Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

There is nothing boring about those miles!! I'm living vicariously through you (and everyone else :p) but you in particular cause those are my roads :cool:

Race the half nope !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Firedance wrote: »
    .. in particular cause those are my roads :cool:

:) Okay so, I won't call them boring - hopefully we'll see you hitting these roads soon.

Sun Apr 24
    : 10M LSR: 16.1km @ 5:39 [10M @ 9:05 min/mi]

Up reasonably early to be back in time for the start of the London Marathon. Ran North along the N11, into Clonkeen Park towards Dean's Grange. I seemed to struggle for the first few km, only to realize at the furthest point, where I turned around, I had been battling a steady breeze. Through Kilbogget Park and back home via Ballybrack. Quite pleasant!

Home for a quick shower and then being inspired by the women's winner in London, falling hard and then running even harder to win. Some running! Plus I love the name Jemima. :) Had I read Beatrice Potter prior to having kids, my daughter might have a different first name :rolleyes: (it's quite similar now anyway).

Weekly mileage is slowly on the up (a modest 25 this week, but that's the best it's been for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Just one more telling you to race the HM, nop. 25miles not bad at all for a start.

You can introduce your protege to the pacers to make him feel more comfortable. Then ditch him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

You can introduce your protege to the pacers to make him feel more comfortable. Then ditch him!

Ha ha. Do it. :D

Good luck with the trials, Nop. Irish team, eh ? I know nothing about bridge, but that sounds impressive. Hopefully you'll get to do both the trials and the half.

Just one more telling you to race the HM, nop. 25miles not bad at all for a start.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ha ha. Do it. :D
    Race the half nope !

I'll tell my buddy tomorrow: "my internet buddies all want me to ditch you for personal glory". I'll let you know what he says :cool:

I'll make up my mind closer to the time :) and I'll see how this block of training for Achill will work out.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Good luck with the trials, Nop. Irish team, eh ? I know nothing about bridge, but that sounds impressive. Hopefully you'll get to do both the trials and the half.

It *probably* sounds more impressive than it is. Bridge in Ireland is not the highest standard (compared to say US, UK, or Netherlands). There's a couple of good players who typically win these events and get to play on the team.

However, this year I'm on a good team - the problem is that these competitions take several weekends, usually in September. Even if it isn't clashing with the HM, it might just not work out.

But, I will keep you posted ;)

• Advertisement

Tue Apr 26: 6M easy: 9.5km @ 5:21 min/km [8:36 min/mi]

Well, 6M with a bit of a kick. Isn't Irish weather hilarious. Me, DCM Buddy, and Sub-2H Buddy are on our way to Cab Park for the usual just-under-6M. Halfway there, it started to hail, and the pellets actually overtook us. Hmm. I suggested to shortcut to the usual 4M loop instead. Sub-2H buddy said - we'll go to the corner and see (about 1M ahead). Sure, the sun was shining by the time we got there! So we ran to the Park, where the sun and hail alternated several more times! A character building run if anything - and quite a bit faster than intended.

B.t.w. Sub-2H buddy has been informed that he is to be ditched for personal glory for the PP HM. He's actually overly chuffed that his running exploits are the subject of conversation between "random internet strangers" and doesn't seem to mind being ditched too much (or it simply hasn't registered yet). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

nop98 wrote: »
    Isn't Irish weather hilarious.

I have 2 skylights in my kitchen, less than 1m apart. Out of one I can see blue sky and one or two puffy white clouds. Out the other the view is of impending doom in the form of dark, rain-filled thunder clouds :rolleyes:
    B.t.w. Sub-2H buddy has been informed that he is to be ditched for personal glory for the PP HM. He's actually overly chuffed that his running exploits are the subject of conversation between "random internet strangers" and doesn't seem to mind being ditched too much (or it simply hasn't registered yet). :D

Brilliant! He'll be in good hands with the sub-2 pacers anyway and you'll still get to bask in the reflected glory as his coach/advisor. Now fingers crossed bridge doesn't get in the way.

Wed Apr 27: 4M tempo: 7km @ 5:04 min/km [8:10 min/mi]
    All by myself as none of my colleagues wanted to join me. [Insert violins here]. As usual, that means I run way faster than I should. But it was nice to try and clear the head.

Thu Apr 28: >6M easy: 10.5km @ 5:34 min/km [8:57 min/mi]
    Despite bringing in winter gear, I was about to chicken out to the dreaded treadmill when I spotted two colleagues about to go out. I quickly joined them. I got lots of abuse from one of them, as I kept complaining it was cold. Apparently I need to put on weight to help insulate me a bit better!

