Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

chickey2 wrote: »
    Wow, that looks amazing! Best of luck. I'm really looking forward to that report!

Thanks - but I need to get it done first before I can write it! :)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    "WTFment" is my new favourite word :D

There have been a lot of WTFment in my house since I signed up for this race, BG. A lot!
    Plenty of muck there! :pac:.

But looks brilliant. Hope the last few weeks of training go well.

Thanks HSR - it's all about staying in one piece. Yesterday evening, my daughter suddenly jumped on my back and I felt a twinge, and all I could think about was the race!
    diego_b wrote: »
    That looks pretty class N, wishing you the very best in training over the coming weeks and looking forward to that race report. Those climbs, wow!

Thanks D - Neady has instructed me to walk all of them. I am thinking she's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

It does look fantastic!! You'll have a blast, no doubt about it. Take every single piece of advice offered by Neady!! You can always run the uphill sections in the last part of the race if you're feeling energetic at that point :D. The best of luck with last part of your training.

Another week gone. Where does the time go!

Today I was back to my trusted Bray Head loop. I've done it a good few times; It ticks a lot of boxes.

First to and through Bray, boring but you get warmed up nicely, then climbing steady for a few km towards Windgates on the main road to Greystones. A long enough climb to really get into the zone. From Windgates it's a steep downhill to Greystones, the challenge is to run comfortably fast without blowing up the quads. Today was full into the wind. Then towards the mess that is Greystones harbor and back up North onto the Cliff Path, with another long climb ahead. This is slightly more technical, today not helped by the amount of muddy puddles, and especially the traffic, it felt like the M50 out there with all the walkers. Once you descend back into Bray there's usually a moment of "I'm wrecked", and then the boring Bray stretch is always mentally challenging. Today I used it to dial the effort back and notice the active recovery, which went great. 25k/15M, at much harder effort than I plan for the Orcas event.

Gear-check: I was using my work-horse Hoka One One Challenger ATR3 shoes, which are performing really well on the trails. I brought my Salomon backpack with two bottles of Tailwind which was sufficient, even for this effort. Funny stuff, Tailwind, I don't seem to need much else (Neady had the same observation). I had a gel with me which I didn't even use. On Orcas, I plan to bring two Tailwinds and two sachets for more, and 4 gels. The aid-stations are stacked with food so I won't starve.

Clothes-wise, if the weather is similar, I'll use the same gear (shorts, compression socks, two layers, hat and gloves - with a buff and raincoat carried in the backpack), but I'll decide closer to the time.

I still need to get myself another running watch. My trusted Forerunner 10 simply won't last the 7+ hours on Orcas.

Question for the lads here. What is your go-to running underwear?

Relive - Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Rundawear, it does work!
    Code Befriend10 should save you a few quid there.

Thank you Diego - will check out tomorrow!

The "Bray - Did you Know?" FB group just today posted this picture of the same street I was running today, but >130 years ago!

https://www.facebook.com/braydidyouknow/photos/a.234502209913479.61595.234210346609332/1805274009502950/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement

nop98 wrote: »
    The "Bray - Did you Know?" FB group just today posted this picture of the same street I was running today, but >130 years ago!

https://www.facebook.com/braydidyouknow/photos/a.234502209913479.61595.234210346609332/1805274009502950/?type=3&theater

That's very cool, 1885!!! Progress eh.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Wow sounds fab Nop best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wow Nop, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put this much preparation and research into a race. You've everything covered. Looking at that video and that mud, walking and sliding may be your only option on some of those ascents :)

Interesting to see that nobody is using poles, that mud would be so much easier to overcome if they had poles - but maybe they're not allowed. Scottish rules don't permit them so this could be something similar.

It's almost taper time eeekkkkkkkkkkk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Getting close now Nop. Watched those links and feel like I have run the race already!. Plenty of narrow trails and variability of snow/ice cover will keep it interesting. Superb course with endless variety and that first leg is certainly worth sitting back on.

I do wear baselayer underwear (Patagonia) for long mountain days but have never needed to wear them running. Will check out Dave's link but I would not be daunted to try that race with lined shorts.

Following your Strava and have no doubt that you are in fine form for the Orca 50. Will be following with interest for what looks like a Lifetime Run. Do enjoy.

Thanks for the kind words folks :) The runderwear has been ordered (better do a coupla practice runs with it, ha-ha) and I got a very kind offer for the loan of a watch. Many thanks for the tips and encouragement! I am fairly sure the prep could have been better (a training marathon on Howth would have been just the ticket!) but c'est la vie, and I feel okay. My (very fit) colleague who's running it too was trying to get me to state a goal time today (his is 6h30), but I didn't bite.

Two more links to videos are worth sharing: 2013 50k and 2014 50k.

16 days, and counting. Insert an "eek" emoji here: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Yahoo, 15 days.

I'm so helpful.

All the very best. So exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If it’s warm enough for shorts I reckon it’s warm enough for regular lined shorts ie ‘built in’ underwear. Never use anything else myself regardless of temperature (although I did bring the wrong shorts to Charleville and realised after three or four miles that it was my only unlined pair). Oops, but Commando PB!

OK, TMI. Keep up the good work.

aquinn wrote: »
    Yahoo, 15 days.

I'm so helpful.

All the very best. So exciting.

I am glad someone else is counting down. 14 days from now we'll be on the ferry to the island.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    If it’s warm enough for shorts I reckon it’s warm enough for regular lined shorts ie ‘built in’ underwear. Never use anything else myself regardless of temperature (although I did bring the wrong shorts to Charleville and realised after three or four miles that it was my only unlined pair). Oops, but Commando PB!

OK, TMI. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, that's indeed a lot of information! :eek: Not a great fan of the "built-in" underwear other than for shorter distances. I have a light enough "cargo-shorts" (c) Dubgal which do need some runderwear, which arrived today and will get a try-out tomorrow - thanks again for the reco, diego.

Oh, and well done on a commando PB. Sounds painful, but I am sure the PBeer tasted extra good!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Been watching quite a few Ginger Runner videos and I randomly just watched the one on Orcas Island. Wow. Fair play nop for taking this on, it looks amazing and your training seems to have gone really well.
    Best of luck. I'm looking forward to the race report already!

It's a week from race day! What began as a glimpse into another world and a long-shot lottery entry, is about to get very real indeed! :eek:

Amid real-life, the prep for the event continues at a steady pace. I'm getting a lot of off-line assistance from some folks on this forum here, which is just awesome!

Weather
    I've been obsessively checking the weather forecast. It seems to have rained the entire month of January and initially, it looked like it would be torrential on race day, too. However, in recent days, the forecast has been improving steadily, and now we might even have a reasonably dry, but cold (3-4 degrees) day. Also, the days before see a let-up in the rain, which might hopefully improve the conditions on the track. :cool:

Gear
    I still have not decided on the final race-day outfit and I probably won't until closer to the day, depending on the weather. Y'all might be delighted to hear that a few try-out runs with the runderwear (my 8yo daughter calls them "runderpants") went well so they will definitely feature. Again thanks to Diego for the advice. My trusted Hoka trail runners have also gotten a few more batterings but are holding up really well.

I got an incredibly kind offer from AgyR for the use of a new watch with longer battery life - and she even dropped it over. As I was procrastinating over what to do here, it was very welcome. I ran a few runs with it and it's great (it just continues to talk mile pace, which I still need to fix). Many thanks again!

This race is the first time I have the option to use a drop-bag (there are three options, at the first, third, and fourth aid-stations. It seems the first option is too soon (just 5M in), and the third is too late (just 5M to go), so I am focusing on the 3rd aid-station, and am planning for a full change of gear there (maybe not the aforementioned runderpants). Will I use it, I don't know, but it feels good to be prepared. I'll also carry dry socks, gloves, hat, buff with me in my bag-pack.

Mileage
    Oh yeah, one needs to run some miles, too, to prepare. Other than many (for me at least) junk-miles, I haven't really done anything special. Perusing my Strava log, I have managed 60+km (40M) weeks consistently since early November, with at least one HM-sized run every week. And I usually include some decent climbs in the long run (being lucky with some decent options on my doorstep, Killiney Hill, Bray Head, Carrickgologan). Again, nothing special - I wouldn't really have time or energy for anything more. But the consistency is something to be pleased about.

Coach Neady prescribed, during the many laps around Phoenix Park a few weeks ago, to keep up the frequency of runs (5-6 per week) in the taper phase and only to reduce the long run mileage. Obviously I am not one to argue :) so this week I have continued to chip away, and will run a final hilly 10M tomorrow. I won't have a lot of time (with travel and work) next week, which will enforce the final taper. :pac:

I'm incredibly lucky not to have any injury problems, some niggles and tiredness, sure - but nothing to worry about.

Logistics
    Initially, I had planned to fly to Seattle on Sunday (tomorrow), work for a week in HQ, do the event on Saturday and fly home the day after. I had to change plans for a variety of reasons, and am now flying out on Wednesday instead, and back the Wednesday after.

Once in Seattle, there'll be two days of work, followed by the ferry (from a small town called Anacortes, WA) to Orcas on Friday afternoon. Hopefully we'll have some time to look around on the island on Friday evening, race on Saturday and back to Seattle on Saturday evening. Race-report-writing on Sunday, followed by three more days of work, and then the long flight home.

Finally...
    I recall telling the DCM 2016 Novices: making it to the start-line is harder than subsequently making it to the finish-line. It's kinda hard to believe that in this case, but at least the first step is (almost) done. It looks like I'll be making it to the starting line at least. All that remains are 50 kilometers of muddy trails. Oh. And 2.5 kilometers of vert. :eek:

And mums will be mums: I was Skyping my folks back home and my mum asked if I'd let her know once I'll be finished. When I pointed out that that would be 1-2am her time (yes, I'm slow, but there's also a 9 hour time difference) she thought about that, and then asked to be sent a text anyway. Nwah. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all kind words of encouragement and advice, both on here and offline. It is much, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

latest?cb=20170323000108&path-prefix=protagonist

Best of luck Captain Runderpants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck! That powerline section looks seriously tough!
    Make sure a keep well hydrated on your flight as it must be a long one. Might be no harm wearing compression socks on the flight too so you arrive in good shape.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Best of luck Captain Runderpants!

Thanks - I guess :D
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck! That powerline section looks seriously tough!
    Make sure a keep well hydrated on your flight as it must be a long one. Might be no harm wearing compression socks on the flight too so you arrive in good shape.

Yep - good tips, thanks!

Here are some pictures of the Orcas trails this week:

27332323_1530448040341732_8950274917943201481_n.jpg?oh=f97c899126a19a4f0e582913b2311e8b&oe=5ADB8182

27331711_1530448050341731_8071963712738873433_n.jpg?oh=b1db41e2145ee8179e2c4a9b874bf7c8&oe=5AECBB85

26994031_1530448087008394_5441020575247089001_n.jpg?oh=e29f1a200320240e354d2a79b669ad50&oe=5AE12479

27073401_1530448090341727_8206383404355446583_n.jpg?oh=2492f7f5c6af26b912e0ae1a8c3d8637&oe=5AE19C73

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Runderpants....hahaha and BG won the internet this week with her post there, love it!

Best of luck N, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it all. A real proper challenge that but I've not doubt you'll get the job done and with a tale or two to tell.

• Advertisement

Settings, system, units and change to kilometers - if you must :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Best of luck with the travelling, the epic race report (only one day allotted?), oh and the race itself :)

Mostly I hope you get to enjoy the race of a lifetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Have a great time N. It looks unreal. Hope all the preparation pays off, and I'm not just talking about your race report :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Those photos look wonderful, I am jealous. Hope the weather stays wintry for you, and put those training miles to good use next weekend. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mind yourself, good luck and enjoy.

Blackcurrant dialorite for hydration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You realise you're going to have to write a poem or song about this now?

Twas the night before Ultramas... :pac:

Go nop!

diego_b wrote: »
    Runderpants....hahaha and BG won the internet this week with her post there, love it!

Best of luck N, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it all. A real proper challenge that but I've not doubt you'll get the job done and with a tale or two to tell.

I wish I was as confident as you, Diego - but I won't be able to blame my underwear! :)(now let's stop talking about my underwear)
    Settings, system, units and change to kilometers - if you must :p

Yes, I got that bit, but there's paces, elevation units (feet :confused: do people really think feet when they can just use meters?!), auto-lap settings etc to change. But still. I love the watch.
    Singer wrote: »
    Best of luck with the travelling, the epic race report (only one day allotted?), oh and the race itself :)

Mostly I hope you get to enjoy the race of a lifetime!

Thanks Singer!
    Have a great time N. It looks unreal. Hope all the preparation pays off, and I'm not just talking about your race report :pac:

Ha ha - thanks WW. It does look (and feel) quite unreal at this stage!
    Those photos look wonderful, I am jealous. Hope the weather stays wintry for you, and put those training miles to good use next weekend. Enjoy it!

Many thanks HSR! I knew you'd appreciate the snaps. Unfortunately the weather forecasts have now completely changed, it's going to be wet and rainy (at this stage, I am no longer checking forecasts!).

Oh, I found a race report called Junk Miles in Paradise! I wish I had come up with that title.
    aquinn wrote: »
    Mind yourself, good luck and enjoy.

Blackcurrant dialorite for hydration.

Thanks AQ - I have recently converted to Tailwind!
    You realise you're going to have to write a poem or song about this now?

Twas the night before Ultramas... :pac:

Go nop!

Cheers TBO! It's better for the rest of humanity if I don't do that. But thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Super pics to whet the appetite for the adventure ahead Nop. Sure am looking forward to this report. Hope you race well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Race well, remember that if you're feeling low, you're just passing through it, trust your training and enjoy the scenery :) Looking forward to hearing everything on the other side :)

• Advertisement

Thank you folks. Have been in the PNW for the last 24 hours. Most anxious moment was waiting for my luggage to arrive (with all my stacks of gear). As precaution I had worn my Hokas on the flight, but I would have been royally screwed had my luggage not arrived. But it did. :)
    I ran a short few shake out miles after arriving (excellent jet-lag cure) and now prepping for the final leg of the journey, the trip North to Orcas. We're leaving at noon (local time) tomorrow.
    Finally, it's chilly and looks like it will rain a lot on Orcas on Saturday. I don't mind that so much, I will just be disappointed if it'll be overcast, as the view from the top of Constitution are meant to be amazing and I'd hate to miss it. 
    #TryingToContainExcitement #BrickingIt

Advertisement