Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'I just listened to (insert album) for the first time' thread

• 19-01-2015 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

So I had an idea the other day for a thread where users post albums they've only recently listened to, for the first time, and recommend or discuss them.
    No real rules, just a bit of casual discussion or appreciation.

It could be a relatively new release or a classic you've never quite gotten around to before, doesn't matter as long as you enjoyed it a whole lot!

I know this might cross over with the 'Now listening to' thread a bit. So if it devolves to just vid posting I'll close it.

Also, feel free to help me come up with a snappier title :P

So I'll go first, I just listened Symbolic by Death this week. Holy crap I love it!
    I had listened to Human and The Sound of Perseverance before and liked them, but Symbolic really hit a spot. Must check out some of their other albums I missed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I got nothing myself, but Symbolic was the one that introduced me to Death, awesome album :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I listened to Dirt by Alice in Chains and Iowa by Slipknot all the way through for the first time last week. Big fan of both bands and familiar with the singles but it was awesome to check out some deeper cuts I have never heard before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I listened to Dirt by Alice in Chains and Iowa by Slipknot all the way through for the first time last week. Big fan of both bands and familiar with the singles but it was awesome to check out some deeper cuts I have never heard before!

Is this the way music has gone - that people just check out the singles and deem themselves to be big fans. If you're a big Alice in Chains fan, the least you would have done is buy their main album and listen to it through.

Maybe it's just my old-school mentality, and the way everything is online now. Back when we only had tapes, it was nearly necessary to listen to the album without skipping songs, as it wasn't worth trying to fast forward the tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Is this the way music has gone - that people just check out the singles and deem themselves to be big fans. If you're a big Alice in Chains fan, the least you would have done is buy their main album and listen to it through.

Maybe it's just my old-school mentality, and the way everything is online now. Back when we only had tapes, it was nearly necessary to listen to the album without skipping songs, as it wasn't worth trying to fast forward the tape.

As in I have listened to all their other albums aside from those, and have actively gone to see both bands live and they are constantly playing on my iPod, I'd listen to them over most other bands in my collection.

I'll put it this way, Metallica would be my favourite band, listened to them religiously all through my teens, however had never heard the album Master of Puppets all the way through until I had listened to them for a few years. I embarrassingly saw them live and thought that Disposable Heroes was a new song.

I wasn't as computer centric as I am nowadays, I used to just go to a record store, pick up an album, if theres a song I know on it I will skip to it, then on a car journey when I have a bit of time I'll stick on the full album. I still don't download or youtube songs, I rather pick up a full album on CD and work from there. I just happened to pick those 2 up in HMV recently as I had been after them for a while and finally found them.

I am guilty will alot of recent albums however of putting them onto iTunes and putting the singles onto a playlist, forgetting the remainder of the album. But eventually I do go back to those albums. Eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Back in the younger moodier days; Placebo were beautiful poets that spoke to all the confusion and misery in my life.

The gothic warblings of kinky confused whiny Brian was enough to speak to teenagery me, so when they were announced to play the Olympia I nabbed those nostalgic (over priced) tickets. Fifty beans - Dammit Brian, who ya think you are Billy Corgan??

So today, I decided to Spotify the s**t outta those boys with their newest pile of moans which is the 2013 album Loud Like Love.

A decent opener, chirpy even, maybe we've all grown up a little? That's grand, one listen and you can sing along with ease.

A few decent little tunes that have some heart to them and some misery of how social media has taken our souls and we're surrounded by "friends" by being online so much.

Nice piano pieces and final song titled Bosco - not what you think :P

All in all - 2 outta 5 stars - it'll grow on me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I gave up on Placebo long ago. A classic example of a band who just don't know when to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

So I've given Ihsahns "After" a whirl or two, I'm gravitating toward some of the heavier tracks on the album because that what I enjoy from Ihsahn but the lighter tracks are growing on me, especially the chorus of the title track. One funny thing I've noticed not about the album but about Ihsahns voice and the way its deteriorated over time (like so many vocalists voice do) is that he actually sometimes sounds like the kid from The Shining when he begins to shout "REDRUM." There's a sort of creaky door quality common in both their voices.

@2:49

@1:46

Advertisement