Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC ENGLISH HIGHER LEVEL 2015 - STUDIED POETRY

Options
  • 19-01-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wondering how many/which poets you have studied in school (or plan to study) and if anyone has any predictions?
    For example it's Yeats's 150th Anniversary and his work will be hugely celebrated this year…however, he is up again for 2016 and because of the 1916 Easter Rising link and the fact he also came up last year it is hard to know.
    Also, as Plath came up two years in a row what is the likelihood of her coming up again?
    I know it's hard to rely on predictions but it's just out of curiosity that I ask and would like to hear what your teachers have said and what you think yourself.
    Cheers.
    (Couldn't find any specific forum for this but let me know if there is one)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The only way to be absolutely sure of getting a poet you are familiar with on the day is to cover 5 (you may not necessarily cover them all in the same detail, but at least make sure you have back-ups you will be able to cope with).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 may1996

Yeah that's what I need to do. I will aim to have five prepared but I'm still unsure of which five poets I am going to choose to study more in depth. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

Ive been studying eilean ni chuilleanain, john Montague, robert frost and i'll look at Emily Dickinson after the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 w.hussain

John monatgue and Emily Dickinson will be my guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TommyE

I'm going for the super risky, only doing two. Ní Chuilleanain and Hardy.

• Advertisement

Yeah that sounds good. I've studied all of those except for Frost, think we're doing him and Yeats after the mocks (if time allows). It's a hard call really as some of them are up next year again.

TommyE wrote: »
    I'm going for the super risky, only doing two. Ní Chuilleanain and Hardy.

Wouldn't mind Ní Chuilleanáin actually! In your question would lay it out; poem by poem (a paragraph or two for each), or by her specific traits and referring to several poems in each paragraph?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

My teacher reckons Ní Chuilleanain and Hardy are quite likely for the mock exams. (She hasn't seen them so don't bank on this!!) NC is both a female and an Irish poet and she has never come up! Hardy hasn't come up a good number of years either.

Generally there will be at least one irish poet and one female poet. Considering Plath and Dickinson both came up last year I reckon covering NC, Montague and Yeats is a good idea. (The only Irish poets on the course)

HOWEVER, you probably shouldn't bank on these as the exam could easily trick the population can go completely against predictions. In an unlikely scenario they could even ask Plath for the third year in a row!

(A worst nightmare paper for me would be:

Plath
    Dickinson
    Donne
    Yeats

The three poets we haven't studied and Yeats who is often accompanied by very tricky questions.)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

may1996 wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind Ní Chuilleanáin actually! In your question would lay it out; poem by poem (a paragraph or two for each), or by her specific traits and referring to several poems in each paragraph?

I go poem by poem personally! I guess it's purely for the reason that it's easier to remember that way. If you do this though beware of summarising the poem! Giving context will get you no marks if it doesn't answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BoyceLeaving15

may1996 wrote: »
    For example it's Yeats's 150th Anniversary and his work will be hugely celebrated this year…

didn't know that actually that's changed my perspective now..

our English teacher has told us that Montague and Frost are very likely this year as neither has been up for a number of years.

• Advertisement

didn't know that actually that's changed my perspective now..

our English teacher has told us that Montague and Frost are very likely this year as neither has been up for a number of years.
    In last weeks English supplement in the Irish Independent they had a few pages about Yeats' 150th too. It might be a bit obvious I don't know, but we'll see! Yes most people are thinking Ní Chúilleanáin, Montague and Frost!

Advertisement