Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work going on above Windgates, Bray Head

• 19-01-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I walk regularly on Bray head, and my most usual route takes me down to the main road exit near the tall mast as you begin to come down towards Bray from Windgates.

A few weeks ago there appeared to be something like a film set nerar the top of that road. That is now gone, but a hedge has come down along one of the fields (affording a good view down to Kilruddery) and there are other sign s of work being done along there, and a lot of tyre tracks.

Does anyone know if anything significant is being done there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I suspect that is the remains of the works from the filming before Christmas. There were quite a few trailers and support trucks up there for some time. I guess they would of had to make good the access road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's another film being shot in the area, "The Secret Scripture", possibly its for that?

previous filming was for the "Penny Dreadful" TV series, they've made a real mess of the track and the area where the set was built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Could you provide a bit more information on this please? I'm bringing a friend to Bray this Saturday and was planning to go up the Head and along the track and out onto the road at the back of Kilruddery and then walk through Windgates to join the cliff path. Is this still possible or is the way blocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

The way was open yesterday and is always open as such. If there is filming they may ask you to go another way. To be fair there are a lot of cables and stuff lying about. Now I am not sure about the the Secret Scripture filming, but I saw location trucks going into Kilruddery this morning, so I imagine it will be there that is restricted and it should not affect your walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Judge wrote: »
    Could you provide a bit more information on this please? I'm bringing a friend to Bray this Saturday and was planning to go up the Head and along the track and out onto the road at the back of Kilruddery and then walk through Windgates to join the cliff path. Is this still possible or is the way blocked?

You don't need to go out onto the road at all, you can walk across the top of the Head from the cross and then down onto the Cliff Walk - from there you can either go to Greystones or back to Bray:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZxEt9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Judge, there is no block.

If you are doing loyatemu's route, bear in mind that the path downhill to the (former) cliff house is very steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Judge wrote: »
    Are you coming out to take photos? I love your photos of Dublin :D
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/picturesbyjoe/15651338824/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Hell and Back event being held this weekend in Kilruddery. Might be works related to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Thanks for the info folks. I know the alternative route down into Windgates but I suspect my companion on the day would prefer the flatter option of continuing on the track rather than the steep descent. It also means we can go visit the proper summit without having to double back.

John - I won't be taking pictures on the day but thanks for the kind comments. Your own work isn't too shabby either... :)

Advertisement