Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nop, what an epic race, my heart was in my mouth reading your report.

I'm so sorry about your hamstrings, it was one of the uncontrollables. I must have been right on your tail at some point, I was keeping an eye out for you but I'd have been a snotty sweaty miserable mess and not good company anyway. You finished in some style and with a massive smile on your face I'm sure. Wow, epic training, disciplined running and a fantastic debut marathon. You're awesome :)

p.s. those dang red baloons, I've a feeling they'll be haunting both of us for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

aquinn wrote: »
    A super report and so honest. Well done. My heart went out to you reading it but a super performance.

Thank you A - I remembered your report and recommendations to just soak it up during the last few km's and that's what I did, despite the aching legs. Nice to see you afterwards, such good vibes and energy!
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Loved your race report. Well done.

Thank you tailgunner - next year for you?
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done nop. Great race report and great running.

Right back at you! Great time for you. :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Report, what report? oh, found it on the novices thread...

sounds like you were having a great race, Nop, until that damn cramp!! and you play bridge too.... :confused:

Well done again, good to see you afterwards and I do owe you a drink next time!!

Yeah, meant to link to it :) Ah - yeah, what can you do. Loved it and learned so much from it, there's always another year / race.

Bridge indeed (not much in the last year on account on marathon running) but there are a few bridge goals to be ticked off next. Do you play too?
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    A bit cheeky but taking it on myself to link nop's RR here, it deserves a read.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97519322&postcount=7626

It's a really honest account and I think your approach was absolutely spot on starting with your first comfortable 10k flying past.

It was really unfortunate that your hamstrings cramped, the marathon can be a beast like that. Looking forward to seeing what the next 6 months bring (after of course resting up!), that 10k time is going to crumble for starters :)

Well done on an excellent debut!

Thank you DG - just in case it's not 100% obvious: I would not have done it without you!

I am sure we'll see at each other (at the start!) of the local parkrun in the future, and I'm looking forward to that!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Nop, what an epic race, my heart was in my mouth reading your report.

I'm so sorry about your hamstrings, it was one of the uncontrollables. I must have been right on your tail at some point, I was keeping an eye out for you but I'd have been a snotty sweaty miserable mess and not good company anyway. You finished in some style and with a massive smile on your face I'm sure. Wow, epic training, disciplined running and a fantastic debut marathon. You're awesome :)

p.s. those dang red baloons, I've a feeling they'll be haunting both of us for a while :D

Thanks Neady, such kind words ... Yeah, I was in a similar state, we would have been quite the sight :) I did enjoy the last stretch a little more than you, I think, but I feel a twinge of jealousy at you having HTFU'd it out. As I said, I was closer than I thought, but that's just inexperience... Next year!

---

Right, I am off to the Netherlands for a couple of days, it will probably help wean myself off boards and racepix and all the other marathon-related things (but I am bringing my medal to show them! :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Just brilliant Nop, congratulations on a super debut. What a great report! Have to say red balloons have always freaked me out slightly since reading Stephen King's IT :eek:

je bent een marathonloper

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Just brilliant Nop, congratulations on a super debut. What a great report! Have to say red balloons have always freaked me out slightly since reading Stephen King's IT :eek:

je bent een marathonloper

Thank you BG, your Dutch is improving by the minute! It was nice seeing you in PP. I must admit I saw you in a flash and wasn't 100% sure. Roared out your name (thankfully not your b.ie name!) without even thinking about it! :pac:

Just back from a 30 minute stroll in a glorious afternoon in Shanganagh Park. Very very easy 3M. There are a couple of minor sore spots so I'll continue the week with a few easy runs and plenty of rest. My old Mizuno's have been thanked for their service and unceremoniously dumped in the bin. :D

Jingle Bells 5k in December and maybe some more parkruns until Christmas, and hopefully the Goal mile on Xmas day if it's on again. :cool:

Not much happening here running wise, time to get back on the horse.

