Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delusions of Respectability

• 19-01-2015 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

Here goes my first foray into the world of online training logs.

Background
    Competitive enough soccer&rugby player at underage followed by many years of nothing more than surfing the couch, a bit of golf and some 5-aside football. Started to gain weight at a rate a farmer would be happy for his cow to do.
    Persuaded to sign up for a 1/2 marathon. A key reason for doing so was to set a better example to my kids - I wanted to ensure that they saw that healthy activity is important in life and that Dad doesn't just aspire to play Jabba the Huth in the Star Wars Panto. No structure at all in the training, suffered silly injuries, shin splints etc
    Decided to try out Triathlon thinking that at least the swimming and biking would cause less impact. Also I thought I would enjoy the variety of training more (was bored with my own company after an hour of running). Lastly it would mean I would have to learn to swim :) which is a life skill everyone should have.
    2013 - Learnt to swim and got a bike (my first since my "chopper"). Entered loads of Sprint races and completed 1 Olympic. Really enjoyed the year.
    2014 - first half of year went really well, continued to build fitness, really enjoying the new life - formal divorce from the Television came through. Watching my diet more. I was never good at getting up before whereas now I have no problem making 6am pool sessions, never having a lie in at weekends, etc I knew I was a fully fledged Triathlete convert when I realised I would happily skip a Saturday night out in lieu of a Sunday cycle.
    My only complaint was a niggling knee issue which continued to get sorer throughout the year. Completed a few races but never happy with the run. Got confirmation I needed surgery. Managed to do my first half distance before I got my knee seen to, happy just to complete it.

Now
    So just returned to training after about 4 months off, unfortunately managed to put back on the weight I had lost. Will be taking it slow but don't really mind that, as I am not in a rush, this is a long term lifestyle choice for me. It is having a very positive impact on my life and I want to be in triathlons for many years to come.

2015 Goals (in no particular order)
    Dublin 70.3 - finish middle of the pack - to do so I will need to lose about 15kg
    Change jobs
    Have fun

Plan
    Swim 3 mornings. Long spin on Sunday and 1/2 turbos mid week. Build from scratch my running to do 10k on St Patricks day.
    Do strength and conditioning, more stretching, foam rolling and be better about my all round general maintenance.
    Win my battle against doritos, chocolates, jellies and coke!!
    Go to bed earlier and get proper sleep.

I am not coached, part of me thinks I should get one, only to make the best use of the time that I have available. I appreciate the support I get from my family for my training and feel terrible if I don't make the best use of the time. I will revisit this question in 2 months and focus on building my base to train as I would like to in the meantime.

If you are still reading this, thanks and endurance sports are for you! I would welcome any feedback on my training and advice that you may have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Week 1/5
    Mon
    Swim (am) approx 2km. Working on getting a longer reach before I enter my hand it into the water.

Tues
    V first jog in Ages. 3km easy plus drills. (happy I went out on the snow) hip feeling a bit sore the following day.

Wed
    Too lazy to get out of bed to swim, too easy to blame snow. Also the 2 others I usually meet on Wednesday couldn't make it -note to self, get more reliable mates.

Thurs
    Turbo session 1hr. Found hard to hit the heart rates I needed to, topped at 161. Rotating between 2min v hard and 5min hard with 1-2min rest.

Fri
    Swim 2km including drills.

Sat
    Run. Further than I intended, main set - rotating 5min jog 1 min walk did 4.5km in 24m30. Didn't stretch properly afterwards and felt stiff the next day. Enjoyed it nonetheless.

Sun
    Too frosty to go out for cycle and needed to log family time so rook it as a rest day. Need to start doing my long cycles again.

week 1
    Run #2 total 1hr
    Swim #2 total 2hrs
    Bike #1 1hr
    S&C #1 1hr
    2 weeks without Doritos, coke and chocolate.

Happy enough for my first week back, need to do more stretching. Need to go to bed earlier.

Week 2/5

Mon
    Swim: 200wu 12x50 (25fists 25swim) 6 100 (1arm drill), 3 x (sets 100,50,50), wd. Total 2km.

Tues
    Run 3k wu, drills, 6x400m <100sec (90sec recovery)

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

Week 2
    Run
    Swim
    Bike
    S&C

Week 2/5

Mon
    Swim: 200wu 12x50 (25fists 25swim) 6 100 (1arm drill), 3 x (sets 100,50,50), wd. Total 2km.

Tues

Wed
    S&C

Thurs
    1hr Turbo
    4 x (5min run, 1 walk)

Fri
    Swim: 2km 1km drill/ 2(3m50),1,1,3(5m43),1(1m44),1(1m40),1(1m43)

Sat:
    5km steady jog

Week 2/5

Mon

Tues

Wed
    S&C

Thurs
    1hr Turbo
    4 x (5min run, 1 walk)

Fri
    Swim: 2km 1km drill/ 2(3m50),1,1,3(5m43),1(1m44),1(1m40),1(1m43)

Sat:
    5km steady jog

Sun:
    2.5hr flat cycle @25km (M) a bit windy but mild and dry. Tired after it but delighted to get the first spin of 2015 in.

week 2 subtotals
    Run #3 total 1.5hr
    Swim #2 total 2hrs
    Bike #2 3.5hr
    S&C #1 1hr

3 weeks without Doritos and coke
    Some but not much chocolate.
    Alcohol free week.

Happy with my second week back, still need to do more stretching and go to bed earlier. V happy with the running so far. Next week plan to add another swim to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Solid progress!

Mon Rest. Had hoped to get an evening swim but feeling tired so went to bed. It will be a long season and I am very much building for it.

Tues - Run : 2km w/u, some drills, 4 x 1km intervals @4m15 with 2m rest. It has been a long time since I did these and expected to be 4:30+ so happy with the pace. Could possibly have done one more but the pace would surely have suffered.

Wed am swim (25P) 100,200,300,400,300,200,100 avg 1m58 not strict on the rests.
    Something fundamentally wrong with my arm entry, going in too early, then dropping shoulder before pulling?!? Need to work on this.

Wed pm S&C/Pilates 1hr
    20mins v easy jog

Thurs
    Turbo x`1hr not too taxing, injury a bit sore, stopped me pushing a bigger gear.

Friday
    Swim about 2.2km. wu,drills, mainset - 5 x 200m (not too sure of pace, but faster than I have been averaging lately, 3x (50 @40-45sec, 50 easy), wd

Week 3/5

Mon - Rest.

Tues - Run : Intervals 4 x 1k @4m15

Wed - am swim Pyramid to 400m
    pm S&C/Pilates 1hr and 20min v easy jog

Thurs - Turbo 1hr

Friday - Swim 2.2km

Saturday - Run 2k easy, 2k hard, 2k easy - 31mins in total
    Really focused on my form, may have engaged a glute for the first time, right butt feeling sore Sunday.

Sun - 75mins cycle up a few local hills, first hill work in 6 months - need to do a lot more.

A bit disappointed that I didn't get the third swim in but family life needs to be prioritised too, likewise Sunday spin was cut short, however I didn't mind as much - it was cold.
    Otherwise while less volume than the week before I was happy with the sessions that I did.

Week 3 Subtotals
    Run #3 total 1.5hr
    Swim #2 total 2hrs
    Bike #2 2.25 hrs
    S&C #1 1hr

Next week:
    Swim: arm entry and third swim
    Run: may try a Parkrun and see how far I am off a year ago

• Advertisement

Mon - swim 2.2km, main 1500 avg 1m45 per 100

Tues - Run 6.5km in 34 mins (2 hills)

Wed
    (AM) Swim 45 mins, main set 10 x 100m avg 1m50 w. 15sec rest (felt good and was a bit faster for the last few).

I am back swimming about 5-6 weeks now and was frustrated that I was struggling vs where I was before my extended break. The last week I have felt much better. I am seeing an improvement in my pace and also not feeling it as tough. I also know that I can make big improvements if I can get my arm entry right and then work on increasing my stroke rate.

(PM) S&C/Pilates and 25mins v easy jog.

Thurs - Rest

Fri - swim (25p) main set (2x1, 2x2, 1x3, 2x2, 2x1) on 2m10

Run - Parkrun :)
    Crowded start and worked hard to get through, losing time on the hills. Faded in terms of effort in the second half (garmin says the pace picked up, but a lot of it is down hill).
    1m45 from PB but only 45sec from where I was this time last year. V happy considering I am back <1 month and still carrying more than a winter layer.

Week 4/5
    Mon - swim 2.2km, main 1500 avg 1m45
    Tues - Run 6.5km in 34 mins (2 hills)
    Wed - (AM) Swim 45 mins, main set 10 x 100m avg 1m50
    - (PM) S&C/Pilates and 25mins v easy jog.
    Thurs - Rest
    Fri - swim (25p) main set (2x1, 2x2, 1x3, 2x2, 2x1) on 2m10
    Sat - Run - 5km
    Sun - Bike 75km, great morning for a cycle, really lucky to get to cycle Blessington lakes, the views with the sun shining were spectacular.

Happy I got 3 swims in, now to make it a habit. Happy I did the Parkrun and to know that my times are not as far off as I feared they may be. Happy with my longest cycle since August, worried I would fade but that was not a problem. So happy with everything - roll on next week.

Week 4 Subtotals
    Run #3 - 1hr20 15.5km
    Swim #3 - 2hrs40 5.5km
    Bike #1 3hrs 75km
    S&C #1 1hr

Next week:
    Promises to be busy week in work; coming to an end of this block I plan to make each session but not go all out at each. Will get a swim TT at the end of the week.

This should be an easier week, which is good as a I'm bit tired after last week and I have a busy week in work planned.

Mon - swim 1hr - can't remember too much of the set, but I have being swimming with a Monday morning group and over the last few weeks I have being steadily moving from the back of the group, on Monday I ended up leading towards the end of the session.

Tues - run intervals 3 x2km @9min with 2 mins rest (went too hard on first one (8.20) but legs felt tired from Saturdays Parkrun and Sundays long cycle so dropped back to 9min pace for the next 2)

Wed am swim - 45 mins messed around without a lot of structure, was happy to do so as I saw it primarily as a recovery swim. I did focus a bit on my catch and pull.
    Wed pm 1hr S&C and 25min easy jog.

Thursday - Rest :)

This weekend I plan to work our my race/sportive calendar for the year. So far only signed up for Dublin 70.3. Currently considering ROK (weekend away with lads), WW100 (don't think I will be up for 200), 2 Provinces (family day with the kids race beforehand), Hook or by Crook (lovely location) and friend is prompting me to consider Double Athy (more a training event just to do the distance) - if anyone has any other suggestions/recommendations I would love to hear them.

Will also be planning my next block this weekend, will look to move Turbo from Thursday as I seem to keep missing that session due to work, better still I add a second session. Need to start working in a long run to schedule. Is there anything else that I should consider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

cart man wrote: »
    This should be an easier week, which is good as a I'm bit tired after last week and I have a busy week in work planned.

Mon - swim 1hr - can't remember too much of the set, but I have being swimming with a Monday morning group and over the last few weeks I have being steadily moving from the back of the group, on Monday I ended up leading towards the end of the session.

Tues - run intervals 3 x2km @9min with 2 mins rest (went too hard on first one (8.20) but legs felt tired from Saturdays Parkrun and Sundays long cycle so dropped back to 9min pace for the next 2)

Wed am swim - 45 mins messed around without a lot of structure, was happy to do so as I saw it primarily as a recovery swim. I did focus a bit on my catch and pull.
    Wed pm 1hr S&C and 25min easy jog.

Thursday - Rest :)

This weekend I plan to work our my race/sportive calendar for the year. So far only signed up for Dublin 70.3. Currently considering ROK (weekend away with lads), WW100 (don't think I will be up for 200), 2 Provinces (family day with the kids race beforehand), Hook or by Crook (lovely location) and friend is prompting me to consider Double Athy (more a training event just to do the distance) - if anyone has any other suggestions/recommendations I would love to hear them.

Will also be planning my next block this weekend, will look to move Turbo from Thursday as I seem to keep missing that session due to work, better still I add a second session. Need to start working in a long run to schedule. Is there anything else that I should consider?

If you are not up for a 200km cycle is a 21km run after an 90km cycle realistic?

tunney wrote: »
    If you are not up for a 200km cycle is a 21km run after an 90km cycle realistic?

By this I mean if you can do a 21km cycle after a 90km ride when not the 200km.

tunney wrote: »

Hi, thanks for your question.

I have completed 1 middle distance before, my run was terrible (bike not much better) but I was carrying an injury all year which I have now sorted out.

I suppose I didn't share my whole decision tree. I believe I could do 200km (most people probably could if they take it slowly). However the 2 things that I was thinking were:
    1/ I would want to stay with my friends, last year they did it sub 8hrs in terrible conditions - I could probably stay with them but it would need a few days rest either side, this would mean I wouldn't be running which I see as a lost opportunity. My thoughts were I could do the 100km and then run either on the day before or run straight off the bike. (likewise for Ring of Kerry I was considering running 20km after it or the following day).
    2/ WW200 is 6 days before Hook or by Crook which I will be doing, so might not be best if I did the 200km as that would be 2 weekends without long runs
    (I have enjoyed the Pulse Aquathlons which is also that week, should I do it (as a training session) it would primarily be to get more open water race experience).

For a similar reason I will not do Belfast Tri, not because I can't do an Olympic or that I don't think I will recover in 2 weeks to be ready for Dublin 70.3 but that I would rather get a last big weekend of training in.

Thanks for you time and if you see any flaws in my thinking I would appreciate your more experienced view.

Week 5/5

Mon - swim 1hr
    Tues - run intervals 3 x2km
    Wed (am) swim - 45 mins (pm) 1hr S&C and 25min easy jog.
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - swim 1hr (main set 6 x 200 including 6 x 50's hard) - proud of this session mainly because I made it (I was out with work the night before and left early)
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - 3hrs @ 26km = 78km (Clane)

Easy week included 2 days off only 2 runs and 1 cycle. Missed the sessions I didn't do but glad of the break also as work is v busy.

Run x2 1hr20min
    Bike x1 3hrs
    Swim x3 2h45
    Other x1 1hr

Block 1 - "Getting back"

Swim x12 - 11hr25
    Bike x7 - 13hrs
    Run x13 - 6hrs40
    S&C x5 - 5hrs

Happy that there was consistency. My swimming is starting to come back together. My running is going well, I just need to build the distance which I will focus on in block 2. Really enjoyed the last 2 Sunday spins, spring is finally here. I need to start getting better at bringing the turbo out during the week and spend more time on the bike.
    For the most part my diet has improved but I could still be better, I suppose with only a few days to lent I should enjoy Mardi Gras.

Block 2 - "Train to train". The plan is to build on what I have been doing. Sneak in 1-2 extra sessions and make 1-2 a bit longer. I might get the opportunity to take some days off and put a few bigger days in. Or at least mix up the sessions occasionally so I don't lose my enjoyment of them (that is not to say I want to lose the pattern I have fallen into because for me the routine is key to the consistency I need).

• Advertisement

Week 1/4
    Mon - Swim 1hr - really enjoyed this, main set mixed 50's and 150's and finished with 5x100 (avg 1.40)
    Tues - Run 35m wu/drills intervals 4m10
    Wed - am Swim 40m - 10 x 100m altering fist/swim. Felt I was getting a better catch and and improved my swim cadence.
    Wed - pm Pilates

Thurs - 1 hr of v sweaty turbo
    Fri - 6km (33min) easy run, really enjoyed this morning run. I will try and add it into my plan every week (building speed and distance each week).
    Swim, w/u and drills. main set 1km - 1 minute quicker then last time. Still could improve my pacing, 50's varied from 46-59.

