Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

It's TAPER TIME Nop :):):):)

Sorry, I can't find your LSR report in the novices thread because it's playing silly bugger with me and keeps rejigging the posts on the pages. No doubt it went well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Neady83 wrote: »
    It's TAPER TIME Nop :):):):)

Sorry, I can't find your LSR report in the novices thread because it's playing silly bugger with me and keeps rejigging the posts on the pages. No doubt it went well :)

I know - and the man-flu is around the corner, I can just feel it. Lemsip has been purchased in bulk :eek::mad:

Yes, tapering, I am trying not to think about it too much. By the way, I still have plenty of miles left in the program, e.g. 14M this weekend? Since when was that considered a "walk in the park"? :)

LSR went great, but I have been dreadful in keeping this log updated. Here's the post copied from the Novices thread. By the way, well done in Athlone!
    18M LSR done this morning - almost 19M actually.

30.1km @ 6:10 min/km [18.7M @ 9:55 min/mi]

Last long long run from the boards program - I really wanted to make it count. Real life (and rugby) had to take priority on Saturday, so the alarm went off at 6:30am this morning. Herself grunted something to make her opinion clear ("I am a marathon runner!", I thought) and started prepping. When I was about to leave, my daughter woke up so I installed her with her breakfast, and then I watched a couple Paw Patrol episodes with her and set off. A few minutes into the run I realized I had forgotten my black golf visor (which is The Business in keeping sweat of my face) so I uttered several phrases usually not associated with a Sunday, ran back home, and was off for real.

Note to self: don't watch Paw Patrol before a long solo run, unless you want the theme tune to circle around in your head relentlessly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F48hWTbflXg for the uninitiated).

Right, running. I had felt very good all week during plenty of easy miles but had clumsy half-slipped in the shower on Saturday and I felt my inner-thigh muscle all day yesterday. Paranoia or real niggle? eek.png

First uphill over the pedestrian bridge over the M50 to the infamous Loretto Rd to hide my stash (water + gel). Then back towards the N11 and Cabinteely Park (which was fab in the morning sun). I did the parkrun lap, half expecting Firedance on volunteering duty. The over to Lehaunstown, nearly clattered by an empty ghost Luas, over the M50 again, and towards Barnaslingan to do a loop around Carrickgologan Hill. It's hilly (oh-my-sweet-f***ing-lord-when-is-this-drag-going-to-end-kinda steep) but it's fabulous, especially on a nice morning like this. I did all my prep for the Connemara Half here and I noticed the hills were easier now than then - good sign. rolleyes.png

Back to my stashs about half a marathon after I left it, refilled carry-bottle and took gel, and down to the local park for some more miles. Easy running as there were loads of football and GA games going on as distraction. Loads of runners too. I pushed the pace on the last miles deliberately a little, as it would by my last chance to practice running these miles.

Back up the hill to collect the empty stash, and well ready to return home. The legs had behaved well even tho I did feel the thigh muscle every now and again. I think it'll be fine. I was both quite starving and cold, so I made a sandwich and ate it in the shower. smile.png

Mile splits:
    1 9:56
    2 9:57
    3 9:27
    4 10:00
    5 10:12 (uphill)
    6 10:11
    7 11:07 (uphiller)
    8 10:06
    9 11:36 (uphillst) eek.png
    10 10:11
    11 9:40
    12 8:40 (downhillst) smile.png
    13 9:28
    14 9:33
    15 9:43
    16 9:32
    17 9:31
    18 9:43
    .7 9:42

Happy enough with that effort. Did someone mention an afternoon of rugby and beer? biggrin.png

Paw Patrol, it's very catchy :D It's amazing how those songs stick in your head. During the 24hr torture orienteering event we did in Wicklow I had Avril Lavignes Skater Boy on replay in my head, I must have heard it on the radio earlier that day. I cannot tell you how much I despise that song now :D

A great LSR on your tod, not a bother to you. Hope that niggle is just that :)

14 miles for me this weekend too. I called my brother last night to tell him that I'd be home this weekend and I've 'only' 14 miles to do so he better rest himself because he's coming with me :) 14 miles is longer than a half, what have we become??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

So funny, I have 14 tomorrow and 16 at the weekend... Seems like nothing... Until I do it of course.

