Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Epic race timed run report :)

Not sure what your future plans are, but you seem to do really well over shorter distances (bonus no cramping!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hold on... does this mean the first 3 steps didn't really happen????

...and why does step 5 sound so easy for you? Are you leaving out loads of pain and self doubt???

And well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice one Nop, recovery obviously going well, nice relaxed approach paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Congrats, nop, now a week more of aimless running here and there, and go again and push next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Singer wrote: »
    Epic race timed run report :)

Not sure what your future plans are, but you seem to do really well over shorter distances (bonus no cramping!)

Yes, the no-cramping is a bonus! No real plans yet, maybe Dunshaughlin.
    annapr wrote: »
    Hold on... does this mean the first 3 steps didn't really happen????

...and why does step 5 sound so easy for you? Are you leaving out loads of pain and self doubt???

And well done!

Unfortunately, parts 1-3 must really happen. That is the beauty of this plan. You must really believe in these steps, prepare, run it like a madman, be properly deflated when you miss your goals, etc, etc. Only then, will it work. And yes, step 5 felt pretty easy, actually, certainly no self-doubt and only "good" pain. :)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Nice one Nop, recovery obviously going well, nice relaxed approach paid off.

Yes, indeed! Thanks GK.
    Congrats, nop, now a week more of aimless running here and there, and go again and push next weekend!

Plenty more aimless running planned, HSR! And a hilly parkrun with the young fella on Saturday, is the plan at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Fantastic running Nop, have you thought about doing a 5km road race?

You're doing something right, I wouldn't get within a sniff of a time like that on a 5km.

This week some a return to regular running, with 3 mid-week 5M easy sessions. In fact, very easy as a new colleague has decided to run with us, and he makes my sub-2h project a speedy gazelle. So, plenty of run-walks and motivational talks etc. :rolleyes:

Sat May 13
    Myself and my young fella skipped his away football match in BallyBackendOfNowhere in favor of the Cabinteely Parkrun, to mark the occasion of the visiting St Anne's parkrun royalty. FBOT was RD and Mrs Mc was timing, so we thought we'd have a go at our Cab Parkrun PB, which stood somewhere at the mid-23 mark (Cab is much harder than a regular parkrun, it has the same long drag at the end of each of the three laps, and a further little stinger at the far end of the park (to be conquered twice)). :eek:

Great to meet up with a lot of familar faces, including The Muppet and also great to get first-hand insight into the Conn Ultra from Marthastew. Who knows!? Don't go there, Norb, no, really, don't. :rolleyes:

So, we set-off once FBOT ushered us all along, the two of us mid-pack for an easy start trundling down the hill. We slowly made our way up the field, very amused by the very enthusiastic cheering as we came through the finish area twice during the run. I always feel like the pushy parent, because M seems to have a hard time keeping up with me the first couple of km's, but as soon as he knows we're close, he finds a gear that I don't have. :rolleyes: Again, when we were near the final climb, he actually asked if we were about done - and when I confirmed that, he accelarated uphill, leaving his old man for dust (and said auld fella was *really* trying). 22:5x for both of us, happy days, a second course PB in 2 weeks!

Nice to catch up afterwards, AgyR made an appearance between vet visits, and even got to tell the great yaboya1 (winning the day) how inspiring his London report was.

Sun May 14
    An easy hour in the blazing sun, really loved it. I made an effort to find out my stride-frequency, as I think it might be too low (and thus contributing to my cramping woes). I counted strides 5 times for one minute, on flat, slightly uphill, and slightly downhill trajectories, and it was consistently between 151 and 154 strides/min - which seems well below the recommended 180 strides/min I have read about. Now, how to change this? I don't know :P any recommendations welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

nop98 wrote: »
    I counted strides 5 times for one minute, on flat, slightly uphill, and slightly downhill trajectories, and it was consistently between 151 and 154 strides/min - which seems well below the recommended 180 strides/min I have read about. Now, how to change this? I don't know :P any recommendations welcome.

I watched a video about chi-running a while back where they run with a beeper set to 180/min and keep their steps in time to that. Would not be suggesting you carry one of those round Dublin :rolleyes: but if you listen a track for a while maybe you can think about matching those beats during the run.

I've been doing this a bit myself lately, also trying to lead from the core (that helps because it reduces the step length + I think over-striding decreases bpm).

