Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delusions of Respectability

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Thurs Turbo 1hr, including 6 x (4@85% and 2mins easy).
    Fri Swim drills, mainset 14x100m @1m42 average. Run 7k in 38mins.

My legs are so tight since the hill run on Tuesday, I am really poor at stretching, foam rolling etc I will make sometime tomorrow to do some and then right the day off as a rest day.. Is there value in seeing a masseuse? If so what would meets my needs best - physio, physical-t, nmt etc also is dry needling any good??

Week 3/4

Mon - swim 1 hr
    Tues - Run 35min, 6km, includes hill repeats
    Wed - Pilates 1hr and 5km @6:20/km
    Thurs - Turbo 1hr
    Fri - Swim 1hr, 14x100m. Run 7k @5:25/km
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Cycle <3hr54 @25km/hr. Flat with headwind at start that died away. Good thing it was flat as I need to work on my climbing.

Bike x2 4hrs54 (120km)
    Swim x2 2hrs (4k)
    Run x3 1hrs45 (18k)
    Other x1 1hr

Ahead of a slightly easier week, I had hoped for another run and swim but work/family life got in the way. Had I been a bit more disciplined and gone to bed earlier I could have got them both in. Still, I am consistent with most sessions and continue to build bike duration.
    Next week will be a bit easier ahead of a big week the following week. Because of banks holidays/Easter etc my plan for next block will be Hardest week, Easiest Week, Hard, Hard, Easy. This will mess with the consistency that I have been achieving but I am hoping that it will also step my fitness up.
    After that, I will have 16 weeks run into Dublin. The clock will have gone forward and I may even brave the open water so lots of opportunities to do more. I will need help planning those weeks so if anyone can offer any advice I would be grateful. Thanks

Week 3/4

Mon - swim 1 hr
    Tues - Run 35min, 6km, includes hill repeats
    Wed - Pilates 1hr and 5km @6:20/km
    Thurs - Turbo 1hr
    Fri - Swim 1hr, 14x100m. Run 7k @5:25/km
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Cycle <3hr54 @25km/hr. Flat with headwind at start that died away. Good thing it was flat as I need to work on my climbing.

Bike x2 4hrs54 (120km)
    Swim x2 2hrs (4k)
    Run x3 1hrs45 (18k)
    Other x1 1hr

Ahead of a slightly easier week, I had hoped for another run and swim but work/family life got in the way. Had I been a bit more disciplined and gone to bed earlier I could have got them both in. Still, I am consistent with most sessions and continue to build bike duration.
    Next week will be a bit easier ahead of a big week the following week. Because of banks holidays/Easter etc my plan for next block will be Hardest week, Easiest Week, Hard, Hard, Easy. This will mess with the consistency that I have been achieving but I am hoping that it will also step my fitness up.
    After that, I will have 16 weeks run into Dublin. The clock will have gone forward and I may even brave the open water so lots of opportunities to do more. I will need help planning those weeks so if anyone can offer any advice I would be grateful. Thanks

Week 4/4

Mon - Swim 1 hr 2km, main: 2x (4x150, 4x50)
    Tues - Run 2km, 3x400 (87sec), 4x1km (4:02), 2km Total 10km, 50mins

Wed - swim, 1hr, 2.3km. 1hr S&C.
    Thurs - Rest, legs were heavy after Tuesdays intervals. I need to stop neglecting stretching and rolling.
    Fri - Swim, 1hr, 1.8km. Started off sluggish, got into a rhythm after 400m. Was consistently hitting 200m in 3:26 & 100m in 1:42.
    Sat - rest again &#55357;&#56842;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Solid swimming - times are starting to reflect this now.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Solid swimming - times are starting to reflect this now.

Thanks MojoMaker, I have tried to keep the consistency. I need to build my endurance, I know I have more speed in me, I just need to keep at it.

Week 4/4 (easy week)

Mon - swim 1 hr, 2k
    Tues - Run 10km, 50mins
    Wed - swim, 1hr, 2.3km; Pilates 1hr
    Thurs - Rest
    Fri - Swim 50mins 1.8k
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Cycle 1hr15, 30km hills. Swim 1hr 2km (15x100m)

Bike x1 1hrs15 (30km)
    Swim x4 3hrs50 (8.1k)
    Run x1 0hrs45 (10k)
    Other x1 1hr

Block 2 - "Training to train"

Swim x11.5 - 10hr35
    Bike x7 - 12hrs
    Run x10 - 6hrs15
    S&C x5 - 5hrs20

Ok block, glad I kept this log as I can see that the totals that I got were consistent with previous block, so whilst I am consistent with my training I have not added any more sessions over the previous block. Seeing some improvements in my running and biking which I am please with but still could do more. Still need to work on my diet.

Block 3 - "Base Phase 1". Plan will jump up and down with volume as I get days off this month in between busy weeks in work. Will in particular try and ensure I get a longer run in each week.

