Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compact grill/oven combination for a LHD van

Options
  • 19-01-2015 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Looking at a LHD van and like most LHD it only has a 3 ring hob - no grill / no oven (can't understand why they are like this but that's another story!).

Can anyone recommend a grill/oven combination (can they also include a microwave?) that would:
    • work well at most campsites where electric hookup is available and not trip switches etc.
    • be compact enough/smallish capacity to fit on an average size worktop.
    • produce nice food (grill sausages / make toast / heat pizza & garlic breads etc. It wont be cooking a Sunday roast for 2 hours!)
    I've seen threads where these come available every now and then in Aldi / Lidl. One of these would be fine, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more for one that I could get sooner and could also be used outside of the van, when needed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We have one from Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which), and have no problems tripping hook up's. We wouldn't have chanced it where we've known that a site has low amps though. It's light, so no problem lifting it out of it's storage. It's about the same size as a microwave. Can't comment on the toast from it - we have a toaster in the van too!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Macy0161 wrote: »
    We have one from Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which), and have no problems tripping hook up's. We wouldn't have chanced it where we've known that a site has low amps though. It's light, so no problem lifting it out of it's storage. It's about the same size as a microwave. Can't comment on the toast from it - we have a toaster in the van too!

Thanks Macy!
    Any idea how much roughly it cost?
    Do ye use it to grill sausages / heat pizza & garlic breads etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

We have one from Lidl/Aldi. It was €50 or €60 as far as I remember. It has done pizzas, wings, cuisine de France bread and all sorts. You could grill with it but it's awkward pulling a hot tray in and out of it and finding somewhere safe to set it down. You might get one in Currys or Harvey Norman. I see they have the grills with the hot plates on top so they may do the grills on their own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi.
    We have one of the halogen ovens from lildy which does everything we want from an oven.Takes 5.5 amps iirc tripped breaker in doolin worked perfectly everywhere in France, Great for oven chips and the for freshening up french bread (wet it under tap then bake dry )

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Thanks Macy!
    Any idea how much roughly it cost?
    Do ye use it to grill sausages / heat pizza & garlic breads etc?
    My recollection is under 40, but could be wrong.

We've used it for all those, and roasting chicken breasts. But we didn't use it as much as we thought. We got given a mid size george forman, and tbh, the oven got dropped for that (we do have a gas oven/ grill in the van too if needed).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Just bear in mind if you're thinking of using a standalone mini oven:

"Risk of fire!
    The distance between the appliance rear side and the wall should be at least 10 cm, with at least a clear 10 cm above the appliance and 5 cm to each side. For this reason the appliance may not be used, for example, in cupboards or similar. Should it be so used, there is likely to be insufficient ventilation for the appliance, increasing both the risk of fire or of it being damaged."

Yeah, thanks for those stats moodrater.

Would never use it from within a cupboard. Would probably have it stored in a cupboard when travelling and position it correctly on the worktop when using.

Electric grill/ovens in a camper. :confused:

Only so much you can boil/fry!!:D

I'd go for gas. Easier find bottles than sockets.

• Advertisement

We mainly stay on sites, so paying €4 (or more in some cases) for hook up anyway. Plenty of sockets in the van in the right places in our case!

Extortion charging that for lecky. You'd be hard pushed using 44kWh in a night.

I'd go for gas. Easier find bottles than sockets.

Maybe, but easier fit an electric-powered grill/oven than a gas-powered equivalent.

Mini Oven available from this Thur 19 Feb in Aldi
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-19-feb/products-detail-page/ps/p/mini-oven-3/

Might be of interest to some.

Advertisement