Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear-mounted bike rack recommendations for Ford Focus hatchback

• 19-01-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

On foot of this thread, I'm in a similar position where I'm looking for decent rear-mounted, removable carriers and find myself somewhat hampered for want of options in having a Ford Focus hatchback (late 2008 UK reg). The sticking point appears to be the rear spoiler. Surprisingly limited given how prevalant the Focus is in both Ireland and the UK, but there ye go ...

So, anyone got any recommendations?

My criteria is rear-mounted rather than roof mounted, and something removable, so not so keen on the trailer-hitch format as I'll need to go get one fitted on top of getting a rack. Couldn't see myself carrying any more than two - maybe three on rare occasions - bikes at a go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Saria Bones RS 3

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/saris-bones-rs-3-bike-rack/

Evans cycles does it for €138 and if you add the PROMO Code 'SARISPAD'you can get the protection pads thrown in for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Has your car tow hitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

inc21 wrote: »
    Has your car tow hitch?
    Lemming wrote: »
    My criteria is rear-mounted rather than roof mounted, and something removable, so not so keen on the trailer-hitch format as I'll need to go get one fitted on top of getting a rack.

As I said; no - that'd be an expensive extra.

NBar, can the Saris Bones 3 be secured to the Focus? I've seen comments by people saying they've had to forgo the lateral straps so the rack isn't as secure as it could or should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Be careful with the Saris bones, you might have trouble with fitting on a Focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Be careful with the Saris bones, you might have trouble with fitting on a Focus.

I got one for girlfriend and she has a 2001 yaris and it said it wouldn't fit but it did as its very adjustable (saris bones RS 3)

• Advertisement

There might be a problem with the spoiler on the Focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91823506

i started this thread a while ago as i've a ford focus hatch.. the only complete solution is a tow-bar rack as far as i can see. im planning on putting on one in a while when the need to transport my bikes increases into the spring.. still using a buzzrack as outlined in the thread which just about cuts it for a single bike.. as you know the sloping nature of the boot makes it difficult to suspend a bike over the back of the car, also depending on the year, the hatch design doesn't lend itself well to using the lateral straps. im surprised there isnt a model out there to suit a focus given how many of the beggars are out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

I used this one for 3 years on my 2005 Mk2 focus the 2008 should be the same hatch shape. . The straps just tipped off the edge of the spoiler( mine was a Zetec with the slightly bigger spoiler. worked really well for me.

once set up for the car it takes about 30 seconds to actually fit it to the car.

http://www.halfords.ie/car-seats-travel-equipment/bike-racks-cycle-carriers/bike-racks-cycle-carriers/exodus-rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier-clamp-fitting

Its made by Mont blanc.
    They have 2 versions of it on their website.

http://www.montblancgroup.com/en/bike-carriers/rear-hanging-three-bike-bike-carrier-easy-go-11

http://www.montblancgroup.com/en/bike-carriers/rear-standing-two-bike-bike-carrier-easy-go-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There might be a problem with the spoiler on the Focus.

Not really, I use this one

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212359&productId=251011&storeId=11101

Yeah it rests on the spoiler but have transported bikes up and down the country with out issue (or damage)

Cheers lads!

Also have had Thule mentioned in my searches but their website lists every other Focus except the most common model (the mind boggles ... it really does), and a couple of racks by Yakima - the Super Joe and King Joe - if anyone has ever had any experience with them? I'm wary of whilst pictures show Ford's with them; they're american Ford cars ...

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Not really, I use this one

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212359&productId=251011&storeId=11101

Yeah it rests on the spoiler but have transported bikes up and down the country with out issue (or damage)

Sorry for misunderstanding. I meant, there might be a problem with the Saris Bones and the Focus. I wasn't referring to any other type of carrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

My criteria is rear-mounted rather than roof mounted, and something removable, so not so keen on the trailer-hitch format as I'll need to go get one fitted on top of getting a rack. Couldn't see myself carrying any more than two - maybe three on rare occasions - bikes at a go.

Sorry was just asking about the hook. If you did happen to have on one it would be the way to go.
    Got myself a thule 2 bike hitch one, after trying few strap jobs. Way way tidier, 2 sec on 2 sec off and only 80 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'm using the Saris Bones on a Focus (2010 model) and it works fine - I've never had any issues with the straps. I spent a lot of time looking and it was the only solid recommendation I could come up with (obligatory caveat emptor: note that they don'r actually list the Mk2 Focus as supported themselves). There will be a bit of pressure put on the top spoiler, but most of the weight should be carried by the bumper, and it's never been something that worried me. It's a good solid rack, if pricey. It's very configurable and so should fit on just about anything. We've had it carry a heap of bikes (albeit on the family bus) halfway across France several times.

JMcL wrote: »
    I'm using the Saris Bones on a Focus (2010 model) and it works fine - I've never had any issues with the straps. I spent a lot of time looking and it was the only solid recommendation I could come up with (obligatory caveat emptor: note that they don'r actually list the Mk2 Focus as supported themselves). There will be a bit of pressure put on the top spoiler, but most of the weight should be carried by the bumper, and it's never been something that worried me. It's a good solid rack, if pricey. It's very configurable and so should fit on just about anything. We've had it carry a heap of bikes (albeit on the family bus) halfway across France several times.

I believe the 2010 focus still has the rear lights on the sides of the hatch, rather than lower down on the body? If that's the case, you're using the same model Focus as myself.

Which version of the Saris bones are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

I believe the 2010 focus still has the rear lights on the sides of the hatch, rather than lower down on the body? If that's the case, you're using the same model Focus as myself.

Which version of the Saris bones are you using?

It's the Bones 3. Lights are on the sides of the hatch alright. They changed model I think in late 2010 (mine is the Mk2) , but to my eye, there wasn't any radical change above the cosmetic

Advertisement