Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould near vent in wall. Aren't vents supposed to stop mould?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 2:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi there,

We have some mold developing above the vent in our bedroom. The vent is up near the ceiling, and and mold is on the ceiling above it.

Aren't vents supposed to help keep mould at bay?

Yes the room is aired every day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

Could be leak above in the attic. I would check that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It could be that the vent isn't open, or maybe a leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Or could the vent be blocked? When we moved into our house and had the gas serviced the guy checked the vents and found they were stuffed with plastic bags by previous owners to stop the breeze. 😯

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

I guess I should have mentioned that there was a leak in the ceiling last year, the landlord got a guy to fix it.

We're on the top floor of an apartment block. Astro turf roof is above the room.

I have attached an image of what the wall looked like last year. It looks like the paint is coming off. This was from the ceiling to the floor. The new mould spot is on the ceiling above this area.

The vent is always open, although I didn't check if it was blocked. I'll have a look when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

nomeban wrote: »
    I guess I should have mentioned that there was a leak in the ceiling last year, the landlord got a guy to fix it.

We're on the top floor of an apartment block. Astro turf roof is above the room.

I have attached an image of what the wall looked like last year. It looks like the paint is coming off. This was from the ceiling to the floor. The new mould spot is on the ceiling above this area.

The vent is always open, although I didn't check if it was blocked. I'll have a look when I get home.

Almost certainly attributed to the leak then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement