Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Anna will be delighted her mantras are being chanted over there in Nopland. Nice going on the mile(s) as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

A sub 7 mile for young M, fantastic! He will be leaving you for dust in the new year!

I am afraid that has already happened this year, AgyR :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Anna will be delighted her mantras are being chanted over there in Nopland. Nice going on the mile(s) as well!

:) Maybe I should clarify - I recalled her DCM '14 (?) report where she kept herself going by repeating a mantra over and over again. Very impressive willpower and it provided that little bit of inspiration I happened to need yesterday.

HNY etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

nop98 wrote: »

:) Maybe I should clarify - I recalled her DCM '14 (?) report where she kept herself going by repeating a mantra over and over again. Very impressive willpower and it provided that little bit of inspiration I happened to need yesterday.

HNY etc!

:pac: you gave me a good chuckle with that Nop, and maybe even a little bit of much needed inspiration!

annapr wrote: »
    :pac: you gave me a good chuckle with that Nop, and maybe even a little bit of much needed inspiration!

LOL :)

Despite being somewhat spooked by Monday's long "run", I managed to end the year with a decent week, with a there-and-back runmute debut :)

Wed Dec 28: 6.2M @ 9:10 min/mi
    Unplanned runmute - but this looks like it should become a habit. I was in work and planned to run at lunchtime, but time more or less ran away from me. Instead, I decided I run home :rolleyes: It was a little hairy as I happened to have a pitch-black t-shirt with me (and ditto hat and shorts). So I ran along the N11 all the way home. Most of it is downhill, but as I had to hold a few things in my hand (lack of prep, clearly) they felt like blocks of ice by the time I came home. Much of :rolleyes: :rolleyes: happening when the family saw me arrive.

Thu Dec 29: 6.2M @ 9:26 min/mi
    Consequence of the day before: the runmute back to work. Tougher than the day before, as this is net-uphill and I had to carry a good bit of shwag with me. Thankfully Santa had brought me a neat running backpack which easily carried the stuff I needed.

Sat Dec 31: 8.7M @ 9:09 min/mi
    First some early parkrun volunteering with the young fella (who was complaining loudly he wasn't allowed to run, but grudgingly sorted a few barcode tokens for us). Then I laced up for some easy mileage to see out 2016, before heading to the Gaiety for the panto. Oh yes, we did. :)

Then, time for some end-of-year ponderings. In term of PBs, I had a total blast in 2016. Modest as these times may be compared to most runners here, I am pretty pleased with the progress, even tho the matter in which they were achieved can be improved upon.
    • 1M - from 6:05 to 5:44 (Bray Runners Paced Mile).
    • 5k - from 21:42 (Shanganagh parkrun) to 20:49 (Jingle Bells).
    • 5M - first time, 36:3x (Raheny)
    • 10k - from 46:07 (Dunshaughlin) to 45:24 (DLR Bay 10k)
    • HM - from 1:49:56 (Connemara) to 1:45:11 (Achill Island)
    Other highlights of the year include:
    • Wicklow Mountains HM - as tough :eek: and as it was awesome.
    • #GRVR16 - paced by two friends, who both ran their hearts out to get me to my goal time.
    • Getting beaten by my 10yo (:eek:) in my home parkrun, despite a real effort on my part, and the awesome, lopsided grin :D on his face for the entire day.
    • And obviously, the 2016 novices, who did me very, very proud @ DCM16 - as well as the friendships of all who assisted me on that journey.
    The not-so-good:
    • I really missed the discipline of the 2015 Novices training plans, and my haphazard, lighter mileage is a consequence. :(
    • Too little cross-training, and too little maintenance in terms of stretching and rolling.
    • The HM effort on Achill, a panic-driven, wind-swept, cramp-driven frustrating effort is something that I am not hoping to repeat, ever. :confused:
    For 2017, I have entered Connemara (full distance :eek:), and I hope to give DCM another go, real-life permitting. I hope to regain family bragging in Shanganagh, but that will take some doing. I don't really have any other distance in mind I'd like to target...

But, as I hope for all of you, the main objective is to be happy to be able to run at all, care-free and injury-free, and to seize every moment, as life is short and precious. I won't be taking anything for granted. The very best wishes to all of you, and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Those are some fantastic PC's N, modest they are not, a sub 6 min mile? Nearly 5 mins off your HM PB on a tough course? Along with everything else you've achieved that's a great year's work, not to mention steering the Novices ship, which you did incredibly well.

Happy New Year :) I swear I'll see you in Shanganagh some Saturday morning soon :p

You made great progress at all distances Nop... especially the HM is impressive in the circumstances.

I love the description of your young fella at and after parkrun.... don't bring him to jingle bells this year or you'll be in trouble again :D

Hope 2017 brings more great running your way!

Those are some fantastic PC's N, modest they are not, a sub 6 min mile? Nearly 5 mins off your HM PB on a tough course? Along with everything else you've achieved that's a great year's work, not to mention steering the Novices ship, which you did incredibly well.

Happy New Year :) I swear I'll see you in Shanganagh some Saturday morning soon :p
    You made great progress at all distances Nop... especially the HM is impressive in the circumstances.

I love the description of your young fella at and after parkrun.... don't bring him to jingle bells this year or you'll be in trouble again :D

Hope 2017 brings more great running your way!

Thank you both very much :) 2017 resolution is to simply enjoy - the school of FBOT, I guess!

The first couple of miles have been clocked up in the Flatlands. It may not be great hill-preparation for the first target-race of the year, but the weather was certainly character-sharpening (to say the least).

Tue Jan 3: 10k easy (@9:22 min/mi)
    Wed Jan 4: 15k easy (also @9:22 min/mi - like clockwork, me)
    A couple of early-morning runs along the Almelo-Nordhorn canal, just below freezing - so three layers of clothing, gloves and hat, and a sympathetic/worried Mama Nop as I hadn't brought any long tracks and was forced to run in shorts. Oh, and no sombre reflections like last year :) (another 2017 resolution!).

