Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Arghus wrote: »

Hair-do! Skype chat! Epidemiologists on sowing machines, having a laugh! HA, HA, HA! Terrible tragedy: human interest! Serious guy in a suit talking about seriousness! Brian Kennedy didn't have sex in London for years! HA, HA, HA!

When that virus guy from Trinity Luke oNeill first hit our screens in March I thought he was a bit of a gob****e, he would be talking about this deadly contagious virus and it all seemed to be a bit of a laugh to him and he was just delighted to be on the telly. Last night completely confirmed that for me, I cant believe that he agreed to doing a mask making contest on a sewing machine. You would think given his position he would have a bit of seriousness about him to deliver a serious message on masks but instead its all a bit of a laugh. He fits perfectly into Claires show in that regard.

Anyway been pointed out to me that Claire looked pregnant last night and Brian Kennedy made a quip about lockdown babies which seemed to be aimed at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    When that virus guy from Trinity Luke oNeill first hit our screens in March I thought he was a bit of a gob****e, he would be talking about this deadly contagious virus and it all seemed to be a bit of a laugh to him and he was just delighted to be on the telly. Last night completely confirmed that for me, I cant believe that he agreed to doing a mask making contest on a sewing machine. You would think given his position he would have a bit of seriousness about him to deliver a serious message on masks but instead its all a bit of a laugh. He fits perfectly into Claires show in that regard.

Anyway been pointed out to me that Claire looked pregnant last night and Brian Kennedy made a quip about lockdown babies which seemed to be aimed at her.

I have a funny feeling RTE are priming St Luke for his own show, if he's not on the TV he is on the Radio every day of the week.

Getting sick of him at this stage,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Muahahaha wrote: »

I haven't been one of the Saint Luke O'Neill fan club.
    There has been a veritable canonization of the guy since the start of it all.

Some media types have been in thrall to him like a Christ-like figure, "wait for what Prof Luke O'Neill has to say", as if he had to have the final and you couldn't trust a word that had been spoken by any other professional.

I thought he came across well in the show as it happens.

I watched The Claire Byrne Show when it started to see what it was like,
    it was a shambles, too many segments, no value to any of them, all too rushed.

'How many varied non related topics can we cram into this show', seemed to be their driving motivation.

Last night's show was ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Brian missed a trick not getting the auld Covid.
    Amount of airtime he could have got out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Brian missed a trick not getting the auld Covid.
    Amount of airtime he could have got out of it.

He might not have survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This show is real Mickey Mouse. Other than Byrne being pretty, is she any real use? The programme is just bland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Stopped watching a this stage. It seems to be trying to do too much and no consistency at all. It's a far cry from Questions and Answers and Frontline. They weren't perfect but at least had some structure and sense to them. This show can't decide if it's a magazine show, a light entertainment format or current affairs where the usual suspects turn up when Matt & Ivan don't invite them.

It reminds me of Ciara Kelly on radio which had great notions at the start and now is essentially a more middle class Niall Boylan/Liveline phone in.

Niamh Horan first guest speaking from home. Seems to believe young folk should be allowed do what they like and the "vulnerable" lock themselves up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Niamh has a shoyte kitchen. Very disappointing.
    She should give up the cocktails and do up the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Niamh Horan first guest speaking from home. Seems to believe young folk should be allowed do what they like and the "vulnerable" lock themselves up. :(

Absolute bint. Everyone is a virus expert these days even dumb blondes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fair play to Niamh at least she is willing of have a differing opinion. Groupthink serves no one.

Who's going to arrange, fund and police these organised events? The guards got out if properly attending antisocial behaviour at Oliver Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epping Forest

The Oliver bond rave this, the Meath rave that. Professor Staines knows a lot about raves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Fair play to Niamh at least she is willing of have a differing opinion. Groupthink serves no one.

Lots of opinion. No knowledge though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Except in a pandemic thinking in those exact terms will increase spread and be detrimental to the containment effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,445 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's not really what she said

However the vulnerable are advised to shield themselves..

The rest of society can't stop for Johnny 4 Conditions

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's not really what she said

However the vulnerable are advised to shield themselves..

The rest of society can't stop for Johnny 4 Conditions

That's estimated by one of the professors to be a third of society, although opinions are getting thrown around like confetti at a wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's no light at the end of the tunnel with the current approach for at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epping Forest

How can Christy protect us, in this... Craaaazy world

What the heck would be the hypothetical Pan European Lockdown as proposed by Staines? The trouble with the Claire Byrne show it barely scratches the surface and leaves suggestions by guests totally unexplored.

• Advertisement

Lots of opinion. No knowledge though

Knowledge of what? I'm sure she's aware as to whom the most vulnerable demographic is hence her comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭trashcan

How can Christy protect us, in this... Craaaazy world

It's alright.

Knowledge of what? I'm sure she's aware as to whom the most vulnerable demographic is hence her comments.

I think she's probably quite ignorant of that, actually. Cones across as too glib to have thought it through.

M

I'd only favour a rise in restrictions in this country if we had mandatory testing of every person arriving in the country to provide a negative covid test in the previous 72 hours as per Cyprus, otherwise we are just repeating the cycle of failure over and over again.

The Oliver bond rave this, the Meath rave that. Professor Staines knows a lot about raves.

He's a 'raving' looney, I shouldn't feel comfortable calling a professor that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Someone please tell Chirsty it's all Euros nowadays, well only since 2002, so it's hard to get used to something after 18 years.

It's not just Covid payment paid in Euros and everything else in pounds.

I'd only favour a rise in restrictions in this country if we had mandatory testing of every person arriving in the country to provide a negative covid test in the previous 72 hours as per Cyprus, otherwise we are just repeating the cycle of failure over and over again.

Should have been done months ago. I remember returning from Namibia unwell in March I was expecting to be able to declare myself ill to an official on arrival at Dublin airport, instead all that greeted me were a few girls handing out leaflets. Then I went to phone the out of hours GP service and was asked "what do you expect us to do?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,279 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wow Colm Meaney on it :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think she's probably quite ignorant of that, actually. Cones across as too glib to have thought it through.

I disagree, I have read many of her articles and heard her speak on several different programmes. I find her articulate and intelligent. It's refreshing to see a media person stray from the all prevailing narrative.

• Advertisement
    M

At least we won't have those jaysus panto ads this year, one plus.

Advertisement