Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A TD in Cabra was a Turf Deliverer!

Very funny.

You clearly know little about Mrs. O'Carroll who was a legend in Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

bigroad wrote: »
    Did they take that poll from the Rte staff canteen.

They should have polled 1000 Irish people living and working in the US.
    The result would be the complete opposite.

washman3 wrote: »
    They should have polled 1000 Irish people living and working in the US.
    The result would be the complete opposite.

I'm not sure about completely opposite but your point about Irish voting trends in the US is broadly correct.

As for the poll as presented I think the result is unsurprising.

Most people in Ireland have a poor opinion of Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,278 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

screamer wrote: »
    He just seems to lack energy. Trump on the other hand seems to relish animosity and it animated him.
    I disagree. He has plenty of energy he just does not waste it like Trump shouting to oddball who have already voted for him and if it was teo weeks or more back when they were at his rallies are probably now sick or even dieing from Covid because Trump simply does not care about them or anyone because if he did he would have had then Social distancing and wearing masks.

Go Biden Go Kamala Harris

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. He has plenty of energy he just does not waste it like Trump shouting to oddball who have already voted for him and if it was teo weeks or more back when they were at his rallies are probably now sick or even dieing from Covid because Trump simply does not care about them or anyone because if he did he would have had then Social distancing and wearing masks.

Go Biden Go Kamala Harris

High IQ take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭golfball37

Did they really laugh at O’Carroll saying he wanted to stab a Trump supporter with a screwdriver? Just flip that on its head for a second and imagine the reaction

bigroad wrote: »
    A landslide Brendan says.

Thanks for your analysis Brendan. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Thanks for your analysis Brendan. :pac:

Yes indeed he is a real smart one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Joe Brolly is an expert in American politics now?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

touts wrote: »
    Joe Brolly is an expert in American politics now?

I thought he spoke very well. Plus, I don't remember him claiming to be an expert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭fire_man

Friend of Biden it seems.This show going downhill by the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

fire_man wrote: »
    Friend of Biden it seems.This show going downhill by the week.

Talking down Trump and then find out he's friends with the Bidens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

doc22 wrote: »
    Talking down Trump and then find out he's friends with the Bidens :pac:

Thought it was quite funny, the mother of all rants on Trump went just short of calling him the antichrist ............followed by 'and so I understand you're friends with the Biden family' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Claire should call back Brendan O' Carroll and ask him how his prediction was so wrong last week... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Cascarino is an intelligent and likeable guy but due to lack of experience and an emotional connection with these issues I think he's jumped the gun.

No connection between heading and dementia has been shown yet. Okay we know in NFL and rugby when you have concussions then you have brain injury and a definite link to dementia and CTE. In NFL you have the medical imaging, you have really damning stats. Football is very different as it's a slight thud every time you hit your head. A thousand slight thuds are not the same as one big thud.

There's an interesting effect in health and medicine that when you suggest a symptom to someone they start looking for that symptom and after a while of this they find they have it. Plenty of otherwise reasonable people will go around thinking they have this or that, memory and cognition is a really, really subjective thing. So this thing about floods of people calling him up saying they have this or that symptom is with all due respect fairly meaningless. It's like how come they weren't all doing that in the 70s or 80s and we didn't notice it? They used far heavier footballs back then. Saying "it's like cigarettes!" is an invalid argument, you could say that about any health risk you're trying to warn people about.

"but the incidence of dementia is 3 times in footballers who head the ball".... okay well that is some real data then, but that's just the starting point. You could also find statistics like people who play professional darts have 3 times the dementia rate as people who play cricket. Why is this, is it the throwing of the dart? Of course not, there are a thousand other variables at play. You're going to have to do better than that.

Furthermore there isn't really a "high likelihood" that he'll get dementia at all, I thought he had some sort of familial gene or diagnosis to back that up but he doesn't at all, just a family history. Just because his father has it only fractionally increases his risk. It's like getting cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Mannix never sounded better there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Here we go no such luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

A jailbird preaching about the wrongs of having a beer at the weekend like it’s
    murder ! What a joke

Jesus that absolute entitled muppet who had a pint needs to cop on. It was like something you'd read on Ross O'Carroll Kelly. If he wanted to do his bit to get the pubs reopened he totally screwed it up. I think we need to open the pubs and restaurants (but ban take away pints and close the off-licences). But this twat just shat all over that objective by arguing for it. He must own a string of off licences across South County Dublin. It was like listening to Ross' father.

Oh christ. Jarlaith Regan. The entitled UCD twat factor is off the scale tonight

• Advertisement

Oh christ. Jarlaith Regan. The entitled UCD twat factor is off the scale tonight

Midlife crisis with his hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jesus that absolute entitled muppet who had a pint needs to cop on. It was like something you'd read on Ross O'Carroll Kelly. If he wanted to do his bit to get the pubs reopened he totally screwed it up. I think we need to open the pubs and restaurants (but ban take away pints and close the off-licences). But this twat just shat all over that objective by arguing for it. He must own a string of off licences across South County Dublin. It was like listening to Ross' father.

Why would you ban take away pints? It's working very well rurally and helping business pay their overhead.
    Why not get the Gardai to do their job in Dublin where most of the lawbreaking is happening? The panelist is right...break the rules you are closed for the next week. Keep breaking them, closed for good.

A jailbird preaching about the wrongs of having a beer at the weekend like it’s
    murder ! What a joke

Mannix does not fit the definition of a jailbird.

He had a tough start in life and was detained as child. He later served part of a sentence in prison.

He got back on track and managed to make something of himself.

Redemption.

Why would you ban take away pints? It's working very well rurally and helping business pay their overhead.
    Why not get the Gardai to do their job in Dublin where most of the lawbreaking is happening? The panelist is right...break the rules you are closed for the next week. Keep breaking them, closed for good.

I'd let the pubs open and let the publicans police it. I'm trust most publicans to be responsible and have a more controlled environment than a house party or street party. Plus restaurant owners should also be left reopen. Opening them up would also be invaluable for their businesses and help the economy. I thought we were edging towards that with the reports of house parties and street parties. But now this gobsh1te has firmly shifted the focus of the angry mob back onto the pubs which have been closed for 8 months but still get the blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I though Mannix spoke very well.

There are byelaws that outlaw the consumption of alcohol in a public place.

We just need the Gardai to do a bit of policing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd let the pubs open and let the publicans police it. I'm trust most publicans to be responsible and have a more controlled environment than a house party or street party. Plus restaurant owners. Opening them up would also be invaluable for their businesses and help the economy. I thought we were edging towards that with the reports of house parties and street parties. But now this gobsh1te has firmly shifted the focus of the angry mob back onto the pubs which have been closed for 8 months but still get the blame.

The Dublin pubs were serving the drink and stood idly by as crowds formed.

If you don't want crowds forming on a given night it isn't rocket science to work out what to do. Stop serving drink, they'll get the message soon enough.

elperello wrote: »
    Mannix does not fit the definition of a jailbird.

He had a tough start in life and was detained as child. He later served part of a sentence in prison.

He got back on track and managed to make something of himself.

Redemption.

That’s the definition of a jailbird

That’s the definition of a jailbird

I disagree.

It's a minor miracle that the man is alive at all never mind making a contribution to society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Marian Finnucane was reincarnated on Claire Byrne Live tonight as Prof Karina Butler.. Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Marian Finnucane was reincarnated on Claire Byrne Live tonight as Prof Karina Butler.. Wow!

I thought the exact same thing!

Advertisement