Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delusions of Respectability

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Tues - nada
    Wed - swim pushed hard
    Thurs - day in the spa, massage etc :). Brick session B,R,B,1/2R,B. Totals: 26k bike, 4.5 run.
    Fri - Swim 50mins, 100's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

cart man wrote: »
    Tues - nada
    Wed - swim pushed hard
    Thurs - day in the spa, massage etc :). Brick session B,R,B,1/2R,B. Totals: 26k bike, 4.5 run.
    Fri - Swim 50mins, 100's

Thursday sounds good. Could do with incorporating that into my weekly plan.

Thursday sounds good. Could do with incorporating that into my weekly plan.

I am in training for the Gentlemens Triathlon: Steamroom -Sauna - Caladarium

last week:
    Mon - 1hr swim, 5k run, 1hr s&c.
    Wed - swim 1hr
    Thurs - Brick: 26k bike, 4.5 run.
    Fri - Swim 50mins
    Sunday - Carlow Tri, Cycle home 75k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cycle home after the Carlow Tri?? Did you have a bag with all your gear or someone to take it for you?? Fair play!

• Advertisement

Hi Joey, I took an hour break before heading :) and someone took my stuff, it was my longest spin on my TT though and my trisuit was not the most comfortable after a while. I didn't find it that bad, suggests I could probably could have pushed harder in the race however this was a C race and getting my weekly long spin is important to me.

last week:
    Mon - 1hr swim, 1hr s&c.
    Wed - swim 1hr
    Fri - swim 50mins
    Sunday - Cycle 75k (hills); OW Swim >1km, was in the water for about 30mins total - a bit choppy

Not a great week with work and family stuff getting in the way, which is likely to be the case again this week. I am doing Athy Oly this week so I suppose that can be considered a v long taper.

25-21 May
    Mon - 1hr Swim* & 1hr S&C
    Wed - 1hr Swim*
    *can't remember what but they were all fast
    Thurs - Short run/bike brick set
    Fri - Swim (11131114111,sprints)
    Sat - TriAthy Olympic
    Swim:
    Thought the swim went well, but the time didn't suggest that. I kept a straight line near the bank most of the way up stream (race briefing said we turn around the vodafone buoy, so when I saw the buoy even though I thought it was a bit early I started crossing the river to go around it only to discover that the lane rope continued and there was a another buoy much further ahead). When I made the turn it was like I had outboard engine attached, however I kept veering over to the bank. I tried to swim towards the centre to benefit of the strongest flow but after a while decided to forget it and just picked the straightest line. Passed people from at least 3 different waves! Told I was 8 out of the water from my wave. Ended up 12 seconds faster than last year?? After all the training I had hoped to have gained more. However when I compare it to "The Adversary" I halved the 4 minute gap from last year. Also the winners swim times were 6+ mins slower than last year (granted the top guys were doing the sprint). Still trying to understand why the difference would be so little.
    T1:
    Efficient and fast v happy up to ...
    Bike:
    Got up to the mount line and it was completely blocked with people fumbling to get on their bike, tried to squeeze through and messed up my flying mount, shoe came off, had to get off the bike and run back and get it meanwhile the water bottle also went flying when I put the bike down.
    Rest of the bike was fairly uneventful, breeze was a bit stiff but was able to keep picking people off, however every so often was easily passed by the decent bikers while I looked on jealously. Had being doing well, was staying on the tri bars the whole time. About half way through, after the first u-turn there was a hard left followed by a slight incline. I took it as an opportunity to take my first drink, then not sure why but took it easy for a few minutes. It was only when I was passed by 2 guys with the 2nd blatantly drafting that I came alive, decided to chase them to see how long the drafting would continue/would he be caught. Then a group of 6 swooshed past and joined the other 2 so suddenly there was a group of 8 with 3 of them all from the same club! Off they rode into the distance. I don't know why this pi$$ed me off but it did/does..
    Really enjoyed the last 10km back into town with the tailwind. Ended up 2 mins down on last year, really disappointed with this and cant explain it fully.
    T2:
    Reasonably fast, could have shaved a few seconds off at most (was a minute quicker in each transition on last year). At this stage I am almost exactly on the same time as I was a year ago, if I was going to better it I was going to have to do well on the run.
    Run:
    Liked the new course. Considering I haven't been running as much as I wanted/should/at all I was hoping for 50mins, kept all my splits fairly consistent around 5mins per km, was happy to beat my goal by 30 sec and last years run/overall time by 4 minutes. Finished the race 30 seconds behind The Adversary, ah well better luck next time..

Glad to have done the race, didn't enjoy the waiting around but otherwise a good day and some food for thought to think about over the next few weeks.

1-7 June
    Mon - Swim
    Wed - Swim main set 3x(300,3x100)
    - Duathlon in Phoenix Park. Happy with the first run, bike for most part went well, both transitions I aced, last run was 1 minute slower than first. More work to do, beat those I needed to and closed the gap on he who beat me in Athy.
    Fri - Swim main set (4x400,6x100)

Poor weeks training with work and family life (eg Mini all Irelands) getting in the way again. The project that has me so busy in work goes live on Monday so hopefully if that goes smoothly I will be able to get back to the training levels I was doing a few months ago.

8 - 15 June

Mon - swim 40min, 4.5 jog, 1 hr S&C
    Wed - swim 40min, bray aquathlon: swim was sloppy, transition good, run good (for me) - bar turning right following another lad on the promenade instead of left - I had to double back after a bit, not sure how much time I lost. Disappointed I didn't get a swim split (my battery ran dead on my watch too so unsure what my run was.

• Advertisement

8 - 15 June

Mon - swim 40min, 4.5k jog, 1 hr S&C
    Wed - swim 40min, bray aquathlon
    Sat - HOBC Tri - swim started off well, was happy to have a cruise ship to sight off, getting to the first buoy I started to lose ground (water?) and was suddenly engulfed by loads of swimmers. Between the first and second buoys my stroke fell apart and it became more of wrestling match as we all swam right on top of each other. After that the rest of swim was fine. Happy overall that the swim went well, I was relaxed and comfortable throughout, sighting went well and was not feeling like it exhausted me. Found the hill to transition tough and lost some places. Transition went well.
    Not much positive to say about the bike, shaved a couple of seconds off last year. Lost some time because of the traffic (cars/Buses) on the route. T2 went well.
    I had mixed emotions that the run was changed from 7k to 5k, I would have liked to compare my run vs previous years however as I haven't been doing too much running I was happy. However I would have been happier again if they had dropped the first 2k! Concentrated on short quick stride to get up the hill, was surprised at how few people passed me, but I suppose anyone who was anyway fit would have been ahead of me after the bike. Caught someone I knew at the turnaround point, he upped the pace and I kept with him. With 1km to go he said he couldn't keep the pace up and I was actually able to up the pace for a strong finish (for me) - new course PB, sub 1:20 (with a shortened run that was always going to be the case)

16 - 23 June (8 weeks to go)

Mon - Swim 50mins mainset: 12 x 50, 2x (4x100, 4x50's fast),
    Mon - 40mins jog/run,
    Mon - 1hr pilates

If only I could do as much every day.

Tues - Run: 15 w/u, 30mins @4:51/km, w/d 10mins
    Did the run late in the day and it was still hot. Was consequently tired at swimming.

Wed - Swim 55mins, 200 w/u, 400 drills, (4x50,2x100,200)x2R, w/d 500 (50's on 46sec) Total 2.3k
    Wed - Cycle: 1hr easy recover spin 24.1km

16 - 23 June (8 weeks to go)

Mon - Swim 50mins, 40mins jog, 1hr pilates
    Tues - Run 55mins
    Wed - Swim 55mins
    Wed - Cycle: 1hr easy
    Thurs - Brick: 1h5min bike, 20mins run 1/2 hard 1/2 easy
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 160km in 6hrs - Tourdeburren. Need to do more biking....
    Sun - 40mins easy run

Ramped it up this week and tired now. Want to keep this level up, with a busy week ahead I'll need to move somethings around but.

Mon - swim 55min mainset pyramid 50's/250.
    Tues - 15min w/u & w/d, 6 x 1k 4:15, 2 min ri (walking)

21-28 June
    Mon - Swim 55min
    Tues - 11k
    Wed - Swim 1hr, another couple of seconds off my 1k TT, would have been faster but for the traffic in the lane
    Thurs - Cycle - 1hr
    Fri - Turbo 1hr, easy
    Sat - 5mile race - knocked nearly 6 minutes off 3 years ago, gosh I was slow
    Sun - Swim o/w sea 1.5k, Cycle 1.5hrs

Happy I got out every day, would have rathered getting more time/distance done but busy family week. With schools finished now I hope to get more done.

29 - 5 July

Mon - Swim 55mins, 1hr S&C
    Tues - W/U, 3x(10min@5min/k, 5mins@4:30min/k),W/D. 13km.
    Tues - O/W Swim 1km (Lovely evening for it. Realised that my suit needs to replacing though :( there is no end to the cost of triathlon).
    Wed - Swim 55mins w/u, 600 drills w fins, 3x(3/1/1), w/d
    Wed - Duathlon in the Park. Legs were tired after the evening before, went out too fast and was nearly goosed after the first km. Managed to knock just under a minute off my previous time which I am happy with.
    Great little event, pity there wasn't another one next month.