They went a bit further than I would have planned to do, but I didn't mind. Despite the rain and cold (it was effing freezing!), it was actually very enjoyable. And I have a new lunchtime route (just a variant of the usual stuff), but nice all the same.

Pfff, "Sub 2h-Buddy" was out "on the lash" yesterday and didn't run today. I need to have a word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Looks like a nice steady parkrun there, N, even if a bit off the PB I think?

Glad to see FD was taking it easy!

:rolleyes: I was tairunner, I thought I'd get a decent power walk out of it but two guys were walking a very slow pace and I had to stay behind them!!! A bit too easy for my liking!

Great to catch up nop, M we will get you next time I hope :)

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: I was tairunner, I thought I'd get a decent power walk out of it but two guys were walking a very slow pace and I had to stay behind them!!! A bit too easy for my liking!

Great to catch up nop, M we will get you next time I hope :)

Yep, seems like it was a Cab Parkrun PB - bittuva surprise, TBH. Pity you couldn't make it, HSR, next time!

Sat Apr 30: Cabinteely Parkrun @ 23:35 min.
    Met up with Firedance, on volunteering duty, beforehand to discuss all matters running while doing a brisk walk as warm-up. I hadn't quite decided how to tackle this run (I won't have time for more running this weekend due to sitting on backside and counting to 13 all day tomorrow) and at some point didn't even want to get out of tracksuit and thought I'd just jog around.

Anyway, laced up and lined up somewhere towards the back and jogged the first downhill km. As always, the sight of runners in front of me just got the better of me and I started to accelerate. Cabinteely is a tough route, the same nasty incline is to be tackled three times and it's energy sapping. Many many folks take off far too fast and are already in trouble on the first incline.

Somewhere along the last lap I lapped Firedance, doing a marvelous job at the tail. She roared at me to slow down (as instructed) but I ignored her ;). Fell over the finishline eventually in 23:35. It may be a parkrun PB for Cabinteely but I have never really raced it. This time, the strategy of a slow enough start actually seemed to work well.

After what appeared to be AGES, FD finally came through for her second lap, looking somewhat bored, and I joined her as tailwalker. More chat followed about world domination through boards. After FD's two new besties (who were clearly just walking and chatting) finally finished, I was sent back down to collect some of the parkrun route markers we had forgotten (due to aforementioned chat), which meant I tackled that sharp inclined for a fourth time!

it was all finished off with a pleasant cuppa with the parkrun crowd. :)

World domination :D indeed!

Thanks for your company on the last lap - I might have fallen asleep otherwise....I didn't look at my HR data but imagine it never got over 100 at any point :rolleyes:

You'll have to come back & race flat out sometime!

You'll have to come back & race flat out sometime!

Nope, Shanganagh parkrun for you first! :)

(pls ignore)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

(pls ignore)

Subtle Nop ;)

annapr wrote: »
    Subtle Nop ;)

SUSH! :D

SUSH! :D

Sushi? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Hmmmmm now is there going to be an announcement ?????

Sushi? :pac:

oh yum Sushi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Nice run today nop, really enjoyed it, thanks! :) time flew with all the interesting chat....

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Nice run today nop, really enjoyed it, thanks! :) time flew with all the interesting chat....

Thank you DG - enjoyed it very much too. We're off, anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

(pls ignore)

Excel instead of Google Sheets? Stamping your authority :D

Singer wrote: »
    Excel instead of Google Sheets? Stamping your authority :D

His PC (or surface book) would explode if he used google!

Is this the beta version, soft launch or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Hmmmmm now is there going to be an announcement ?????

That was it A, couldn't have picked better successor best of luck Nop

His PC (or surface book) would explode if he used google!

Is this the beta version, soft launch or what??

hard launch on the main forum now!!!

best of luck Nop, not that you need luck, you have us :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ooooohhhh, what's going on here then? Someone please text me when main thread starts as am likely to miss it.

aquinn wrote: »
    Ooooohhhh, what's going on here then? Someone please text me when main thread starts as am likely to miss it.

I already texted you!!! its on the main forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Haha say goodbye to nop here/logs for the next six months.....Enjoy the ride N, we're all here for you :)

Haha say goodbye to nop here/logs for the next six months.....Enjoy the ride N, we're all here for you :)

Well that's what we're telling him now... Evil cackle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I can copy from Strava for you ðŸ˜႒.

See A, Garmin so fantastic.

Advertisement