Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

nop98 wrote: »
    Conservatively, if I can get home under 4h, I'll be delighted.

That's very conservative I think ... or if not, those 2016 grads will be on your back about the pace of your LSRs :). You're flying along lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done on the long run Nop sorry we didn't get to catch up at pr next time. Enjoy the taper the hays in the barn as they say around these parts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

That's very conservative I think ... or if not, those 2016 grads will be on your back about the pace of your LSRs :). You're flying along lately.

It was only a matter of time before you'd call me out on that, HSR .... :o
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done on the long run Nop sorry we didn't get to catch up at pr next time. Enjoy the taper the hays in the barn as they say around these parts :)

Thank you Mrs Mc - I'm actually back in St Anne's next week for another away match, but it seems there's no parkrun, on account of the BHAA races... Might see some familiar faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Conservatively, if I can get home under 4h, I'll be delighted. So the plan is to go out at that pace, hopefully be slightly ahead of that in Leenane, and to take it easy on that first climb of the second half. Then enjoy the long downhill stretch and dig deep for the HotW. Easier said than done, me thinks. :rolleyes:

What about you?

I was considering a similar strategy. I haven't raced proper in a long time so I don't know where I am in terms of running and I haven't put a dedicated training block in for this marathon (or done the few LSRs I have done at the correct pace) so I'm cautious of going out too hard. I'd rather go too soft and give everything I have coming over the HoTW than be in a world of pain from Leenane to Maam Cross.

Conditions will also be a deciding factor but I'm considering starting with a 4 hour pace in mind and adjusting accordingly during the race.

Neady83 wrote: »
    I was considering a similar strategy. I haven't raced proper in a long time so I don't know where I am in terms of running and I haven't put a dedicated training block in for this marathon (or done the few LSRs I have done at the correct pace) so I'm cautious of going out too hard. I'd rather go too soft and give everything I have coming over the HoTW than be in a world of pain from Leenane to Maam Cross.

Conditions will also be a deciding factor but I'm considering starting with a 4 hour pace in mind and adjusting accordingly during the race.

In that case, it sounds like we'll have plenty of opportunity to catch up :) Can't wait to hear all about The Race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Conservatively, if I can get home under 4h, I'll be delighted.

That's very conservative I think ... or if not, those 2016 grads will be on your back about the pace of your LSRs :).  You're flying along lately.

It hasn't gone unnoticed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

kin9pin wrote: »

The Flying Dutchman, according to others of the A&R parish.

kin9pin wrote: »
    The Flying Dutchman, according to others of the A&R parish.

Of course, what you're seeing here I suspect is *not* badly-paced LSRs, but this little sport known as s***b***ing :).

...... you thought them too well Nop :D

It's a clear case of "do as I say, not as I do" ;)

Especially considering I bought new runners (today) with the aim of using them @ CNM .... :D

• Advertisement

It was only a matter of time before you'd call me out on that, HSR .... :o

Thank you Mrs Mc - I'm actually back in St Anne's next week for another away match, but it seems there's no parkrun, on account of the BHAA races... Might see some familiar faces!

That's right no pr so I think there is some pr tourism going on. A few of us doing the great Ireland Sunday so resting the legs Saturday :)

A transcript of my brain these days reads like this:
    "A fortnight from now, there will be sore legs.
    And beer.
    Definitely sore legs.
    Oh, and definitely beer
    (drat, have to drive home first)
    (why can't one of my buddies drive)
    (must figure out train options)
    (yummm beer)."

Hang on, I digress. You came here for junk-miles. Junk-miles you'll get!

Mon Apr 3: 5M easy @9:15 min/mi
    Solo-run. Don't remember much other than I did my usual lunch-time loop clock-wise, instead of the usual anti-clockwise! The excitement. I must be going delirious.

Tue Apr 4: Sweet nothing, other than finally getting a new set of runners for CNM17. "Leaving it a little late?", I hear you wonder, and you are right. But these are the exact same type/size as my previous pair, which had been excellent.

Wed Apr 5: 6M easy @9:20 min/mi
    Running my new Kilternan loop in my new runners, indeed as splendid as I hoped they would be. I know that these miles (particularly, the paces) are under Scottish scrutiny but it all feels rather easy, and this run (like others) passes the conversation test - I was running with my colleague and we were nattering all around.

Thu Apr 6 and Fri Apr 7: Easy solo mileage on the grass in the local park (5M in 9:22 and 9:13 min/mi respectively).
    For various reasons, I was working from home in the morning so I decided to lace-up right after dropping my kids to school and clock up some miles on the trails in the local park. Fabuluous mornings for it, all really easy stuff. The amount of other runners was amazing.

Friday evening also saw me in pain again getting a "elbows-first"-rub-down. One more of these sessions booked next week.