Sunday Nov 1: 5.2km @ 5:59 min/km [3.2M @ 9:38 min/mi]. Absolutely glorious day in the local park, really nice running, proudly wearing the new DCM2015 top (obviously). Much as I enjoyed it, there were plenty of reminders to take it very easy during the recovery phase.

Monday: nada

Tuesday Nov 3: 6.8km @ 6:02 min/km [4.2M @ 9:43 min/mi]. Lunchtime run with two of my slower colleagues. Nice and slow and I loved loved loved it.

One of the lads has plenty of ambition, maybe not the most discipline (or just too much else on his mind) and certainly not a runner's physique. He's hell-bent on a sub-2 hour HM so that's becoming my priority for 2016. He's had 4 go's at HM's, and the closest he got was 2h08. I hear myself repeating the same old mantra: "run taller", "relax", "stop yapping". For this weekend, he's under strict instructions to run many slow miles.

Wednesday: nada. Don't want to go out too often just yet.

Thursday: nada. Planned to go cruising with the lads at lunchtime, spent all day in A&E with the young fella instead.

Friday Nov 6: ~7.8km @ ?:?? [~5M @ ?:??]. The local pub organized a treadmill marathon for charity and I got roped in. The barman is a nice fella who always inquires after my running (the odd time I am seen there, I hasten to add) so when he asked me for this, I couldn't really say no. Ran up from home, ran a very uncomfortable >30 minutes in a stuffy and warm pub, right next to folks having their dinners. I was actually willing them to go for a fag, as that meant the outside door would open for a few seconds for some fresh air. The lad next to me was impressed with my CNM15 t-shirt which was good. Very glad to be done and jogged home. About 5M in total.

Tomorrow, a spot of volunteering in the park, and Sunday, I hope to do a nice, slow MLR. I'll bring my phone to take some pictures (inspired by HSR's nice snaps), if the weather permits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff nop, glad to hear your young lad is okay!

Long overdue update. It's amazing how much a race planned (like CNM or DCM this year) sharpens the focus. Right now, I go out once every two days or so, and I enjoy it a lot but have quite an ambivalent attitude towards it. In hindsight, I really liked the shape of the DCM plan as it just focused the mind so well. I'll stick to some easy stuff until Christmas but then it's either committing to CNM again, or the half Wicklow Ultra.

Saturday: volunteered at Shanganagh parkrun with the kids.

Sunday Nov 8: First run over 10k since DCM, 10.6km @ 5:51 [6.6M @ 9:25]. I went out in the pouring rain wearing raincoat and hat. Lapped around in Shanganagh for a few km's, then out over the motorway towards Rathmichael. I loved the run, despite the abject weather. One of the main differences from pre-DCM that I no longer need several km's to like being out running. I just start much slower, small steps, etc, and it's enjoyable from the start. I would have liked to stay out (much) longer, but I had a hard stop at 10am.

The pictures of/from Carrickgologan will have to wait a little longer, as I could hardly see it through the rain.

Monday: nada

Tuesday Nov 10: Lunchtime run to Cabinteely Park with my DCM running buddy: 9.2km @ 5:35 [5.7 @ 8:59]. Lovely day, freakishly warm actually. Cab Park always provides a good workout.

Wednesday: nada

Thursday Nov 12: Short lunchtime loop: 6.5km @ 5:29 [4.0 @ 8:50].

Friday: nada

Plans for the weekend are the local parkrun (hopefully), no real target - but the aim is to get a sense for running a 5k race again. Anything around 23 minutes will do.

If weather and real life permits, I'm looking forward to a ~10M MLR on Sunday, hopefully in the hills. I also have plenty of boards homework to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mind yourself and going out for 10 miles. While I'm at it is 23 mins 5 km not still a bit fast?

aquinn wrote: »
    Mind yourself and going out for 10 miles. While I'm at it is 23 mins 5 km not still a bit fast?

I would have done 10M last Sunday if I had the time, are you suggesting to still hold off? Hmm, maybe 9M so. :)

Ehm, I don't really know about proper 5k pace. I have only had 1 or 2 attempts at a 5k "in anger", and they were parkruns 22:2x and 22:3x. They were both not easy (Bere Island, which is hilly, and Marlay, which was very crowded). But I take your point, anything around 24 minutes it is. :cool:

• Advertisement

Saturday, Nov 14: ~9km including Shanganagh Parkrun

Most enjoyable parkrun this morning. My intention was to return to the local parkrun in Shanganagh Park and "give it a good go". From the exchange with aquinn above, I'm not entirely sure what "a good go" over 5k means these days, so I was hoping to come in around 23 minutes. The last time I ran a 5k was Bere Island parkrun-tourism, still one of my favourite runs of all time, in 22:27.

It was miserable out, so I hung around my home as long as I could, eventually jogging up towards the park (only one km from my door) and doing the first 1k loop as warm-up. I said hello to some folks and spotted Dubgal, who told me not to go at full-tilt. I love the relaxed atmosphere at the start. The race-director calls everybody over, shouts, "I'll count to 3!" and we're off. :) Actually, said race director then eventually joins the race, overtakes me about half a mile in, and goes on to win the parkrun by some distance.

Despite the miserable weather, there was about 60+ folks. I had pushed myself up towards the front and found myself almost on DG's shoulder. That didn't seem to be right so I held off a little. About 8-10 folks overtook me in the first several 100 metres, and I was somewhat embarrassed being the guy who had started off too far up. But I did earmark a few of those overtaking me, thinking I'll see them again soon. Coming towards the 1k marker, it all settles. There's a large strung-out enough group just in front of me, including DG as I think the only (and thus leading) lady, and one guy on my shoulder, and a bit of distance to the next group further back.

The first km felt hard but controlled, I had actually eased off a little, so I was pleasantly surprised to see 4:17 as split. Next is a 2km loop that'll be repeated twice. I plan to consolidate this nice start and hopefully kick home in the second lap (km's 4 and 5). The field draws out somewhat further and I overtake one or two guys in the second km, which beeps in at 4:27. I latch on to two lads in the third km and hope to stick with them for a while, but one of them falters at the tiny but noticable little climb about halfway through the third km. A long, slow bend follows and I bide my time to run the perfect line following the other lad. He also seems to slow down as we come through the finish for the second time, so I have no choice but to overtake him. Third km in 4:28. Effort is hard, but I feel fine.

A very welcome side-effect of the marathon training is being able to keep the effort honest, and I had planned to give it loads at the final lap. I have 2 lads in view, a bit ahead and I am determined to get them both. I also do the math, and it seems I can get a parkrun PB without too much effort so, that's a nice bonus.

At the long straight stretch towards the 4km point, I overtake the next guy. At the same time, the guy in front of me looks over his shoulder and seems to accelerate when he sees us. I guess that's why you shouldn't look over your shoulder. I give chase and catch up at the 4km mark. The watch beeps but I don't feel like looking at it, sure, what difference does it make. All I'll do from here is go as hard as I can (it was 4:26 for the fourth km). The path twists and turns a little so I stay behind the guy to keep the proper line, but once it straightens out I overtake. He really gives it loads and we run side by side for a while. Don't you just love it when you know you have more in the tank? Eventually he gives up and fades away really quick.

The little incline is there again, I hold off a little but accelerate once it evens out. The last bend to the finish is a lovely slope down and I go as hard as I can. Thankfully, no women and children present. Eventually I fall over the line, almost crash into one of the volunteers. I forget to stop the watch but regain a sense of composure, get scanned, stop watch, etc. The last km was 4:11.

DG has finished about half an hour ahead of me and asks if I got a PB. I sheepishly admit to being around 22 minutes flat, which is indeed a PB. She suggests going for a short cool down with some of her club mates. I put on a brave face, swallow the lactic acid back down and run for (what turns out) a very enjoyable last loop before saying my goodbyes and continuing home for another bit of cool-down.

I am very pleasantly surprised when the 'official' time is 21:42, this is more than 40 seconds faster than my previous 5km, and, very importantly exactly 1 second faster than one of the other dads that I know from the local school. Schoolyard bragging rights restored.

Pretty deligthed with the effort. I had things under control from the start, I realized I was going a little too fast so held back a bit. Consolidated, picked off my targets, and have now come acustomed to having a nice finishing kick when some folks around seem to falter quicker. Dare I say it - I think there might be one more gear out there.

Shanganagh parkrun: 21:42 PB, 16th overall, 15th male, 4th in my age bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Wow, brilliant nop! And a superbly written report. Congrats on the pb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Congrats on the PB sounds like the marathon strength has helped. Keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done Nop! Sounds like you were in control the whole way. You signed up for jingle bells? Another PB there if you are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB nop.

Well done, Nop! Super time on a mucky day. Definitely sounds like there's more in the tank for Jingle Bells. Don't forget to say hi when you overtake me. :)

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Wow, brilliant nop! And a superbly written report. Congrats on the pb :)

Thank you! Glad I didn't have to run all the way to and from Cabinteely this time :)
    Congrats on the PB sounds like the marathon strength has helped. Keep it up

Thanks Myles!
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB nop.

Thanks Jake!
    annapr wrote: »
    Well done Nop! Sounds like you were in control the whole way. You signed up for jingle bells? Another PB there if you are!

Yes, Jingle Bells. Followed by the National Master Pairs Bridge championships!

There's a difference. The former is a painful 22 minutes. The latter is painful for the rest of the weekend.
    Well done, Nop! Super time on a mucky day. Definitely sounds like there's more in the tank for Jingle Bells. Don't forget to say hi when you overtake me. :)

Thanks BG - now, now, that I doubt! Out of interest, what is your JB PB? So I know how far off you I have to line up?

Ah excellent stuff Nop, excellent report and even better run!! Congrats on that pb!

nop98 wrote: »
    Thanks BG - now, now, that I doubt! Out of interest, what is your JB PB? So I know how far off you I have to line up?

I'd say line up just in front of me to provide a nice wind block :D. I did 21:05 in JB last year when my 'regular' 5K would have been a good 30-40 seconds slower. If the conditions are good it's a super fast course. Would love to dip under 21:00 this year but not sure if the speed is there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done nop, enjoyed that report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice racing, N - well done, great time.

• Advertisement

I'd say line up just in front of me to provide a nice wind block :D. I did 21:05 in JB last year when my 'regular' 5K would have been a good 30-40 seconds slower. If the conditions are good it's a super fast course. Would love to dip under 21:00 this year but not sure if the speed is there at the moment.

Ah - I think I shall attach myself to your coat tails :)
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Well done nop, enjoyed that report.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice racing, N - well done, great time.

Thank you Laura and Murph! Are you running JB too?

Sunday Nov 15: 6+M easy, 10.2km @ 5:58 [6.3M @ 9:38]

Busy Sunday with real life, meant there was no difficulty ensuring that aquinn would not be too annoyed with me (having already ignored her advice for the parkrun, I wanted to go for about 10M but only really had an hour to spare).

It was darkening already when I got out, combined with the slippery conditions meant I had little option in terms of routes. My safe, but boring option is to head towards the N11 and run along northbound towards Cabinteely and then turn around. I recall the days when that was right at my limit, distance-wise. Run was pretty uneventful today - although I could feel some lingering after effects of yesterday's run.

Weekly distance is back to about 20 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

That was a great report N and an even greater run. You sounded very in control, well done and of course on the PB. A little early perhaps but it's done and I suspect there was a little left in the tank.

Have a chat/pm with the Grad mentor about a little sharpening work to do between now and Jingle Bells. You're looking at close to 21 mins, even 20.5x on a good day on that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Briliant parkrun, nop. And off extra miles but little speed training ... must keep that in mind when I'm tempted to push the easy runs!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    That was a great report N and an even greater run. You sounded very in control, well done and of course on the PB. A little early perhaps but it's done and I suspect there was a little left in the tank.

Have a chat/pm with the Grad mentor about a little sharpening work to do between now and Jingle Bells. You're looking at close to 21 mins, even 20.5x on a good day on that course.

Thanks DG. I will reach out, looks like a lot of novices grads are gunning for a fast 5k. Sub-21! I wish I had your confidence! I think 21:30 is the target.
    Briliant parkrun, nop. And off extra miles but little speed training ... must keep that in mind when I'm tempted to push the easy runs!

Thanks hillside, yes, lots of easy miles rule. First of all, it's enjoyable since it's, well, easy :D (albeit a little boring but that never bothered me). Second of all, you can run lots of times a week since it doesn't really take much out of you. And I guess I'm a good example that even at my limited level and capabilities you reap the benefits!

One thing tho, is to not fret the time/pace of the easy runs too much. In the beginning I was trying too hard to stick to a certain pace. I abandoned that for a "run by feel" strategy. Some easy runs were at or just over PMP, some were much slower. Probably all very wrong (DG look away!) but it worked for me and it also made it easy to run easy, if you get me!

Good luck with your training, delighted to hear you're mostly injury-free, do you have a target race in mind?

Thanks hillside, yes, lots of easy miles rule. First of all, it's enjoyable since it's, well, easy :D (albeit a little boring but that never bothered me). Second of all, you can run lots of times a week since it doesn't really take much out of you. And I guess I'm a good example that even at my limited level and capabilities you reap the benefits!

I did last night's run at 11:16 average pace (!) by trying the "breathe in through the nose" suggestion. Was a pain in the neck to be honest but was definitely easy pace.

I only have one definite goal race for 2016, and anyone who had to plough through pages of recces will know which one it is :rolleyes:. But I will be looking for a HM and maybe even a 10k for the spring. And I still have my eye on DCM but the real aim is to build up to 30 miles/week by the end of February and keep it there. Will be looking forward to a parkrun in January once I think I can bring it in under 25mins!

I only have one definite goal race for 2016, and anyone who had to plough through pages of recces will know which one it is :rolleyes:. But I will be looking for a HM and maybe even a 10k for the spring.

Ah - cool, looking forward to following your progress to "that" race! As for a spring HM, well, there's always CNM2016 :) A bit of hill training never hurts!

Ah - cool, looking forward to following your progress to "that" race! As for a spring HM, well, there's always CNM2016 :) A bit of hill training never hurts!

I had thought of that one in fact ..... think it sells out very early each year, no? Would want to see how the build-up progresses for a while more ...

Sunday Nov 22: 13.9km @ 5:45 min/km [8.6M @ 9:15 min/mi]

Lovely crisp and cold morning, so I went up the local hills to enjoy the solitude and the stunning views. I brought my phone to take some snaps.

I went up Carrickgollogan Hill, the hard way, using Quarry Road. I was hoping to get a nice view of Carrickgollogan's East side, it's quite impressive but my phone's camera is just not good enough. I could have taken many pictures of the stunning houses, but instead I tried to capture the sharp end of the incline:

369307.jpg

It may not look impressive, but it certainly stings much harder than Heartbreak Hill and the Hell of the West (and I speak from experience!).

Along the south slope of the Hill, I disturbed one of the locals having breakfast:

369309.jpg

You can see Great Sugarloaf Mountain in the top left of the picture. I continued the climb up and after crossing to Barnaslingan, this is the view of the West side Carrickgollogan, looking back. You can clearly see the Ballychorus leadmine.

