Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

aquinn wrote: »
    I can copy from Strava for you ðŸ˜႒.

See A, Garmin so fantastic.

:mad: Shouldn't you be starting some log from scratch or something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    :mad: Shouldn't you be starting some log from scratch or something.....

By counting my daily steps and the 5 horrific minutes on the bike daily? No thanks. I'll be my usual, supportive self by hassling others to either run or rest. I'm good like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I'll be my usual, supportive self by hassling others to either run or rest. I'm good like that.

I see you're already putting these skills to good use :)

Quick update here.

Mon May 2: 15k easy (5:29 min/km [8:50 min/mi])
    Met the indefatigable DG for 5-6 easy miles in the local park (grass and trails) and plenty of chat about DCM. Remarkable, how fast the time and miles fly by with company. Got some funny insights into the life of a DCM mentor. DG called it a day after about 45 minutes, and I ran the long way home to make up some more miles/kms.

Wed May 4: 5M easy (5:30 min/km [8:51 min/mi])
    As I was packing my bags that morning, I remembered Denis B suggesting to bring the runners to my sons GA training. What wise words that turned out to be: it was a splendid evening and I circled around the park where the lads were training.

Thu May 5: 5M easy (5:34 min/km [8:57 min/mi])
    Usual 5-miler at lunch with "the lads".

Fri May 6: 4M easy (5:22 min/km [8:38 min/mi])
    Quick run, I think I went by myself, I do remember having little time so had to speed up a little.

Sat May 7:
    Jr1 GAA, Jr1 coding club, Jr2 dance rehearsal, Jr2 dance performance. No running, other than the headless chicken type.

Sun May 8: 7.5M easy (5:40 min/km [9:07 min/mi])
    Met up with some of the local fellow dads. They are a hilarious bunch and I haven't ran a more enjoyable 5-6k in a while. They called it quits after about 30 minutes and I added a few more km's (a few less miles), including a quick d-tour to get fresh bread in the bakery. The local park was buzzing in the nice weather and I loved it.

Later, cycled back to watch the WingsForLife event. I was there last year, too - and was really keen on running it this year - but it didn't work out planning wise. Instead, me and DCM-buddy are taking Friday afternoon off to run the new DCHM course in Phoenix Park. It looks like it might be just as warm for that as it was on Sunday!

Mon May 9: woke up with one of my knees complaining. Probably just old age, but that meant my planned 5M wasn't going to happen today.

Tue May 10: ~5.5M steady (5:20 min/km [8:35 min/mi])
    Usual quick lunchtime run to Cabinteely Park and back.

Wed May 11 / Thu May 12: zip.
    On Wednesday, I arrived at Jr 1's GA training armed with the runners - but got asked to help out - which was actually quite enjoyable.

Fri May 13: 13.1M (DCHM @ PP) (5:20 min/km [8:35 min/mi]).
    DCM-buddy and I had planned to return to Phoenix Park to run the new DCHM route. After quite a busy week in work, we took the afternoon off and found ourselves on Furze Road at about 1:30pm. Last year, we had ran the old course the day before the actual event in September, and joked and goofed around in about 1h52. It felt decidedly easy last year - but I knew this time it would be a lot harder (less miles in the legs, plus it was very warm).

Opinion is a little "mweh" about the new route. I liked coming down the Upper Glen Road for a change, and doing a large lap of the Park to start. However you do hit the roundabout near the Castleknock Gate about 4 times and the last bit down Acres Road was so warm! We actually ended up in the hospital (grounds) instead of taking a left turn because we were yapping so much :) The last bit back up the Upper Glen was tough and I was counting down the 100 meters. Back at the car, the watch read 20.8km so we continued up to make sure we'd tag the HM distance (again in about 1h52). B.t.w. not suggesting that the course is short - we had to improvise a little. All and all, a good day's work.

• Advertisement

Sun May 15: 7M easy (5:39 min/km [9:05 min/mi])
    Circled the grass trails in Shanganagh with the local lads for about 40 minutes - and ran to and fro. They are hilarious and I am enjoying running with them so much. One of them is only starting and keen to improve. The other is actually quite decent but a lazy git. I always make them run an extra lap or two, under loud complaints.

Tue May 17: 4M easy (5:29 min/km [8:49 min/mi])
    Quick easy run with one of the lads in work. He had a lot on his mind and I ended up giving career counseling for the entire loop.

Wed May 18: 5M easy (5:37 min/km [9:02 min/mi])
    Some easy miles while Jr 1 honed his hurling skills. I made sure not to get nabbed for assistant-coach duties :o.

This was a weird run. It took ages before I was enjoying it. It was warm and I felt light-headed for most of the first part, so much so that I was about to call it a day; I was thinking I just don't like running in the early evening. However, the mind drifted, the dizziness lifted, and before I knew it I had clocked up the planned 5M. One of those runs you really like afterwards.

Thu May 19: 4M steady (5:16 min/km [8:29 min/mi])
    Quick solo lunchtime run. I didn't have much time so I was resigned to 3 sweaty miles on the treadmill, but saw the nice weather, thought "screw it", and went outside for the usual loop.

Sat May 21
    : 15k - including Shanganagh Parkrun @ PHMP (total 5:23 min/km [8:39 min/mi]).
    Busy weekend ahead with kiddo-stuff, so I got up early with a simple plan: 10 LSR-paced kilometers, time it so I could get to the local park at 9:30, and then add 5k @ PHMPish. Neady had suggested to get some more hill-training in ahead of Achill so I ran up the Brides Glen Road as part of the easy first bit. Made it to the park with a few minutes to spare and said hello to a few familiar faces. I intended to run in about 25 mins (5 min/km; 8 min/mi), which is about my target pace for Achill. Once the run got underway, the legs clearly needed a short time to un-lock, standing around at the startline hadn't done them any favours. Anyway, after about a km, I pulled up along one of my running buddies who tried to cling onto me for 1k, but then told me to get on with things. I slowly accelerated once the legs were OK and finished in about 24-half. Job done. Straight home to bring Jr2 to her GA and spent an hour catching/throwing balls at her training session with her pals, probably the most enjoyable cool-down one can enjoy.

Mon May 23: <6M easy
    Ran my usual Cabinteely parkrun with a work buddy. Hilly and tough as usual, but lovely day and I loved it.

Tue May 24: Bray Runners Summer Trials Mile: 5:44 PB!
    Well, this was an evening of firsts.

The local running club is organizing 'Summer Trials' in Shanganagh park, but unfortunately Tuesday evenings don't suit due to bridge commitments. However, I wanted to give it a go, so I planned to line up for the one-miler this evening. I was in the park early enough and ran a bit of warm-up on the course that I know very, very well. The parkrun and many, many easy runs have been clocked up here.

During the warmup, I recalled the previous one mile race here and told myself "at this exact stretch is where you died a slow, horrible death the last time". This time, just relax, relax some more, and then kick on.

Even tho it was a very small field, I was somewhat taken aback to be lining up in the presence of some great local runners. DG was there, and some of the other local legends were on pacing duty for 5:30 and 6, 7, and 8 min/mi. I was going to cling to the 6 min pacer as long as I could. There was a real gun and we were off. DG was obviously ahead but I was alongside the 6 min pacer immediately.

However, I noticed a strong female runner appearing besides me, and then in front of me straight away. I think she's one of DG's award-winning teammates and once again, I am in doubt if I really belong here. But, as the pace settles and we turn onto the large loop that's the majority of the course, she slows and I overtake to stay near the 6 min guy.

The next 6-800 metres are all about clinging on for dear life. I stay ahead but keep hearing my competitor's fast stride clip-clopping behind me. The last turn arrives and as we get a nice shout from the marshals, she overtakes. Normally, I would have just accepted by fate. But, this is exactly the stretch I had warmed up on and I gave myself an almighty mental kick to (a) relax and (b) kick on. I somehow manage to overtake her again and from that moment I can't think of anything other than just to run like a madman.

I collapse over the line, need some time to regain composure, and inquire about my time, which is 5:44! I can't quite believe it. First time under 6 minutes, and by quite a stretch.

I say my thanks to Dom the pacer (who didn't seem the least bit tired), and congratulate DG on her much more fab time.

I rush off to the local bridge club to play cards in my running shorts (that's another first). Even though for the first few boards, I am still half dry-retching, me and my partner clock up a good score and we leave with most of the money. The local bridge population (mostly in the W60+ category) was very impressed with my running shorts and legs. That is a final first, and quite a disturbing one at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

That's incredible nop, congratulations.

Don't know whether it's the time or the relative closeness to DG which is most impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Brilliant nop! Absolutely super time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Congrats again N !!!! Phenomenal run and lots more to come off that over the rest of the year :)

Did the local club hand you an application form :p:p

Good going on the bridge too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent stuff Nop, sounds like a great evening for you! Great time for your mile, well impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Super Run Nop really impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Fantastic result and really enjoyable report. Sounds like everything clicked in the race - oops time trial - mentally and physically. Watch free too, eh?! ;)

I think you have found your secret weapon, you're a secret speedster ;) More short stuff planned after the HM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

That's very fast, well done! Maybe you should be mentoring some milers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done Nop think we will all starting trying to catch DG !!! Great time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Brilliant, Nop! I am well jel as we say in D.3 :P. You need to take that time, put it in a running calculator, and then go smash all your PBs. Super stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Brilliant Nop.... Great how the warmup helped you psychologically. Fantastic time!

I'm sure the bridge club ladies were equally thrilled :pac:

Thank you for all your kind words as usual. Still buzzing here.
    That's incredible nop, congratulations.

Don't know whether it's the time or the relative closeness to DG which is most impressive!

Thank you! Close at the start, HSR, not at the finish :)
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Brilliant nop! Absolutely super time!

Thank you!
    Firedance wrote: »
    Congrats again N !!!! Phenomenal run and lots more to come off that over the rest of the year

Did the local club hand you an application form

Good going on the bridge too!

I got a form from the (bridge) club, reminding me of the dress-code, does that count? ;)
    diego_b wrote: »
    Excellent stuff Nop, sounds like a great evening for you! Great time for your mile, well impressed!
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Super Run Nop really impressive.

Thank you gents!
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Fantastic result and really enjoyable report. Sounds like everything clicked in the race - oops time trial - mentally and physically. Watch free too, eh?!

I think you have found your secret weapon, you're a secret speedster ;) More short stuff planned after the HM?

I wouldn't quite use the word "speedster" yet :) but I appreciate the thought! No plans for post Achill HM, would the beer-mile count? :)

In all honesty, my watch travelled with me but I did not actually look at it at all. It's a start!
    Singer wrote: »
    That's very fast, well done! Maybe you should be mentoring some milers

Ha :) thanks!
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done Nop think we will all starting trying to catch DG !!! Great time

Still a good bit of catching to do, Mrs Mc! Thnk you!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Brilliant, Nop! I am well jel as we say in D.3 :P. You need to take that time, put it in a running calculator, and then go smash all your PBs. Super stuff.

"Well jel" :) Thanks BG!
    annapr wrote: »
    Brilliant Nop.... Great how the warmup helped you psychologically. Fantastic time!

I'm sure the bridge club ladies were equally thrilled :pac:

A lot of it is in the head. It was a stroke of luck, but I had just thought it through a few minutes beforehand - "at this stretch, relax and breathe, and at this point, go".

Also, running with such an experienced pacer (who just runs relaxed and comfortable - which is great to watch) is an enormous help.

Right, best do some work. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ah N, delighted. Well done. Super time and well handled. Great going.

"Well jel" This isn't a D3 thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

What a night!!! you got the cash, the hearts of the W60+ and a 1 mile pb. Super super well done Nop. Gutsy run and you will definitely be trashing your pbs all summer long with that performance. Really enjoyed that report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Fab running, nop! Well done!

Ah N, delighted. Well done. Super time and well handled. Great going.

"Well jel" This isn't a D3 thing!

Thank you A, it sounds like between you and BG, you need to sort out the D3 vocab. Mrs Mc, can you adjudicate?
    denis b wrote: »
    What a night!!! you got the cash, the hearts of the W60+ and a 1 mile pb. Super super well done Nop. Gutsy run and you will definitely be trashing your pbs all summer long with that performance. Really enjoyed that report.

Thanks Denis - I don't know what made me laugh more, the W60 hearts or the summer of PBs. I would have loved to run with you in Dunshaughlin but that's not going to happen schedule-wise.
    Fab running, nop! Well done!

Thanks C! :)

Wed May 25: 4M rec (5:42 min/km [9:10 min/mi])
    Some painful solo recovery miles after the highs of the day before.

Thu May 26: nada.

Fri May 27: 6M easy (5:26 min/km [8:45 min/mi])
    Fab day and not overly busy in work, so I thought I'd experiment a little with the usual lunchtime loop, admiring the Foxrock 'burbs.

Sat May 28: the usual wipe-out due to kids activities.

Sun May 29: 11M LSR (5:38 min/km [9:04 min/mi])
    Met local running legend and sub-5:30 miler DG for an hour of easy grass running. It's remarkable how the time and miles (even kms!) fly when you have company. Great to compare mentoring notes. I added a few more miles before and after, making my May mileage the longest (by a good bit) since DCM training - and there's a bit of month left!

4 short runs this week:

Mon May 30: 4M easy (5:33 min/km [8:27 min/mi])
    Short solo recovery run.

Tue May 31: 5M easy (5:23 min/km [8:39 min/mi])
    More solo easy miles (all my running buddies seem to have deserted me), following my new 5M route through the Foxrock 'burbs. What a splendid day.

Thu Jun 2: 4M tempo (4:58 min/km [8:00 min/mi])
    Again, solo run, and fed up with the easy miles, I made this one a progression session, starting easy and ending up at 5k pace. Actually felt very strong throughout.

Fri Jun 3: 5M v-easy (5:52 min/km [9:27 min/mi])
    Finally a running buddy, two actually (sub-2h project did a shorter loop, and I ran with another somewhat slower colleague). Lovely lovely easy run, splendid weather, nice chat, didn't break a sweat.

Tomorrow, all going well, Jr 1 will make his parkrun debut. Can't wait.

Sat Jun 4: ~5M including Shanganagh Parkrun
    Proud dad this morning, as both Jr 1 and Jr 2 tried their hand at the local parkrun. Jr 2, only 7yo, finished the first lap (1km) and then decided she had sore bones and wanted to sit down. So I quickly got a picnic blanket rolled out next to the finishline, provided her with some water, and gave her the job to mind our barcodes. Jr 1 (9yo) had ran up ahead, so once Jr 2 was comfortable, I had to leg it to catch him. He ran very smoothly and I had to keep reminding him to take it easy. We slowly accelerated during the last lap and he ended with a respectable ~27m30 or thereabouts. They both want to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

nop98 wrote: »
    Sat Jun 4: ~5M including Shanganagh Parkrun
    Proud dad this morning, as both Jr 1 and Jr 2 tried their hand at the local parkrun. Jr 2, only 7yo, finished the first lap (1km) and then decided she had sore bones and wanted to sit down. So I quickly got a picnic blanket rolled out next to the finishline, provided her with some water, and gave her the job to mind our barcodes. Jr 1 (9yo) had ran up ahead, so once Jr 2 was comfortable, I had to leg it to catch him. He ran very smoothly and I had to keep reminding him to take it easy. We slowly accelerated during the last lap and he ended with a respectable ~27m30 or thereabouts. They both want to do it again!

Kids are just so fit it's annoying !!!! Well done to Jnr 1 and 2

More short runs here (yawn) and my first "spin" as, apparently, the Strava lingo goes.

