after beating Aldo.

is conor mcgregor an embarrassment to Ireland? 75 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 75 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

He is a showman, putting on a show. What's the problem? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Rigged? You're joking?? Of course they do whatever will make the most money, with regards to where fights will be held.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And nobody has a goddamn clue who Andy Lee is.

The Irish in general should be a little less worried about what other people think and a bit more concerned about getting out and kicking ass. Fuck being humble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

McGregor has better PR & marketing than Andy Lee.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of MMA, but McGregor is a showman. He knows what the crowd wants & gives it to them. He wasn't being racist, he was posturing, it's all part of the game.

Just watched the fight & he's an incredible fighter. It's rough as hell, but that's his skill. Fair dues to him.

I had to google Andy Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

He publicly displays a lot of confidence.

Whether he does deep down is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The guy is a ****wit

A talented ****wit but a ****wit none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Love him it's a refreshing change for all the saints of Irish sports ,
    He talks the talks and backs it up 100%.

As for saying the UFC is some how rigged don't be so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Pathetic "racist" accusations. Why do you oversensitive ninnies have to ruin everything fun with this kind of sh1te?

He trash talks and Aldo himself said he LOVES it because he is going to make MONEY as well....or did you miss his interview after the fight? :cool:

Get a life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Nope, and if you watch UFC regularly you'd understand that half the product is the build up, the rivalry - whether real or manufactured to an extent.

Hes a top athlete performing at the highest level in his chosen discipline, so in good old irish fashion, we start putting him under the microscope and criticizing his every move and word spoken, instead of getting behind him and celebrating the fact that one of our own had the dedication, talent and work ethic to get where is is today.

more power to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

guest2014 wrote: »
    but as I suspect the ufc is rigged

Sorry but you are talking nonsense, have a look at Mickey Rourke's last pro boxing fight and show me how that is NOT rigged. Typical response from a boxing fan afraid to move with the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

He's just a cog in the greater embarrassment that is the UFC.

Anyone with any cop on knows it's all a BS act to drum up interest/pay per view etc.

Once he get's his cut of the action I don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Its a persona. McGregor wouldn't have the opportunities he is getting without his brash persona. He is raking it in by talking trash. You can be certain he is entirely different away from the cameras. Also he has been coached to speak like that as he is preaching his product to the American market and is making it easier for them to understand him. Good luck to him I say.

Thats showbiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Is this the guy who's next fight was supposed to be in Croker and is now going to be in Lost Wages?

It's a pity that didn't go ahead. Then the residents could object, and off we'd go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hes a top athlete performing at the highest level in his chosen discipline, so in good old irish fashion, we start putting him under the microscope and criticizing his every move and word spoken, instead of getting behind him and celebrating the fact that one of our own had the dedication, talent and work ethic to get where is is today.

I don't think it's this mythical 'irish begrudgery', I wouldn't have any issue with McGregor but he has made some twattish comments as of late. A lot of it though is part of constructing an image and that has served him extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The guy is a ****wit

A talented ****wit but a ****wit none the less.

I second this.

I don't think Andy Lee is going to sell out Croke Park anytime soon, unless he hosts a Conor McGregor convention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

it reminds me of WWF wrestling that kids watched when i was a child

does nothing for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

An embarrassment or not OP, he is going to be considerably richer than you!

Have some salt to go with that chip on your shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

Dave0301 wrote: »
    An embarrassment or not OP, he is going to be considerably richer than you!

Have some salt to go with that chip on your shoulder.

who are you to say that? as I said I would cheer on any fellow Irish person that represents us, if I had a chip on my shoulder I would be running down the likes of robbie keane, colin farrell etc its not jealousy I just think hes a really bad role model and is an embarrassment to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Im sure Dana White loves him as he puts bums on seats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

OU812 wrote: »
    McGregor has better PR & marketing than Andy Lee.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of MMA, but McGregor is a showman. He knows what the crowd wants & gives it to them. He wasn't being racist, he was posturing, it's all part of the game.

Just watched the fight & he's an incredible fighter. It's rough as hell, but that's his skill. Fair dues to him.

I had to google Andy Lee

McGregor fame has more to do with Dana White. The guy has been one of the best promoters in the last decade. McGregor wouldn't be near the title if it wasn't for Dana. He knows what people want and will give it to them. McGregor opens a new market for him in Ireland, he's exploiting it while he can.

Pro boxing has little to no promotion these days.

who are you to say that? as I sad I would cheer on any fellow Irish person that represents us, if I had a chip on my shoulder I would be running down the likes of robbie keane, colin farrell etc its not jealousy I just think hes a really bad role model and is an embarrassment to Ireland.

Why is he a bad role model ?

Why exactly is he an embarrassment?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Showing personality and being entertaining is not an embarressment by any stretch of the imagination. He talks a big game then backs it up. Maybe if other irish sports people did that people would know who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Begrudgers mentality again. Hes Irish and successful so we better find some way to knock him. Same way Stephanie Roches goal was only against Wexford youths, Robbie Keane never scores in big games, and rugby success doesn't count because only 10 nations play it. Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

I have no interest in UFC, it's not a real sport IMO, but I heard the guy being interviewed on the radio this morning and he sounded like a complete and utter @rsehole.

I have no interest in UFC, it's not a real sport IMO, but I heard the guy being interviewed on the radio this morning and he sounded like a complete and utter @rsehole.

Why isn't it a real sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think fair fúcks to him. I do think he's taking more than a few pages out of the pro wrestling book though, and from Chael Sonnen before him. But damn, he's entertaining.

And folks, its not trash talk if you can back it up. Thus far, Conor has.

He can go a bit far though, like calling Dennis Siver a Nazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Not really into MMA, but my Uncles in Canada love it, and think McGregor is great. The guy is a show man, and the smack talk is part of that. Sure Muhammad Ali did that kind of thing all the time himself for instance (did a better job of it imho).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

Gatling wrote: »
    Why is he a bad role model ?

so you would like your kids to be acting the way mcgregor does?

Why exactly is he an embarrassment?

read my op again maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

amazing how Irishpeople slate their own, i say the best of luck to him, he has worked hard to get this far, sowhy not just show some support, we are a small nation, we dont produce many world standard sports people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

I wouldn't say he's embarrassing He's very good at what he does both the fighting and the PR watched the fight first time watching the sport
    I wasn't mad on it but was ok He comes out with a lot of bulsh1t but that's all part of the show all the other fighters would be doing similar
    Look fair play to him hope he wins the next time

read my op again maybe.

Because he called aldo a skinny Brazilian from the favella most likely true

sensitive aren't we

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Why isn't two knackers kicking the ****e out of each other at a halting site a real sport?

It's a subjective opinion - that's why there's a IMO at the end of the statement.

read my op again maybe.

The American accent thing is easily explained, he speaks slower and more deliberate to be understood by the American public. The crumlin accent can be tough to decipher.

The other stuff is no racist. It's brash, but thus far he's backed it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I know very little about UFC but I have watched all MCGregors fights. I also don't have a problem with his public persona.

But everything I read coming up to his fights seem to say he was fighting nobodies and when I looked at the odds on him winning he was always well on for the win. I know this happens in boxing to an extent but not as much as in UFC it seems. That's not real sport to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

+ 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Some of the stuff he comes out with is a little cringe worthy but I like him. He's a hell of a fighter and hopefully he becomes champion.

• Advertisement

Why isn't two knackers kicking the ****e out of each other at a halting site a real sport?

It's a subjective opinion - that's why there's a IMO at the end of the statement.

Sport isn't subjective though. It's like saying, 'A guitar isn't a real instrument IMO'

It just is, that's all there is to is.

Ranchu wrote: »
    I know very little about UFC but I have watched all MCGregors fights. I also don't have a problem with his public persona.

But everything I read coming up to his fights seem to say he was fighting nobodies and when I looked at the odds on him winning he was always well on for the win. I know this happens in boxing to an extent but not as much as in UFC it seems. That's not real sport to me.

He's only 5 fights into his ufc career and has to work his way up, hence fighting the underdogs. For what it's worth, his previous opponent before tonight opened up as favorite with the bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Who?

Don't be that person.

If you dont know who he is, why comment?

Unless you go into every thread you know nothing about and ask questions.

"Dungeons and Dragons, wha?"

"The Godfather? Never heard of it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No, he's not an embarrassment. He's an excellent athlete, and I am a boxing fan.

I've never been a big fan of the 'talking smack' though - I often think that people doing it are using the 'oh it's all for publicity' line to allow them indulge their inner w****r.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He's only 5 fights into his ufc career and has to work his way up, hence fighting the underdogs. For what it's worth, his previous opponent before tonight opened up as favorite with the bookies.

I get that but who's picking his opponents? It looks to me like it's been made easy for him to get him this big fight because he's good for business. That doesn't happen in real sport.

Just to be clear though fair play to him because I wouldn't be watching UFC at all if he wasn't in it. It's not winning me over as a fan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The only embarrassment here is Irish people falling over themselves to pull down one of their own

He's getting the title fight because he's beaten enough guys in the division. That happens in real sport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I don't think the way he talks and acts is embarrassing, just a bit annoying. He's making a successful career for himself so I say fair play to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's an act, hardly a national embarrassment. Personally don't find him entertaining in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Ah good old Irish begrudgery. McGregor is a showman putting on a show and in all fairness to him it's stood him in good stead thus far.

I don't understand why people insist on being down in the dumps and cynical about every little thing. Is it that hard to congratulate those who achieve success and enjoy a bit of theatrically and craic every now and then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement