Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

nop98 wrote: »
    I
    Very nice surprise was that hillsiderunner had made a guest appearance as barcode scanner, so it was nice to finally meet in person!.

Nice to meet you too, and fingers crossed the next time we meet will be at a race! Btw, forgot to say among the chat about the Novices ;) ... has been great running-progress from you in recent times, keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Nice pic of you in full flight on the cabinteely Facebook page!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Nice to meet you too, and fingers crossed the next time we meet will be at a race! Btw, forgot to say among the chat about the Novices ;) ... has been great running-progress from you in recent times, keep it up.

Oh thank you, HSR :) I hope your injury woes will soon be behind you, and we'll line up for sure!
    annapr wrote: »
    Nice Horrific pic of you in full some form of flight on the cabinteely Facebook page!

FYP :)

Wow, it's a week since I notified the world of the junk-miles I have been clocking up.

Mon Jun 13: 5M steady (5:10 min/km [8:18 min/mi])
    Busy week ahead in work, so I wanted to start clocking up the weekly miles early. It was raining, so I headed to the dreadmill, even started running on it, uttered some words along the well-phrased "feck this" line, and went outside. Absolutely loved it, ran completely by feel (I knew it was faster than easy), I was a soaked mess when I returned but it was one of the nicer runs of late.

Wed Jun 15: 6M easy (5:47 min/km [9:19 min/mi])
    The predicted work madness prevented running at lunchtime, but the young lad had GAA training in the local park, so I laced up and ran on the grassy trails while he practiced.

Thu Jun 16: 5M easy (5:44 min/km [9:13 min/mi])
    Out with a few colleagues, easy junk miles.

Sat Jun 18: 10+M, slow (kick-ass hill) and PHMP-ish (Shanganagh Parkrun) (5:20 min/km combined [8:36 min/mi], first bit ~5:35ish min/km).
    With Achill only 2 weeks away, I wanted to bank one decent effort. I ran up Carrickgollogan (Brides Glen and Puck's Castle Road), regretted not bringing my phone as the views were marvelous. Down Quarry Road which hurt as usual - it's so steep. I had to hurry up a little to get to the local Parkrun in time.

I started at the back as usual and allowed the legs to de-seize after standing around a bit. Slowly increased the effort and overtook most. There was a young lad trying to cling onto me and the competitive streak got the better of me (:o). Finished 23:4x or thereabouts. Jogged to another part of the park to collect the GA playing lad again and made a splendiforious stack of pancakes when home. All and all, a decent morning's work. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Achill must only be one week away by now?...I'll forget so have a super race and whatever happens* have a blast

* I know you'll do really well!!!

• Advertisement

It's next Saturday... We travel Whest on Friday, my friends arrive on Thursday.

One of them isn't running due to lack of training, but it's the only dude without a driver's license. :pac::pac::(:rolleyes:

Manic few weeks with work and plenty of RL stuff (mostly goodness). Managed a few boring mid-week runs:

Mon Jun 20: 4M easy (5:28 min/km) [8:48 min/mi]

Wed Jun 22: 5M easy (5:17 min/km) [8:31 min/mi]

Fri Jun 24: 5M easy (5:34 min/km) [8:58 min/mi]

Somewhat more interesting weekend run after a morning coaching my daughters' GA team:
    Sat Jun 25: 7-8M easy (5:29 min/km) [8:49 min/mi]
    Ran along my usual Lehaunstown route over the weird M50 bridge. I didn't really check watch at all and ran just by feel but didn't push it at all. I was surprised to note, when I came home, that no kilometer had been over 6 minutes despite the steep inclines. I never managed that before despite having ran it many many times. Felt great all along, too.

Only a few more days until the Achill HM and I am trying a mini taper (will try a short run tomorrow if time allows, but that'll be it). I am REALLY looking forward to the boys trip and I hope the day itself will go well, I'm hoping for a (modest) improvement on my time from CNM 2015. I guess a lot depends on the conditions on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck racing at the weekend N, I hope the wind out that way plays ball for and you run well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck in Achill nop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great one! I give you permission to go all out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck in half, have a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

All the best, may the wind be forever in your back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck looking forward to the report :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have a great race, N.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

No bother to ya, Nop! Enjoy those hills :D. And don't forget some cash, Achill not known for its ATMs :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very best of luck Nop! Looking forward to hearing about It.

1h45:11, nearly blown to bits and never thought "never again" as often as today... But almost 5 min PB... :D :pac: More later...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

1h45:11, nearly blown to bits and never thought "never again" as often as today... But almost 5 min PB... :D :pac: More later...

Nicely done! Now go drink some PB beers :cool:.

That is some going N, superb time in what is a very tough course and what sounds like tough conditions!

Aw that's fantastic!!!! well done, hope you enjoyed some well earned celebration beers :):)

• Advertisement

Great stuff NOP super PB :)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Nicely done! Now go drink some PB beers :cool:.
    diego_b wrote: »
    That is some going N, superb time in what is a very tough course and what sounds like tough conditions!
    Firedance wrote: »
    Aw that's fantastic!!!! well done, hope you enjoyed some well earned celebration beers :):)
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great stuff NOP super PB :)

Thank you all - the PB beers had to wait as someone had to drive alllll the way back first, but they tasted mighty fine all the same. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nicely done, Nop! Congrats.

Achill Island Half Marathon: 1:45:11 (PB by 4:46) - 4:59 min/km [8:02 min/mi]

My Dutch buddies from CNM'15 were over again this year, this time to run on fabulous Achill Island. A third friend came over too, ostensibly because you can't play cards (properly) with only three, but as there was a 10k option on Achill too, I entered him for that. He never took the bait (depite running plenty in his younger days) and was just happy to be chief banana-carrier and photographer.

Anyway - said buddies arrived Thursday evening and we travelled West on Friday. In Westport, we had a lunch-date with no-one other than the legendary Neady! She was in the same area doing some epic 50-mile event - we ran out of superlatives (a long time ago, actually) to describe our admiration for her efforts. Having done the Achill Half the year before, Neady had plenty of tips on the event - one little anecdote came in handy later. After a most enjoyable couple of hours, we packed up and headed further west. Lovely to meet you, Neady - and well done on your silverware! :cool:

We drove to Keel on Achill to collect our race-numbers and took the chance to actually drive the course of the half. The route is a large rectangle-like shape: ~5M east from Keel, which contained the biggest climb and descent of the day, 2 flat miles north, through exposed bogland, 2 miles west along the north-coast, and 4 miles southwest/south back to Keel. The last 6 miles would be rolling up and down constantly. As for expectations, I was very confident. I hadn't ran a half marathon in anger since Connemara last year (just under 1h50) and felt with the DCM and subsequent training, I'd easily run a PB and was hoping for sub 1h45 at the least. The plan was to set-off at 8 min/mi (5 min/km) and hopefully finish strong. I even had notions of 10M PBs en route and all that.

My pre-race sense of confidence took a little hit, as the course looked "challenging", to say the least. Lumpy and very exposed to the winds, which were forecast to be pretty strong, from the west. Ah sure, how hard can it be, I thought naievely. I have done my training, I though naievely.

Fast forward to the final result (almost a 5 min PB) and you might expect a report of a strong effort, a well-planned and executed race, in control, a glorious finish with the arms outstretched. In that case, you're in for some disappointment. :eek:

On the day itself, we arrived in time and did our little pre-race warmup along the Keel strand. Quite epic, if I may say so. One of my buddies lined up near the front (second row in fact), the other one somewhat behind him, and I found the 1:45 pacer balloons. My first little setback arrived when I realized I had given our fourth guy my in-flight gel during my warm-up and never took it back. Oh well, I can do without, I thought.

Miles 1-3 7:42, 7:52, 7:59
    The start was rather low-key and we were off. As we ran the first miles with the wind in our backs (and the first mile was flat), it felt easy and we had a laugh when after about 500 meters we were overtaken by the 1h50 pacers. After a minute or so, one of the 1h45's said rather sheepishly, "eh, you're supposed to be behind us" and eventually they dropped back.

The first climb is about 2.5 miles and not particularly steep, but certainly noticable. With the wind in our backs and the race-adrenaline, we ran sub 8 minutes miles all the way to the top. It felt challenging but as the 1h45 group had splintered very quickly, I had checked and realized there was nobody behind us. So, I resolved to stay with the group until the top even though this meant upping the effort. Didn't fancy running on my own. Ha. I wish I had remembered that for later.

Miles 4-6: 7:30, 7:26, 7:38
    Just before the top of the first hill, I was running next to the 1h45 pacer furthest back and I thought, bizarrely, that he was struggling with the pace and incline. So, as we came over the top, I made sure to catch up with the first pacer and started to enjoy the downhill stretch.

But before I knew it, I had also overtaken the first pacer and suddenly I found myself ahead of the 1h45 group. It wasn't as if I had upped the effort, it was just the effect of the downhill. But I was a little taken by surprise that the rest of the group didn't seem to accelerate at all. I made a split-decision to just keep going (it felt so easy and I thought I'd bank a bit more time), rather than forcibly hold back. Sure, they'll catch up soon enough, right?

Hmm, not quite. This is a rather long downhill and I suddenly found myself in no-mans land, the pace group being a good bit behind me and only 2 or 3 stragglers ahead of me. At about the 5 mile mark, we appear out of the natural cover and into the long exposed northbound stretch and the westerly wind nearly cuts me in two. This was a new experience to me - I never realized a sidewind could be so challenging. I think it was disrupting any attempt to keep proper form and from this moment on, as I was trying to stay on pace, the whole thing became one big sufferfest.

I caught up with a couple of runners in front of me and was planning to stay with them, but they were falling back fast and I stubbornly kept going all on my own. Rather foolishly as I knew this was not going to last. I did look over my shoulder a few times but the pace group was too far back to consider dropping back. I did realize I was about 90-120 seconds ahead of schedule but as the hard part of the race was to come (the headwind), I would need them all.

Miles 7-9: 8:12, 8:29, 8:05
    At way too fast an effort for the conditions, but me incapable of recognizing this, I kept going. Actually, I did realize it very well, and I was dreading the impending implosion, but I had no plan B. I made my way to the left turn at about 7M where I had intended to take my gel, but alas - this was safely tucked away in my friend's backpack. At least this bit was a little sheltered, until the next turn when we turned straight into the wind. I think this was the first time the thought of walking / stopping / curling up in a ditch was entering my head and it sounded very, very appealing.

A runner appeared from behind and I got overtaken for the first time since my downhill folly, followed quickly by a elderly gentleman. I stuck with these two lads for a while and we picked off a few more stragglers, but OMG I was struggling to keep pace in the wind and with the hills. The scenery is very pretty, with a large hill looming ahead (we'd turn left before it), a beach to the right and a village (Dugort) spread in front of us. But all my mental effort was at not stopping to walk. Just around 8 miles was a little nasty climb and I just wanted to give up, go home, quit the running and play bridge or petanque or whatever not painful for the rest of my life. I could not keep pace with the lads that had overtaken me and they were inching away. At least I managed to keep running and once we crested, it was a little better and I even picked up the pace somewhat.

Miles 10-11: 8:39, 7:57
    Before the 10M mark things actually looked up for a while. Despite the struggle I was acutely aware the 1h45s still hadn't caught me and I was now getting to a parkrun from home. I also noticed that the lads that had overtaken me (a few more since the first two) weren't exactly pulling away either, in fact, I reigned them in on the downhills. Just before the 10M mark, however, is a vicious climb that Neady had warned us for. She actually mentioned, last year, an ambulance being stationed at the about 2/3 up, which seemed like an appropriate place. This year, it was the same, an ambulance waiting as I labored by and the volunteers being very cheerful and supportive. It made me smile a little. However, my calf-muscles were complaining violently and threatened to cramp because of all the uphills which put a dampner on things.

At some point, the 10k course joins the route, and having started 45 minutes after the half, we joined the field from the back and started to overtake 10k runners. This was great distraction and quite the motivation. I like overtaking. Some of the 10k runners would shout encouragement to us which was great. And, I somehow was still ahead of the 1h45 lads.

Miles 12-13 9:08, 7:40
    Alas, my calves weren't getting any happier and I knew I had to slow down to avoid cramps. I waved the wand vigorously and suddenly thought that the compression socks weren't helping (they typically do, so that disappointed me). I stopped ever so briefly to roll them down and to stretch. This seemed to work but once we turned left for the last time, I had to stop again. I saw the 1h45s coming up behind me and I decided to stretch until they had caught up and then cling onto them. Last roll of the dice kinda thing. I ran with them for a bit but it still didn't feel okay. A different type of problem presented itself as I had nowhere to lean against for a calf-stretch in the barren landscape. A spectator ahead had parked his car and I unceremoniously stopped and used his car. I clearly recall thinking, "this dude better have his handbrake on :rolleyes:". Anyway, the problems were finally resolved and I set off after the 1h45 ballons which were bobbing away in the distance.

I got to Keel and just before the last turn, in sight of my three friends, I caught up with the pacers but from looking at my watch, I knew they were short of the target and despite best efforts (which, I assure you, were pretty lame at this stage) I fell a few seconds short at 1h45:11. Oh well, what can you do (other than running a little faster). :P

I collect medal and somehow know I should be delighted but I am just so exhausted and just a little disappointed by how things went. Even the gloss of a nice PB doesn't seem to change that. I drag the lads back to the finishline so we can clap in the finishers behind us (and I just needed to sit down for a while). I also notice the 2h pacers coming in well over 2h, must be a local thing. :confused:

The organizers put on a great post-run spread and we dig in with a vengeance. Best post-race refreshment I have ever seen! :pac::pac: I make sure to tell all volunteers as it was really great. We chat a bit with the locals and I get a couple of nice texts from folks back home. My friends try to cheer me up, they both thought conditions today were much worse than Connemara and consequently they are both 1-2 minutes slower. For me, the feeling of being totally out of control, waiting for the implosion without any backup plan lingers.

A very valuable lesson presents itself (I might use this on another thread, too ;)): it ain't in the bag until it's in the bag. You can do all the training and recce and psycho-prep, but you still have to do it. Nothing is guaranteed - I had assumed a good time would fall in my lap just like that, and had just gotten a little ahead of myself.

And with that, I park it and focus on the positives, I had clawed through all the low points, and despite all of it, nearly got my random self-imposed goal. Even as we congratulated the winner, Freddy, he admitted to being slower than last year as the conditions were so tough (still, 1h14 :eek:). So there.

Back in Keel, word filters through that one of my friends, 12th overall (!!) in ~1h30 might be in for an age-category price and sure enough, he wins M35-44 (the two lads ahead of him were 2nd and 3rd overall - so he gets the age-cat price). We wait around for the pricegiving and then drive home to Dublin. Note to self, driving for 4 hours not great recovery maketh! :)

My Dutch friends are considering making this a habit, so I am taking suggestions for next years' sojourn. So far, I am thinking Dingle!

https://www.strava.com/activities/627809279

Fair play for battling through the tough miles Nop great time well done sounds like a tough day out there. You do realise you're going to have to go again to get the sub 1.45 !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Nicely done Nop, great report as usual.

Great running Nop, when is your next hm attempt? I think you could be nice to yourself and pick a flat/fast route! I am giving Charleville a go this year.
    Dingle is a really nice run and I'm sure you'd enjoy it, was my favourite half marathon last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great report Nop, that was unbelievable going on that course and in those conditions, what a chunk to knock off your PB, there's more to come too. You dug in and kept going, that's what counts. What's more is that you recognise where you made mistakes and you'll learn from them, you're a great example for the DCM novices :)

It was great to meet you and your friends in Westport, thank you so much for stopping off to meet us :) I'm delighted to get a mention but very very far from a legend :) My 50mile plod was easier for me then a 13.1 mile attempt at a PB on that course would have been, I can guarantee you that.

Oh, the Dingle running festival is on next year April 21st to 23rd https://www.facebook.com/dinglerunfitfestival/

Great report Nop, okay there are lessons learned but for what its worth you're being a little hard on yourself :) those kind of half marathons are tough battles rather than glide along to a massive PB type courses!! Diegob is right, on a fast flat course you'd be well under the 1.45 - Athlone HM is September 10th (very flat) and Charleville is known for being a very fast course too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well done and great report. Sure at least you know you could lash out a sub 1:45 on an easier course without breaking a sweat ;)

Advertisement