The longer run was an out-and-back, the back being in the wind and some lovely rain/hail/sleet thrown in. The muck I was plowing through surely should give me some credits with the XC addicts around here, especially as most of it were frozen puddles - providing extra challenges.

Fri Jan 6: 40 min (@8:40 min/mi)
    Later in the week, I stayed with my brother who had recently moved to the hippest area of Amsterdam (Houthavens - in the harbour area). Again, I laced up early one morning while all were still sleeping.

I first ran along the harbour for a while along this path - especially the way back nearly cut me in two, it was well below freezing and very windy!
    405606.jpg

I passed this construction, it houses an office and a restaurant. Just hanging out! Later, I climbed up with my kids and brother, and the views are amazing. I think it used to be an oil platform (or part thereof):
    405605.jpg

I clocked up a few more kilometers (no miles, it's the Netherlands, after all {hides}), alongside the hip young Amsterdam population on their way to their trendy offices (all on bikes or public transport - hardly a car in sight).

It stayed pretty cold so I was glad I was on the way back home:
    405607.jpg

Yep, one of those boats! :D

(pic re-upload)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Happy New Year, Nop! Super pics. Yes, you have earned a couple of XC credits so you have now qualified to run a XC race :D.

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Happy New Year, Nop! Super pics. Yes, you have earned a couple of XC credits so you have now qualified to run a XC race :D.

I can't believe she didn't link the BHAA calendar :D

Lovely photos! Pity we can't follow the Dutch's example on being bike friendly!!

Great pics Nop, that restaurant will probably be at sea level soon enough :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Hope it was not too cold in the Houthavens lodgings!

Stick those photos on the "where I run" thread, and good luck for the year and especially the Connemara training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I do love your trips home to the motherland Nop, thank you for the pics. It's a very pretty country :)

Those are also PBs to be very proud off, especially in light of the busy year that you've had.

I like your highlights too, it ain't all about smashing records. The PBs make us all happy but it's the experiences that we'll look back on with pride when we're telling stories about our adventures in years to come. You did a great job with the Novices, you're dang right to be proud :)

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Ah. Dang. :) The Wicklow Masters XC was on in the local park, so I went to cheer them on, does that count?
    I can't believe she didn't link the BHAA calendar :D

Lovely photos! Pity we can't follow the Dutch's example on being bike friendly!!

:) I do think the flat-as-a-pancakeness helps...
    Great pics Nop, that restaurant will probably be at sea level soon enough :p

Ouch - that would be funny if it that reality wasn't so not-so-funny..
    Hope it was not too cold in the Houthavens lodgings!

Stick those photos on the "where I run" thread, and good luck for the year and especially the Connemara training.

The lodgings were fine - surprisingly actually. But the outside was very exposed, brrr. Pictures have been posted and the very best of luck to you too, I hope you'll get to toe those start-lines as I am looking forward to the reports already :)
    Neady83 wrote: »
    I do love your trips home to the motherland Nop, thank you for the pics. It's a very pretty country :)

Those are also PBs to be very proud off, especially in light of the busy year that you've had.

I like your highlights too, it ain't all about smashing records. The PBs make us all happy but it's the experiences that we'll look back on with pride when we're telling stories about our adventures in years to come. You did a great job with the Novices, you're dang right to be proud :)

Thank you Neady! :)

I hope CNM training is going well for you. I am typically exhausted just reading your updates so I guess it is :) My buddies are over for it, too - one will run the full (well ahead of me at any rate - he's entered a full triathlon in September), the other one will run the half, fresh from a 1h26 (:eek:) PB a few weeks ago!

Sat Jan 7: Back home, my young fella decided he was not running the parkrun (opting for a lie-in instead). I couldn't blame him, we had gone to a Leinster game on our return and he was just exhausted.

So I ran for about 45 minutes, and then joined the local parkrun for some faster kms towards the end. I started at the very back of a large field (third highest ever apparently) and the long row of runners in front provide excellent distraction trying to overtake them all.

8-ish miles in total (8:45 /mi, parkrun in 24:30) - it all didn't go that smooth (those two pints and tasty-but-nasty burger at the rugby game might have something to do with that :rolleyes:).

Sun Jan 8: After watching the local heroes in the Wicklow Masters XC, I had a few hours to myself so took the train to Greystones to run back home over the Cliff Path. The trail was like the M50 at rush-hour, it was so busy. Pretty decent run, a little too fast @9:14 /mi, so that's something to start applying some more discipline to.

Weekly total: 36.7M.

Another week gone! Less than 14 weeks to the Connemara Marathon. <insert panic here>:eek:

I can't seem to get disciplined enough to pin a training plan to my fridge and work off it, but I do manage to get some reasonable mileage in - still ahead of the weekly totals of the Boards DCM16 plan ;)

Mon Jan 9: Nada. A well-deserved break, if I say so myself, thank you very much. :D

Tue Jan 10: 5M @ 9:00 min/mi. Usual little loop with [Sub-2h]. He's actually rocking along pretty good these days, runs 4 times a week and is not the usual mess after 2km. I don't think he'll meet his long aspired milestone in the Connemara Half, but he's certainly trying.

Wed Jan 11: 5M @ 8:54 min/mi. Same loop, I think I ran it by myself this time. This usually ends-up in rage running. However, since 2017 is all about less rage, this was done at reasonable sedate pace. One almost regrets those 2017 resolutions, as nothing beats a good rage-run. :rolleyes:

Thu Jan 12: 5M @ 9:00 min/mi - another go at the same loop with another colleague. It may sound boring to run the same distance over and over, but (a) I don't have much choice in the confines of the Sandyford Industrial Estate and (b) it's kinda nice to run this fully on auto-pilot.

Fri Jan 13: Together with DCM'15-buddy, we snuck off at lunchtime on Friday and ran a couple of miles of the Wicklow Way, from Curtlestown Wood to Crone Wood (~3M out-and-back, 6.2M @ 10:20 min/mi). I would have liked to have more time but we had to get back.

Absolutely amazing views tho (when we had a chance to admire them, as the tracks were very slippery), really loved it. But OMSG, it was freezing - it felt as if the wind was chiseling bits of my face - despite wearing three layers, gloves, hat, and long-tracks. Fabulous.

Sat Jan 14: Transit to Sea-Battle, as my adorable 7yo would put it.

Sun Jan 15: 2 hour LSR in Bellevue, WA: 12.2M @ 9:39 min/mi. I had done some recce beforehand and settled on running some loops of the Mercer Slough Park, a large wetland park with elevated wooden paths and other trails. Another very cold run (yes, I am indeed investing in better cold-weather running gear while out here in the PNW!), but again, awesome. I ran slow (slohow!) to start with as I had not been very disciplined with LSR pace up to now (:eek:). After having found the trails and navigated my way around (and finally thawed out), I added a couple of blocks around my hotel to hit the 20k. Apart from my face now really feeling as if someone sand-blasted it (:D), this run felt great. I kinda had to remind myself how pleasant it is to run slow, and towards the end, it took no effort at all to add a couple of faster kms.

Then for some related news! My 2 Dutch buddies are coming over (again) for Connemara! Hurrah. One has signed himself up for a full ironman event in September (nutter) so he's doing the Full as a training run. The other one is fresh from a 1h26 HM PB (:eek:), looking to improve on his time from 2015. #RoadtripWithDaLads

Sandyford Ind Est.... sea-battle... you're almost making me nostalgic. Although most of my running in those days was around Bellevue Mall!

A neighbour is harassing me about Connemara, she's doing the half... so tempting.

Sandyford Ind Est.... sea-battle... you're almost making me nostalgic. Although most of my running in those days was around Bellevue Mall!

Will I remind you of the long flights, jetlag, and staring at the ceiling at 3am? That might put paid to said nostalgia :)
    A neighbour is harassing me about Connemara, she's doing the half... so tempting.

Excellent. If we can just convince AgyR too!

• Advertisement

Will I remind you of the long flights, jetlag, and staring at the ceiling at 3am? That might put paid to said nostalgia :)

Excellent. If we can just convince AgyR too!

I'd be happy to come along in a support capacity! Or drive the troops down but it'll sadly be along time before I can run 13.1 miles again :(

I'd be happy to come along in a support capacity! Or drive the troops down but it'll sadly be along time before I can run 13.1 miles again :(

We'll very happily settle for support, it would be lovely to see you out West :):):)

Another week flies by... 13 weeks to #CNM17

Mon Jan 16: 3M rec: 3.4M @9:09
    Some very easy mileage around the main campus of my company's HQ. I ran with a colleague who used to work (and ran) in Ireland. Easy-going, chatting away, could have kept going for miles.

Tue Jan 17: nada, too busy.

Wed Jan 18: 5M easy: 5.1M @9:19
    Up early (thanks, jetlag!) to run downtown. Absolutely pitch-dark, which was not overly comfortable. There were many cars on the road, and their blinding headlights actually made things worse. I had initially planned a route through some residential parts, but I changed my mind as I recalled that several parts head no footpaths. As a result, a little aimless.

Thu Jan 19: 6M hilly: 6.2M @9:24
    Same early start, had randomly picked a route to run (just checking it had a footpath). Without realizing, this included up-and-over a local hill called Clyde Hill, with totally kicked my backside. Good work but tougher than planned.

Fri Jan 20: 7M hilly: 6.8M @9:20
    PaulieC from these parts is an expert on the local routes, and I was following one of the routes he described. I was probably tired from the long week (or the 4 beers the night before), as it was quite the battle over the undulating terrain. When I finally returned to downtown, I could see the hotel in the distance, it wasn't overly far or steep but the legs complained bitterly. At any rate, an excellent workout.

Sat Jan 21: transit home.

Sun Jan 22: LSR: 11.5 @9:35.
    Managed to get some local mileage upon returning home, through the local park, up and around Carrickgologan and down via the trails. Given the sufferfest on Friday, this actually felt great.

Weekly mileage: 33.2M. Not great (in terms of miles) but some pretty challenging workouts and some fab scenery - not more I could squeeze in.

13 weeks :eek: :eek:

I really need to start adhering to the plan.

13 weeks :eek: :eek:

I really need to start adhering to the plan.

"+1" to that :cool::o

And another week...

Mon Jan 23: sweet nada

Tue Jan 24 and Wed Jan 25: 5M easy @ 9:25 and 9:10 min/mi respectively.
    I wish I could tell you something interesting about this run, but other than it being windy, cold, and miserable, I can't :rolleyes: good practice for CNM, so I'm told..

Thu Jan 26: <6M all-over-the-place @ 8:38 min/mi
    Now, this was a run to be somewhat proud of. With two colleagues I ran towards Cab park along "Death Valley", as we've coined the motorway sliproad next to the Leop racecourse. It was cold and very blustery, and the first 2-2.5km were full in the wind. Effing freezing, despite three layers. After battling the Cabo hills, at least we were blown straight back to a warm shower. :pac:

Fri Jan 27: another 5M @9:00, solo-run this time AFAIR.

Sat Jan 28: Shanganagh Parkrun as progression run, starting way at the back at 9:30 min/mi, finishing in about 25 minutes for the 5k. Afterwards, I ran a few cool-down kms with my son's primary teacher who is organizing mile-runs in school every day - he told me my young fella is topping the list for his year with a 6:20 minute mile #ProudDad. :)

Sun Jan 29: LSR, just below 15M @9:33 min/mi.
    Maybe a little too fast, but certainly a fine long run - the longest since DCM'15 and it actually went really pleasant. I'm always amazed how much of the running is between the ears. The first 5km I felt sh1t. I kept making excuses and thinking everything was wrong (too many clothes, too little, too much water, no gel/nutrition :confused:). 10k later I was still plodding along and enjoying it tremendously. How this works, I do not know, but work it does.

At any rate, I ran north from my house towards Dean's Grange, then across to Dun Laoghaire and back over Killiney Hill to not forget the elevation practice and enjoy the nice views. The weather played ball and at the end, although I was glad to be done, it certainly felt there was another few miles in the tank.

And thus completes my first 40+M week since training for DCM 2015. A pittance compared to some of the mileage logged in these parts, but I'm pleased enough.

• Advertisement

It is 11 weeks until the post CNM17 party/reflection/meltdown/hospitalization. :eek:

It has not been the greatest of week for a variety of reasons, one being my sub-2h project being injured and now walking around with a shoe-cast-yoke. The f*cker seeks and gets all the attention from our colleagues and blames me for pushing him too hard (so they all turn on me). He's probably out for CNM as it stands.

Mon Jan 30: geheel niets.

Tue Jan 31: 6M @ 8:57 min/mi
    I knew clocking up the miles would be a challenge this week so I invented a longer version of my usual Cabinteely Park route. Other than that, it was uneventful other than too fast. #RecurringTheme #GetWithTheProgram

Thus concludes Jan'17. It's 150M are my third highest mileage ever, behind Aug and Sep '15.

Wed Feb 1: 5M @ 8:50 min/mi
    A solo-lunch time run. I asked one of my colleagues for company and he said "no can do, pity, looks lovely out". Obviously, within minutes of setting off, the heavens opened. It was very blustery but I planned the run so I would run sheltered in the wind, and got blown all the way back on the exposed part. :D

Fri Feb 3: Flatlands 6M @ 9:11 min/mi
    Found myself rather unexpectedly in the home-country and had the presence of thought to bring the runners. I did my usual loop along the canal back through the castle grounds. Pretty fabulous run - and Strava needs to update its elevation charts, it credits me with 47 feet of elevation but I assure you, there is none, 0.

Sat Feb 4: 5M, park- and breakfast-run.
    Got up early to round up the family to head to the local parkrun, but I got no takers or response, other than orders for breakfast. So I trundled over to the park, which was splendid in its frosty beauty with the snow-capped Wicklow Mountains overlooking it. So so happy to be back in my home-park. Did my usual progression run (easy first lap, then pick up the pace) and finished in about 23:30. Over to the local shops for fresh bread and fruit to feed the hungry masses at home. :cool:

Sun Feb 5: 13(.1)M LSR @ 9:36 min/mi
    The local running club has started a junior parkrun so we brought our two juniors. Great event and all kudos to the volunteers. My 10yo overcame his initial reluctance and finished in the top-10, and my 7yo ran around with her mum and had a great time. After that, I hastily decided to run to Greystones and back over the cliff-paths back home as my long run. It went a little mweeh, to be honest. The weather was odd, too warm in the sun, too cold in the shade. Up the first hill went fine, as was the descent into Greystones. Back over the cliff-path was tough (and busy) as usual, but the last few miles (through the not-so-pleasant part of Bray, uphill and past rows and rows of traffic), just knocked me for six. Man, was I glad to be home. Not for the first time, I wondered (and wonder!) why on earth I think I can run another marathon. :(

Another week passes by :eek:

Mon Feb 6, Tue Feb 7, Wed Feb 8: nothing :(
    After last week's shocker of a (not-even-that-)long run, I threw the toys of out the pram and took a few days off. Confidence zero and motivation zero - combined with a cold and mad busy in work.

Thu Feb 9: 6M @ 9:00 min/mi
    Back on the horse to run a loop around Cabinteely Park and 'the long way' back to work. Just chatting with a colleague, bitching (about work) and de-stressing, in other words, just the ticket. ;)

Fri Feb 10: ~11.5M @ 10:05 min/mi
    Cheeky day off (:D) so hit the local hills - I had intended to run 10M, but felt good so added a bit. The elevation profile of the run always reminds of "The Grand Old Duke of York" - it's more or less straight up from sea level up to 800ft (do I really have to talk 'feet' here, folks!) over the first 5 or 6 miles. At this point, I am in Barnaslingan Wood, which is the third of three Coilte forests/parks/areas that form the start of the Dublin Way from near where I live (the start is next to the local pub, in fact). I don't really know my way around that area, experimented a little with the trails, and got lost like a doofball. Into Carrickgologan after that (really like that descent) and down through Rathmichael Wood into the local park and home. Fab run, plenty of elevation, pleasantly slow and another confidence boost.

Sat Feb 11: ~4M @ 8:28 min/mi
    My young fella had a home GA match early in Shanganagh Park, so I dropped a his shivering self (and some equally shivering mates) to their coaches and jogged to the start of the parkrun. It was freezing, especially on these exposed pitches, I felt for the lads. Jogged around the parkrun with a fellow dad (I believe in about 25 minutes, so fine, not too fast), and back to the lads and their game. Suffice it to say their morning was awful in the cold, wind, and hail. Home to hot chocolate and a duvet-day for him.

Sun Feb 12: ~6.5M @ 9:35 min/mi
    In the depths of Co Carlow for the national teams "count to 13" championships. I only had an hour or so to spare so picked a random country-road to run down. It was much hillier than expected but once I reached the higher points, the views (of Mt Leinster and surroundings) were fabulous. Downhill, in the wind, with sub-zero chill factor was character building as usual - but I enjoyed it tremendously.

Thus concludes another week. Despite the sh1te start, it actually turned out to be a reasonable week with almost 30M covered. Next week, the main focus is on the long run, these distances have to start creeping up to stand any sort of chance in CNM. :p

In the unlikely event the words needs to be informed of more junk miles, I have a good few to report. And! I'll throw in a family PB as well! Read on quickly!

Mon Feb 13: 6M @ 8:56 min/mi
    Bored with my usual mid-day routes, I invented a slightly different and longer one. Uneventful - with a lovely long downhill stretch from Kilternan back down towards Sandyford. :pac:

Tue Feb 14: 5M @ 9:27 min/mi
    Some mileage with a colleague.

Wed Feb 15: nada
    Day off due to a funeral.

Thu Feb 16: 5M @ 9:25 min/mi
    Some more mileage with the same colleague. (OMG this is a boring update).

Fri Feb 17
    : Runmutes! :pac: :pac: 2x 5.7M to and from work (9:27 & 9:17 min/mi).
    I live just about runmuting distance, so I went ahead and tried it out. The logistics are probably harder than the running! To work is quite uphill (the Cabinteely Park variety), which has the pleasant benefit of running net-downhill all the way home. Good way to clock up some extra mileage.

Sat Feb 18: Nothing
    The young lad was playing his GA in the local park, which would have allowed me to do the parkrun, but I felt a little bad deserting them and their coaches, so this time I hung around to set-up goals etc. Twang of jealousy to see all the known faces trundling around, but it had to be done.

Sun Feb 19:
    First: Bray Junior parkrun with 7yo herself: 2km @ 10:44 min/mi (PB) Up early with the daughter to run the 2km in Bray (and do the shopping afterwards). Said hello to DG who was out on volunteering duty. We ran most of it hand-in-hand (:rolleyes::)) and she kept saying it was torture, but she ran about 1 minute of her previous best with plenty to spare. Afterwards she told her mum I was holding her back. :rolleyes:

Then: 15M LSR @ 9:31 min/mi
    This was an important run for me in the build-up to CNM. I am clocking up plenty of miles but all in the 4-6M easy variety. IIRC we were much further along in the long-run progression during DCM15. Since my last HM+ venture was a bittuva disaster, I came up with a 7.5km loop in the 'hood which I would run 3x. It would allow me to cut it short if needed. Long story short, this went fine, tad faster than I wanted to, but in terms of hydration and feeding strategy, it was excellent. Felt good for most of it. I nearly choked on a gel tho (first time eating one of those in ages). I think running shorter loops would drive me nuts, but this length of a loop actually seems to suit me.

So, 44.3M for the week, in 6 runs (7 if you count the junior parkrun). That's good. Next week will be an enforced step-back due to mid-term, but it will include (drumroll....) parkrun tourism! Tune back in to next week's update to find out more! :D

Nice week Nop :) LSR is creeping up :) I'm sure you know about them too but since I've found the powerbar jellies, I don't think I'll ever resort to gels again.

Parkrun tourism where???! Sounds exciting :)

Nice long run there & good news on the Jnr pb too!

• Advertisement

Nice week Nop :) LSR is creeping up :) I'm sure you know about them too but since I've found the powerbar jellies, I don't think I'll ever resort to gels again.

Thank you Neady - it ain't 19M yet tho.. If you're ever up in these parts, in the next 6 weeks, we should do a long-run-date!

Powerbar jellies, do you mean "Powerbar Ride Shots Energy Jellies" ?
    Parkrun tourism where???! Sounds exciting :)

Nice long run there & good news on the Jnr pb too!

You'll have to come back next week to see :)

Thank you Neady - it ain't 19M yet tho.. If you're ever up in these parts, in the next 6 weeks, we should do a long-run-date!

Powerbar jellies, do you mean "Powerbar Ride Shots Energy Jellies" ?

Yup, these are the ones [URL] http://www.wiggle.co.uk/powerbar-powergel-shots-cola-with-caffeine-16-x-60g/ [/URL]

I've a few boxes of them so I can post you up a few packs to try out if you like.

Another week has flown by. According to Mr McMillan, this was meant to be a step back week. This suited well, as I was busy with work and RL. I wonder if stepping this far back was what was on the cards tho ... :eek:

Mon Feb 20 - niente.
    My runners came into work with me, but as expected, stayed safely tucked away after the 15-miler the day before.

Tue Feb 21 - 5M easy @ 9:16 min/mi
    Easy, uneventful mileage to kick-off the week.

Wed Feb 22 - enforced nothingness.
    Mad busy in work so no time before, during, or after. :(

Thu Feb 23 - 6M easy @ 9:16 min/mi
    I would be off work for 2 days (mid-term). The only opportunity for some mileage would be early mornings. I had been listening to Storm Doris hammering the trees behind our house all night and it didn't really sound the most appealing to go out and run. At these times, its pure fear of the upcoming race that force me to go ahead and get out. As always, it wasn't too bad although running into the wind, or being hammered from the side, was not very pleasant. Anyway, got to 10k and called it quits, happy enough with the effort. Bizarrely, the exact same pace as yesterday. :confused: How does this work!?

Fri Feb 24 - LSR 13.5M @ 9:22 min/mi
    The plan I am following (loosely) had a 2-3hr long run, covering at least 16M, as long run for this week. That was never going to happen - anything close to the HM distance would be a decent enough effort. I decided to do the same ~4.5M loops in the local 'hood, these had suited me well last week.

As usual, the first couple of km's felt awful, but I knew this would pass. I keep being amazed about how much of this is between the ears. During the first km's I can't help thinking all negative thoughts. But as I start grinding away at the distance, the thoughts drift and I typically spend a lot of time thinking about "counting to 13" problems. As I was contemplating a play-technique called "dummy reversal" (see here if you're really interested), I realized that 10k had passed since those bad first few km's, and I definitely did not feel worse. Weird how that works - but somehow comforting to know that bad phases will pass. :)

The run went fine, took my time, no gel-choking episode this time, but next week I'll be experimenting with some of the jelly Powerbars that Neady so kindly shared. Thanks again Neady - will let you know how it works out :)

Sat Feb 25 - Johnstown Parkrun, ~23:30ish.
    We travelled to the sunny South East for the mid-term weekend, and I had skillfully negotiated the Johnstown Parkrun as part of the weekend. Well. Not-so-skillful: "sunny South East" my a*se. More like torrential South East.

We made our way to Johnstown Castle which I suddenly remembered to be part of my very first HM (Wexford HM). We all hovered and cowered with about 100 other parkrunners in the rain next to the castle. After plenty of announcements we were off. The girls ran one of the 3 loops and retreated to the car, while Matthew and I tried to reel in most of the field after our slow start. The route is fabulous (3x1M loop plus a bit) and I'd really like to give it a real go at some stage, but it wasn't to be in these conditions. We crossed the finishline in about 23:30 to the rapturous applause (for Matthew, obviously) from all volunteers. He also got a lot of kudos from runners finishing after us as we had overtaken most of them. Nice bunch, really enjoyed it despite the miserable weather. :):cool:

Niggle-alert: back in the hotel, an hour after the parkrun, my right hip, never really 100%, suddenly started complaining loudly, very sore and almost impossible to walk. WTF !? :(

Sun Feb 26 - no running, as we were travelling back from WX and aforementioned hip-trouble. It's better today, but 2 ibuprofens and a generous glass of red wine might have something to do with that. :P

This week contained about 30M in 4 runs only. Not perfect but per plan. Next week's focus will be on not having any hip-issues and a decent long run.

Time for the Sunday evening update. A good week it was, I am happy to report. The hip-trouble disappeared as fast as it appeared - some lingering side-effects but I feel a little like the boy who cried wolf. :o

Mon Feb 27: 5M easy @ 9:13 min/mi
    Easy unremarkable mileage.

Tue Feb 28: 6M easy @ 9:30 min/mi
    Now, this was character-sharpening. With a regular fellow runner, we headed out up towards Stepaside/Kilternan - first in the wind, then a lovely long stretch downwind and downhill, and then the final 2 miles full in the wind, with a bit of hail and sleet thrown in - and no escaping! It was fine once we were finished!

Wed Mar 1: sweet nothing

Thu Mar 2: 5M easy & strides @ 9:08 min/mi
    Similar loop to Monday - for the heck of it we threw in some strides towards the end.

Fri Mar 3: runmutes: 2x5M (@ 9:11 min/mi [am] and 9:13 min/mi [pm])
    In an effort to boost the total mileage, I runmuted, 5M uphill to work, and the same 5M downhill back. There was a challenge thrown in, as I had to be in at a certain time and had to prep for that. So I quickly ushered themselves to school and legged it in. Then I was told I also needed to collect them, so I legged it back a few hours later, showered, and collected them just in time. :) The uphill am session (which is notably harder) went faster than the pm session!

Sat Mar 4: a well earned break, thank you very much ;)

Sun Mar 5: LSR: 17.8M @ 9:31 min/mi
    Important run (again). I am happy with the overall mileage, but not with progression of the long runs. In the past few weeks, I have designed this 4.5M loop that I just run as many times I need (with shortcuts back home if needed) and that seems to suit quite well. So this morning, that's that I did again, and again it went well. Instead of one of the loops, I headed North towards Cabinteely Park for a quick detour, but other than that, I stuck to the script. Hydration on point (I have some new 'soft' water bottles that fit into the running backpack shoulder straps, which work very well) and nutrition on point (just before I left I took two of Neady's "happy pills" and used two gels on route - I can't really eat anything while running so I stuck to the gels). Happy with this run, felt really good until the end - there was quite a lot left in the tank.

Weekly total: 46.4M in 6 runs, I think this is my highest weekly mileage ever. It is less than 7 weeks until CNM17. :eek:

Worry not, folks, the weekly update is here!

Happy to report another decent week, I was tempted to write in Dutch (to make HSR and WW use Google Translate too) but I relented :)

Mon Mar 6: 4M recovery @9;26 min/mi
    Miserable, cold, and windy, but I wanted to get some rec mileage in after the long run. Too fast for recovery, obviously, but it was miserable. Oddly enough, nobody felt like joining me.

Tue Mar 7: 5M easy @9:28 min/mi
    Uneventful mileage with colleague. Pace feels so easy these days.

Wed Mar 8: Ik besloot de benen maar eens een dagje vrij te geven. ;)

Thu Mar 9: 5M easy @9:24 min/mi
    Same loop, same colleague, same pace, very enjoyable.

Fri Mar 10: Singer-style runmutes! 2x 6.2M (9:27 min/mi uphill, 9:29 min/mi downhill).
    Why did I not think of run-muting before!? It's an ideal way to clock up the mileage. I actually went a slightly longer route compared to last week, but again the morning run was faster than the evening run. I had planned to leave work reasonably early but circumstances made me stay much later - so much so that it was getting dark. As I was about to leave, the better half rang to take my take-away pizza order, which certainly helped the miles go by :D.

Sat Mar 11: Nothing again.
    The young fella was playing hurling in Portmarnock. I had lofty plans like taking in one of the local parkruns, or even running all the way home (it'd be perfect distance for the LSR) but in the end, nothing materialized. Just watched the game, and saw my lad score two brilliant goals! #ProudDad

Sun Mar 12
    : 20M LSR @ 9:43 min/mi
    The week point remains my long runs (or rather, the lack thereof), so my focus these days is to get decent long runs in. For some reason, I am typically br*cking it beforehand (have to work on the confidence somehow). Initially I had planned to do 4x my trusty 4.5M loop, with some additional miles, but I changed my mind and did one large loop instead - from Shankill, to Cabrinteely, Leopardstown and Dundrum, and back via Stepaside and Kilternan.

Banished the negative thoughts quickly enough and got down to the work. Jelly-bean, gels and water all okay again this run. I felt I was running into the wind for the first 90 minutes, and I was thinking that it better be in my back for the second half, which it was. As I was running through 22km, not for the first time, I thought of Neady's magnificent performance this weekend, realizing that this was just the first of her 6 stages, and I was already on my way home.

The most challenging was the weather, it was cold in the wind, but lovely and warm on the way back. So much so that I was thinking I had to strip a layer, but then the heavens opened and solved that problem. :pac::cool:

32.2km (just over 20M), which I believe is my 2nd longest run ever - a bit niggly now but nothing to be concerned about. Weekly total over 47M, which is a record.

6 weeks to Connemara. :eek:

goed gedaan op de lange termijn*

Maith thu!

*let's hope google translate didn't mangle that

Amused to see that you were channeling Neady today too (she inspired me up a hill or two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done N, solid work - dunno about the nerves, sure it's only a (long) training run and you're in great shape for a Nederlander. ;) Looking good for the big day.

Nice one N :) You're hitting the right number on the LSR just at the right time :) I can't believe how quickly it's creeping up on us eeeeeekkk. Glad that my race helped you in some small way :) It would be awesome if I could hang on to your coat tails in Connemara, it would make for a fun run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Happy to report another decent week, I was tempted to write in Dutch (to make HSR and WW use Google Translate too) but I relented :)

I think it's possible that one of those two was already using Google translate ...

Anyway, that was *last* week.

Goed gedaan op de zevenenveertig mijl, en geniet van uw rustdag (of het herstel).

goed gedaan op de lange termijn*

Maith thu!

*let's hope google translate didn't mangle that

Amused to see that you were channeling Neady today too (she inspired me up a hill or two).

Actually, it did mangle it a bit ... Your Dutch reads: "Well done in the long term". Come to think about it, you might have my very long term goals in mind, in which case, thanks!

Hmmm, what are my very long terms exactly? :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done N, solid work - dunno about the nerves, sure it's only a (long) training run and you're in great shape for a Nederlander. ;) Looking good for the big day.

Thank you Murph! Well done in Ballycotton!
    Nice one N :) You're hitting the right number on the LSR just at the right time :) I can't believe how quickly it's creeping up on us eeeeeekkk. Glad that my race helped you in some small way :) It would be awesome if I could hang on to your coat tails in Connemara, it would make for a fun run :)

Thank you N :) We all know who'll be clinging to which coat-tails in CNM, but a fun run it will be (or at least, we'll try!)...!
    I think it's possible that one of those two was already using Google translate ...

Anyway, that was *last* week.

Goed gedaan op de zevenenveertig mijl, en geniet van uw rustdag (of het herstel).

Thank you HSR :)

• Advertisement

It is time to log this "step-back" week for posterity. I was in need of a slight step-back week, having posted two relatively big weeks in mileage, a busy week work-wise, and a very busy weekend which would leave little room for 3 hour long runs (followed by eating all around me).

Mon Mar 13: 4M rec @ 9:44 min/mi
    For the life of me, I can not remember a single thing about this run. But it's on Strava, so it must have happened :D

Tue Mar 14: niente
    Important day in work, running had to take a back-seat.

Wed Mar 15: 6.5M easy @ 9:25 min/mi
    Now, this was the most enjoyable run in a LONG time. Similarly busy in work but I was going out, come hell or high-water, as the weather was absolutely splendid and I finally got the warm-weather gear out again. I retraced my 'new' route via Kilternan and Stepaside, but the other way around, so it all starts with a decent climb. The views from the "ridge" in Kilternan were breathtaking (I could see as far as Lambay Island past Howth) and I loved gliding down the hills back towards Sandyford. Loved running in the sun after all the battering by wind, rain, hail, and sleet. Later that evening, my better half suggested I'd bring in sun-lotion for the next runs. I scoffed, obviously (but then put the sun-lotion in the bag, obviously :rolleyes:).

Thu Mar 16: 6.5M easy-with-a-kick @ 9:08 min/mi
    Buoyed by yesterday's run I convinced two lads in work to come out and we ran the same route. I told them I wanted to go slow, which they just about did, until, out of the blue, the heavens opened and we got absolutely drenched. So much for that nice run the day before. All notions of slow and easy running were off - we hammered home down the hill as it was quite uncomfortable.

Fri Mar 17: Off to Croke Park for Cuala's finest hour!
    Both my kids play in the under-age teams for Cuala so obviously we joined the rest of the red-white brigade to watch their senior hurlers write All-Ireland history. Maybe all the standing around counts as some form of cross-training?

Sat Mar 18: 13.7M kinda-everything @ 9:32 (incl Shanganagh Parkrun @ 24:30ish)
    I had just about 2 hours to play with this morning (not enough for a proper long run), so asked around a bit offline for what best to do. I decided to get 10-11 hilly miles in - and then join the local parkrun, which I was hoping to run at HM pace (~8 min/mi). After the madness of the day before, it was an easy choice to seek out the quiet and lonely roads up into the local hills for some challenging elevation, fine scenery and lovely trails (Carrickgologan and Rathmichael Wood) to run down. I was going a bit slower than anticipated so cut the route short, as to not miss the parkrun start. I lined up at the back, hobbled around for the first 1k-loop where a volunteer called out "5:34" for the first km. That wouldn't do so I accelerated a bit which went fine. At the 4km marker (~HM mark for the run) I realized I was feeling great so I thought I'd test myself and threw in a fast km to finish. Scanned, thanked the volunteers, hobbled home, and spent the rest of the day managing my children's social life and shouting at the rugby. :rolleyes:

Sun Mar 19: 8M easy @ 9:29 min/mi
    Stepping back a week is fine, but my weekly mileage totals weren't quite where I wanted them to be, so I carved out an extra hour-and-a-bit for some easy running. Unremarkable, other than that I noticed that some of the tougher sections (uphill) all seemed to feel easy, maybe all these junk-miles are actually adding up to something.

5 weeks to Connemara. Shudders. 2 more big-mileage weeks until the taper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

shouting at the rugby

Somehow I never pictured reading the words nop and shouting in the same sentence. :pac:

Somehow I never pictured reading the words nop and shouting in the same sentence. :pac:

You should have seen / heard me when reading certain weekly training updates last summer, TBO :rolleyes:

Sunday evening. It's boards time! And it's realizing-there's-even-less-weeks-to-CNM17-time-so-insert-the-:eek:-emoji's-time! :)

Mon Mar 20: 5M easy @9:30 min/mi
    Cheeky morning off so circled the 'hood (mostly on grass, actually) for some easy mileage.