29 - 5 July

Mon - Swim 55mins, 1hr S&C
    Tues - Run 13km. O/W Swim 1km
    Wed - Swim 55mins (am) Duathlon in the Park (pm)
    Thurs - Easy 4-5km jog
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - Bike 2:40hrs, 70k - sallygap
    Sun - LSR 17k @5:45min/km, O/w swim 1.5km.

Brief summary of where I am: Swim on plan, biking not where it needs to be, running better than I thought I would. Not sure if I will have enough time to improve the biking at this stage :(

6 - 12 July

Mon - Swim 55min lots of drills, 1hr S&C
    Tues - Run 10wu/tempo 35/10wd 11k
    Wed - am Swim 55min 100's some with head up. pm Brick - 2hr bike with 35min run off

Work is not so busy now so I am getting more mid week opportunities. I don't enjoy solo training, can't see me ever going long with amount of training I would have to do on my own.

6 - 12 July

Mon - Swim 55min, 1hr S&C
    Tues - 56min
    Wed - Swim 55min
    - Brick - 2hr bike with 35min run off
    Thur - Pulse Aquathlon. Swim went well, run ok. Legs were tired from the previous 2 days efforts.
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 2 Provinces - swim ok, bike well, run better that Thursday.
    Sun - Bike 2.5-3hrs

Race went well, I have done it the last number of years and the swim is normally v calm (and warm). This year it was quite choppy, did well out to the first buoy, swallowed a mouthful of water which put me off for a bit. Regathered myself and carried on. Was happy enough with my sighting and pacing.
    Quick transition and onto the bike, felt my left hip and right hamstring tight for the first 5km, it loosened out then and I was ok. The there was a crosswind and tail wind for some of the bike out with a headwind the way back in. I was passed by 6 in the first 10km and 3 in the 2nd, I passed 7 so net -2.
    Quick T2, and out on the run. Caught a couple of people before the turning point, then a few juniors passed me - they make it look easy. Strong finish. Still 1/2 minute behind he that I should beat.
    Really well organised race, couldn't fault a thing (well would have preferred better weather, but the isn't Lanesboro Tri Clubs fault). The food and ice-cream were great. I would strongly recommend this race to anyone next year.

• Advertisement

13 - 19 (4 weeks left)

Mon - Rest/S&C 1hr
    Tues - o/w swim am 30mins, lovely to get out before work. Think I saw jellyfish :(
    Tues - run: w/u, 2k slow run, 2k run, 1 run faster twice, w/d - 15k
    Wed - swim 55min, easy enough session with plenty of drills, 300/100's
    Wed - Bike: 2:15hrs, 60k, a lovely evening to be out, a bit of hills
    Thus - Brick: 90min bike easy enough, 30 mins run - it was miserable, where did the summer go?
    Fri - Swim: 400 fin drills, 15x100's between 1:30-1:40 with 20ri

13 - 19 (4 weeks left)

Mon - Rest/S&C 1hr
    Tues - o/w swim 30mins. Run: 15k
    Wed - swim 55min. Bike: 60k
    Thus - Brick: 90/30
    Fri - Swim: 1hr
    Sat - Run 14miles, 2:09. Probably longest ever, was doing it slow and was comfortable the whole way round.
    Sun - Bike 100km. V Easy jog 4km. Stop/start due to punctures etc but good to get out in nice weather, happy the forecast earlier in the week had been wrong :)

20 - 26 July

Mon - Swim 1hr/S&C 1hr
    Tues - Rest
    Wed - swim 55min. Bike: 2hr hills
    Thus - Rest
    Fri - Swim: 1hr
    Sat - Bike 70km with easy run 7km. O/W Swim 1.7km
    Sun - Run 15miles, 2:20.

Took an extra rest day which I needed. Happy with how running is progressing, would be happier if my biking was better.

27 July - 2 August

Mon - Swim 1hr 2.3k
    Tues - Run Intervals 1kms/500m's Total 13k
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - 55min OW, 2.3k. Brick 90min bike/30min run
    Fri - Swim 40min Easy main (50,100,150,..250,200...)
    Sat - 95k cycle. Manged to do a lot of the route, looking forward to it now.
    Sun - 10mile 5:45/km

So all the big work is done. For the most part I have been consistently being building all year and should be happy with my progress. I think my swim should be Respectable, lately I have been sighting better and swimming straighter, my plan is to take it easy on the swim and come out fresh.
    Considering the start of the year I literally "began to run" doing 1 minute walking 1 minute running, I am delighted where my running is at. That I am considering doing the Dublin City Marathon this year is amazing.
    My biking is not where I would like it to be and where it was last year, but I did v little running last year and reckon combined I am better off.
    So with one week to go, I can look forward to the race knowing that I prepared the best I could whilst juggling everything else I have going on and can just look forward to the experience.

