Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything I can do to improve my powerline ethernet speeds?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi all,

Over Christmas I managed to grab myself a pair of powerline ethernet adapters(TP-Link TL-PA251KIT), as my desktop is on the other side of the house and the wifi was ****e and it worked very well for my needs. We had UPC 30Mbps and I could get full speed over the powerlines, all good and all that.

Well today we got upgraded to 120Mbps and while I can get the full 120 when connecting my laptop directly to the modem, I can barely push 40Mbps over the powerline on my desktop.

I've established that the distance isn't the issue, as I tried my laptop through the powerline with the two adapters plugged into the same room and got very little improvement (about 1-2 Mbps extra). My connection status is showing a link speed of 100Mbps. There is a Cat5e cable going from the modem to the plug near the modem and a Cat5 cable going from the other plug to the desktop.

I should also mention that when transferring files from the desktop to the laptop (desktop plugged into powerline and laptop plugged directly into router) I can get around 8MB/s transfer speed but downloading to the desktop from the internet doesn't give me anything close to that.

Any ideas on what could be the issue?

Speed Test from Desktop (via powerline): Screenshotfrom2015-01-19193913_zpsae2dab56.png

Speed test form laptop(ethernet direct into modem): 10935387_10203745068804332_1894501155_o_zps9500f5c3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Over Christmas I managed to grab myself a pair of powerline ethernet adapters(TP-Link TL-PA251KIT), as my desktop is on the other side of the house and the wifi was ****e and it worked very well for my needs. We had UPC 30Mbps and I could get full speed over the powerlines, all good and all that.

Well today we got upgraded to 120Mbps and while I can get the full 120 when connecting my laptop directly to the modem, I can barely push 40Mbps over the powerline on my desktop.

I've established that the distance isn't the issue, as I tried my laptop through the powerline with the two adapters plugged into the same room and got very little improvement (about 1-2 Mbps extra). My connection status is showing a link speed of 100Mbps. There is a Cat5e cable going from the modem to the plug near the modem and a Cat5 cable going from the other plug to the desktop.

I should also mention that when transferring files from the desktop to the laptop (desktop plugged into powerline and laptop plugged directly into router) I can get around 8MB/s transfer speed but downloading to the desktop from the internet doesn't give me anything close to that.

Any ideas on what could be the issue?

Speed Test from Desktop (via powerline): Screenshotfrom2015-01-19193913_zpsae2dab56.png

Speed test form laptop(ethernet direct into modem): 10935387_10203745068804332_1894501155_o_zps9500f5c3.jpg

You should possibly have looked for a review first.
    One of the reviews ive seen on those devices displays the sane symptoms that you do.
    Also worth reading this:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

kippy wrote: »
    You should possibly have looked for a review first.
    One of the reviews ive seen on those devices displays the sane symptoms that you do.
    Also worth reading this:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

Ah well they were given to me by the GF so I didn't have much of a say on the model! But assuming there's nothing you can suggest I can do to help I'll just have to stick with these speeds until I can invest in a better set.

Advertisement