Sat Apr 8: Rest with some jogging
    This was a rest day but as I was in St Anne's park in the morning, I ran a couple of miles (from jr GAA pitch to the start of the BHAA races and back) to see if I could spot some known faces - particularly BG. I was on my way back when I literary ran into her, we had a quick little chat before she was off again to do strides and win all kinds of prizes in her race. My young fella clocked up 3-1 in his hurling match but still lost :(

Sun Apr 9: 15M LSR @ 9:19 min/mi
    Yes, HSR, I admit, too fast for LSR pace but this was planned. :)

Mrs Mc had remarked some posts above that all hay is now in the barn, but I felt I had one bale yet to bring in. Early Feb, I ran an ill-planned "long run" straight from the local junior parkrun, to Greystones and back home over the cliff-path. 13 less-than-pleasant miles later, I was at home, wondering why on earth I had signed up for this again. I took a few days off to re-consider things but the train was back on the rails shortly after.

As final long run in this block, I was planning to return to this route and banish the bad memories. To add some feel-good elements, I added a couple of miles for good measure AND I wanted to run certain stretches at PMP or over. I had also been following the updates from the Rotterdam marathon and all the great performances of the locals - which is very inspiring indeed.

Turned out to be an excellent dress-rehearsal. Wore all the gear and tried out a few new things which all worked a charm (a new electrolyte drink and I had made some changes to the backpack). The cliff-path was packed and I had fun trying to work out all the different languages I heard. For most part, this run felt great and easy enough, and other than some of the usual (minor) niggles, there are no ill effects.

Now, the hay is truly in the barn and the tapering can start! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

I always think you underestimate yourself Nop, You've had a really solid block
    and have been really consistent over the last couple of years, with your Junk miles as you call them, You have a good engine and I think you maybe under selling yourself, if weather plays ball on the day I can see a really good return for all those "junk miles" the hay is definitely in the barn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Enjoy the taper (and easy few weeks) Nop and looking forward to seeing how CNM goes for you!

I'm quite jealous of the training block that you've put in Nop. I hope this weekends LSR has given you the confidence that you should have in spades after the training you've put in. Fingers crossed that the sun shines on us in Connemara in two weeks :) Enjoy the taper :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great long run to round a good training cycle off. Enjoy the taper!

Sun Apr 9: 15M LSR @ 9:19 min/mi
    Yes, HSR, I admit, too fast for LSR pace but this was planned. :)

Too fast LSR compared to the fictional goal pace you have been trailing. *If* we believed it... 3:45 is much more likely I think.

Same with Neady, am not believing any of that stuff about not knowing how to race it. :pac:

Can you not get your sub-2hr project (or another buddy) to drive you all to Connemara and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Too early to be wishing you anything other than good luck with the taper madness :D. I agree with the others - a great training block under the belt and you may well surprise yourself (but not us)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    I always think you underestimate yourself Nop, You've had a really solid block
    and have been really consistent over the last couple of years, with your Junk miles as you call them, You have a good engine and I think you maybe under selling yourself, if weather plays ball on the day I can see a really good return for all those "junk miles" the hay is definitely in the barn :)

Thank you GK, let's see how it goes!
    diego_b wrote: »
    Enjoy the taper (and easy few weeks) Nop and looking forward to seeing how CNM goes for you!

Thanks you Diego, well done on all your recent PBs!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    I'm quite jealous of the training block that you've put in Nop. I hope this weekends LSR has given you the confidence that you should have in spades after the training you've put in. Fingers crossed that the sun shines on us in Connemara in two weeks :) Enjoy the taper :)

Fingers crossed for sunshine indeed :) You enjoy the taper too, when you're not busy running mad mountain-treks! :D
    Singer wrote: »
    Great long run to round a good training cycle off. Enjoy the taper!

Thank you B - runmutes all the way :)
    Too fast LSR compared to the fictional goal pace you have been trailing. *If* we believed it... 3:45 is much more likely I think.

Same with Neady, am not believing any of that stuff about not knowing how to race it. :pac:

Can you not get your sub-2hr project (or another buddy) to drive you all to Connemara and back?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hilly - but I'll stick to my conservative target for now. But I agree that Neady will indeed speed things along :)

Sub-2hr has injured himself and is walking the Half (or so he says), but the other fella PB'd in the Great Ireland 10k and is flying. We'll all be looking forward to a post-race beer.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Too early to be wishing you anything other than good luck with the taper madness :D. I agree with the others - a great training block under the belt and you may well surprise yourself (but not us)

Thanks BG! We'll do our best to surprise you too!

The hay is definately in the barn now !!!

• Advertisement

A bit late with the weekly update! Real life has the habit of getting in the way :)

Mon Apr 10
    Rest-day after the last long run. Body and mind happy with the break :)

Tue Apr 11: 5M easy @ 9:26 min/mi
    Easy mileage with my colleague who's doing the CNM-half. He ran his first sub-50 10k over the weekend (sub-49 in fact!) so he's looking well for the Half. I am still pondering his time-target revision. :D

Wed Apr 12: 6M @ PMPish @ 9:07 min/mi
    Nice longer mid-week run with my French tri-athlete colleague. We chatted all the way and it felt splendid. It's a little below PMP but too fast to be called easy :)

Thu Apr 13: more taper-enforced break-ness.

Fri Apr 14: 5M easy @ 9:27 min/mi
    Early morning mileage up Brides Glen Road, which is a nasty enough little climb, just to remind the legs what's in store for them on Sunday. We were travelling to Netherlands that afternoon (family gathering), so I had to get some miles (and a hill!) in beforehand.

Sat-Sun-Mon
    A family weekend in the "Veluwe" National Park may not be the ideal final weekend prep, with too much nice food, a few glasses of vino, as well as the end-less keepy-uppy games of footbal with the nephews, minding younger ones, and climbing this yoke to the top as a race. :rolleyes:

Then again, don't they say that a lot of running is done between the ears, well, the mind got plenty of inspiration by the fabulous paintings (Van Gogh, Mondriaan, Cezanne and many others) and other splendidness in the nearby museum (http://krollermuller.nl/ - not as well known as its more famous counterparts in Amsterdam, but at least as nice in my opinion, and well worth a visit if you're ever in these parts).

Oh, and some running, I did get ~90 minutes in (9:14 min/mi) over the local paths/trails, surprisingly undulating and equally surprisingly freezing cold). :eek:

Tue Apr 18: 5M @ 8:54 min/mi
    Upon returning, couldn't wait to burn off some of the excess calories with some miles on the paths/grass of the local park. Didn't watch the speed which was obviously way too fast, but I doubt if that'll make any sort of difference at this stage :) Famous last words.

Two more runs this week. Well, three (:eek:), but I'm not thinking about the third one just yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

OMG that yoke looks a bit scary!!!! :D

Best of luck on Sunday N :) do you have a time target in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Have a great race nop, enjoy the hills.

So that's how flatlanders do their hill training ;). Am sure you had the edge on them all.

Good luck for Sunday and I look forward to reading the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's some, eh, unusual cross training all right.

Best of luck on Sunday, you will smash it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck for the weekend N, FBOT gave me good advice last year on babystepping it up the HOTW and he was spot on. Shorten your stride and you'll be grand. Remember that it does level every so often so what I did was just focus on the small bends on the road as the target or else the next spot where I figured it levelled off a bit....to me it seemed like lots of smalls hills one after another instead of the one big hill.
    Hoping conditions are favourable for you!

OMG that yoke looks a bit scary!!!! :D

Best of luck on Sunday N :) do you have a time target in mind?
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Have a great race nop, enjoy the hills.
    So that's how flatlanders do their hill training ;). Am sure you had the edge on them all.

Good luck for Sunday and I look forward to reading the report.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's some, eh, unusual cross training all right.

Best of luck on Sunday, you will smash it!
    diego_b wrote: »
    Best of luck for the weekend N, FBOT gave me good advice last year on babystepping it up the HOTW and he was spot on. Shorten your stride and you'll be grand. Remember that it does level every so often so what I did was just focus on the small bends on the road as the target or else the next spot where I figured it levelled off a bit....to me it seemed like lots of smalls hills one after another instead of the one big hill.
    Hoping conditions are favourable for you!

Thank you all!

I don't really have a target other than (a) Finish and (b) Not Hate It (other, wiser, handsomer, and better runners would phrase that as 'ENJOY'). The race plan is to go out at 4h pace, try and drift ahead of it somewhat once we're out of Leenane (past the halfway mark), and then cling onto dear life during the finale. But also to not get overly worked up about any sort of finish time. I read Krusty's 2:30:01 report from Rotterdam several times - among other nuggets, it gives some excellent perspective on finishing times.

Diego, I recall the HotW from 2 years ago, and while it was long, it wasn't as fearsome as I had expected. There was carnage all around tho, and I just chunked it up by picking off targets that had been reduced to walking. Seems very similar to your strategy. Once you get to the top, it's a painful mile(ish) steep down, and then another mile home. I thought that last mile was the hardest! :eek:

I don't really have a target other than (a) Finish and (b) Not Hate It (other, wiser, handsomer, and better runners would phrase that as 'ENJOY'). The race plan is to go out at 4h pace, try and drift ahead of it somewhat once we're out of Leenane (past the halfway mark), and then cling onto dear life during the finale. But also to not get overly worked up about any sort of finish time. I read Krusty's 2:30:01 report from Rotterdam several times - among other nuggets, it gives some excellent perspective on finishing times.

Can I just copy and paste that onto my log please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

You have certainly set yourself up for a great experience Nop. Hope you get out of it what you want.

Advertisement