Here's a 180bpm track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kafMsiaGQ7Y
    (it's not the one I've been channelling, the one I saw was two elderly folk with knee problems running with a beeper and talking about how they were at the back of their race but they didn't care because they are happy to be able to jog ...)

Hoping someone more expert will have a proper answer for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Some good suggestions there from HSR, I think James Dunne had some posts about this before and suggested something similar.
    You'd probably have to shorten your stride length or else you'll be running the next Breaking 2 event from Nike...if you can combine both.

I am an 180 stride per minute man, I'd kill for a good stride length though.

Thanks folks, really appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking along the same lines.

I think I have seen the video you mentioned, Diego: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08lmp5zQAmA

The athlete he is talking has a very similar "overstriding" heel-strike at a lower stride frequency. See this pic during the local parkrun.

So, I went out earlier this week with a metronome app on my phone, set to 170 spm (similar 10% increase as in the video, not cranking it all the way to 180), and, well, suffice it to say it needs a lot of practice. I found it next to impossible to keep to the faster cadence (plus running with a phone in your hand is a total pain). I had to switch it off after a while because I kept being out of sync and got increasingly frustrated :)

So, work in progress. I do think it is worth pursuing, because the "before" posture of the guy in the video is very similar to mine, and I have to say, it doesn't look good.

(can I just mention that I did beat those three fellas behind me in the picture?) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

My own stride rate (cadence) isn't perfect – somewhere in 170s last time I checked. I think there's a bit of a dispute about whether 180 is really the perfect number, but I did manage to get up closer to that number by practicing on the treadmill a few years ago. I think maybe gradual change is best - going from 150s to 180 is too drastic. Maybe just pay attention to it for the odd km on your training runs, counting off against your watch, concentrating on shorter strides. I'd try to get to 160 first, then gradually work your way up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I missed that 5k, well done! And you looked so 'meh' when I asked you on Tuesday how things were! Good work on that, btw. I think short stuff is where your natural 'bent' lies but you do seem to enjoy the longer stuff.

Re cadence, you don't need to aim for a faster cadence all the time. Your slower runs will naturally be at a lower cadence and that's ok, even the elites lower @ slower. From what I understand, your fastest cadence will happen when you race and for most elites, this is generally at 180'bpm'. You should probably aim to introduce a quicker cadence when doing tempo work etc. For that, you would ideally need someone observing and counting. (Did I hear you say you were in a club now....?!) No harm to do the cadence count thing when on easy or steady runs for a minute at a time, just to get a feel for it.

Murph_D wrote: »
    My own stride rate (cadence) isn't perfect – somewhere in 170s last time I checked. I think there's a bit of a dispute about whether 180 is really the perfect number, but I did manage to get up closer to that number by practicing on the treadmill a few years ago. I think maybe gradual change is best - going from 150s to 180 is too drastic. Maybe just pay attention to it for the odd km on your training runs, counting off against your watch, concentrating on shorter strides. I'd try to get to 160 first, then gradually work your way up over time.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I missed that 5k, well done! And you looked so 'meh' when I asked you on Tuesday how things were! Good work on that, btw. I think short stuff is where your natural 'bent' lies but you do seem to enjoy the longer stuff.

Re cadence, you don't need to aim for a faster cadence all the time. Your slower runs will naturally be at a lower cadence and that's ok, even the elites lower @ slower. From what I understand, your fastest cadence will happen when you race and for most elites, this is generally at 180'bpm'. You should probably aim to introduce a quicker cadence when doing tempo work etc. For that, you would ideally need someone observing and counting. (Did I hear you say you were in a club now....?!) No harm to do the cadence count thing when on easy or steady runs for a minute at a time, just to get a feel for it.

Thank you both for the advice re: cadence. I am certainly not going to force it from 150 to 180 (I don't think I'd be able, even if I were to try).

I had one miserable attempt running with a metronome app, which failed. But I was out on another easy run with my colleagues, when I measured twice, both ~152. My running buddy reported ~165, so next couple of times I measured, I just tried to match his stride-rate and it worked a charm. So I think I am just going to do that a couple of times a week during the easy stuff. Yet to do a 'tempo' session to see if the stride-rate naturally increases.

As for running, a rather unremarkable week with 3x5 easy miles mid-week (one on the grass in the local park) but an interesting 2km race time-trial organized by the local club (my local club, actually :D). There were about 20 athletes (including the better half, we had dropped our two charges at the junior training session of the same club!), including the local elites. I registered with Dubgal who was very much in her element with the clip-board, handing out numbers etc. I had no idea what to expect or aim for, having ran easy mileage earlier in the afternoon, but anything under 8 minutes seemed like a good target. The race would be 2 laps of the first parkrun lap (1km each). A very low-key start and as I was keen not to go out too fast, I settled behind a local runner, who I know from the local parkrun and typically runs a similar time to me. The first lap felt tough but doable and I felt I had to hold back to not overtake this guy. So just before the 1km split, I decided to overtake and did my best "when you go, go decisively"-impersonation. Whatever, it worked, as he couldn't follow. Two boards-legends called out the splits for the first km (3:58) so I knew I was on target and felt I had more left. I set my sights on another fella ahead of us and got him around the mile-mark. From that moment, it was "madman" work and eventually I collapsed over the line in 7:53. I was happy enough with that, although in hindsight, the first lap could have been a bit faster. Clapped in the other competitors and then biked it over to play bridge in my running-shorts - just like last year during the summer.

During the weekend (we were away in Mayo to avoid the HFC-malarky), I completed a "parenting triathlon", first we cycled a good part (26km) of the Great Western bike-path (with my daughter on the back), then we swam (well, messed about) in the hotel pool for about 90 minutes, and then I was out for a few evening miles to finish it all off. :D

In other news, I have signed up for the Charleville HM! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Another one for Charleville, eh! It's a great spot for a PB. I meant to reply to your post re: cadence earlier one. This was something I never thought of really - until I got a watch that could measure it. Basically, at slower speeds you need to shorten your stride to increase your cadence to 180. It feels really unnatural at first but after a while you get used to it. In the end though, I could bored of it and frustrated too - I had enough to be watching with trying keep an eye on pace and HR without bringing a third variable into it. I think I read that it was more natural for someone taller to have a lower cadence. I find my cadence is in and around 165 for most easy runs, 180 or so for fast stuff and races and can be down around 160 on trails or grass. I think I can't hurt to try and increase your cadence a bit - but what your really trying to do, I suspect, is correct overstriding. I can't really help you with that - i wouldn't know much if anything about it, but I would assume you would do this by doing drills and the like. I think regular strides help with leg turnover and I would do these at a very high cadence (200 or so). I think if you work on the overstriding your cadence will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

A triathlon! I love it! The rot is well and truly spreading :D nice save by signing up to Charleville though :cool:

I saw the results of that time trail on FB and meant to congratulate you, excellent work.

I forgot I had taken some pictures from my quick run on Saturday.

418026.jpg

As far as I know (but I am sure Neady will correct me if I am wrong), this is Croagh Patrick, from the other side of Clew Bay.

Mon May 22: 6.5M @ 8:18 min/mi
    Solu-run up the hill towards Kilternan and Stepaside. Wanted to go easy but stepped on the gas in the second half.

Tue May 23: 4.2M @ 9:37 min/mi
    Short run with two colleagues, one returning from a long absence so we took it handy. Eventually the other lad and I went ahead a bit and threw in some strides. Busy week with work, so delighted to get some miles in.

Wed May 24 and Thu May 25
    Enforced rest due to work-business/visitors. :(

Fri May 26: Mountainy run up and over Tibradden (5.4M @ 10:34 min/mi)
    Having spent the three days before in conference rooms, my DCM15 buddy and I weren't going to let the last nice day slip away so we headed up into the Dublin Mountains at lunchtime. I had never ran this route before but the views were stunning. Sweaty, hard work, but great run, ~300m of elevation (sorry, I'll do miles, but I am not doing feet!)

Sat May 27: Shanganagh parkrun (3.0M @ 7:17 min/mi)
    The young fella was on GA duty in the local park so I was going to cruise around for something in the 23m. I was late to the start and yesterday's hills were still in my legs, so took my time on the first lap, then started to pick-up runners. It was so humid, I was a dripping sweaty mess within minutes, but gave it a decent effort until about 4km when I settled in between two lads. I thought I could have them so I waited patiently to the finishing straight and then overtook both. One quickly faded but the other one come back, and I .... just let him overtake :o. Oh well, the time wasn't the worst (22m37s or thereabouts) but a bit disappointed not fighting harder for my spot. Anyway, said my thanks to the volunteers, collected the young lad, went home, and the heavens opened. Good timing! :)

Sun May 28: 9.5M @ 9:17 min/mi
    Lovely lovely run North along the coast to Dalkey, and back the same way. I even ran a little bit over Killiney beach, and it's namesake Hill was a steep b*st*rd as usual. But the views of Sorrento Tce, Dalkey Island etc were well worth it. Loved it. Again, about 300m elevation gain.:cool:

Lovely pic Nop, stunning part of the country.

Triathlons and lots of hill running, it's getting very dark over here ;)

Any particular reason for all the hills or are you just trying a bit of everything.

Killiney Hill, one of my favourite places in the whole world. There are some really peaceful sections just away from the trails where you can sit in the sun and look at the stunning beauty below, the colours of the sea, the sky and the view of Howth on one side and Bray Head on the other #stunning.

Killiney Hill, one of my favourite places in the whole world. There are some really peaceful sections just away from the trails where you can sit in the sun and look at the stunning beauty below, the colours of the sea, the sky and the view of Howth on one side and Bray Head on the other #stunning.

Couldn't agree more, here's a random picture of the south-facing view, in fact, I ran on that beach as part of this run, and if you look really, really, really closely you can even see my house. :)

38176599.jpg

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    Any particular reason for all the hills or are you just trying a bit of everything.

No particular reason! ;) Just my favorite routes all have plenty of elevation in them, and I haven't even been back to Carrickgollogan since CNM17.

Did you already do a marathon this morning? :D

nop98 wrote: »
    No particular reason! ;) Just my favorite routes all have plenty of elevation in them, and I haven't even been back to Carrickgollogan since CNM17.

Did you already do a marathon this morning? :D

Well I'm glad to see you on the hills, I think you run very well on hills and they're a lot more fun aren't they?

ha ha I knocked one out on Saturday so took it handy this morning ;)

Some random runnings to report.

Mon May 29 sweet nada

Tue May 30 5M @ 9:43 min/mi
    Running with three colleagues - with a little incident. One of our group took a hard fall just a few 100m in. Bruises on her hands, arm, and shoulder but she motored on regardless. We took it very easy and I ran back and forward between the various mini-groups.

Wed May 31 <3M @ 8:19 min/mi
    On return home from a good day in work, I had some nice dinner and even allowed myself a glass of red. As my family were all occupied elsewhere and the sun was shining, some mileage beckoned so I set off to the local park. All good, in theory, but my stomach was eager to let me know that next time, I should change the order in which I do things. Run first, booze later. :o

Thu Jun 1 5M @ 8:47 min/mi
    Easy solo mileage, deserted by my usual running buddies.

Fri Jun 2 >6M @ 8:56 min/mi
    More easy solo mileage, up the hill towards Kilternan / Stepaside and trundling back down at the other end. Loved it.

Sat Jun 3 Tymon Parkrun (22m51s, 7:21 min/mi)
    Nop jr had no GA match this morning, so we continued our tour of local parkruns. We have ambitions to do as many different parkruns as we can over the next few years. So this morning, we rocked up at Tymon Park. Pretty low-key affair (exactly as it should be) on a glorious day. The route is two laps, and I thought from my 20 seconds recce it would all be flat.. However, I was mistaken as the first part of the loop is deceptively hard uphill (and in the wind), followed by a long slope back to the start on which you could make up for lost time. We had a nice run, my young fella was struggling a bit (he asked about 10 times in the last 600m if we were there yet), but he got a boost when one of the marshals (a kid himself) shouted at him "you're the first kid!". Just under 23m was about right for the effort we put in.

Afterwards, as we were catching our breath, chickey2 called over and introduced herself - I am well impressed that she figured out who I was :) so we had a nice chat and after that, we were on our way.

Sun Jun 4 8M @ 9:27 min/mi
    Back into my beloved hills near my house - although the run (especially the uphill part) was a bit of a struggle, it felt I never got out of second gear. Glorious downhill trails as always, although I had some odd stomach discomfort (no boozing this time, so no idea why) which made me have to slow down a good bit.

Thus completes a week of rather aimless, but enjoyable running :)

*undusts log*

Week of June 5 - 11
    26M in 4 runs (including a 10M "LSR", longest run since Connemara). It also included a parkrun in the company of the indefatigable AgyR and a visit to Glendalough support the amazing Neady as she blasted her way through the Wicklow Mountains. Yet another inspiring performance.

Week of June 12 - 18
    More random runnings: 28M in 5 runs. Amid the easy junk miles, I added the Griffeen parkrun to my list. My young fella had an away match against Lucan and the timing and location were absolutely perfect: he was playing right next to the start/finish area of the local parkrun and started at 10am. So I dropped him to his coaches and queued up at the back of the pack. It was a fabulous morning and quite warm.

After a slow first kilometer I got bored and started to pick up the pace, and kept picking off runners towards the very end. I overtook a runner in the M60+ category just before the finish, I can only hope to be still clocking it up at reasonable pace. It all resulted in a very decent 21m50s (7:01 min/mi) so I was well pleased with that.

Week of June 19 - 25
    On a whim, I had signed up for the Dunshaughlin 10k of last Saturday, so two shorter easy runs during the week only. I have ran this race 2 years ago, just before the start of the DCM'15 journey, and it's a superfast course and a star-studded field.

This year, I was hoping the remnants of the CNM17 training would deliver a small PB - which stood at 45:24 on a much tougher course in Dun Laoghaire, last summer. The plan was to aim for 45 minutes, or even 4:30 min/km splits, and hopefully pick it up towards the finishline (sorry, I am doing kilometer splits for a 10k!).

My kids and their grandfather (who lives in the town) dropped me to the start where I did some strides and said hello to a few known faces. Without much fuzz, the race kicked off and it all starts on a gorgeous, slightly downhill, wide stretch of road, before turning back into town. After about a kilometer, my personal cheering party were waiting and I gave them a little wave. First km clocked in at 4:12, a little fast but appropriate given the downhill. I quickly settled into a group of runners with Portmarnock singlets. AgyR was out supporting and I finally broke my 3-in-a-row missing her in the crowd at previous races.

The next couple of kms flew by (4:17, 4:19, 4:22, 4:22). I was working hard (harder than I recall from 2015) but I knew I was building a reasonable buffer and I felt just about comfortable.

The 5km split was 21:35 (or thereabouts), which would almost be a non-Jingle Bells 5km PB (I managed a parkrun slightly faster a few weeks ago). Just before the 6km mark, the course takes a right turn past a water-station, a sharp drop, another right turn, and a sharp incline. Km's 6 and 7 were 4:14 and 4:21, but the tough part of the race had arrived and I did some mental-math to confirm that a handful of 4:30s would do for a nice PB. The 8th km is tough as there's a long drag up and I was really starting to struggle. The same runners were still more or less around me and sometimes they pulled away, but on other stretches I was stronger. At the 8km mark, the watch beeped for 4:32.

I was wavering a little at this point, thinking I had done enough for a nice PB and I could start easing off. However, I managed to pull myself together just in time, thinking I hadn't pushed myself so hard to just canter it in, and the mental kick up the a*e really worked (9th km 4:13). My kids said they'd be at the left-side of the road, maybe 500m out, so I made sure I was over on that side. They were on the other side of the road, I did hear them shouting, but didn't have the energy to spot them (they blamed their granddad). I also saw AgyR again at this spot who turns out to have a *fine* encouraging voice :P. The final km clocked in at 4:22 as I collapse over the finishline, with a pumped fist out of excitement and also relief that the end was finally there. :eek:

My family quickly collected me and we're off back to the in-laws for dinner, it was only later that evening that I checked the official results: 43:32 (PB :)), almost 2 minutes off my previous time. That'll do just fine!

indefatigable, I had to google that :D thanks!!

Well done on your pb! I know you've been feeling a bit meh since Connemara so hopefully this will put you back on track for Charleville training.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

What a great time, congrats!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great going Nop... PB woo hoo!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done Nop. You fairly well blasted your old pb out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great result Nop, well done on PB, great racing.

• Advertisement

WOW .... Wow .... that's unreal. Delighted for you Nop, whatever you're doing, keep doing it :) I'm well chuffed for you. Great racing and able to dig deep to finish strong and leave it out there, that's great racing :)

Advertisement