369308.jpg

I continued the loop around Carrickgologan. The North end is the least attractive as it's the "main" road to Kilternan, and you have to watch the traffic and your footing. I usually run this part first "to get it over with" but today I went clockwise around the leadmine. Back down towards Shanganagh for a few more km's.

I had to speed up in the second part as I had gone up very slowly and stopped a several times to take pictures. It was most enjoyable but a little hard (and niggly) to keep the faster km's going.

Stunning pics! It may just be time to arrange other Boards trail run outing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Nice route Nop. I know it reasonably well and have tracked over the hills there more than once.

+1 for a trail run outing.

Stunning pics! It may just be time to arrange other Boards trail run outing. :D
    denis b wrote: »
    Nice route Nop. I know it reasonably well and have tracked over the hills there more than once.

+1 for a trail run outing.

Trail Run Outing ++ :) If the weather is like last weekend, it'll be awesome. It can always be combined with a Shanganagh Parkrun warmup.

Just to clarify, it's (small) backroads that I run these tracks on, not trails. There's not much difference tho :) and I am sure there are plenty of nice trails too. In fact, I shall recce that and report back.

First week of the Myles program, and already I've had to work around RL and other constraints.

Tuesday Nov 24: 4M easy: 6.8km @ 5:54 min/km [4.2M @ 9:29]
    Per plan - usual short lunchtime loop with my personal coaching project.

Wednesday Nov 25: ~6M tempo: 9.2km @ 5:24 min/km [5.7M @ 8:41]
    I had planned to do the Myles Wednesday session, but my DCM running buddy wanted to join so, we decided to head down to Cabinteely Park instead. We flew down as we had the winds in our backs. I pushed the pace on the downhill sections in the Park, and we scaled back to more manageable on the uphills. I think in the end we more or less captured the essence of the planned run.

Thursday: nada. Training course in work, blah, blah, bore.

Friday Nov 27: treadmill interval session: 5.3km @ 5:06 [3.2M @ 8:12]
    5 x 400m intervals @ 13.5, 13.5, 14, 15, 16 km/h + 200m @ 17 km/h

Impromptu treadmill session. I was going to go running on the usual roads, but the weather was so bad that my running date stood me up. I headed to the dreaded treadmill. As usual, bored out of my tree within minutes, so I decided to do 400m faster sessions followed by 400m easy pace. Actually enjoyed the session more than usual - despite being the usual sweaty mess. Pushed the pace beyond what I would normally do during these sessions, but 17km/h (3:30 km/min, just 200m) really is about as fast I can go.

Late to the party on your Connemarathon race report, great stuff that Nop.
    I knew you had ran it so had a look back through your log to find it the coach in my club suggested earlier today that a few in the club travel up to do it this year. For now I am free that weekend and I was looking for a half to do in April so I might be running there this year. I think the half for now but never say never!

diego_b wrote: »
    Late to the party on your Connemarathon race report, great stuff that Nop.
    I knew you had ran it so had a look back through your log to find it the coach in my club suggested earlier today that a few in the club travel up to do it this year. For now I am free that weekend and I was looking for a half to do in April so I might be running there this year. I think the half for now but never say never!

Hey D - that would be splendid! :)

Fabulous day last year, absolutely loved it. The course isn't as hard as it's made out to be (but I always seem to say that)...

I haven't decided if I'll go back in 2016 - I'd love to, but it depends a little on my Dutch mates, if they're coming again or maybe another classic like Dingle. Given my current fitness-levels (or lack thereof) I'd be surprised if I even last the Half. :o

Hey D - that would be splendid! :)

Fabulous day last year, absolutely loved it. The course isn't as hard as it's made out to be (but I always seem to say that)...

I haven't decided if I'll go back in 2016 - I'd love to, but it depends a little on my Dutch mates, if they're coming again or maybe another classic like Dingle. Given my current fitness-levels (or lack thereof) I'd be surprised if I even last the Half. :o

Cool I am looking forward to it, might be a group of 4 or 5 lads from my club traveling up for the weekend from Kerry for it. The coach is gauging interest at the moment and it sounds like a fine race from what I have heard.
    Indeed often the talk about hills seems to be worse than the actual hills themselves!
    Dingle is a great one if you're planning on a half in September, get back on those runners!!

I best start updating this log before it gets deleted due to lack of usage!

Sat (Dec 12): Shanganagh Parkrun (and some w/u and c/d km's) in 22m08. Probably the worst weather I've ran in so far. Pleased enough with the effort, albeit a bit meeeh at the lack of finishing kick. Turns out that one of the lads I was chasing is a parent of one of the other students in my sons class. Grrrr. I thought I had sorted out the schoolyard bragging rights.

Wed (Dec 16): Only run of the working week (which annoys me to no end). Very busy in work and now the intensity of DCM training has faded (and the weather is awful), it's easy to say, "mweeh" and not go running at lunchtime. But I got out with my DCM buddy and we belted down towards Cabinteely Park for our trusted loop, 5.7M @ 8:30 min/mi. Strava proudly announces that I am "trending faster" on this run (no sh*t, I have been running that loop a lot as "easy miles" filler during DCM so that was consistently >1 min/mi slower. Anyway. Good to be out and working up a sweat.

Sat (Dec 19): A spot of volunteering in Cabinteely, 84 runners turned out which is splendid. Nice to see MartaStew and meno, last time I saw them was when their 4h balloons inched away from me during DCM <insert violin playing here!>.

Sun (Dec 20): Finally out for a decent run, ~10M up Killiney Hill towards Dalkey and back. Proudly wearing my DCM top! Apart from the last km or 2, this felt all very controlled @ 9:17 min/mi despite the serious bite of some of these slopes have. For the first time since DCM, I have this proper "I ran today" feeling which is kinda awesome. :D

Planning wise, I signed up for the Raheny 5M (hope to see allot of fellow Novices) and I am considering the Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon with my Dutch buddies (which would mean no Connemara :().

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Will be great to catch up at Raheny. Have entered as well so don't miss out on too many lunchtime runs N.

Sat (Dec 19): A spot of volunteering in Cabinteely, 84 runners turned out which is splendid. Nice to see MartaStew and meno, last time I saw them was when their 4h balloons inched away from me during DCM <insert violin playing here!>.

Sun (Dec 20): Finally out for a decent run, ~10M up Killiney Hill towards Dalkey and back. Proudly wearing my DCM top! Apart from the last km or 2, this felt all very controlled @ 9:17 min/mi despite the serious bite of some of these slopes have. For the first time since DCM, I have this proper "I ran today" feeling which is kinda awesome. :D

84!!! that's brilliant, good to see no's increasing there & hopefully lots of new years resolutions will see them over the 100 in 2016 :)

well done on the LR, perfect Killiney Hill weather today, can't wait to get up there over the holidays - focusing on Raheny will get you back into the running habbit very quickly, I see another smackdown in the offing there with so many graduates running it :p

• Advertisement

denis b wrote: »
    Will be great to catch up at Raheny. Have entered as well so don't miss out on too many lunchtime runs N.

I shall see what I can do, DB :) If you're looking for me in Raheny, I'll be clinging to your coattails.
    Firedance wrote: »
    84!!! that's brilliant, good to see no's increasing there & hopefully lots of new years resolutions will see them over the 100 in 2016 :)

well done on the LR, perfect Killiney Hill weather today, can't wait to get up there over the holidays - focusing on Raheny will get you back into the running habbit very quickly, I see another smackdown in the offing there with so many graduates running it :p

If you're around these parts, let me know, we can run together. I'll be in Neths 26-30 and am playing a bridge tournament on the 1st (the "hangover" trophy :D), but other than that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks again for helping out yesterday. I hope Santa brings nop junior his world map so he can learn that the capital of Albania is Tirana :P (I jest! He has seriously impressive knowledge for his age.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

I shall see what I can do, DB :) If you're looking for me in Raheny, I'll be clinging to your coattails.

