Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is conor mcgregor an embarrassment to Ireland?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He's a gobsh!te, its a sport for gobsh!tes watched mostly by gobsh!tes. He does seem to be quite good a beating people up though and he is making a lot of money so fair play to him.

I wouldn't say he is an embarrassment to Ireland, more an embarrassment to himself and to the sport which is a bit of a joke anyway. It reminds a bit of the WWF that people used to watch when I was a kid (only not fake). He goes out and beats the sh!te out of some guy and then plays the trash talking hard man act and all the morons lap it up and throw money at him like he is some sort of trained ape. It's a sport for the stupid and the easily amused and I cringe a bit every time I see him on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

He reminds me of a a young Muhammad Ali

The bravado, the style, the lingo,

fair play to him, making a name for himself!!!

More a cross between Ali and Eubank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Nialler15 wrote: »
    It is most definately rigged. Just like most boxing it is rigged.

If you watched Mc Gregors fight in the O2, the "punch" that floored his opponent, an ex boxer, was ridiculous. It brushed the side of his head behind his ear and he went down like a sack of spuds.

This nugget again. He had been hit with a big punch second previously and getting hit behind the ear can hurt like hell. The lengths people go to dismiss him is gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's perfectly valid to say 'A guitar isn't a real instrument IMO' - that's a subjective thought.

Just think about how stupid you are going to sound saying it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Caliden wrote: »
    You mean his Dublin accent? :confused::confused:

You should look up his YouTube clip being interviewed on romance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

MadYaker wrote: »
    He's a gobsh!te, its a sport for gobsh!tes watched mostly by gobsh!tes. He does seem to be quite good a beating people up though and he is making a lot of money so fair play to him.

I wouldn't say he is an embarrassment to Ireland, more an embarrassment to himself and to the sport which is a bit of a joke anyway. It reminds a bit of the WWF that people used to watch when I was a kid (only not fake). He goes out and beats the sh!te out of some guy and then plays the trash talking hard man act and all the morons lap it up and throw money at him like he is some sort of trained ape. It's a sport for the stupid and the easily amused and I cringe a bit every time I see him on TV.

Why don't you go fukk yourself :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's a sport for the stupid and the easily amused and I cringe a bit every time I see him on TV.

Bullshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

You should look up his YouTube clip being interviewed on romance

He talks slower and with less of a Dublin accent deliberately to be understood by Americans. It's pretty obvious.

Most people who I know that watch it are far from gobs**tes. But it's very easy to sit behind a keyboard and call someone a gobsh**te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I don't think he's an embarrassment. He has a great track record and has made a name for himself. All the wrestlers in the wwf talk the talk the same as Conor does and nobody would say they are an embarrassment to their country. Well done to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Poll needs a "who?" option

I don't follow UFC at all so have no idea who anyone mentioned is but from reading the thread it's nothing more than the same stuff Hulk Hogan and co came out with in the WWF when I watched that as a kid.. it's all an act and harmless.

The "racist" accusation made me chuckle though. Some people in this country just love to be offended! :rolleyes:

He's annoying alright, but that's just the accent but he's doing the country proud so can't complain.

The only thing worse than Conor McGregor are his fans who dress and act like him. Met one when out last week and you'd swear it was district court day given their carry on.

McGregor is no doubt a great sportsman but he comes across really poorly in interviews and while it may just be an act, it doesn't make it any less childish and scumbagish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If his real persona is anywhere like his "media" persona then it's certainly an issue.

Can't begrudge anyone of success, but I don't see how that somehow makes criticisms of their character exempt. Sports people are often role models. Now if given the choice between Brian O'Driscoll and Conor McGregor? Who would you want your kids exposed to. The way Bod behaves in the media, or the way Conor does? Bod, all the way for me.

I appreciate it's very likely a necessity to promote himself in the sport. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's an absolute cringe fest at times. Just like simulation is an irritating part of soccer, the way these fighters "promote" themselves is often incredibly cringey. Are we not allowed to point out parts of a sport we disagree with?

Honestly if Ireland had one the best gamers at Call of Duty would we suddenly be ok with the prolific trash talking that has become common place in the higher echelons of that game? By the rhetoric used by many in this thread, that shouldn't even be spoken about because the guy or gal is successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I don't follow UFC at all so have no idea who anyone mentioned is but from reading the thread it's nothing more than the same stuff Hulk Hogan and co came out with in the WWF when I watched that as a kid.. it's all an act and harmless

not a major fan of UFC myself but it aint "harmless" and not to be compared to WWF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

We love you Conor, keep the style, talking about money and thrashing opponents - most refreshing to see an Irishman with some balls - Respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The one thing that is odds on to happen is..........