Now damn you Neady, I'm going to have Sk8r boy in my head all night!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Nice long run today nop, that sort of elevation will make the big day that bit easier.
    Don't underestimate the importance of comfort on the day no matter how you look.
    Imo the MAIN thing now is looking after that niggle.
    Great going so far.

• Advertisement

Ed Mc wrote: »
    Nice long run today nop, that sort of elevation will make the big day that bit easier.
    Don't underestimate the importance of comfort on the day no matter how you look.
    Imo the MAIN thing now is looking after that niggle.
    Great going so far.

Thank you Ed! Yeah, the outfit was comfortable, but the daughter thought it was "embarrassing daddy-uh!!".

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Straight over to your log for an overdue catch-up! :)

nop98 wrote: »
    "embarrassing daddy-uh!!".

Hate to tell you Nop, but you will hear that a lot more over the coming years... :)

annapr wrote: »
    Hate to tell you Nop, but you will hear that a lot more over the coming years... :)

I'm sure :) She's some character. Yesterday she announced that her friend X "is no longer her BFF", because X always insists on playing with her! I nearly choked on my coffee, how does she even know the phrase. :D

Can't believe it's almost 2 weeks since I've updated this log. Well, nothing really to see here, plenty of easy easy miles and a few (hilly) LSRs. Well into the tapering now for The Very Big Day.

All midweeks run done during lunchtime at work. My preferred new route is to get into Cabinteely Park, do the parkrun lap, and back to work. It's both a nice distance, and has a bit of elevation to keep things honest.

If anything, most easy runs are creeping towards PMP (which would be 9 min/mi). I am sure this is very, very wrong but it feels all very easy and comfortable

Two good LSRs, back into the Dublin Mountains that I can see from my house. Well, Dublin Hills. I ran all my Connemara prep here. It's very nice scenery, it's solitary and the views are totes amazing: Overlooking Dublin Bay from Bray Head to Killiney Hill on the sea-side of Carrickgologan, and Dun Laoghaire Golf Club and The Scalp from the other side.

Mon Sep 28: 4M easy: 6.9km @ 6:03 min/km [4.2M @ 9:10 min/mi]

Tue Sep 29: ~6M easy: 9.2km @ 5:40 min/km [5.7M @ 9:07 min/mi]

Thu Oct 1: 5+M @ PMP: 9.3km @ 5:27 min/km [5.7M @ 8:46 min/mi]

Fri Oct 2: 5M easy: 8.0km @ 5:46 min/km [4.9M @ 9:16 min/mi]

Sun Oct 4: 18M LSR: 30.1km @ 6:10 min/km [18.7M @ 9:55 min/mi]
    https://www.strava.com/activities/405958585
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97256498

Tue Oct 6: 5M easy: 7.7km @ 5:56 min/km [4.7M @ 9:32 min/mi]

Wed Oct 7: 5+M easy: 9.2km @ 5:44 min/km [5.7M @ 9:14 min/mi]

Thu Oct 8: 5+M @ PMP: 9.2km @ 5:36 min/km [5.7M @ 9:01 min/mi]

Sat Oct 10: 14M LSR: 23.0km @ 5:58 min/km [14.3M @ 9:37 min/mi]
    https://www.strava.com/activities/409880776
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97328013&postcount=6054

The mind wonders to the last details. Visor, water bottle, gels, shoes, and now compression things for the calves: all good. T-shirt, not so good. Ed is right, it has to be comfortable, but after being called a traffic-light by my 6yo style advisor, I am re-thinking the big day outfit. :) I am glad that those seem to be my only worries, I do have some small niggles but I'm sure the reduced mileage in the next couple of weeks will sort that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

taper time! yay :) its all getting very exciting now, if you could wear some sort of luminous top with flashing lights that would be very helpful so we can spot you easily on the day :D:D I might even have a bag of strawberries at the top of heartbreak hill :p

in all seriousness, you've done some fantastic training nop and you will do really well on the day, I've no doubt of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    taper time! yay :) its all getting very exciting now, if you could wear some sort of luminous top with flashing lights that would be very helpful so we can spot you easily on the day :D:D I might even have a bag of strawberries at the top of heartbreak hill :p

in all seriousness, you've done some fantastic training nop and you will do really well on the day, I've no doubt of that.

+1, don't want to be missing you a second time :D. I'll be out on the course somewhere and that ensemble sounds like it'll stand out in the crowd.

You deserve to have a brilliant run on the 26th after all your hard work and compliance*

*most of the time ;)

Thank you FD - yummmm Strawberries!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1, don't want to be missing you a second time :D. I'll be out on the course somewhere and that ensemble sounds like it'll stand out in the crowd.

You deserve to have a brilliant run on the 26th after all your hard work and compliance*

*most of the time ;)

Thank you BG :)

Once you both know where you'll be on the day, let me know, and I'll look out for you too. I'll probably be using my CNM yellow t-shirt, but it's the red shoes that stand out (and the black cap) (and the compression calf yokes) (ok, I'll stop now).

Thank you FD - yummmm Strawberries!

Thank you BG :)

Once you both know where you'll be on the day, let me know, and I'll look out for you too. I'll probably be using my CNM yellow t-shirt, but it's the red shoes that stand out (and the black cap) (and the compression calf yokes) (ok, I'll stop now).

And you'll stand out coz you look Dutch! ;)

I'll probably be using my CNM yellow t-shirt, but it's the red shoes that stand out (and the black cap) (and the compression calf yokes) (ok, I'll stop now).

Hmmmm, I think I'm with your daughter on this one....:D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I think I'm with your daughter on this one....:D

Well, she based that on the total fashion faux-pas of red shoes with a bright orange top.

Hides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hey N, any chance you could get some green shorts, then you can really finish off the traffic light look?!

And sorry for coming in here bossing you but cut out all hills from now, they could aggravate your calf, stay on the flat, remember, DCM is mostly flat. No harm with feeling comfortable at 9m/mi pace but make sure these runs are below 5 miles. Any longer and slow the pace down. Over and out :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hey N, any chance you could get some green shorts, then you can really finish off the traffic light look?!

And sorry for coming in here bossing you but cut out all hills from now, they could aggravate your calf, stay on the flat, remember, DCM is mostly flat. No harm with feeling comfortable at 9m/mi pace but make sure these runs are below 5 miles. Any longer and slow the pace down. Over and out :)

Ha - my stylists have been dispatched to see if they can improve on the look! :)

You're quite welcome to boss me about when it comes to running, DG :) Hills have been banked and shall be cut out from now. I think they're great for training purposes and HTFU but I agree that from now on, it's time to play it safe. The calves have been behaving, it's just this weird inner-thigh muscle that's at me, albeit ever so slightly. 15 days to go! :eek::cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ah, poor nop, star pupil for a long time ... was bound to happen eventually though ;).

Hope you'll enjoy the taper (and be careful of the calf)!

Ah, poor nop, star pupil for a long time ...

Hey Hillside, long time no see - hope all well with the recovery. Not sure about being the star pupil here! :rolleyes::P

Ah be kind to yourself N, you're the star pupil of this log :pac: :D

• Advertisement

Hey Hillside, long time no see - hope all well with the recovery. Not sure about being the star pupil here! :rolleyes::P

Recovery going well this week. Friday's "session", ie 6x(3:00 walk, 2:00 run) was the best of the sessions so far, with not the slightest discomfort from the metatarsal. Also held up well to a contemporary-dance-class plus a 3-hour hike yesterday.

Will try not to get ahead of myself though :rolleyes: don't want to jinx it.

Week 17, ticking along nicely. Trying not to get too carried away with the taper and the upcoming event. Trying, not necessarily succeeding. "If I may divert your attention from boards.ie for a minute", I quote an exasperated colleague. :)

Tue, Wed, and Fri: the same 4M loop (6.8-7.0km) in work with a couple of colleagues. Average pace 5:28, 5:29, 5:34 min/km [8:48, 8:50, 8:58 min/mi], too fast for easy pace, but pleasant enough runs. I spent most of it followng the faster lads, just trying to run easy and controlled. One of my colleagues is running DCM too (for the umpteenth time) at roughly the same pace as me. So he suggested he wants to me to teach him how to play bridge (while running). Not sure that's the best way to preserve energy in the first half :)

Sat: 8M LSR: 13.6km @ 5:56 min/km [8.4M @ 9:33 min/mi]. Ran my usual loop wearing all the DCM gear, lovely afternoon for it.

Niggles: still two areas of concern. :confused: A few weeks ago, I clumsily half-slipped in the shower and my groin muscle is still not right. It doesn't bother me (much) during the run but I feel it for sure. Also, the left Achilles said hello in the latter part of the short LSR. I was gobsmacked as that has never bothered me. It did go away but it was definitely noticable. The calves are much better, I think that's due to the compression yokes for the lower legs. But I am wondering if the Achilles has less love for them?

Two friends in place for in-flight entertainment on the day itself, armed with instructions for snacks etc. Just need to work out how and where to meet the family in the final stages and afterwards. Getting excited now! :)

Get out the bubble wrap onesy and chill, everythings gonna be just cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I generally hook up with family at the gate of Museum of National History, which is just across the road from where the runners exit the finish area on Merrion Square. Or just send them straight to the pub and meet them there! :pac:

Get out the bubble wrap onesy and chill, everythings gonna be just cool.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    I generally hook up with family at the gate of Museum of National History, which is just across the road from where the runners exit the finish area on Merrion Square. Or just send them straight to the pub and meet them there! :pac:

Both excellent plans (maybe not the "meet the kids in the pub" part :pac:)

Did 4 very easy miles in the local park, the amount of HM and FD tops, both this year and last year, was remarkable. I wonder if they're all training for the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

All set and excited? You're certainly ready after a super training cycle. Have a GREAT race on Monday.

oooh is it time for this now? yes N, have a fantastic race, enjoy the day, see you at mile 20.5 :) I'll expect you to whizz by with a big smile and no need for food stop at all.

aquinn wrote: »
    All set and excited? You're certainly ready after a super training cycle. Have a GREAT race on Monday.
    oooh is it time for this now? yes N, have a fantastic race, enjoy the day, see you at mile 20.5 I'll expect you to whizz by with a big smile and no need for food stop at all.

Thank you both! :) Really looking forward! I have made my list of things to get, bring, wear, etc, which is quite organized for me :) Orange t-shirt and black vizor on forehead. It'll be hard to miss me!

Tomorrow to the Expo with the young fella, then a last 2-3 miles, nice and gentle, and some strides. Then Sunday nervously checking the weather forecasts with the feet up!

I kept fretting during the week which shoes to wear, the "new" or the "old". I decided to give both pairs another spin. So I did two 4M runs, Tue and Thu, with two colleagues who are also running DCM. They ran ahead, I just followed and didn't track the pace at all. Lovely easy running, turned out it was more or less PMP, exactly the same pace both times: 5:36 min/km. I think the legs are ready. :) I have also stopped worrying about the shoe choice, it'll be fine.

Some reflection:
    Year to date, 1,652km [1032M] tracked through Strava (so it'll be a bit more in reality). Early in the cycle, I did Pilates and circuits, but I ditched it to make time for more running. Most kms, 1,130km [706M], covered since early June when I committed to DCM.

PBs on 5k (Bere Island parkrun), 10k (Dunshaughlin), and 10M (Frank Duffy). Didn't race a HM as it didn't quite fit in the schedule. I did run the DHCM course at >> PMP pace, which is probably the most confidence-inspiring run, 1h52, felt totally easy and had LOADs left in the tank.

Am I ready? NOT A CLUE! :D:D But bring it on!!

Am I ready? NOT A CLUE! :D:D But bring it on!!

YES YOU ARE!!! you've had a great year. Good luck and hope to see you Monday!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    YES YOU ARE!!! you've had a great year. Good luck and hope to see you Monday!

Thank you - good luck to you, and yes, see you afterwards! :)

Have a super run tomorrow Nop! You've done the training, time to enjoy it now.

Heel veel succes

Dank je wel BG :)

Have a great day tomorrow! Hope you are getting some rest & carbs today.

N, you are sooo ready. You've ticked all the boxes and you are going to have a fantastic day tomorrow. Enjoy every minute! :)

Nop, go out and rock it tomorrow, your training has been relentless and you've ticked every box, you deserve a brilliant and enjoyable race :) Hopefully I'll see you around the 4h pacers :)

• Advertisement

Have a great day tomorrow! Hope you are getting some rest & carbs today.

Thank you hillside! Very easy couple of miles earlier, and pumpkin cutting with the kids for Halloween in Powerscourt later - but all nice and chilled. Bring it on!
    N, you are sooo ready. You've ticked all the boxes and you are going to have a fantastic day tomorrow. Enjoy every minute! :)

Thank you DG! - It's hard to not be ready and fully prepared with the awesome mentor I have!
    Nop, go out and rock it tomorrow, your training has been relentless and you've ticked every box, you deserve a brilliant and enjoyable race :) Hopefully I'll see you around the 4h pacers :)

Thanks Neady! The same right back at you - your training is an example to us all. I'll be wearing orange - and will be a bit behind the 4h balloon at the start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best if luck tomorrow! Hope to meet you at some stage. I'll try and find Firedance to help with the strawberries.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best if luck tomorrow! Hope to meet you at some stage. I'll try and find Firedance to help with the strawberries.

Thank you! :)

Well done Nop, I hope you enjoyed that. Horrible weather but a fantastic time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Really delighted for you Nop! Great debut! Well done:)

• Advertisement

Well done nop, a great debut, congratulations.

CONGRATULATIONS marathon runner :):) seriously well done.

If you felt anything like me, it was god dam bloody hard out there and you should be so proud of that medal :)

p.s. sorry I didn't make McGs after. My super kind brothers came from Clare at silly o clock this morning to cheer me on and drive me home and I was wet, soggy and smelly and only wanted to curl up in the heat of the car.

+1 to all the above :) 'we' knew you would knock it out of the park! Fantastic result, sit back & enjoy

Congrats on the lovely consistent run, and hope you are having a day off?

How are the hamstrings?

aquinn wrote: »
    Well done Nop, I hope you enjoyed that. Horrible weather but a fantastic time.

Thank you A, I absolutely enjoyed it. I don't think the weather affected me too much, we were nicely sheltered in the 4h group for most of it. Sounds like you had a rollercoaster of a day too, glued to the tracker and keeping all updated! Nice to see you afterwards.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Really delighted for you Nop! Great debut! Well done:)

Thank you Oso, nice to hear from you.
    Well done nop, a great debut, congratulations.

Thank you Ed - here's hoping there'll be many more. Let us know when you're in this part of the world and we'll go running with DG.
    CONGRATULATIONS marathon runner :):) seriously well done.

If you felt anything like me, it was god dam bloody hard out there and you should be so proud of that medal :)

p.s. sorry I didn't make McGs after. My super kind brothers came from Clare at silly o clock this morning to cheer me on and drive me home and I was wet, soggy and smelly and only wanted to curl up in the heat of the car.

Thanks Neady - what an amazing run you had. I can't believe I didn't see you during as we must have been a few seconds apart for the first 3h30 or so. Did you wear an orange top? I checked out all orange t-shirts but don't think I saw you! Well done again, you're some athlete!
    +1 to all the above :) 'we' knew you would knock it out of the park! Fantastic result, sit back & enjoy

Thanks you A, the support from everyone is just fantastic and a little overwhelming. I really enjoyed it, pity I never saw you in Milltown. Next time you do Cabinteely, let me know!
    Congrats on the lovely consistent run, and hope you are having a day off?

How are the hamstrings?

Hey HSR, thanks so much, it was a great run indeed, I loved all of it (apart from a few lonely minutes writhing on Clonskeagh Road..). The hammies are fine, in fact, the legs aren't too bad apart from the quads.

I actually took the entire week off :D It's mid-term and the kids are off school. I'll bring them to Holland tomorrow to visit a new cousin! The thought of folding myself into a Ryanair plane is something that holds me with fear... :)

A super report and so honest. Well done. My heart went out to you reading it but a super performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Loved your race report. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done nop. Great race report and great running.

Report, what report? oh, found it on the novices thread...

sounds like you were having a great race, Nop, until that damn cramp!! and you play bridge too.... :confused:

Well done again, good to see you afterwards and I do owe you a drink next time!!

A bit cheeky but taking it on myself to link nop's RR here, it deserves a read.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97519322&postcount=7626

It's a really honest account and I think your approach was absolutely spot on starting with your first comfortable 10k flying past.

It was really unfortunate that your hamstrings cramped, the marathon can be a beast like that. Looking forward to seeing what the next 6 months bring (after of course resting up!), that 10k time is going to crumble for starters :)

Well done on an excellent debut!

• Advertisement
Advertisement