Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Golf

• 19-01-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

We are half way into January, and even though its not a new phenomenon a lot of golf courses close during the winter months during certain days. For members of these clubs it is part of the package. I'm a member in a club in Cork and they only open the course for 13 holes during the winter. This has been going on since early November.
    What are the best courses in Munster and Leinster to play during the winter months?
    I understand Links are great but sometimes not accessible with high prices.
    Playing 13 holes for the whole winter does not sit well with me. I'm paying to be a member of a club but during the time the club only opens for 13 holes no upgrades or repairs are taking place. What are your thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Roganstown, Full greens and Tees for the whole winter generally really dry it's never been close due to water logging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

I'm joined Mallow, we have 14 hole comps in the winter, because of the short days, play off regular tees and greens. Other 4 holes are open for people to carry on if they wish although I find 14 is plenty at the time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

East Clare....full tees and greens and full 18 hole comps. Big big plus for the place for me. Hate temps with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Most courses run 13/14/15 hole comps only during the winter but invariably the other holes are open to play outside of comps. Our course runs 15 hole comps but you can carry on and play the full 18 is you want.
    I find most people who I play with think 15 is plenty during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

9 Holes in our place. Not nearly enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can't stand 9/13/15 hole rounds, when I've the time set aside and traveled to the course and out there I want to be out there for 18 or nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 titlebearer

I suppose my gripe is with my club. They've only opened 13 holes for most of the winter. Then one day a society had a late cancellation and they opened 18 for the day. Temporary greens are a disaster. I dont mind playing off temproary tee boxes if you can see repair work taking place but they dont bother with it.
    Is it worth thinking about your membership and paying the extra for somewhere like Castlemartyr which will open 18 holes all year round?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Castle Barna in Offaly is open all year round, played 18 holes yesterday morning. However, we were on temporary greens for most of the round but as soon as they thawed out they were back on normal greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I suppose my gripe is with my club. They've only opened 13 holes for most of the winter. Then one day a society had a late cancellation and they opened 18 for the day. Temporary greens are a disaster. I dont mind playing off temproary tee boxes if you can see repair work taking place but they dont bother with it.
    Is it worth thinking about your membership and paying the extra for somewhere like Castlemartyr which will open 18 holes all year round?

Care to name your club out of interest ?

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Care to name your club out of interest ?

Lee Valley in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

We only have 13 hole competitions for the winter in Moate but you can play the 18 if you want to. Most members seem happy enough to keep their game ticking over with the 13 holes when it's wet and cold. Visitors for green fees or societies still play the full 18 for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Greenore, Co. Louth, we have a 14 hole competition at weekends to facilitate getting all members out. Full greens and if you start early you can play the full 18.
    To preserve the course we drop to the sides usually for Jan and Feb.

Greenore, Co. Louth, we have a 14 hole competition at weekends to facilitate getting all members out. Full greens and if you start early you can play the full 18.
    To preserve the course we drop to the sides usually for Jan and Feb.

From the feedback Im getting here is that most clubs have a 13/14 hole competition the weekends. Doesn't matter where in the country you play its generally the same. I suppose playing 13 hole golf every weekend you would just get the itch to have an 18 hole game every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

From the feedback Im getting here is that most clubs have a 13/14 hole competition the weekends. Doesn't matter where in the country you play its generally the same. I suppose playing 13 hole golf every weekend you would just get the itch to have an 18 hole game every now and then.

I play early so always get 18 in however the competition is for 14 holes.
    The 13/14 competitions is because of the short daylight hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 9to5

Lee Valley in Cork

I'm there also.

There was a 17 hole comp last week, only one of my 4 ball was happy. I prefer 13 meself and most of the guys i've asked seem to also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 9to5

LV dont have temp greens! And in fairness they are tipping away at the greens at the moment. Last summer they were very poor, here's hoping!

Forget castlemartyr for the moment, not enough members u'll be playing on ur own. However the place is about to be sold so maybe a change is coming.

Fota is your best option although i dont know what internal comps they have on during winter

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Blessington lakes are have 13 holes comps but again it is the 1st 13 holes so a lot of people keep going. Our spring league starts next week and so we are back to 18 hole comps. Next week really starts our season, interclub match as well next Saturday so back in the groove.

9to5 wrote: »
    LV dont have temp greens! And in fairness they are tipping away at the greens at the moment. Last summer they were very poor, here's hoping!

Forget castlemartyr for the moment, not enough members u'll be playing on ur own. However the place is about to be sold so maybe a change is coming.

Fota is your best option although i dont know what internal comps they have on during winter

No you're dead right. They don't have temporary Greens. I think a lot of the guys out there were giving out about the 13 Hole competition every week. I do enjoy the course and the social scene in the club is pretty good. You cant keep everybody happy... including myself :)

Advertisement