Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone to fix CD player in Athlone

• 19-01-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

Does anyone know somewhere that might fix a CD player for me in Athlone? A quick google leads me to believe that the CD reader needs replacing. I'm giving it to charity so I'd like somewhere reasonable, if possible.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

glen25 wrote: »
    Does anyone know somewhere that might fix a CD player for me in Athlone? A quick google leads me to believe that the CD reader needs replacing. I'm giving it to charity so I'd like somewhere reasonable, if possible.

Cheers.

I'd be interested to find out whether it's cheaper to fix or replace the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭glen25

It's a pretty decent system so I thought someone might get some use out of it if I could get it fixed at the right price. Not many CD fixers in athlone it seems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

More a case of there's no money in fixing CD players :P

The lasers tend to be specific so unless you're selling 100's of a type of CD player, there's no point in keeping parts for it :)

If you find the part/laser anyone that's stripped a few computers should be able to change it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is it just skipping and mis-tracking or dead?

Haha I know well there's no money in it!!

I didnt realise the CD reader was specific to the CD unit. I do a bit of volunteer work and had promised the CD player to one of the teenagers so was hoping I could get it fixed for him..

It seems like CD player (Sharp CD-DP2400) isnt recognising the CD's when they are put it (its a 3 disc changer). It goes to disc 1 and whirrs like its looking to read it and then when it cant find it, it then skips to disc 2 and then on to disc 3. I thought it might have been the CD's so tried loads of different ones.

Thanks for the constructive responses folks. Hopefully I'll be able to get it sorted..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

It was a one-off but they might be able to put you in touch with someone local who took part.

http://www.westcd.ie/index.php/56-news/516-repair-cafe-saturday-coming-to-athlone-22nd-nov

That's great info, thanks. I'll give them a call and see if they can help me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Good luck - It's a nice idea they have, but I suspect that fixing a CD changing CD player might be a bit high-tech for them. Still, good to see a bit of community initiative like that in the tough times a lot of people are going through at the moment. Let us know how you get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Have you checked for a CD stuck in the unit? They can become displaced and the symptoms can show similar to what you're describing. It's probably not that, but I had that exact experience and thankfully the repair shop found it and there was no charge. Place is now long gone sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

malachy47 wrote: »
    Have you checked for a CD stuck in the unit?

And have you tried switching it off and on again ? .;)

• Advertisement

Haven't checked to see if there's a CD stuck, but I might now! Done the whole turning on and off and that didn't fix it, surprisingly enough ;-)

I'll give that crowd a call on Monday and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies folks..

I contacted the Westmeath Co Co and got in touch with a guy that was involved with the Repair Cafe last year. CD player is back working and I can now donate to charity! Thanks everyone for the input.

Advertisement