Week 1/4

Mon - Swim 1 hr
    Tues - Run 35 min
    Wed - am Swim 40 min
    Wed - pm Pilates 1 hr
    Thurs - turbo 1 hr
    Fri - 6km (33min) easy run
    Fri - Swim 45min (TT 1km 18.30)
    Sat Brick - Parkrun/Cycle
    Parkrun 22.30 should have positioned myself better, spent 1st 2 mins getting around people. Should have paced myself better too, could have pushed more 2-4 km
    Cycle 1hr20 v. hilly, really have a lot of work to do here
    Sun - 20mins gym work, 1 hr spin class & 20min swim drills - wasn't brave enough to head out in the wind/rain today. Does Spin class count as a cycle?

Bike x2 2hrs20
    Swim x3.5 2h45
    Run x3 1hrs30
    Other x2 2hr20

Week 2
    Mon - Swim 1hr varied session lot of drills, finished with some sprints
    Tues - Run 8km total, incl w/u & w/d & drills, main set 6 x 600m @2m10 (last 3 faster than first 3).

Muscles felt sore from the gym work at the weekend, not sure if this means I did too much or just the right amount.

Wed - Pilates 1hr
    Thurs - Turbo 1hr
    Fri - swim 1hr mainset (4's/3x1's), 100's avg 1m40. Run 8.4km in 45mins (5:20 km/hr)

Head not fully in the game with the Turbo, a bit of going through the motions. Really enjoyed the run again, great morning to be out. Probably the longest I have run in since last August and no sign of pain :)

Out tonight for the first time in ages, will try and behave so I get something done tomorrow (either run/spin class) as cycle will be curtailed on Sunday as I have just got a ticket for the match :)

cart man wrote: »
    Wed - Pilates 1hr
    Thurs - Turbo 1hr
    Fri - swim 1hr mainset (4's/3x1's), 100's avg 1m40. Run 8.4km in 45mins (5:20 km/hr)

Head not fully in the game with the Turbo, a bit of going through the motions. Really enjoyed the run again, great morning to be out. Probably the longest I have run in since last August and no sign of pain :)

Out tonight for the first time in ages, will try and behave so I get something done tomorrow (either run/spin class) as cycle will be curtailed on Sunday as I have just got a ticket for the match :)

What do you do on the turbo?

I always try and vary it (I would always have a plan) could be: warm up then 7 intervals of 3mins steady (80-90rpm), 2mins big gear (60rpm) 2 min recovery. w/down.

Sat - v easy run, 6k -38mins
    Sun - v v v v v cold cycle. My hands and feet have never been as cold. It took a full hour to thaw them out when I got home. I need to get new gloves, overshoes and an online weather forecaster (accuweather did not predict that snow), any ideas?
    61km total about just under 2.5 hours (forgot to turn on watch!), also got caught at a load if lights.

Week 2/4

Mon - Swim 1hr
    Tues - Run 8km
    Wed - Pilates 1hr
    Thurs - Turbo 1hr
    Fri - Swim 1hr Run 8.4km
    Sat - Run 6k
    Sun - Cycle 61km 2.5 hours

Bike x2 3hrs30
    Swim x2 2hrs
    Run x3 2hrs10
    Other x1 1hr

• Advertisement

Week 3/4

Mon - swim 1 hr 2/3 drills finished with 4 x25m sprints - the first 3 went well but ran of gas for the 4th.
    Tues - Run 35min, 6km, includes hill repeats of 5 x300m each @1m02 with 90sec recovery
    Wed - Pilates 1hr and Jog 31min40, 5km. The pilates has reminded that I need to stretch and foam roll more (or at all).

Advertisement