Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bmw e60 battery change - coding

• 19-01-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Have read up a fair bit on Google. Seems to be plenty of conflicting advice but almost bordering on consensus that if you swap a like for like battery you may get away without coding it.

I'm planning on putting a varta 110 ah heavy duty battery into the car. I'm pretty sure that is higher than what is there (but haven't actually checked yet). I suspect original battery is still in the car (2005 e60 523i). Battery has been on way out for some time and has finally died.

What damage could I do here by not coding? Car is currently declared off the road (and is) so jumping it and driving it to a garage is not an option. Do I need to tow it somewhere just to change a battery?! While car is off the road, I need to be able to move it within the private property it is currently in for access reasons.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Hi folks,

Have read up a fair bit on Google. Seems to be plenty of conflicting advice but almost bordering on consensus that if you swap a like for like battery you may get away without coding it.

I'm planning on putting a varta 110 ah heavy duty battery into the car. I'm pretty sure that is higher than what is there (but haven't actually checked yet). I suspect original battery is still in the car (2005 e60 523i). Battery has been on way out for some time and has finally died.

What damage could I do here by not coding? Car is currently declared off the road (and is) so jumping it and driving it to a garage is not an option. Do I need to tow it somewhere just to change a battery?! While car is off the road, I need to be able to move it within the private property it is currently in for access reasons.

Thanks very much.

It's not that it needs to be coded the car just needs to be told a new battery has being fitted fairly straight forward I've done one r two and not reset it and it's being fine

Advertisement