3 - 9 August (race week)

Mon - 2 x 2.4k swim (pool&OW)
    Tues - Easy jog 1h10
    Wed - 1 Hr turbo
    Thurs - 50min bike/15min run. Race registration. There was muted atmosphere in the "expo" which I found a bit disappointing tbh. There was limited choice of merchandise and there was nothing that appealed to me.
    Fri - Easy swim 1.5k. Race briefing – nothing hugely insightful that warranted a second trip to the park, only went on the Friday as they (lately) decided that we could put our T2 bags in on Friday and it saved me having to go to both DL and PP on Saturday.
    Sat - easy cycle and run approx 40mins. Racked bikes and went to look at the swim course. The swim course was not set up???? This should have been done so we could have seen the actual layout.

Sunday Race Day
    Early up, small breakfast and out to DL. Thought I had loads of time as I didn't need to set up transition etc, got caught up in the excitement and buzz - there was a great atmosphere. Ended up rushing myself in the end.

And we were off... as I was rushing I ended up further back in the wave than I had planned, this meant I had to weave through a lot of people.
    Consciously wasn't pushing too hard on the swim, was happy with how everything was going. In the briefing we were told to go past the sighting buoy, out 1km to the first main buoy where we were to turn left and go 500m to the next buoy and from there to the last buoy where we were to turn right and head for shore. The first issue was that all the swimmers in the first wave had the same colour hats as the buoys which made sighting more difficult. Then there was an extra buoy that had not been mentioned. I along with many others went to go to the left of the third one getting ready to turn right when we were told that we had to go around the other side of it. Aggghh very annoying, not sure how much time was lost.
    My race plan was to take it really easy for the swim and to do negative split on bike. Expected loads of kicking and shoving, however it all went swimmingly (excuse the pun). Was really enjoying the swim and would have been happy to swim all day if I needed to. Slipped on the pontoon getting out of the water but then got going. It was great running through the crowds to transition, the atmosphere was fantastic. Loads of cheers of encouragement. Amazing that so many people got up so early to cheer on others (thanks all).
    Grabbed my transition bag and went for a quick change (relatively slow change if I am honest, ran into a few people that I knew, I knew I had a good swim).

Out on the bike in 41mins, all going well. Really enjoyed the first 20k, especially across the Eastlink and up the quays. I passed more people that I expected but after about 10k a lot of people started passing me :(
    In and out of the park with no issue, first load of drafters passed me down the hill after Castleknock (idiots).
    Took a new bottle at the first aid station, missed a bottle on my first attempt, probably should have practiced beforehand.
    Between Clonee and Dunboyne a large peloton flew past me, there must have been 20-30 people in it. I heard the motorbike official come up behind me and was delighted that they were going to get caught, unfortunately he didn't do anything and while it thinned out a bit he just rode on into the sunset and was quickly followed by the group. Another guy came past me and asked did I see the Sunday cycle group come by..
    Really enjoyed the closed roads and was keeping a steady pace, was feeling confident of getting close to 3hrs goal. Was passed by X at the food station in Maynooth (probably not the brightest idea to have the water stop between all those ramps. Trying to single-highhandedly get rid of a bottle whilst collecting another and keeping balance going over the ramps was difficult). I had fully expected to be passed by X 30-40km earlier so knew I going well.
    I had practiced the Anglers Rest hill a number of times and struggled a bit, managed to fly up no issues so was delighted. Dismount and transition went really well. I was out on the run course in around 3hr30.

Loved the run. There were so many people cheering and shouting words of encouragement it was brilliant. My plan was to try to stick to 5min/km and walk the aid stations, this worked a treat. After the first lap I just looked forward to getting the blue band as I knew the next time I would get one I would nearly be finished. Did I say I loved the run J

Turning at the roundabout and heading down Chesterfield Avenue for the last time was amazing, I had all this energy and sprinted past everyone. To get to the turning cones and have everyone ahead of me having to turn whilst I had a clear stretch to the finish line was brilliant. Only bettered by seeing my time – smashed 5:30. All the hard work since the start of the year had paid off. Words can’t explain how thrilled I was.

I waited around the finish line for my friends and club mates, sampled the beer, the food and the massage. I soaked up all of the positive energy that was there on the day. Everyone to a man outperformed their expectations and had a great day. We partied late into the night and I slept soundly when I did go to bed until I was rudely awoken by the early Alarm for Monday swim that I foolishly forgot to turn off. The only real bum note to a fantastic day.

All in, it was a great experience. A well run event. Fantastic support and I am delighted to be part of it.

Going to take it easy for the next few days and think about what my next goal will be.

Advertisement