Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to stay off the drink but think i am going insane

Options
  • 19-01-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Title says it all

I like the clarity, fitness gains , health benefits of staying off the drink but my mental state isn't going the right way and i find i'm alot more angrier these days

Currently on Day 19, planning to stay off it for atleast 2 months until a weekend away, then another 3 months after that until a holiday

Any help please i'm struggling here

How did you great people do it ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Jeremyr wrote: »
    Title says it all

I like the clarity, fitness gains , health benefits of staying off the drink but my mental state isn't going the right way and i find i'm alot more angrier these days

Currently on Day 19, planning to stay off it for atleast 2 months until a weekend away, then another 3 months after that until a holiday

Any help please i'm struggling here

How did you great people do it ??

You're only 19 days in, feeling like you're losing sanity is par for the course unfortunately (depending on how heavily/how long you drank for). For the first few weeks after I stopped drinking I felt the exact same as you. I honestly thought that nobody could have ever went through what I was suffering but then I found this forum which has helped me immeasurably. I'm 37 weeks sober now and I still get the odd feeling that it's all for nothing but overall my mental (not to mention physical) health is better than it has been in years.

Stick at it Jeremy. The change from being a heavy drinker to being totally sober can result in some pretty rank feelings but remember, it's all perfectly natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I'm in the same boat, possibly due to the fact that I am not going out, finding out that I am becoming very anti social, all my own fault..though the amount of people who DONT contact you when you are not drinking, it's like there is something wrong with you.Thank God for a dodgy website to look at films on and Blacklist to keep me going..off it since NYE, dont know how much longer, next week, next month ??

Advertisement