Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

nop98 wrote: »
    No running all week due to illness. However I did go to a Pilates session today and had 10 minutes to spare beforehand, so jogged a little barefoot on the treadmill beforehand. It made me realize how much I missed it! Hopefully 60-90 minutes easy on Sunday.

Hope you're ok! Take it easy getting back into things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Neady83 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Nop, hope you're on the mend. There's nothing like being sick to remind us that we don't have to run, we get to run :)
    Singer wrote: »
    Hope you're ok! Take it easy getting back into things.

Thanks folks :) just a nasty cold like about everybody else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thanks folks :) just a nasty cold like about everybody else!

Hope you're on the mend, Nop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ok, intervention time N. Run 60-90 mins tomorrow and I will mount my high horse and say 'neighhhhhh'. You have been sick...30/35 mins max only tomorrow to shake the legs out, ok? OKKKK? :D

annapr wrote: »
    Hope you're on the mend, Nop!

Thanks Anna - I guess I don't need to remind you those Wicklow Mountains aren't getting any less steep, so I need to get some miles / elevation in soon! :D
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ok, intervention time N. Run 60-90 mins tomorrow and I will mount my high horse and say 'neighhhhhh'. You have been sick...30/35 mins max only tomorrow to shake the legs out, ok? OKKKK? :D

But, but, but .... ok, I am now suitably intimidated by the prospect of being hunted down by packs of medal-winning Bray Runners when I stay out longer / later than I am allowed.

If I really put the after-burners on, I can go up Quarry Road and come back down past Puck's Castle in about 40 minutes - I should just be about back before I get caught. :rolleyes: Note to self: don't wear orange tomorrow morning, they won't recognize me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Oh you're in trouble Dubgal knows everything !!! Hope you feel better soon.

So, based on the above guidance (of the "ignore-at-your-peril" type), I stayed well clear of 60-90 minutes and instead had a lovely 30 minute run around the 'hood. OK, 35 minutes.

Legs felt fine, in fact the enforced rest seemed to have done them the world of good. Still a bit snottery. TMI, I know.

OK, 40 minutes but not a second longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

So, based on the above guidance (of the "ignore-at-your-peril" type), I stayed well clear of 60-90 minutes and instead had a lovely 30 minute run around the 'hood. OK, 35 minutes.

Legs felt fine, in fact the enforced rest seemed to have done them the world of good. Still a bit snottery. TMI, I know.

OK, 40 minutes but not a second longer.

Good stuff nop and with that word, snottery you've just given me a glorious new word.

diego_b wrote: »
    Good stuff nop and with that word, snottery you've just given me a glorious new word.

LOL, you're welcome! :)

Bitta catch-up again.

Tue Feb 16
    : 40 minutes easy: 7.3km @ 5:26 min/km [4.5M @ 8:45 min/mi]. Same old, same old.

Wed Feb 17: nada

Thu Feb 18: 5M at a reasonable pace: 8.1km @ 5:18 [5M @ 8:31 min/mi]. Day off due to mid-term. Me and my two dorks went to the zoo. It was cold, fresh, and sunny and we saw all the animals we wanted to see. My fella wanted to see scarlet macaws, and my girl the bongos. What's wrong with elephants and zebra's again? Anyway, we walked for hours and had the best time. When their mum came home, I dashed out for a quick 5 miles, loved it. :D

Fri Feb 19: Pilates, man, I am so unfit. Struggling and shaking and panting and a big red face. Pff.

Sat Feb 20: Hurling match outside in the effing rain and driving wind (and me on the sideline). No running.

Sun Feb 21: 10M LSR: 16.0km @ 5:45 min/km [10M @ 9:16 min/mi]. Up and down the coast to Dalkey and back. Particularly inspired by a certain former DCM Novices mentor who told me she'd done hill-repeats on Strathmore Road. I've ran that a few times and its brutal but very rewarding and really nice scenery. Ran to Dalkey, clocked up an extra loop there, and ran home. Was truly knackered afterwards. Back in my estate, got attacked by some massive dog (his owner just about managed to restrain him). Suffice it to say, he's now had an opportunity to learn plenty of Dutch swearwords, and the right intonation.

Mon Feb 22: nada. Sore left knee today, not good. Mweeh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Hurling match outside in the effing rain and driving wind (and me on the sideline). No running.

(

Nop,

I have some experience in this department. Wear your running gear to the game. They always meet hours before the sliothar is thrown in which gives you time to get a session in. Conveniently the games are always played in a park and you get to run somewhere different :D.

Get back just before the game and then volunteer to be umpire :eek:. Everybody loves an umpire......not.

denis b wrote: »
    Nop,

I have some experience in this department. Wear your running gear to the game. They always meet hours before the sliothar is thrown in which gives you time to get a session in. Conveniently the games are always played in a park and you get to run somewhere different :D.

Get back just before the game and then volunteer to be umpire :eek:. Everybody loves an umpire......not.

Alternatively get a hot chocolate and wait in the car with the heat on :)

Saturday morning was not ideal hurling weather :eek:

Nop,

Alternatively get a hot chocolate and wait in the car with the heat on :)

Saturday morning was not ideal hurling weather :eek:

:) Interesting feedback. I have actually done it a couple of times (e.g. https://www.strava.com/activities/322690526) - granted, in lovely weather. But I always feel a little self-conscious doing so. Some of the coaches are so dedicated and spent so much time getting all this organized for our boys that I feel I have to help out, even if it just to stand on the sideline, encourage, pick up stray balls, etc.

I have also done the sitting in the car and reading a book in peace-and-quiet for half an hour - bliss. :) At least you're not that visible!

Knee trouble seems to have calmed down again so:

Tue Feb 24: 5+M easy in lovely cold crisp weather. I forgot my Garmin so ran without it - and yes, it does count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Tue Feb 24: 5+M easy in lovely cold crisp weather. I forgot my Garmin so ran without it - and yes, it does count!

:D:D:D ok then!

Left of at the Garminless 5M of Feb 23 (not Feb 24 as typo'd above).

Web Feb 24: >3M easy w/ hill sprints. 5.7km @ 5:38 min/km [ 3.5M @ 9:05 min/mi]
    The young fella had to go to his GA training, and as recommended above, I brought the runners and made a run for it (ha ha) as soon as they got started. Along the leafy Southside coastline, e.g. Bulloch Harbour towards Dun Laoghaire and back. I noticed a nice little incline on the way back and decided to fit in some inpromptu hill-sprints. Nice enough little run, and not the usual freeze-your-backside off that is jr GAA training.

Thu Feb 25: <6M steady: 9.3km @ 5:19 min/km [5.8M @ 8:34 min/mi]
    Gallop to Cabinteely park at lunchtime with DCM buddy. We went fast enough. Can't remember much else about it.

Fri Feb 26: Pilates

Sun Feb 28: 4M easy with a kick: 7.1km @ 5:14 min/km [4.4M @ 8:25 min/mi]
    Found myself in Athlone trying to win the National Bridge Championships. Failed (again) to do so. Did manage to drag myself out on Sunday morning for a nice run. It was freezing cold and I wore my tracksuits for the first time ever. Very nice run along the Shannon, admiring the swans and the students out rowing. Ran the last mile hard(er).

Mon Feb 29: 8M hilly: 13.2km @ 5:23 min/km [8.2M @ 8:40 min/mi]
    It'll be hard to believe, but playing cards all weekend is exhausting. I was also somewhat fed up with work so 2 + 2 together made for a cheeky day off. Dropped kids to school, read with the kids in my daughters class for ages, and then went running. I had planned a route with a 3M steady incline (from the N11 at Loughlinstown up towards the M50 bridge near Rathmichael, and up towards Kilternan and Carrickgollogan). The WW Mountains HM apparently features such a long slog-fest uphill.

I did question my sanity to be running out in the howling wind and rain (and uphill) but I did start to enjoy it once I got warm (I never wore so many layers for running). On the descent down Quarry Road I just let the legs do what they felt like. According to Strava, it was my fastest km ever.

Tue Mar 1: 4M easy: 7km @ 5:36 min/km [4.3M @ 9:00 min/mi]
    Small lunchtime loop with my "sub 2h HM" coaching project. He's running the WW road HM, and I'd be happy if he manages 2h15. Not sure what that says for my coaching abilities.

Thu Mar 3: <6M steady: 9.3 min @ 5:21 min/km [5.8M @ 8:37 min/mi]
    Cabinteely Park loop all lonely by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

It'll be hard to believe, but playing cards all weekend is exhausting. I was also somewhat fed up with work so 2 + 2 together made for a cheeky day off.

I'm going to borrow that one of these days!

Nice paces on those training runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Agree! Those paces are really coming down, nice work!

I'm going to borrow that one of these days!

Cheeky holidays are the best ones. :)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Agree! Those paces are really coming down, nice work!

Thanks HSR & BG. It's probably more to do with the weather being so bad :) but there's a silver lining at least!

379528.jpg

Bit philosophical while out running today. It's been a hard couple of weeks in work and I typically mull these things over when out. Today was no different.

Between a colleague and I, we decided to cut the umbilical cord to a partner team, as the collaboration (such as it was) resulted in delays, frustration, and more delays only. While this was the right, long overdue call, it all resulted in plenty of agro and (far too much) arguing.

Said colleague, clearly worried about the resulting effects of all the agro (as I faced the brunt of it all), sent me the attached image and said, as I went out for one of my lunchtime runs: "be like the dog, not the man".

The whole situation made me think of an obscure Cranberries song called Daffodil Lament (ironically from their album No Need To Argue). I adored this song when I was in university, long before I moved to Eire. The lyrics contain reference to a difficult but definitive break-up, followed by a remarkably upbeat "the daffodils looked lovely today". So, that has become a bit of my motto over the past weeks: relentless optimism. The daffodils look lovely today. I am probably missing a whole lot of subtle undertones to the lyric, but sure.

Today, as I started plodding up Quin's Road into the hills as prep for the Wicklow Mountains HM (why do I sign up for these things), I really very much wanted to be like the dog. It took a couple of km's but after that, all was forgiven. Well, a lot. :) Crap as I am at it, I love love love the cathartic effect of running. I finished doing about 15 hilly kms at a reasonable pace - a good enough final test for next week's half marathon.

On, and there was a whole bunch of daffodils along the Ferndale Road as I ran by which made me smile. They sure looked lovely.

Test

so true!!! but then my dog doesn't have to pay the bills... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

You can appricate beauty of daffodil, dog only wants to cock leg and p!!s on
    Them, it's not to bad being the man, all about prospective, best luck in Wicklow
    And enjoy.:)

Right, back to running.

March 7: bit of treadmilling.
    Nobody to run with and only little time, so I decided on an impromptu interval session indoors. 400m at ~5k pace followed by 400m at ~HM pace - repeated 6 or 7 times.

March 8: 5M easy: 8.1km @ 5:19 min/km [5M @ 8:33 min/mi]
    Again deserted by all my buddies (insert small violins here :() but I couldn't face the sweaty mess again. So I went out for an easy 5M all solo.

On the way back to work, I spotted a runner ahead, I see him running all the time and he looks like a superb runner - many levels above me.

However, he was going incredibly slow and very deliberate doing so. On my easy pace I was gaining ground on him but didn't want to overtake (it just seemed wrong). So I hung back a bit but eventually decided it was ridiculous and overtook. I fully expecting him to come charging by at some stage but it never happened. :pac:

Anyway - so I guess I'll taper a little for the WW MNT HM on Sunday. From studying treads, race reports and pictures, it seems that one should add ~20% to PB time to come up with a realistic target time. This suggests 2h05 - 2h12 (the latter based on my soft-ish HM PB of ~1h50 - I never did a HM in anger since starting DCM training).

That all said, since I have actually felt really good recently - and inspired by FD and Neady's Kinvara heroic's, I am secretly aiming for <2h.... Famous last words to recall when I collapse over the line in 2h20 or worse... :eek:

am falling around the place laughing here - whoohoo am inspiration to people way faster than I am :D best of luck on Sunday :)

Firedance wrote: »
    am falling around the place laughing here - whoohoo am inspiration to people way faster than I am :D best of luck on Sunday :)

The dedication to your training and the results you get from it are an inspiration to all - regardless of pace! :) And the "way faster" is quickly disappearing, too! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nop with a really great DCM training block behind you plus all the hard work that you've been doing since then, I predict great things for next weekend and you above anyone will be inspired by the scenery and beauty you will be surrounded by.

I can't wait for the report :)

I really like your post above about the Daffodils. There's enough doom and gloom in the world, we all need to smell the roses and admire the daffodils a bit more :) you're a ray of sunshine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

A great route Nop and no doubt that you will do really well. Enjoy the day and bring us back some of your inspiration.

Just word of caution, maybe misplaced but notice you have not done a lot
    Of miles up or above half marathon, so maybe one to enjoy more than race
    Especially on tough course, but u know how fit you are at moment, all best again
    :)

Best of luck Sunday NOP :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nop with a really great DCM training block behind you plus all the hard work that you've been doing since then, I predict great things for next weekend and you above anyone will be inspired by the scenery and beauty you will be surrounded by.

I can't wait for the report :)

I really like your post above about the Daffodils. There's enough doom and gloom in the world, we all need to smell the roses and admire the daffodils a bit more :) you're a ray of sunshine :)

Thank you Neady! Not sure I deserve all your praise but very kind of you to say so! :) I am driving all my colleagues insane with my optimism and references to daffodils. :D

Tentatively looking at the weather forecast, and it seems that it will be a nice day for it - which will do the scenery no harm at all.
    A great route Nop and no doubt that you will do really well. Enjoy the day and bring us back some of your inspiration.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday NOP :)

Thank you Denis and Mrs Mc!
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Just word of caution, maybe misplaced but notice you have not done a lot
    Of miles up or above half marathon, so maybe one to enjoy more than race
    Especially on tough course, but u know how fit you are at moment, all best again
    :)

Thank you KennyG. Your words (in their trusted sonnet-form) are wise and I will listen to them. I got some more feedback from FD about the need to respect that +20% guideline so maybe 2h is a tad optimistic (even tho I have increased mileage of late and feel niggle-free and good).

I will indeed focus more on enjoying the scenery and remembering bits for the race-report, rather than swallowing back the lactic acid and aiming to collapse just over the finish-line! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Thank you KennyG. Your words (in their trusted sonnet-form)

:pac:

Don't forget that there are downhills too :cool: Really interested to hear how you get on!

You can appricate beauty of daffodil, dog only wants to cock leg and p!!s on
    Them, it's not to bad being the man, all about prospective, best luck in Wicklow
    And enjoy.:)

Here I was enjoying catching up with all the philosophy on this log, then along comes G... With his earthy wisdom :pac: :pac:

Very best of luck in the mountains, Nop, I know you'll relish it ... Not sure if you'll see any daffodils but maybe heather wil do!

Singer wrote: »
    :pac:

Don't forget that there are downhills too :cool: Really interested to hear how you get on!

:) I'm starting the report already!
    Here I was enjoying catching up with all the philosophy on this log, then along comes G... With his earthy wisdom :pac: :pac:

Very best of luck in the mountains, Nop, I know you'll relish it ... Not sure if you'll see any daffodils but maybe heather wil do!

Thanks Anna - see you there, weren't you doing it too?

Good luck, nop, and I think the advice to lead-out cautiously is good with the volume being less.

And when you are suffering up one of those hills remember there are many who would love to be out of the trails for 13miles!

Good luck, nop, and I think the advice to lead-out cautiously is good with the volume being less.

And when you are suffering up one of those hills remember there are many who would love to be out of the trails for 13miles!

Thank you HSR, I will do so when hillsiderunning - speaking of which, are you back out on the trails yourself?

March 10 4M easy: 6.8km @ 5:45 min/km
    Could not resist the lure of the nice weather, went with my "2h coaching project" for a most enjoyable lunchtime stretch.

Thank you HSR, I will do so when hillsiderunning - speaking of which, are you back out on the trails yourself?

Not yet .... doing a bit more, but still watching the posterior tibialis a bit. I'd say a couple more weeks and I should be able to do a 6-7miles though so it might be worth finding a trail for that :).

(anyway enough of that, have some spare time now so will roll the foot with the hockey ball and try to get the stair drops done too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Good luck this weekend Nop, can't wait for the report. Hope it's a good one for you :)

Looks like it'll be a lovely day for mountain running this weekend. Enjoy, stay relaxed and dig in....all at the same time :D Remember, the Quarry and Puck Castle are now your friends ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Good luck tomorrow Nop. Enjoy the mountains.

How'd it go??! I can't find results on my phone!

How'd it go??! I can't find results on my phone!

Lol... ~2h13... Very very tough course, much harder than I thought. Loved it tho! Still in Glendalough with the family, they wanted to go for a "nice walk" afterwards.. Ouch ouch. Report to come.

• Advertisement

Lol... ~2h13... Very very tough course, much harder than I thought. Loved it tho! Still in Glendalough with the family, they wanted to go for a "nice walk" afterwards.. Ouch ouch. Report to come.

Well done Nop! Looking forward to the report.

Well done!! That's about right based on fletchs prediction! Good on you & well done on the cool down walk too :D can't wait for the report :)

Well done Nop looking forward to the report.

Well done Nop, good run, hope walk but flatter than the run:)

Great time, well done! The winner (hard-core seasoned mountain runner :eek: ) ran 1:34 so 2:13 is definitely a very healthy time. Sounds mental, just saw aoboa's post: 15 min miles down to 7 min miles. Ye goddesses, they were some hills!

Hope you're able to walk this week :D

DEBRA Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon - 2h1325s; 152nd / 379 participants.

Undoubtedly the most challenging run and most beautiful scenery for a race I have done.

First things first. Let me not forget that this was a fundraiser for a charity called DEBRA Ireland. This charity provides support for families and patients that suffer a truely awful skin-disease called EB (https://debraireland.org/about/what-is-eb/), for which no cure exists. Not sure what's worse, the pain for the kids or the heartbreak for the parents. I will sheepishly admit never having even heard of this condition and I just signed up for an epic half marathon. But having read some (awful) stories about over the past couple of months, I am once again reminded of how lucky I am with two healthy, energetic, smart kids - we really have nothing to worry about. I hope they raised a lot of much needed funds and I'm glad to have contributed what must be just a menial amount, and running a HM, finishing times, etc, is all supremely unimportant.

Having said that, there was a half marathon to deal with and from the above posts, and the benefit of hindsight, it was clear I had no idea what I was in for. I had readjusted my goals to be [HM PB] + 20%, which works out about 2h12 based on CNM15.

The village of Laragh was full of activity when I arrived well in time for the start. I had finally settled on a long sleeved base-layer and my trusted orange t-shirt of DCM fame. The race FAQ insisted everyone would bring a wind-jacket on the run, and I also had a hat with me. The garmin was charged (deafening yawn from someone?) and I was really looking forward, the usual pre-race nerves and all.

The mileage has dropped since DCM but I had trained well over the past few weeks. The weekly miles were trending up again, out at least 4x /week and more importantly, enjoying it again. I might improve a little on the sleep/alcohol part of the discipline, but I was cautiously optimistic. Little did I know what I was in for.

We were bussed to the start and I had a nice chat with a lady from near where I live. At some point, we noticed runners from the 10k event (started a good bit earlier), crossing the road and galloping (well, walking) up a trail onto Brockagh. I knew from studying the race-route that this was shared between the HM and the 10k, and it looked frighteningly steep. It would come late in the day for us, and if I wasn't nervous up to that point, I sure was now. ;)

We were dropped in, well, the middle of effing nowhere and waited around for a good bit. There were some speeches, some cheering and clapping, and suddenly we were off. I had lined up about halfway and I was overtaken a lot in the first 2km. I was determined to start really slow (based on the advice here) and I was sure that I would see most of those folks at some point again (and I was right). We crested the first hill soon enough (2k in) and 2 lovely downhill kilometers followed. I seem to run easy downhill these days and I overtook loads withouth upping the effort. I was actually getting a little confident here thinking that it all wasn't going to be so bad. I hadn't quite realized that these were about the best paths/trails we'd get (apart from the bits on the 'real' road).

Once we went uphill for the second long incline (about 5km uphill towards the Wicklow Gap), I realized the terrain was going to be very difficult. This was muddy, mucky, puddly, single-file kinda work. We slowed down considerably. Oh, and there were stiles to deal with. :( The first one caused a massive queue and we had to wait for about 2 minutes (yep :mad:) while everybody made their way over. Annoying, but what can you do. After the initial wait, the field had spread out and subsequent waits were less, but still we had to conquer about 10 or so.

We crossed the main Wicklow Gap provincial road and continued to climb, a lot of it was over wooden elevated paths. We were warned not to run on these but everybody did anyway. It was fine. Some of the normal, mucky trails were too steep to run and I regularly slowed to a walk like everyone else.

I was really looking forward to get over the Wicklow Gap (just before 10k) - there'd be a water station and it was all downhill from there, or so I thought. I knew I was far off target (not really sure which target) when my trusty watch informed me only 9.2km had passed for the first hour. :confused:

We got ourselves onto the main road over the Gap again, for a while, and bizarrely I was impatient and overtaking loads there. I did actually feel really strong. As it was very windy, I settled briefly behind 2 lads and a girl was just behind me. The lads made some joke about "being used" (in good spirits) so I took my turn in the wind (and never saw them again, :cool: LOL). A spectator called to the girl she was 7th lady and I was pleased for her. We soon overtook another female runner so she was 6th. I was glad here for the extra clothing as we ran full in the wind and it was quite cold.

The downhills turned out to be a HUGE disappointment. The views (such as I managed to see them, my eyes were glued at the 2-5 meters in front of me only), were amazing but the terrain was either rocky and very steep, or flatter and one big mudfest. At some point, I sunk knee-deep into the muck and almost lost a shoe. I was having existential thoughts at this point - along the famous "WTF am I doing here". To illustrate, Strava informs me the 14th km had an impressive 104m drop. I had worked hard to gain those bad elevation boys, however, I only managed 7:06 min for it [11.25 min/mi], due to the rocks, steep little stoney stairs, other runners, etc. I am a bit of a wuzz tho, running on stoney paths so that might explain it too :rolleyes:

However, that said, I loved it :D and per HSR's instructions, considered myself delighted being out here on the trails (not for long as I had to concentrate so hard). Joking aside, it was fabulous but brutal. And all thoughts about finish times were out of the window.

I want to clarify something with BG here. Bungy Girl, I know there wasn't any cowsh1te on this route (on account that no cows live in these parts). There might have been some sheepsh1te, I don't know for sure. But surely this qualifies for cross-country, Irish style? :) You should see my runners! :pac:

We continued to descent into the Glendasan valley all the way to Glendalough. There were a couple of kms on decent road and I sped up a little, and enjoyed the scenery. Then the road took a sharp turn onto Brockagh Mountain - the trail we had seen earlier. This was brutally steep and everybody walked for almost 2km here (little bits of running). I had caught up with another girl who was running very strongly and I told her she must be fifth.

When we got to the top of the very-steep bit we happened to be in a group of about 10-12 folks with nobody in front or behind. A single-file formed again for the last bit of cross-country and I happened to be last. A volunteer was on duty in the middle of nowhere and said "3km to go" just about when my watched beeped for 2 hours. I decided that if I wanted to stay on the good side of 2h15 I had better get working. And as it turned out, I still have some DCM reserves because I hammered past the runners in front of me - first, awkwardly, on the trail. Then, the last bit turned out to be a decent path, downhill. Another volunteer there said that it was about 5 minutes to home, and I really ran as hard as I could. All the folks in my little group were dispatched and I caught a few other straggles after that. I must have overtaken about 15 people in the last 2km - which pleases me! :pac::pac:

There were a few supporters during the last stretch (runners that had finished, primarily) and they were brilliant. The finishline was buzzing and my family were there. My daughter said, in her naive enthusiasm, "wow daddy you got a medal", my boy was mostly interested in the nice spread (mars-bars and jellies), and my better half said something like, "you don't even look that tired" - as I was struggling not to faint. :)

The final time was 2h13-something and I had not an inch left to spare. Given that I lost a good bit of time at the stiles, I think I more or less met my PB+20% target, so I am pleased enough. Absolutely wrecked at the moment - this seems to be a different ballgame compared to road-racing - you seem to use more body-parts as, for example, my lower back is really sore. Also, you can't switch off one moment or you're falling, submerging into muck, or breaking a leg.

Anyway - that's me done.

A few days of rest are needed as I have an important running date on Saturday!

Well done!! That's about right based on fletchs prediction! Good on you & well done on the cool down walk too :D can't wait for the report :)
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done Nop looking forward to the report.
    Well done Nop, good run, hope walk but flatter than the run:)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Great time, well done! The winner (hard-core seasoned mountain runner :eek: ) ran 1:34 so 2:13 is definitely a very healthy time. Sounds mental, just saw aoboa's post: 15 min miles down to 7 min miles. Ye goddesses, they were some hills!

Hope you're able to walk this week :D

Thank you all for your usual kind words and encouragement :)

I did notice the winning time alright... Sighs. 1h34 on a fast road course is far out of my league, let alone on a course like this... Oh well, can't beat them all. :D

Well done Nop, great report, sounds pretty gruling, have vaguely though
    Mountain running look interesting, I know a lad that does it reguarly and
    Raves about it, but reading your account think no thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Well done on a great race, nop! Loved your race report :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sounds like a pretty epic race that N, well done on the run. Your next road race will no doubt feel that bit easier after that experience!
    Your splits on strava looked interesting so was curious to see the report as to what you endured!

• Advertisement
Advertisement