Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

A 2 minute pb on a 10K is nuts, really super run there N.

You're in good shape so, what's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Congratulations! A really fast time, that's what you get from really consistent training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great running Nop and congrats on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Deadly stuff N, another great PB!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Flying Dutchman moniker sure is apt. Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Same as mine actually 🀔 who would have thought that the DOM Novices mentor and his anointed successor would have the same 10k PB?

DCM. Damn autocorrect and the fact that I have to do this on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Thank you all for your kind words! Real life has the habit of getting in the way, hence the late acknowledgement... But it's really appreciated!
    indefatigable, I had to google that :D thanks!!

Well done on your pb! I know you've been feeling a bit meh since Connemara so hopefully this will put you back on track for Charleville training.

Bit "meh" is right but it's hard to stay "meh" when you see all these amazing runs and races ran around you. Thanks for the shouts again. Please don't bring the megaphone to Charleville! :D
    What a great time, congrats!!:D
    Thank you C!
    annapr wrote: »
    Great going Nop... PB woo hoo!:)
    PB and only a cheap can of Canadian beer for PBeer duty, but it tasted fine ;)
    denis b wrote: »
    Well done Nop. You fairly well blasted your old pb out of the water.
    Thank you Denis, I have to say I was a little surpised :)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Great result Nop, well done on PB, great racing.
    Many thanks GK!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    WOW .... Wow .... that's unreal. Delighted for you Nop, whatever you're doing, keep doing it :) I'm well chuffed for you. Great racing and able to dig deep to finish strong and leave it out there, that's great racing :)
    Thank you Neady - you're too kind! Yes, this certainly went better than the one other race I aimed for this year. :o
    diego_b wrote: »
    A 2 minute pb on a 10K is nuts, really super run there N.

You're in good shape so, what's next?
    Thanks Diego - next up is Charleville - I guess I might see you there, and will be clinging to your coat-tails! :)
    Congratulations! A really fast time, that's what you get from really consistent training.
    Thank you M! I can actually improve a little in the consistency department, but I have been lucky enough to clock up a good few miles this year, and it pays.
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Great running Nop and congrats on the PB!
    Thank you!
    Singer wrote: »
    Deadly stuff N, another great PB!
    Thanks B :)
    The Flying Dutchman moniker sure is apt. Congrats.
    You win the price for most original praise! :) Thanks!
    Same as mine actually �� who would have thought that the DOM Novices mentor and his anointed successor would have the same 10k PB?
    Ha! That's funny. Unfortunately, my predecessor (your grandmother !?) is WAAYY ahead of us.... so the trend doesn't continue! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

^^^grandmother^^^ :eek: it was nice knowing you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Zinger there if ever there was one!

Indeed will see you in Charleville N, hope to be able be needing to line up close to the 1'40 pacers but we'll see on that score.

• Advertisement

^^^grandmother^^^ :eek: it was nice knowing you :D

Ha ha. It wasn't me who came up with it, from the 2016 Novices thread:
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    ... I am having a bit of a 'proud mammy moment' here *sniffle*....so you novices are my grandkids?! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Granny's here... *creak* *grumble* *groan* and ok, *dribble* (these are real, btw am wrecked) That is an amazing PB and can I say it is not a million miles away from my own. So there.

Must be something in that mentor blood, sweat and tears. Can we call Osoultra Great Granny??!! :D:D

Tue Jun 27: 5M easy @ 8:28 min/mi
    A solo run, and not a very pleasant one at that. Humid and hot and the 10k race clearly still in the legs. This is my regular loop and it includes a long-ish uphill slog along the N11, and in all my dozens of times trundling up this stretch, I never had such a strong desire to walk, until today. Pff. Just about managed to avoid it. :eek:

Thu Jun 29: 5M easy @ 9:09 min/mi
    Some easy running with some colleagues.