He'll dump his burd by the end of the year, and you can take that to the bank..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I hate that UFC has gone into WWE terroritiry of trash talking and posing, I preferred it when it was just two guys fighting out to see who was best, yes its still that but the build up and hype is over stated sometimes, I suppose Dana White needs it know, every sport needs to sell its promition but I'm just not a fan of it as much as I used to be.

As one of my buddies said, he preferred it when someone like Matt Hughes would turn up, beat guys, shake their hand and get back to his farm. No trash talk, no disrespect, no drama.

Still though, fair f**ks to McGregor for making it, I'd prefer him to have a shot of one of the other top 4 contenders before Aldo though as hes a different beast to anything hes fought, Aldos beat the competition so will be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

If football had the same approach as UFC then Joey Barton would be a multiple Ballon d'Or winner while an unheard of Lionel Messi would be playing the minor leagues back in Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kingtiger wrote: »
    not a major fan of UFC myself but it aint "harmless" and not to be compared to WWF

I was referring to the "tough talk" rather than the fighting itself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Just think about how stupid you are going to sound saying it though.

Why would I say it - it's not my opinion.

UFC most definitely isn't a sport IMO though.

It's just entertainment for slack-jawed dim-wits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Nialler15 wrote: »
    It is most definately rigged. Just like most boxing it is rigged.

If you watched Mc Gregors fight in the O2, the "punch" that floored his opponent, an ex boxer, was ridiculous. It brushed the side of his head behind his ear and he went down like a sack of spuds.

McGregor is a mouth piece but like him or loathe him he has people talking. Job done. Personally I cant stand him, and he is a poor reflection on true Irish sports people.

Did you catch the show last night, I think it was called UFC Rising - they were measuring and analysing various aspects of his physical abilities. The lab doing the tests said that even though they only measure elite level athletes Mcgregor was still exceptional among that group, the elite of the elite.
    The guy is a phenomenal athlete - there is the same politics and money making concerns in ufc that there is in boxing for example - but the fights look legit to me. When you're that good you can make all the money in the world without scamming (and therefore having to split it). Where would the sense be in having to pay opponents to go down, that you could knock down for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I was referring to the "tough talk" rather than the fighting itself :)

ah right ;) thought you where gone mad

yeah its all bollix, its the same sh1te prizefighters have been spouting for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    An embarrassment or not OP, he is going to be considerably richer than you!

Have some salt to go with that chip on your shoulder.

That doesn't exactly contribute anything. Will we use that line whenever someone rich is criticised on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

He's a fighter who knows he needs to stick out on TV, it's a TV persona.

The more controversy and drama = the more publicity = the more people tune in = all the better for UFC = the more Dana is happy with him = the more money he gets for fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This thread is embarrassing,

OP you should feel embarrassed for starting this thread. But sure were all anonymous here so you can talk crap all you like.

"Irish people hate other Irish people in Irish people jealousy shocker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Why is it not a sport if boxing is? Or kickboxing? and so on. Or do you just not consider fighting to be a sport at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Not for high class rollers like your genius self tho.....yeah? :rolleyes: Prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

He went to primary school with Mrs Caveman. She said he was the quietest, shyest boy in class and this is an act.

Fair play to him I say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder if the UFC will cotton on to the Jobbridge scheme and get there fighters from here on a freebie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Would the Boards.us website (if it existed) have a thread asking if some arrogant American prick was an embarrassment to America?? (Hell knows, they have enough of them)

Why would we need to be embarrassed over another person being a wally?

Typical Irish sub-servant mentality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I'm sorry but if say any other Irish athletes works harder or trains harder than Conor McGregor than your just delusional.

He's the first ever Irish man to achieve what he has done in the UFC and typical Irish fashion we begrudge him.Get over yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

He is in no way, shape or form an embarrassment.
    The trash talking is a humorous distraction nothing more, he has proved himself to be an incredible athlete and fighter and has earned a shot at the title.
    I for one hope he claims it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Why is it not a sport if boxing is? Or kickboxing?

Because I hold a subjective opinion that it's not.

I appreciate that people holding different opinions from yourself may be upsetting for you, but you'll have to get used to it I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Urghhh, he's just vile and he's bad enough without having all his clones mimicking him around all over the country...The hedge like beard, meaningless tattoes, 'tailored' suits, MMA training...I looked at his Facebook once and it turned my stomach. All the trash talk was despicable. Sorry but thumping the shoite out of someone isn't entertainment to me. I say bring in conscription for guys like that, make them do something useful with their lives!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Closing this as it's just a trainwreck of Trolling and Abuse

Anyone interested in serious discussion on Conor McGregor can head to the MMA forum and make sure to read the charter.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement