Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aoboa

nop98 wrote: »

Cool. I think the pace for most people up Brockagh was the same - my slowest mile ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Thanks, HSR - you'd love it! How about doing it next year and we'll get Anna out too?

Might be on for that all going well. Now you only have the little task of persuading Anna ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Hi Nop

If you read T runners Log, he has Race report up, he was winner of Race, interesting read also,may have seen already, but
    though may be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I want to clarify something with BG here. Bungy Girl, I know there wasn't any cowsh1te on this route (on account that no cows live in these parts). There might have been some sheepsh1te, I don't know for sure. But surely this qualifies for cross-country, Irish style? :) You should see my runners! :pac:

Ha ha, no. What you just did is a whole other bag of crazy. Cross country,even Irish style, is tame compared to that! Well done, great race & report. I am tempted.....
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great report NOP it sounds awful so well done on the time considering all the climbing and getting stuck in muck BG would have loved it.

I so would have! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Might be on for that all going well. Now you only have the little task of persuading Anna ;)

No persuasion necessary... I'm sold! Just need to do the training next year!

Cool - we have HSR, APR, and BG! Anyone else? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Cool - we have HSR, APR, and BG! Anyone else? :D

Me me me me me me me me pick me, pick me

Neady83 wrote: »
    Me me me me me me me me pick me, pick me

OK ok you're picked too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Loved that report. I thought +20% was ambitious having seen the course profile but you're made of tough stuff! Well done.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Loved that report. I thought +20% was ambitious having seen the course profile but you're made of tough stuff! Well done.

Thank you Murph :) It seems that 20-25% is the norm to add to one's PB. Dubgal told me the winner tends to run 73 minute HMs, and he ran won it in 93 this year - but in fairness, from his log it seems he was coming back into a decent training block.

For those interested in this event next year's WW MNT HM, check out the pics and video on the event's FB page here. Some splendid snaps capturing the event well.

Anyway, I took a few days off running and laced up for a couple of easy runs this week:

Wed Mar 16: 4M easy: 6.8km @ 5:27 min/km [4.2M @ 8:47 min/mi]
    Some easy miles on my usual loop with my DCM buddy.

Thu Mar 17: 5M easy: 8.1 km @ 5:23 min/km [5.0M @ 8:40 min/mi]
    Some more easy miles in the 'hood while enjoying the day off.

The rest of the world might call this St Patrick's Day but this also happens to be my daughter's birthday (no, she's not called Patricia).

Sat Mar 19: >6M steady: 10.5 km @ 5:13 min/km [6.5M @ 8:24 min/mi]
    The morning was dedicated to a 7yo birthday party, the afternoon reserved for some running. Unfortunately my running-date had to cancel - so instead I went out between rugby games for a 10k at a reasonable clip. Just circled the local park and enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sat Mar 19: >6M steady: 10.5 km @ 5:13 min/km [6.5M @ 8:24 min/mi]
    The morning was dedicated to a 7yo birthday party, the afternoon reserved for some running. Unfortunately my running-date had to cancel - so instead I went out between rugby games for a 10k at a reasonable clip. Just circled the local park and enjoyed it.

very inconsiderate, some people eh? you're very good to have offered in the first place - some day...

I presume Shanganagh are having a party on Saturday? If not there will be cake in Cabinteely :p

Firedance wrote: »
    very inconsiderate, some people eh? you're very good to have offered in the first place - some day...

Ha ha - no worries. Sorry to hear about the disrupted plans. :eek: If you're looking for some LSR company for your next adventure, I owe you one!
    I presume Shanganagh are having a party on Saturday? If not there will be cake in Cabinteely :p

There was a "party" alright but it was just rather wet and windy. Good turnout though (see below :))

Weekly catch-up:

Mon/Tue: nada.

Wed Mar 23: <6M easy: 9.3km @ 5:28 min/km [5.7M @ 8:48min/mi].
    Lovely sunny crisp afternoon, and we set off with a group of 4 towards Cabinteely Park. Lost track of 2 of them but me and my DCM buddy galloped around at a nice pace.

Thu Mar 24: 8 hilly miles: 13.3km @ 5:29 min/km [8.3M @ 8:49min/mi].
    An unexpected afternoon off and time to go running - splendidness. I decided it was time for some hills and some HM pace in prep for the Wings for Life event, so back to my old stomping ground of Carrickgollogan and Barnaslingan. Quarry Road was the usual b*st*rd but I ran it all the way, and pushed for a decent average pace, (HM pace) all the way home, after reaching the highest point.

During one stretch down, I had unexpected company: a goat was enjoying his lunch off the local bushes. Startled, it ran away but in the same direction as I went, so it was as if I was giving chase. We ran together for a while, and it must have been an odd sight. I stayed well clear of it but it went on for a while, when it finally realized it could just hop into a field and be done with it :)

Tough run but thoroughly enjoyed it. :pac:

Sat Mar 26: 5M including Shanganagh Parkrun @ ~22:45.
    Despite the miserable forecast, I wanted to attend the anniversary of the local parkrun. I didn't have any ambitions time-wise, just wanted to have a good hard run. Running to the park in the pouring rain, I could feel the last two runs in my legs. I lined up in the middle of the field - and started very controlled, and slowly overtook most runners in front of me. Towards the end, the leading lady was in front of me and after an almighty battle, I managed to overtake her. I ended up 18th and was pleased enough.

Now - I shall be off on a week holidays :cool:, skiing with the family!

Skiing.... :eek: careful now!!!

Love the description of you racing the goat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Fri Mar 26: 5M including Shanganagh Parkrun @ ~22:45.

celebrating a bit early? :p

Fair play, I wimped out, my head and chest cold said 'no'. Plus Firedance had persuaded me to defect to Cabinteely's birthday party.... Surely this is a kids problem, not an adults one??!

annapr wrote: »
    Skiing.... :eek: careful now!!!

Love the description of you racing the goat :D

LOL - it was quite odd, to say the least. I had to think of your comment about the midgets, it was the same stretch of road! :)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »

Fair play, I wimped out, my head and chest cold said 'no'. Plus Firedance had persuaded me to defect to Cabinteely's birthday party.... Surely this is a kids problem, not an adults one??!

You're right, Saturday it was. :) That explains it, I was expecting to see you and all your superfast teammates - can't believe you defected (I obviously would have joined you had I known! :rolleyes: )

Dubgal72 wrote: »

you both missed the most amazing birthday cake EVER - Murph tell them how good the cake was :pac: more for us!

well done nope! and hope your cold is on the mend dubgal xx

Breaking news. Next target race will be Achill Island in the company of two or three Dutch buddies. 3 months to train for sub 1h45.

Race report to follow ;)

Breaking news. Next target race will be Achill Island in the company of two or three Dutch buddies. 3 months to train for sub 1h45.

Race report to follow ;)

Hope you got them to sign in blood!! So they remember in the morning ;)

You'll love it, possibly more beautiful than connemara although almost as difficult!

• Advertisement

Almost 2 weeks of no running. Skiing holiday turned out to be a lot less fun than intended when the entire family was not feeling well.

Fri Apr 8: 4M very easy (~6.6km @ 5:54 min/km [9:30 min/mi])
    Lunchtime buddies surprised me by stating their intention to run our usual 4M loop twice on a slow afternoon in work. Having not ran for almost a fortnight with lingering illness, I decided to join them for just one lap at their easy pace.

Sun Apr 10: 10k easy (10.3km @ 5:21 min/km, 6.4M @ 8:37 min/mi)
    Inspired by all reports from Connemara, Rotterdam, and other various marathons I thought I had best lace up too. I had intended to just run out-and-back along the N11 but since it was such a fine afternoon, I ran up Carrickgollogan instead. Clearly still far from a reasonable level of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I had intended to just run out-and-back along the N11 but since it was such a fine afternoon,

Were we in the same country yesterday?

Sorry to hear ye had a bummer holiday, there's everything going at the moment it seems. Go easy until you're feeling 100%.

p.s. Achill, nice - you'd don't half target tough HMs do you? It's lovely up there but wild and mountainous.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Were we in the same country yesterday?

Somebody even commented on me having a sun-tan today. Now, that's overstating it :)

Ever so slowly getting back into things.

Tue Apr 12: 4M easy: 6.8 km @ 5:44 min/km [4.2M @ 9:13 min/mi]

Thu Apr 14: 4M ~tempo: 6:9km @ 5:10 min/km [4.3M @ 8:20 min/mi]

Same old lunchtime loop through Foxrock. Today, reckless young lads we are, we went clockwise instead of the anti-clockwise routine. According to Strava, I have done this loop 64 times. Consider the times I ran this without watch or before I had a watch, it's probably closer to 80-85 times. Unfortunately, there isn't much else around.

More boring miles being logged here.

Fri Apr 15: 4M easy: 7.0km @ 5.25 min/km [4.3M @ 8:44 min/mi].
    Solo easy lunchtime jog. The usual not looking forward, but being refreshed and delighted afterwards. Loved it.

Sun Apr 17: 15k LSR: 15.0km @ 5:34 min/km [9.3M @ 8:58 min/mi].
    A family birthday in Ringsend provided a good opportunity for a LSR, albeit a little further than I had planned to do. My 7yo daughter: "Are really going to run all the way home, daddy? That's so embarrassing". :rolleyes: Say no more.

Really enjoyed the first hour, running along the seafront and through Blackrock village etc. I started to struggle a little towards the end (I think I simply hadn't eaten enough, I never run this late in the afternoon/evening) - and I can feel it now. But on the bright side, longest run since the WW HM and that was 4 runs this week, all good signs. No niggles. :)

On a bright note, my "sub 2h HM coaching project" is getting close. He was in the 2h06's in Wexford today, that's a whole 15 minutes gained in 2 years (we both ran our first HM in WX 2014). Well done dude. :cool: I am thinking the race series HM as "the big attempt". This means I'll be jogging with him and b*tching him over the line (I can be very annoying / persuasive if I want to), but not going for a Bungy-Girl style PB myself. Choices, choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff N and nice bit of work on the coaching side there!

diego_b wrote: »
    Good stuff N and nice bit of work on the coaching side there!

Thank you kindly, sir!

And another "yet more boring miles" update. All ran at lunchtime with various colleagues, yapping away and generally not paying attention to the pace too much. Glorious weather for a change - so much so that I need to bring my black golf visor to help the sweat-management (TMI, I know).

Other highlights of the week were a not overly productive Monday in work, watching the Boston Marathon, and congratulating an awesome National Masters Relay Champion in person. I should have asked for an autograph, too. :)

Tue Apr 19: <6M easy (9.2km @ 5:24 min/km) [ 5.7M @ 8:41 min/mi]
    Cabinteely Park.

Thu Apr 21: 5M easy (7.9km @ 5:39 min/km) [4.9M @ 9:02 min/mi]
    Slightly longer loop, down Cornelscourt Hill and back along the N11.

Fri Apr 22: 4M easy (6.9km @ 5:21 min/km) [4.2M @ 8:36 min/mi]
    Usual short loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

a Bungy-Girl style PB

I could do with one of those myself :pac::pac::pac:

Great work with your protege (inserting accents on boards from a laptop, anyone ?) You could leave him in the hands of the excellent pacers and run your own race ? It's a great course and you could really do some damage to your PB.

Lol at the 7 y.o. You know you've perfected your parenting when you can embarrass them without even trying :cool:

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I could do with one of those myself :pac::pac::pac:

:pac: to clarify, I meant a well executed training plan to run a great race, and get to a fine sub 1h40 (IIRC?) in the Phoenix Park.
    Great work with your protege (inserting accents on boards from a laptop, anyone ?)

[Alt Gr] + [e] = [é] on mine! :o
    You could leave him in the hands of the excellent pacers and run your own race ? It's a great course and you could really do some damage to your PB.

Tempting, BG, tempting. Would love to do both.

My buddy really needs to someone to bully him through the final couple of miles. He has poor running form on a good day, but it really goes to pieces when he tires. In Wexford, the 2h10 pacer was apparently brilliant, she told him to run up straight, breath, relax, etc. Maybe DG was moonlighting? :) He was proudly telling me this, and of course I couldn't resist: "Tsss, if someone else tells you, you believe it!". :rolleyes: But it must have worked, <2h07.

That said, I love the PP HM and would be seriously tempted myself. It also depends on non-running matters - it might overlap with trials for the Irish team. In bridge, that is. ;)

Advertisement