Block 3 - Build Phase 1

Week 1/4
    Mon - Run 7.86k, 43:24min. Swim 2.5k (main 10x50 on 1min and 25m pyramid (x1, x2, x3 ....x8, x7, ... x1)). Cycle 1:27, 31.47k @ 22k/hr.
    Tues - Cycle 80k 3h40 >1500m climbing, some wind.
    Wed - Swim 1 (am) 1.5k, swim 2 (pm) 1.4k, 1hr S&C. 45mins transition brick session (30/15).
    Thurs - Swim 1 (am) 1k, swim 2 (pm) 2.1k. S&C 30mins.
    Fri - Cycle 60k (includes 10k climb that I did 6mins quicker than last year - still don't like climbing though!). Swim 1h15 2.2k.
    Sat - Run 15.5k, 1h30 @ 5:45/km (50% longer than any run in 6 months). Swim 1 (am) 1.4k and swim 2 (pm) 1.5k.
    Sun - Swim 1.35k and S&C 0.5hr

Bike x4 8hrs (186k)
    Swim x9 8hrs (15k)
    Run x3 3hrs30 (25.9k plus drills).
    Other x3 2hrs

I had some days off and was able to get a big week in. I ended up focusing more on swimming than I thought I would and less cycling, partially because I am soft and wouldn't venture out into the cold/wet on the bike.
    In the swim I focused on getting my head position right which was affecting a number of things, the change has now affected my balance and I need to work at keeping my arm out straight and roll from the hips rather than pushing and turning with my arm. My timing needs to be more consistent. I will continue to work on this but I probably will be going slow for the next while (as I adapt to new stroke) ahead of seeing improvements.
    Really please with my running, deligthed to get 15k done, will be try and increase this by 1km per week for the next number of weeks.
    All in all a good week, this week will be easier. I will then try and make the most of the long Easter weekend and look forward to the clock going forward next week.

• Advertisement

Week 2/4

This is planned as an easy week after last weeks step up and the knowledge that work was going to be very busy. Unfortunately I am getting less in than planned and work could be like this for a while :( have had to cancel the couple of days off coming up.

Mon & Tues - Rest
    Wed - Swim 50min 2k and 1hr Pilates
    Thurs - Nada
    Fri - 50min swim 1.9. Did a time trial again and knocked >1min off last time :)
    Sat - Zip

Week 3/4
    Things are not going well. Work is both really busy and stressful which is impacting my training (and health). All my great plans for the long weekend have been hampered by a throat infection. Not going to let this get to me I am in this for the long run.

Mon - Swim 1hr
    Tues - interval running 800s and 400s
    Wed - Swim 1hr
    Fri - Swim 1hr and run 55min (10k)
    Thur, Sat, Sun - Nada

18 weeks until Dublin and I haven't been on the bike much in the last number of weeks. At least with the clock changed I hope to start getting out in the evening.

Week 4/4

This has been dreadful block and I am glad to see the back of it. Finished my last round of Antibiotics today and the throat is a lot better so I am ready and looking forward for the next block.

Mon - Thurs - nothing, sick in bed
    Fri - Swim, 45mins, main 15 x 100m
    Sat - Swim, 45mins, 100's off 2min
    Sun - Spin class 45mins, gym work 30mins

Summary Block 3
    Bike x4 8hrs
    Swim x12 12hrs40
    Run x5 6hrs
    Other x5 3hrs30

Mon - Swim 1 hr, 1/2 time drills, finished with some sprints.
    Tues - 5km run, slow. It was such a lovely evening, I thought it would be a good idea to let the kids cycle beside me as I jog. Got 800m before the first "I'm tired", may not be doing this until they're a bit fitter.
    Wed - Swim 45mins, 1800m: 100m w/u, 600 drills, 2x(3,1,1), 100w/d
    Wed - 1hr S&C

Thurs - 1hrs20mins hill repeats, managed better than I thought I would considering I have hardly been on the bike in a good few weeks. Was really consistent with 11secs between the the last 3 laps (15m37, 15m38 &15m27).
    Fri - Swim 1hr, 2km Run 4.6 @5.15 km/hr
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Cycle, 84km, 3hrs23mins 24.8 km/hr. Enjoyed the spin and felt good. Headwind all the way back, but I picked up the effort in the second half, the legs have been tired all day after it.

Weekly Total
    Bike x2 4hrs45 (107k)
    Swim x3 2hrs45 (~6k)
    Run x2 1hr (9.6k).
    Other x1 1hrs

Mon - Swim, 1 hr, mainly drills 2.1k
    Tues - Cycle, 1h30 in the hills. Not as strong as last week, some tiredness in the legs from Sunday. Having problems getting the data off the Garmin (again) - v frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What garmin are you trying to get the info off? I've been having a lot of problems the last while getting run info off my 910xt, sometimes will be 'transferring data' for around 15 mins but nothing actually transfers. Next day I do the exact same thing and found it better. One thing that has worked for me a bit of the time, turning off the laptop and garmin and starting again, silly as it sounds it can do the trick.

Yes I have the 910xt too.

History:
    First had problems last year after, I had purchased directly from Garmin so got in touch with them, they were v slow to get back. In the end the best they could do was tell me to do a hard reset of the watch, which meant I lost about 3 months data, this didn't fix it. In the end the sent me a replacement Ant+ stick which fixed the problem.
    Recently:
    I did an upgrade of Business Express (BE) when prompted (which I now fully regret), and then started to have the same problems. I tried everything, turning on off, removing BE and downloading again, going back to ant agent, etc when I contacted Garmin Support they suggested "hard reset".
    Current problems:
    I went and purchased another Ant+ stick. I managed to transfer the files to the computer the first time but it didn't automatically transfer to garmin connect. I did a manual import and was able to find the files. However since then it seems that the files are transferring to the computer however I can't find them at all when trying to import them (which in itself is a pain). If anyone came across this issue before and has a fix I would be really grateful.

Wed - swim 55mins, 2.1k, 600 drills, then 100's
    Wed - S&C and short jog afterwards.

Wed - swim 55mins, 2.1k, 600 drills, then 100's
    Wed - S&C and short jog afterwards.

• Advertisement

Thurs - 2.5k run,12k bike,2.5k run - no time, lovely evening to be out.
    Fri - Swim 45 mins 2k - (500 drills, 200's), Run 4km easy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

cart man wrote: »
    Mon - Swim 1 hr, 1/2 time drills, finished with some sprints.
    Tues - 5km run, slow. It was such a lovely evening, I thought it would be a good idea to let the kids cycle beside me as I jog. Got 800m before the first "I'm tired", may not be doing this until they're a bit fitter.
    Wed - Swim 45mins, 1800m: 100m w/u, 600 drills, 2x(3,1,1), 100w/d
    Wed - 1hr S&C

Did same with a forest walk in Cavan. 1 km, "I'm tired", 2km "I'm not walking" 2km walk carrying two kids. Near killed me.

Sat - Rest
    Sun - 80km 3hr - fairly much the same route as last week and 2km/hr faster, I'd love to say I am improving at that rate but in reality it was half as windy. Enjoyable spin, sun was out all day but still needed plenty of layers.

Weekly Total
    Bike x3 5hrs (~120k)
    Swim x3 2hrs40 (6.2k)
    Run x3 1hr10 (~12.5k).
    Other x1 1hrs

Mon - Swim 1hr 2.1k
    Tues - Nothing, not feeling the love, busy in work and low in energy
    Wed - Swim 50min approx 1800 (600 drills)

Feeling tired, work and kids giving me no break. But also low in energy and motivation, won't get anything done tomorrow. planning to put a big push over weekend.

OK Thursday - Saturday didn't get anything done. I did have a goodnight out on Thursday though! Hopefully I have reset my mojo and will keep the head down and get a back to consistency.

Mon - Swim 2.1k
    Wed - Swim 1.8k
    Sun - Cycle 75km, avg 27kph, flat but slight wind. expected crap weather and dressed for that, it turned out to be quite nice and I was overheating the wholetime.

Not my greatest week ever, glad to have it behind me. Oh one positive, I did do a 1km swim PB!

Mon - 1hr S&C and 1hr Swim, can't remember what but was pushed hard and coped well.
    Really happy with my swimming. It shows that consistency pays - swimming is the one thing that I always make.

Tues - rest?
    Wed - Swim 1hr, I am averaging a higher pace and feeling comfortable with it (measured by swimming faster than people I used to be slower), 5k jog - v easy with 5-6 strides thrown in
    Thurs - Nada
    Fri - Swim 45s 1.8k, I was meant to go for a long run later in the day but the weather really put me off. other - "but what if it is like that on race day ?" me "it better flippin' not".
    Sat - the weather looked ok in the morning and free morning from coaching teh kids meant I got hilly 60k in early in the day, 2h40. 1st half on my own, initially the legs weren't playing ball but they kicked in after a while. 2nd half met up with others and took it easier as we chatted. Probably a good thing as I plan to head out tomorrow again and the legs are tired enough from the spin.

Sat (bonus swim) - with races quickly approaching I figured I better get some OW swimming, so when the opportunity came to get into the Irish sea I had to take it. My feet were really cold, and had to blow hard to keep my face from freezing up, but after a while I managed to adapt. With the exception of the coldness it was a perfect evening for a swim. Not sure how long I lasted but I did 1.4k.
    Looking forward to the next one. Any chance that the temperature can raise a couple of degrees in the next week?

Sun - 82k @27 kph, a bit breezy, but dry :) got a 3km run off the bike that seemed v slow. Should have brought some food with me on the bike, have learnt my lesson.

Mon - 1hr S&C and 1hr Swim
    Wed - Swim 1hr and 5k jog
    Fri - Swim 45m 1.8k,
    Sat - 60k and 1.4ow
    Sun - 82k with 3k run off the bike

Salvaged the week in the end with a few good days. Training proper starts now!

• Advertisement

Mon -
    1hr swim nearly all drills.
    5k steady run. Started off slow but as the weather started to turn I picked up the pace. Concentrated on my form, hopefully it is improving.
    1hr s&c.

Advertisement