Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sketchy LogBook Situation

Options
  • 19-01-2015 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I might be being paranoid here but I just sold a car to a guy who wanted to use it as scrap.

He was trying to put his name in the seller section of the log book instead of mine.

The whole situation seemed very sketchy but the logbook got filled out properly in the end and I posted it.

Being a bit paranoid I think that he might of filled out fake name and address.

Should I be concerned about this at all?

If he did fill out made up info would I be liable in any way?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Normally Shannon will issue a new log book to the new owner's address. If that address is wrong or fake then the log book will be returned to them and afaik they will still have you down on their system as the registered owner. Might be worth ringing them to check this out and at least tell them you no longer have possession of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

I just rang them and they said to call back in a few days.

They said to ring back in a few days and they can tell me if the car was transferred successfully.
    Apparently if the address is wrong they said they would investigate it from there.

Asked them if they could keep a record of me calling about not being in possession of the car but "they have no such facility"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

bazz26 wrote: »
    Normally Shannon will issue a new log book to the new owner's address. If that address is wrong or fake then the log book will be returned to them and afaik they will still have you down on their system as the registered owner. Might be worth ringing them to check this out and at least tell them you no longer have possession of the car.

I dont think thats right IMO, I sold a car about 5 years ago to some one of the travelling community and the address he gave was fake IMO, not my problem, once you sign the book the car is not longer your problem.

I dont think thats right IMO, I sold a car about 5 years ago to some one of the travelling community and the address he gave was fake IMO, not my problem, once you sign the book the car is not longer your problem.

Id be inclined to agree with you but only because it makes me feel better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

dubbeat wrote: »
    Id be inclined to agree with you but only because it makes me feel better :p

Well, you can check the motor tax website and see if they have logged a change of ownership if that makes you feel any better.

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d80a4cbd2439934aa4a9ec81f5af7cf458.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0Mb30Le0?page=welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OP you can check online at motortax.ie and see if the change of ownership goes through.
    Usually takes about 5 days or so from when you post the VLC.
    BTW it can take another week or so before the new VLC is actually posted out.

cool,

Ill prob have to wait a few days before its processed

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Once it's filled in and sent I wouldn't care if he gave me the address as 105 Makeup Street, Faketown, Dublin 100.

It's filled in to what they wanted sent away, you have done what is required by law by you, whatever happens to the car afterwards is not your problem.

Advertisement