Mon Jun 6: 3M recce in Portrush, NI (5:36 min/km [9:01 min/mi])
    The family travelled up North for the long weekend and what a nice weekend in turned out to be. We took in all the sights along the North and East Antrim coast and it was just stunning in the nice weather. I got out early Monday morning to run around Portrush. I had noticed a local parkrun route along the beach which I followed for a short while, but me and beach-running are not great friends. It was very warm and stuffy and while the views were stunning, I was dismayed by all the rubbish strewn around.

Tue Jun 7: 5M v-easy (5:58 min/km [9:37 min/mi])
    Back on home turf and out with sub-2h buddy and another colleague. We ran easy and it was super enjoyable.

Wed Jun 8: "Spin" up Ticknock Wood :)
    My three close colleagues and I decided to take a cheeky afternoon off to go MTB'ing on Ticknock. Despite cycling all around in my previous life, I had never MTB'd before but really, really enjoyed it. The stunning weather obviously helped. No problem on the uphills (all this running does seem to have some good effects) and cautious on the downhills meant I was paddy-last but didn't mind. Rather not break a leg :) Over 2 hours with plenty of stops, and a really good workout, >300m elevation. Loved it!

Thu Jun 9: 4M easy + strides (5:32 min/km [8:55 min/mi])
    Out with same colleague as Tuesday, doing our usual shorter 4M loop. He 'fessed up that he had signed up for the 5M on Sunday, and I had just posted on the Novices thread about doing strides. So, during the final 2km, I put him through his paces but he grudgingly complied :)

Fri Jun 10: 4M steady (5:06 min/km [8:13 min/mi])
    Solo-run along the usual loop, wanted to do much more but ran way behind in work. So out for a short one and the legs felt good, so gave them a good stretch. The minute I was back, the heavens opened, so that was well timed.

Tomorrow, I'll observe the changing of the guard at the next-nearest parkrun - best of luck FD! Hopefully I can get a decent hour in beforehand, as the first goal race of the year is only 4 weeks away :eek: that blasted Cabinteely Hill will hopefully stand to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hi Nop, if you're up early on a Sunday morning, bring the kids over to Albert College Junior parkrun .... 130 kids showed up for the first one! It's very close to the m50 (ballymun exit)... Only 2k so easy on the bones for your daughter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks a mil for your help today Nop, much appreciated, sorry I didn't get much of a chance to chat :D:D

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Hi Nop, if you're up early on a Sunday morning, bring the kids over to Albert College Junior parkrun .... 130 kids showed up for the first one! It's very close to the m50 (ballymun exit)... Only 2k so easy on the bones for your daughter :D

Is that on Sundays? Will definitely do it in the near future. Their grandparents live close by so we can combine it with a trip there.
    Firedance wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for your help today Nop, much appreciated, sorry I didn't get much of a chance to chat :D:D

My pleasure, FD! You were busy enough so me and HSR enjoyed our coffees and had a good natter instead :)

Sat Jun 11: 7M easy (5:39 min/km; 9:06 min/mi) + 3M "good lash"-effort at the Cabinteely Parkrun (4:45 min/km; 7:39 min/mi).

Couldn't miss Firedance's first outing as Race Director, and obviously she did a splendid job. Since I wanted to get about 10M in today I arrived an hour early, ran practically back home, and back to the park again.

Very nice surprise was that hillsiderunner had made a guest appearance as barcode scanner, so it was nice to finally meet in person!

The run itself was hot and humid and a bit of a sweat-fest. Obviously, my plans of "just jogging around" were out of the window within about 250 meters. It seems to be my m.o. in Cabinteely, to start at the back and then slowly overtake most of the field. :o

Ended up with ~23:40 or thereabouts, which felt about what the effort deserved.

HSR and I were then given the tokens to sort out over a cup of coffee. FD was busying herself with results and other important looking stuff. Very pleasant post-parkrun chat, coffee, and cake, and then back home to collect kids.

Advertisement