If you're around these parts, let me know, we can run together. I'll be in Neths 26-30 and am playing a bridge tournament on the 1st (the "hangover" trophy :D), but other than that :)

I'm in for Raheny 5 as well so see you there, should all arrange to meet up
    nearer time:)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks again for helping out yesterday. I hope Santa brings nop junior his world map so he can learn that the capital of Albania is Tirana :P (I jest! He has seriously impressive knowledge for his age.)

He's obsessed with capitals and highest mountains etc. He'll be a great addition to any pub-quiz team in years to come :)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    I'm in for Raheny 5 as well so see you there, should all arrange to meet up nearer time:)

I'd love to see y'all! Some coffees or pints post-race sound fabulous. I don't think I have ever done a 5M race so there'll be one guaranteed PB! :)

Didn't look there was going to be much running this week at all, but suddenly a window opened up with kids being invited to an afternoon movie, just before Storm Ava hit these parts. I quickly threw the gear on and went out for a lovely 10k. It was wet and windy but pleasant. Took it very handy (about 6 min/km) until I turned for home, which was a straight 1km downhill with the gale in my back. I stretched the legs to get the heart-rate going and clocked the last km in 4:15. :o

Tomorrow will see the Goal mile in the local park, and that'll be it running wise for the year (might get a few Dutch kilometres in too). For next year, first up is Raheny, and I am also signing up for the Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon (in March). After that, who knows? :rolleyes:

Happy Christmas nop! Wicklow way half sounds like a good ole challenge & right up your street :)

• Advertisement

What a lovely half-marathon to be lining up :-)

Enjoy the Netherlands trip & hope Santa gets the appreciation he deserves tomorrow.

"Where in Holland are you from?", is a question I get asked a lot. I know my response is always going to disappoint. When I say "Almelo", I might as well have said "Timbuctu", as noone has ever heard of the place. "Near the German border", I add, "two hours East of Amsterdam". At this point, most interested parties are sorry they asked.

Whatever quirk in history made my parents decide to move here in their twenties, is not really clear, nor relevant for this narative. But move here they did, and they still live here nearly 50 years later. I grew up here and left home at 17 (after a happy enough childhood, I hasten to add). My brothers and sister have long since scattered over Netherlands (and Ireland), but I return here every so often to visit. Poor old Almelo, bankrupt and half senile, blighted by high unemployment and perpetually stuck in attempts to rejuvinate itself.

So, this is where I woke up early this morning and with my children and parents still asleep, I lace up and decide to go for a trip down memory lane. I almost wish I didn't. I run past the house in which I lived until I was 11, past my primary school, past my best friend's house (long since moved), the old neighborhood supermarket and bakery (all long gone).

Despite the memories, this piece of utterly boring Dutch suburbia is actually depressing me greatly, so I head to the edge of town. The surrounding country is Almelo's one outstanding quality, and there's a fabuluous old castle with surrounding grounds which modern times thankfully has managed to leave untouched. Here I add another couple of miles along the long way up to the castle and the canal returning home.

I speed up, as I realize I am looking forward to being home with my kids, unruly as they might be, they're more lively and make me more happy than the place I have just ran through for an hour. To quote my favourite author, Geert Mak: "Het is me vreemd te moede".

https://www.strava.com/activities/457806552

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Thank you for taking us on a trip down memory lane with you Nop :) I'm sorry Almelo is struggling so much to recovery from Europes economic troubles, it sounds like a very beautiful place, especially the canal and the castle.

Looking forward to following your progress in the new year Nop :) Hope Santa delivered some nice running gear to you for Christmas :)

Google translate doesn't really help with the quote, but I get the sentiment. What a great post Nop, paints a very poignant picture. Safe trip back and gelukkig nieuwjaar in advance :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very evocative, Nop... You can never go home...

• Advertisement
Advertisement