Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free hold Lease on property ???

Options
  • 19-01-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi,

I just realised on my title deeds over the weekend, that i have a leasehold on the property that I own.

Can someone explain to me what this is about and how can I resolve it to be the freehold on the property.

Is there a fee that I have to pay to Dublin City Council ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Can you clarify whether you have a freehold or a leasehold?

You can read about the difference and implications here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/ground_rent.html

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Normally the EA forwards the difference to your solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What type of property is it? If it's an apartment you'll never be able to convert it to a Freehold. Some estates won't allow you to convert to freehold either. Basically it's a case of asking to purchase the freehold from your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Property on a street in inner city dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your solicitor should have made this blindingly clear at time of purchase. You should be paying a (likely derisory) ground rent every year and you more than likely can buy this out for a sum and convert to a freehold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement