Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

That's what Prof Crowne keeps saying on Twitter, that RTE shouldn't be dragging people into studio.

You should’ve seen Crimecall tonight. Sharon interviewing Guards who were not 2m away for about 90 seconds each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Hyperbolic nonsense.

Most people already want to take the Zero COVID approach and believe we should have been doing it for months.

To be honest it doesn't really matter what most people want, the zero Covid approach is literally unachievable on this island, so there's not much point in progressing it further. If it could be done it would be, but it can't.

The focus needs to be on the things that can actually be controlled, like testing, contract tracing and getting close contacts to self isolate.

Jake1 wrote: »
    that dr fauci bollox in the states, now saying wearing two mask is better. same ****er said last years masks were not effective.

That was said because there was a shortage and doctors, nurses and other frontline staff needed whatever supplies were available.

This was obvious even at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

To be honest it doesn't really matter what most people want, the zero Covid approach is literally unachievable on this island, so there's not much point in progressing it further. If it could be done it would be, but it can't.

The focus needs to be on the things that can actually be controlled, like testing, contract tracing and getting close contacts to self isolate.

It's 100% achievable but it won't be achieved because society won't comply, poor governance, and a poor relationship with our northern neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Why does Ian Paisley want passenger forms from last year?!

He came in and did a great job for his own people, ran rings around the rest of the panel. Laughing at Carthy and Chambers.
    The horrible bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,326 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Malta has a higher infection rate than Ireland, if they can't control it with a zero Covid approach we sure as hell can't.

Malta has a higher infection rate than Ireland, if they can't control it with a zero Covid approach we sure as hell can't.

Have they attempted a proper zero covid approach?

It's 100% achievable but it won't be achieved because society won't comply, poor governance, and a poor relationship with our northern neighbours.

It's 100% unachievable. Not because of our poor relationship with our northern neighbours or any of the other things you mention, but because of the relationship of half of their population with the UK and of the other half with us.

It simply cannot be done.

It's 100% unachievable. Not because of our poor relationship with our northern neighbours or any of the other things you mention, but because of the relationship of half of their population with the UK and of the other half with us.

It simply cannot be done.
    It is 100% achievable and has been done in other places. It is not achievable because people will not comply with the conditions to make it achievable. That is a fact, Tomas Ryan is completely correct in saying this. It says a lot about our society and our relationship with our neighbours that we cannot agree to pull together to save lives. It's a matter of fact that we are a very selfish people on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Anyone know what restrictions are for zero covid

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Lol I have done that too. In fact I put my mask on today upside down by mistake.

The mask hanging beneath the nose. I want to slap anyone i see wearing it that way.

Me too and believe me I have come close to doing it a few times.
    Also there is one fat bitch who wears a screen and thinks she is great. There Is absolutely nothing wrong with her. I can not wait to tell her what a selfish fat bitch she is and to go watch tonight's Claire Byrne show she might learn something.

A FAT bitch you say? And do you want to slap her?? The Fat bitch.
    Ooohh.. Suits you Sir! Suits you!

It is 100% achievable and has been done in other places. It is not achievable because people will not comply with the conditions to make it achievable. That is a fact, Tomas Ryan is completely correct in saying this. It says a lot about our society and our relationship with our neighbours that we cannot agree to pull together to save lives. It's a matter of fact that we are a very selfish people on this island.

We are not other places. We are not New Zealand and we are not an island state. We don't have any control over what the other part of our island chooses to do and must accept that, to them, closing the sea border is as unpalatable as closing the 275 land border crossings is to a large section of our own population.

It's time for people now to move on from non starter concepts like zero Covid strategies, it simply - in practical terms - cannot be achieved and is only taking the focus away from other solutions and strategies than we can actually use to control the virus.

We are not other places. We are not New Zealand and we are not an island state. We don't have any control over what the other part of our island chooses to do and must accept that, to them, closing the sea border is as unpalatable as closing the 275 land border crossings is to a large section of our own population.

I agree with you on this but it could have been overcome and has highlighted the dysfunctional relationship on our island. If we had a good relationship with the north this could have been easily solved. We've had 100 years to build a relationship and are still extremely divided. I'm blaming both sides by the way, both sides have failed miserably to put people first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's time for people now to move on from non starter concepts like zero Covid strategies, it simply - in practical terms - cannot be achieved and is only taking the focus away from other solutions and strategies than we can actually use to control the virus.

Can be done if UK and Ireland Act as one. A NZ situation if you like. They have two islands, so do we. I think it should happen for the greater good now.

Can be done if UK and Ireland Act as one. A NZ situation if you like. They have two islands, so do we. I think it should happen for the greater good now.

I agree with this to a point but would question whether it would work across a population of over 70 million people between the two nations. There is too much scope for transmission of the virus into the islands, everything from Scottish fishermen landing their catch in Denmark to truck drivers needing to be allowed in from the continent to the thousands of illegal migrants who are smuggled into the UK by various means every month. These are not remote Pacific islands like New Zealand.

I also have huge doubts as to whether Boris Johnson and his government would have the will power to stick to such a concept, it pretty much goes directly against his personal approach to governance.

I think we might see it tried for a short period but I can't see it sticking, he's already talking about looking at relaxing some restrictions in February where possible.

It is 100% achievable and has been done in other places. It is not achievable because people will not comply with the conditions to make it achievable. That is a fact.......

If you know for a fact folk will not comply then by definition the aim is unachievable.

Hyperbolic nonsense.

Most people already want to take the Zero COVID approach and believe we should have been doing it for months.

What about folk who won't cover their nose with a mask and the folk who's teenage kids are roaming around every evening in groups?

Most people realise the zero covid approach is a non runner.... Look what happened in cork & Dublin with takeaway pints. Look at all the sibin around the country. Non compliance with tame enough restrictions was quite high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Claire loves this fcuking virus

Not as much as Tubs though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Not as much as Tubs though!

They all love it, i was going to say secretely, but they don't hide it. Focus on the negatives, never the positives.

If somebody says "good news cases are coming down" But but but, what about the hospitals etc etc

As soon as the schools start opening they'll be whinging it is too soon. They have their own agenda. They continue to have people travelling in to their studios when it is not required.

Shower of kants

Don't get me started on that patronising prik Tubridy.

Saying that i'm waiting to listen to CB on the radio shortly, so maybe we are the bigger mugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Paisley must have been setting it up for ages to make sure that nonce Billy was going to be seen in the backround.

• Advertisement

I can't understand either RTE and Virgin reporters going outside HSE headquarters to do reports just for the sake of being there with nobody to actually interview, each morning Virgin do one absolutely no need.

Like this twat I hear on Galway Bay FM every morning telling us to obey the rules when he drives from Westmeath to Galway thinking he is an essential worker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like this twat I hear on Galway Bay FM every morning telling us to obey the rules when he drives from Westmeath to Galway thinking he is an essential worker.

I'm not familiar with the presenter you refer to but this is a direct quote from the list of essential services.

Information and communications
    The following services relating to information and communications:

the production and publication of newspapers, journals and periodicals and the distribution of those publications, whether in hardcopy or digital format
    the production of television and radio programmes, video, sound, digital or other electronic content and the broadcast or publication of the same to the public or a portion of the public

It's not ideal that the presenter is travelling from Westmeath to do the programme but that's probably where he lives.

elperello wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the presenter you refer to but this is a direct quote from the list of essential services.

Information and communications
    The following services relating to information and communications:

the production and publication of newspapers, journals and periodicals and the distribution of those publications, whether in hardcopy or digital format
    the production of television and radio programmes, video, sound, digital or other electronic content and the broadcast or publication of the same to the public or a portion of the public

It's not ideal that the presenter is travelling from Westmeath to do the programme but that's probably where he lives.

He may be an “essential” worker, but for me the acid test is, was the journey necessary. I count as an essential worker (aviation sector) but I can - and do - work from home.

Remember Catriona Perry’s trip “up north” at the tail end of last year? It was totally unnecessary. As is having some poor reporter on the street outside the Dail. And so on

The truth matters. Allegedly

He may be an “essential” worker, but for me the acid test is, was the journey necessary. I count as an essential worker (aviation sector) but I can - and do - work from home.

Remember Catriona Perry’s trip “up north” at the tail end of last year? It was totally unnecessary. As is having some poor reporter on the street outside the Dail. And so on

The truth matters. Allegedly

Of course you may apply your own acid test to any scenario to do with Covid.

We are after all only discussing this as a matter of interest.

Perhaps the local radio station does not have the technology for the presenter to work from home.

Perhaps the presenter can only afford to keep living at home in Westmeath while commuting to Galway.

It's common in media all over the world for reporters to do "on the spot" reports and for presenters to travel to where an important story is unfolding.

The truth definitely matters.

elperello wrote: »
    Of course you may apply your own acid test to any scenario to do with Covid.

We are after all only discussing this as a matter of interest.

Perhaps the local radio station does not have the technology for the presenter to work from home.

Perhaps the presenter can only afford to keep living at home in Westmeath while commuting to Galway.

It's common in media all over the world for reporters to do "on the spot" reports and for presenters to travel to where an important story is unfolding.

The truth definitely matters.

Its a light entertainment show and not even a good one, he's about as essential as Barney the Dinosaur.

Its a light entertainment show and not even a good one, he's about as essential as Barney the Dinosaur.

With respect that's your "acid test" :)

On the other hand his employers most likely feel that he is worth having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

What are all these cnuts of presenters going to do when this pandemic is over.

"Don't feel guilty for killing granny".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

What are all these cnuts of presenters going to do when this pandemic is over.

My is RTE will have some sort of "Reeling in the Covid year" program with all these talking heads, Joe Duffy will be the main one with his #washyehnands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

My is RTE will have some sort of "Reeling in the Covid year" program with all these talking heads, Joe Duffy will be the main one with his #washyehnands

I can see now "top 5 covid highlights" and shiite like "ah it was actually a really lovely time"

Advertisement