Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Lag in the evening

Options
  • 19-01-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭

Surprised that there has been no mention of this on here or maybe i just havent searched enough.

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Impact-to-internet-services/td-p/86972

Is there an official response from eircom on when this will be fixed? for those of us who want to use the internet at night for streaming/gaming ect its getting to be a pain in the ass.

Was weird also i rang broadband support about it and not one of the technicians advised about this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Calhoun wrote: »
    Surprised that there has been no mention of this on here or maybe i just havent searched enough.

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Impact-to-internet-services/td-p/86972

Is there an official response from eircom on when this will be fixed? for those of us who want to use the internet at night for streaming/gaming ect its getting to be a pain in the ass.

Was weird also i rang broadband support about it and not one of the technicians advised about this.
    Hi Calhoun

Apologies for the inconvenience created by this, at present I have no further update in relation to expected resolution timeframe but as soon as I do I will let you know.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hi Calhoun

Apologies for the inconvenience created by this, at present I have no further update in relation to expected resolution timeframe but as soon as I do I will let you know.

Thanks
    Al

Any idea when they will let you know ? Seems a bit ridiculous there has been no status update on this .

Hi Calhoun

Thanks
    Al

Any idea when they will let you know ?  Seems a bit ridiculous there has been no status update on this .
    Hi Calhoun

I have had confirmation that the cable break has been repaired today, A noticeable improvement should be experienced tonight.

Thanks
    Al

Excellent, i will keep an eye on it over the evening and let you know if its fixed.

The only reason this is a big concern is i am on a 5MB line as we cant get anything better where i live but i am paying for a higher package. When stuff slows down you can literally do nothing.

Will respond after i use it tonight.

Not fixed playing right now and i have between 1-5K ping when i normally get 20-30ping.  Any idea when this will be fix and is it impacting other suppliers?

Quite frustrating.

• Advertisement

Not fixed playing right now and i have between 1-5K ping when i normally get 20-30ping.  Any idea when this will be fix and is it impacting other suppliers?

Quite frustrating.
    Hi Calhoun

Feel free to pm me your land line number & I'll run some tests to make sure anything else is not contributing to this.

Thanks
    AL

Will PM you now but its definitely artificial throttling of the line. I work from home atm just to the weather with 2-3 people on the network and speeds are fine. Come 6-12AM and it goes to crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

The lag every evening is becoming a joke at this stage. I'm located 15 minutes outside of Oranmore and every evening between 6-12 my connection is dreadful. Any servers I ping outside of Ireland are over 100ms response which is completely unacceptable. I mainly use my broadband for gaming but its borderline impossible to play anything. Is there any word on this problem being fixed? Its definitely a congestion problem on the network even though eircom advertise uncongested broadband.

Yah it sucks I have Vodafone on looking for business and I wasn't really thinking of moving until this. 

I'm quite fed up as it means there ain't much gaming I can do in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It's been going on for the past 2 years, before that since we got Eircom BB it was flawless for gaming in the evenings. I ended up switching in the end but vodafone seem to be no better. For 2 months or so last summer it was fine then went bad again in September. I must have posted 200 times here and on eircoms forum in an effort to try getting it fixed but it made no difference

• Advertisement

Has been fine where we are for the past two years, since christmas week there seems to been a definite throttling going on. You only have to monitor latency rates during the day as soon as peak time hits they go from an average of 20-30 to well over 1K.

Someone on the eircom main forum was saying if they use a VPN they actually get perfect connection.

The reason i would switch is i am paying more for my line than i should be to get the highest possible speed in a crappy area (4MB), I need it for work ect but if this cant be solved i might as well be on a lower tariff elsewhere.

Seems like they are solving it slightly.  Between the hours of 6-10:30 you can expect latency of 1-2K, 10:30 -12:00 the ping is 500.

any update on checking the line?

any update on checking the line?

Hi [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Calhoun[/font]

I have run tests myself and asked our technical support department to look in to this for you. All tests conducted show no issues on the line itself and I can confirm that your connection seems stable too with no sign of any internal or external interference.

There is a case opened as you had logged a fault yesterday (reference number is 12644895)

The above case will be dealt with by technical support and you will be updated upon completion of this investigation which can have a four working day time frame.

It's also worth mentioning that there are on-going works to improve international routing (which in essence is the root of the issues you are experiencing) and works are set to continue. As soon as I have more information surrounding works on international routing I will make sure to post updates here.

Thanks
    Al

"It's also worth mentioning that there are on-going works to improve international routing (which in essence is the root of the issues you are experiencing) and works are set to continue. As soon as I have more information surrounding works on international routing I will make sure to post updates here."

As a customer that is no confort to me, if works are on-going they seem to be happening between 6PM and 12AM which would make me wonder why they cant be done outside of peak time use? Right now all i want to really know is, what the problem is and when it will be fixed.

If this cannot be fixed when i can change providor to something more affordable, as there is no benefit for me paying for the package i am on.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭willycat

It's always the same, Eircom throttles us on peak times, so we go through the most and busiest interconnection nodes in Europe. When I use my personal VPN, I can browse normally, watch videos, stream ...

When I don't use VPN, I can't even open some websites (timeout).

willycat wrote: »
    It's always the same, Eircom throttles us on peak times, so we go our the most and busiest interconnection nodes in Europe. When I use my personal VPN, I can browse normally, watch videos, stream ...

When I don't use VPN, I can't even open some websites (timeout).

I personally believe I shouldn't have to use a VPN to by pass the eircom routing.

I want the same service I have been getting for the past two years or at least acknowledge they can no longer deliver that so I can change provider / package .

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭willycat

Of course you shouldn't, but Eircom doesn't care. This issue was here where I joined, and is here half a year after that. Thank God EIRCOM just rised their prices so I can leave them without having to pay a fee or waiting until contract ends.

Good bye Eircom and your throttling!

The poster above was correct,  my net speed has slightly improved at night.  It was anywhere between 500-1K ping a night and now its anything between 120-300.

Apparently a network engineer looked at my line and its congestion but what i find amazing is that exactly between the hours of 6PM-12AM that it occurs. Actually had a funny incident where the tech support guy tried to imply it was my line filter and that it was a well organized intermittent error.  Nobody can answer why my experience for the past two years suddenly changed in such a dramatic but predictable manner.

Wont be cancelling my line right now as my i live in my inlaws and will be moving soon but lesson learned that eircom don't actually care. Not really surprised with a company gutted so many times and with many owners.

Advertisement