Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making best use of a credit union account

Options
  • 19-01-2015 6:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just opened a credit union account - somewhere to put any extra money I have that might help me down the line if I need a loan or something like that!

My question is, if I was to apply for a loan in the future, would it look better to put in one lump sum now and occasionally add to it (like once a month or so), or would I better off to put in roughly similar amounts every week.

Surely both would make me come across as responsible with money etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Hi all,

I've just opened a credit union account - somewhere to put any extra money I have that might help me down the line if I need a loan or something like that!

My question is, if I was to apply for a loan in the future, would it look better to put in one lump sum now and occasionally add to it (like once a month or so), or would I better off to put in roughly similar amounts every week.

Surely both would make me come across as responsible with money etc?

Regular savings is what the CU look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dobsdave wrote: »
    Regular savings is what the CU look for.
    But if you have a lump of money and put it in now, they won't hold it against you.

Suppose, for example, you had about €2k in your current a/c over and above your regular needs, I'd suggest that you put most of it into your CU a/c. Hold back a little as a buffer in your current a/c so that you don't dip into overdraft if you hit an expensive month.

Then add regularly to your CU savings - weekly or monthly, depending on what is convenient for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Thanks for the replies!

I had intended adding all of my surplus savings from my bank a/c to my CU a/c immediately and only revisiting it every month or two.

What I might do now is move the bulk of it to the CU, but hold some back to ensure I have money every fortnight or so to add to my CU a/c, and proceed like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thanks for the replies!

I had intended adding all of my surplus savings from my bank a/c to my CU a/c immediately and only revisiting it every month or two.

What I might do now is move the bulk of it to the CU, but hold some back to ensure I have money every fortnight or so to add to my CU a/c, and proceed like that.

You can deposit money, weekly, monthly, bi-weekly etc into your credit union account via direct debit if you can't make into the office personally.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

You can deposit money, weekly, monthly, bi-weekly etc into your credit union account via direct debit if you can't make into the office personally.

I'll look into that, thanks!

• Advertisement

If you like you might drop into your CU sometime and say you are not looking for a loan now, but if you keep doing what you are doing, what are the chances of a loan of (say an amount…..be specific). I would approach the CU after about 3 or 4 months of regular payments of a fixed amount (preferably by standing order or direct debit)

Advertisement