Tue Mar 21: 5M PMP @8:55 min/mi
    Out with two colleagues including one greyhound - kept trying to slow them down until I decided to change plan and make it a PMP-ish session instead.

Wed Mar 22: 6+M easy @9:05 min/mi
    Having ran my "new" loop last week in glorious sunshine, this time, I required leggings, two t-shirts (one long-sleeved), a rain-coat, a hat, and gloves. céad míle fáilte. That said, I absolutely loved this run :D, it felt completely easy and relaxed despite it being well faster than easy pace. 4x a loop of this length and this effort in CNM, and I'll be delighted. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Thu Mar 23: nothingness
    Work-do in the afternoon and evening. :)

Fri Mar 24: runmutes: 6M & 7M @9:24 & 9:21 min/mi
    My favourite way to get to work these days (provided it doesn't rain :)). Since I managed to get out a bit earlier than planned, and it was such a nice day, I ended up going home a slightly longer route.

Sat Mar 25: more nothingness

Sun Mar 26: 20M LSR @9:37 min/mi
    2nd 20-miler of the training block. I chose the same route as a fortnight ago, but just in reverse order (the local park, then Kilternan, Stepaside, Dundrum, and home via the N11). Had the good fortune to run into none other than the great Dubgal - who was cruising around the local park, so we ran together for a bit at the very start. Most of the run went fine, lovely day out, but fresh enough in the shade or wind.

As I was nearing home, I ran towards the local DART station. A lady emerged from the other side of the road, all dressed up and in high-heels. She must have been late for the DART as she started running (in the heels!) ahead of me. I nearly burst out laughing as I suddenly had someone to pace off in the final 1/2 mile. Needless to say she didn't last very long in those shoes. It provided much needed entertainment!

Got pretty tired towards the end but realized I had ran a little faster than LSR pace. Nutrition and hydration on point again - but I have been eating all around me since I came home :rolleyes:

Pretty happy with this week, total mileage is about 50M (which is a first) and even tho there are a few niggles, I feel pretty OK for this stage of the training. Another big week ahead next week, and then the taper will start. :cool:

4 weeks until Conn. Here's the mandatory eek: :eek: - and if you'll excuse me, I have a date with my foam-roller.

Nice going Nop, two 20 milers in the bag without much bother to you - you'll be in your element in Connemara :)

Nice going Nop, two 20 milers in the bag without much bother to you - you'll be in your element in Connemara :)

Thank you Neady - actually, I took an enforced day off yesterday due to the long run on Sunday, I guess the priority is now to get to the start-line in one piece. Also, the physio is booked for a rub-down, first time since DCM15.

You seem to be flying your recovery!

Short update, it's late on a Sunday evening, I have been counting to 13 all afternoon and evening and I should really go to sleep, but am way too wired.... to sleep, so here I am updating boards! :rolleyes:

The mileage is now going to decrease into the taper and I am quite happy with that. Still, I ran less this week than I had intended, due to the ill effects following the long run last weekend.

Mon Mar 27: rest
    In dire need of some rest after the 20M the day before. I was actually planning to run some recovery miles, but I was in no shape for it. Getting to the start-line is the priority at this stage. Also, finally got back in touch with my phyiso and made a long overdue appointment.

Tue Mar 28: 5.2M @ 9:25 min/mi
    Easy mileage with a colleague.

Wed Mar 29: 6.5M @ 9:09 min/mi
    Same. I know which route I ran, but I can't remember a thing about it :D.

Thu Mar 30: more rest
    Took this day off as I had planned to go and see the physio this evening - he had to cancel at late notice, but I was actually happy with the enforced break.

Fri Mar 31: 6.5M @ 9:23 min/mi
    Another solo 10+k run, over Kilternan and Stepaside.
    In light of the ongoing "not feeling the best", I ditched my runmutes in favour of a lunchtime run.

Sat Apr 1: 17.5M @ 9:20 min/mi
    This was meant to be an 18M LSR, so I was a little short on distance. I had intended to get 15M in, and then join the local parkrun for some faster miles to finish. The first few miles were okay but I spent a lot of nervous energy worrying about niggles, real and imagined. About 6-7M in, I realized I was running late for the parkrun start, so I pulled up the socks and sped up somewhat. An hour later, as I was nearing the park, I realized I was (a) on time and (b) had not thought/worried about niggles at all and consequently, they had been completely absent. A welcome change! :cool:

I was just in time, and I had had the presence of mind to bring a clean running top and as I was changing, the "gun" went. I hobbled after the field for the first k, accelerated throughtout and finished in just over 25 min, which is faster than PMP :o, but it felt like an excellent workout.

Spent the afternoon in St Anne's park (for jr GAA), having just missed a date with that local parkrun crowd, next time, hopefully!

Sun Apr 2: 4.5M @ 9:17 min/mi
    The family was on a cinema date with some extended family, which allowed me to get some lovely sunny miles in as well as my postponed physio date. Felt *great* afterwards (maybe not so much during :p) and I really hope he's sorted a few things out.

40.5M for the week, 3 weeks (even less at this stage) to CNM17. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Must dust off last year's sleep memos for reissue...

I hobbled after the field for the first k, accelerated throughtout and finished in just over 25 min, which is faster than PMP :o, but it felt like an excellent workout.

Any idea what your PMP will be for Connemara?

It's going to be a difficult one to call with the second half being the tougher half isn't it.

• Advertisement

Any idea what your PMP will be for Connemara?

It's going to be a difficult one to call with the second half being the tougher half isn't it.

Conservatively, if I can get home under 4h, I'll be delighted. So the plan is to go out at that pace, hopefully be slightly ahead of that in Leenane, and to take it easy on that first climb of the second half. Then enjoy the long downhill stretch and dig deep for the HotW. Easier said than done, me thinks. :rolleyes:

What about you?

Advertisement