Fri Jun 30: 4.3M trails @ 8:53 min/mi
    Loved this run. :cool: I found myself working from home, and laced up as I walked my kids to school. Having dropped them off, I ran halfway up Carrickgollogan and bombed down the Rathmichael trails back home. I pretend to be Jim Walmsley on the downhills (see here) and manage it for, oh, well 5 seconds or so. :D

Sat Jul 1: Bushy Parkrun ~22:30
    Myself and the young lad are continuing our tour of local parkruns, and this time it was the Bushy Dublin parkrun, as its called. We arrived in Rathfarnham early enough and were wandering around a little aimlessly looking for the entrance of the park. Some other parkrunners took pity on us and showed us the way.

The run itself is a long stretch along the Dodder river, followed by two loops in Bushy Park, and then back the same stretch. We started slowly enough and started to pick up runners once in the park. There was a large water-logged section of the trail and the young lad had a lot of fun bulldozering through it. The run was hard! Lots of twists and turns and steep little inclines and out-and-backs. When we finally were back on the stretch along the Dodder, I had no idea how we were doing timewise, as my Garmin had refused duty. We pushed as hard as we could and the young lad eventually finished 10th with me a second behind in 11th. He was delighted with himself as he now holds the JM10 record for the course. Really nice morning, and a lovely bunch of volunteers. I can recommend the parkrun, but it's not a PB course! #LoveParkrun

Sun Jul 2: 8M easy @ 8:59 min/mi
    First, my two kids went for the junior parkrun (both recorded PBs, they are amazing) and I ran with my daughter. After that, I went out by myself for about 75 minutes. I had to change my route as my favourite Lehaunstown route was blocked off due to construction works. Instead, I went up Carrickgollogan again and came down Quarry Road, with its >10% descent rate for about a mile. Ouch ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Catching up - nice 10k, N. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Just checking in on your log now Nop . Amazing effort in the 10k . Sounds like you really pushed it towards the end and the time reflected a well earned pb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Catching up too - nice 10k PB - congrats!!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Catching up - nice 10k, N. Congrats.
    pgarr wrote: »
    Just checking in on your log now Nop . Amazing effort in the 10k . Sounds like you really pushed it towards the end and the time reflected a well earned pb!
    Catching up too - nice 10k PB - congrats!!

Thank you all very kindly!

This week, the mileage counter is 0. I am a snottering, sneezing, feverish mess. No PBs this week :rolleyes: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great stuff on the 10km Nop :) and congrats to jnr too :)

Time flies and this log somehow doesn't seem to update itself. :rolleyes:

Running has been a little stop-and-go since the heights of Dunshaughlin, not helped by being sick for almost a week. But with 10 (?) weeks to go to Charleville, it's time to get things back on track which includes weekly updates to my trusted audience (all 3 of you!).

June 26 - July 2: ~28M
    Couple of lunchtime 5-milers and some trail mileage one morning early before work.

At the weekend, my young fella and I rocked up to Bushy Park to do the parkrun. The start is very well hidden, we almost couldn't find it :) We set-off with the aim for Matthew to crush the JM10 age-cat record and did just that :)

On Sunday, we ran the junior parkrun (PB for my daughter!) and I added some miles in the local hills.

July 3 - July 9: ~10M :o
    Not a good week. What a snottery mess.

No miles at all during the week.

On Saturday, Matthew and I ran Shanganagh parkrun. I had insisted he'd take it easy but obviously, he ran mercilessly hard and his not-quite recovered old man had to let him go on the final lap. He ran sub-22 (only just off his PB), and considering we had a shoe-lace-tie-emergency-stop, he could have done even better (also if his auld fella would have properly paced him). Oh well. A sign of things to come.

On Sunday, Jenna and I returned to the junior parkrun, which didn't go well but we had fun. Later, I added some miles in the park.

July 10 - July 16: ~25M
    Somewhat better this week. Three lunch-time runs, it's on Strava so it must have happened, but I am struggling to remember any of it.

On Saturday, Matthew and I continued our parkrun tourism with the inaugural Fairview parkrun. Great day for a boys-trip, we took the DART and had so much fun. Met with all the Novices 2016 crew (aquinn, AGYR, BG, FBOT, Murph) and other boardsies - great to see so many known faces. The run itself was disappointing - there was a great crowd and super atmosphere, but M had a bad run and was struggling with the course. WW came bombing by about halfway, roaring some abuse - good craic. Matthew later told me this was his least favourite parkrun. Harsh critic, having just set the JM10 record (but that'll get broken soon enough, me thinks)! We finished a shade under 24m.

On Sunday, I ran North along the Shanaganagh Cliffs towards Killiney Hill, I had discovered a new entrance and wanted to run the trails up towards the top. Over 300m of vert and stunning views, what's not to like.

July 17 - July 23: 16M so far
    This week, I find myself working from home until 11am while my kids are in a tennis camp. So I have had the opportunity to clock up some miles on three mornings. The first run was in the local park, fabulous smell of freshly cut grass, and abundant morning-sun a happy camper maketh.

The other two runs saw me hauling a*s up Carrickgollogan Hill (once the long way, once the short and brutally steep Quarry Road - just running the whole way is a victory), so I can enjoy bombing back down over the trails. I found a path just off the Rathmichael Wood trail which has been promoted to my favourite stretch of trail. I am so lucky that this is within running distance of my shower.

Tomorrow some volunteering duty and Sunday hopefully a decent long run. That's all, folks!

July 22: 13M LSR @ 9:07 min/mi.
    A spot of volunteering at the local parkrun in Shanganagh. The daughter and I were handing out the finisher tokens (she bored of it rather quickly) while her mum came within a few seconds of her PB.

As always, a twang of envy seeing all the runners streaming by, not in the least yaboya doing some parkrun tourism and cantering around to a seemingly effortless sub-20. Nice to see you, P - well done on your run!

Inspired, I laced up for the afternoon and returned to my trusted loop I used a lot during CNM training. I wanted to cover the HM distance at a reasonably relaxed pace and it turned out to be 2h on the nose. Bizarrely, I struggled around mile 4/5 and felt distinctly better at mile 13. Weird how it works!

Sat July 23: 4M easy
    Some recovery stuff on the grassy back-fields of the local park. It is so, so pleasant in the nice weather. Thus concludes my first week with reasonable mileage since CNM17 - and I am feeling in pretty decent shape.

Now, I have a cunning plan. Seeing as the next target race (Charleville) is a flat, low-lying course, I am going to get used to these specific conditions. I know just the place, actually! Next week's miles will be on the flat outskirts of Almelo, NL. Actually, kilometers :D

• Advertisement

Oh. My. 

I have signed up for an ultra. 8-)

nop98 wrote: »
    Oh. My. 

:D:D of course you did, I spotted something on Strava earlier and wondered what it was! It'll be epic... I'm sure!

nop98 wrote: »
    Oh. My. 

Surely not this one ? :pac:

Surely not this one ? :pac:

Doesn't look like it J - I've just seen which one it is, OMG that really IS EPIC!!!!

I'm not on Strava! Come on, spill the beans :D

AgyR could use "Hercule Poirot" if she ever decides to re-reg again :)
    It's the Orcas Island 50k (in Washington State) in Feb 2018 - entered the lottery with a couple of colleagues and got picked out of the hat! A few stars will have to align before we're actually toeing the startline - not in the least actually getting there :ermm:. 
    Inspired by this video:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

That looks amazing. The training should be fun too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Looks great! However, that's 50 US km. With the exchange rate that's just over 42km in our money :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nice one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Course looks lovely with so many trails, and you have the perfect training ground in the Wicklow mountains. (a bit!) envious (except for that giant climb).

Did you ever talk to a physio about the cramps and what you could do as a prevention measure?

Advertisement