Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshwater fishing and overnight camping in Wicklow, any good spots?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Ideally I'd like to setup camp somewhere secluded by a lake or river, do some fly fishing, and then start a campfire and cook and eat what I've caught. I'd also like to do a little bushcraft. So any ideas welcome, and if accesible by public transport and/or a short hike all the better!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12 karlmarker

unless you have fished before its quite hard to catch fish,bring food with you

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fourthings

karlmarker wrote: »
    unless you have fished before its quite hard to catch fish,bring food with you

Ah I will of course, some fish to cook would just be a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Not sure from a fishing angle but I love the Royal Canal. There are beautiful spots along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Glenmalure! Could be tricky to get to though. But it is Beautiful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod note:

Depending on where you are you might need a license/permit to a) fish and b) camp. Do your research and know where you do and dont need those permits. If you don't have them you could be breaking the law, tresspassing, causing disturbance and/or damaging the environment.

As Karlmarker sas its not as easy as just going out and catching fish, particularly if you havn't done it before, and particularly if you're trying flyfishing. If you're familiar with fishing well and good, if you're not then I suggest you take lessons or only go out with someone more experienced than yourself. There are laws and good practice related to fishing that won't necessarily be obvious to you if you've just bought a rod and reel and are hoping for the best.

• Advertisement

Mod note:

Depending on where you are you might need a license/permit to a) fish and b) camp. Do your research and know where you do and dont need those permits. If you don't have them you could be breaking the law, tresspassing, causing disturbance and/or damaging the environment.

As Karlmarker sas its not as easy as just going out and catching fish, particularly if you havn't done it before, and particularly if you're trying flyfishing. If you're familiar with fishing well and good, if you're not then I suggest you take lessons or only go out with someone more experienced than yourself. There are laws and good practice related to fishing that won't necessarily be obvious to you if you've just bought a rod and reel and are hoping for the best.

Great points thank you, I had previously thought of permits and researching what is permitted on whatever land I choose to camp on, and whether or not it's private or piblicly owned. But I don't know of any nuances regarding fly fishing so lessons are probably a great idea. Although the camping is my primary purpose, fly fishing is just something I'm gonna try out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I was sitting on the banks of the Shannon at dawn one morning during the summer. Boat comes down river from town with 2 Inland Fisheries lads in it, telling me they're checking permits. Didn't concern me as I wasn't fishing, but they checked another lad nearby and then continued on south down the river.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Fourthings wrote: »
    Great points thank you, I had previously thought of permits and researching what is permitted on whatever land I choose to camp on, and whether or not it's private or piblicly owned. But I don't know of any nuances regarding fly fishing so lessons are probably a great idea. Although the camping is my primary purpose, fly fishing is just something I'm gonna try out

I've been going fishing since I was very young, and even after years of experience when I tried fly fishing it was a whole different ball game! Takes a lot of time and practice to get even half decent at - so just keep in mind that it won't be particularly straightforward in that regard.

I've been going fishing since I was very young, and even after years of experience when I tried fly fishing it was a whole different ball game! Takes a lot of time and practice to get even half decent at - so just keep in mind that it won't be particularly straightforward in that regard.

Yeah I'm starting to think I've been a tad niave about the fishing, I figured I'd just pop down the ole river and grab a couple fish for dinner, in retrospect that was a bit dumb... hehe. But I'm totally ok with putting the time in to learn and I am now considering lessons, anything to keep active and out of the pub is good in my eyes. But my primary search here is just to find a nice quiet place to camp by a fire

Fourthings wrote: »
    Yeah I'm starting to think I've been a tad niave about the fishing, I figured I'd just pop down the ole river and grab a couple fish for dinner, in retrospect that was a bit dumb... hehe. But I'm totally ok with putting the time in to learn and I am now considering lessons, anything to keep active and out of the pub is good in my eyes. But my primary search here is just to find a nice quiet place to camp by a fire

Its a fantastic hobby, a great excuse to get out and really enjoy a summers evening! But do get lessons, or learn from a friend, and put the time in and do it responsibly! Unfortunately a lot of people buy those cheap fishing kits in pound shops and can be quite cruel to the fish involved because they don't know what they're doing!/its not rocket science, but get into good habits at the start.

• Advertisement

Mod Note: Moved to the 'Wild Camping' forum - should be the best place for an informed reply!

Advertisement