Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Onkyo 5.1 - samsumg tv Smart odd problem

• 19-01-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭

Ok i have got an odd problem. I just bought a new samsung smart tv and i have this strange issue where no sound works on the smart tv featues.

I have an onkyo 5.1 system so everything is connected to the various inputs and 1 output goes back to the tv.

when i try netflix on the smart tv i dont get any sound.

BD/DVD - is Popcorn media player
    CBl/SAT - SKY BOX
    TV/CD - Chromecast - When netflix is started the output switches to this one.
    GAME - XBOX.

The recognises it is connected to the surround sound so i cant edit the sound settings. If i switch off the surround sound the tv speakers play netflix no problem.

Any idea what the issue is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The sound is originating in the TV, so you will need to connect an optical cable from the TV to one of the optical ports on the Onkyo.

Another possible solution would be to use ARC to feed the audio back from the TV to the Onkyo (via the HDMI cable) if both the TV and your Onkyo model support ARC but I'd go for the optical solution.

If you're picking up Netflix on a Smart TV, I fail to see how a Chromecast is involved??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭irishgeo

coylemj wrote: »
    The sound is originating in the TV, so you will need to connect an optical cable from the TV to one of the optical ports on the Onkyo.

Another possible solution would be to use ARC to feed the audio back from the TV to the Onkyo (via the HDMI cable) if both the TV and your Onkyo model support ARC but I'd go for the optical solution.

If you're picking up Netflix on a Smart TV, I fail to see how a Chromecast is involved??

i had it from the previous tv. its filling in a gap at the moment while i sort out the sound issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are there optical ports on both the TV and Onkyo? If not both, are there (digital) audio co-ax ports on both?

That comment in your first post .....

is very confusing.

coylemj wrote: »
    Are there optical ports on both the TV and Onkyo? If not both, are there (digital) audio co-ax ports on both?

That comment in your first post .....

is very confusing.

If i start netflix on the smart tv the input on the onkyo switches to the tv/cd input which happens to have the chomecast plugged into it.

Yeah i have optical on both and i think i have an optical cable knocking around somewhere. ill look over the weekend.

got it sorted thanks for the help

now i just got an annoying lip sync issue?

• Advertisement
Advertisement