Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Paleface

Adver-tizz-ments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭forumdedum

What is an advertizzment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Micheal Martin talks a lot without saying anything.

A real political leader, so!!! Our new world. Just so many possible things that could possibly offend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Aboy Joe !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Nobody wants to see that again but you cannot have the threat of violence holding democracy hostage. If we give in to threats of violence then we may as well just give up altogether.

But why would you want to start a new United Ireland with a divide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

smurgen wrote: »

I don't think anyone doubts that Campbell is a homophobe and that includes Campbell himself. It's calling him a homophobe on TV that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why do you want the debate to turn into a slagging match?

That gets us nowhere and just shows how a UI will probably never work.

It wasn't, he was trying to make a point about the belligerent Unionist mindset that is all on the public record and he was cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

But that is completely unfair and he knows that. His mindset is to prevent a poll from happening altogether. If he believed what he said he would be advocating for a poll now to get an understanding of how people feel.

Unfair? Life isn’t fair. Grow up.

But, the agreement states that Secretary of State may call a referendum when it appears likely a majority will vote for Unification (my paraphrasing) so calling it to get an understanding of how people feel is actually against the agreement.

The secretary also can’t hold a second referendum for 7 years after a failed one so it’s best to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's a cohort of unionists who would never ever accept a United Ireland regardless of anything that could be done. You can't pander to them forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Taoiseach really doesn't like putting a date on anything does he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Credit where its due, rarely for Michael Martin but he's a good understanding of a progressive approach to a U. I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think anyone doubts that Campbell is a homophobe and that includes Campbell himself. It's calling him a homophobe on TV that's the problem.

He also brought in racism...

Brolly had nothing to add...usual bluster to get clickbait

A waffler!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

forumdedum wrote: »
    What is an advertizzment?

It's something that you might place in The Examiner when you want more people to buy Barry's Tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

As useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Why is calling a homophobe (who everyone agrees is a homophobe) a homophobe on TV a problem? It's no different to calling him a Unionist, or calling Joe Brolly a barrister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭forumdedum

It's something that you might place in The Examiner when you want more people to buy Barry's Tea.

That's an advertisement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Why carry on with it divided as is? We have to accept and respect what people vote for, whatever the outcome.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There's a cohort of unionists who would never ever accept a United Ireland regardless of anything that could be done. You can't pander to them forever.

The majority of them will die out.

As said earlier in the show there is a growing middle ground and they are the ones that will decide the majority.
    Anyway the way Burton was talking nonsense was wrong. He was giving out good points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Smee_Again wrote: »

But, the agreement states that Secretary of State may call a referendum when it appears likely a majority will vote for Unification (my paraphrasing) so calling it to get an understanding of how people feel is actually against the agreement.

The secretary also can’t hold a second referendum for 7 years after a failed one so it’s best to wait.

This was tested in court by Raymond McCord...the SoS can basically call a poll whenever he/she wants and doesn't have to provide any evidence or reasons.
    Colin Harvey has been trying to get the current SoS to give specifics but he won't.

It would not be against the GFA (according to the court) for him to call it if he tossed a coin basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The man must have so many splinters in him at this point.
    He just doesn't say anything and when he does it's brutal.

I can only imagine working in his Dept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

walshb wrote: »
    He also brought in racism...

Brolly had nothing to add...usual bluster to get clickbait

A waffler!

Brolly was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The conversations are only happening in their heads

The majority down here don’t really give a toss

Opinion polls in the Republic show a majority for unity so the majority not giving a toss in only happening in your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Smee_Again wrote: »

Thanks for the personal insult. I'm quite aware of what the GFA states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭celt262

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Opinion polls in the Republic show a majority for unity so the majority not giving a toss in only happening in your head.

Opinion polls mean nothing look at Brexit polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

That was the first time I watched a full episode of claire byrne in years.......

im just relieved Luke O'Neill didnt show up...
    ....or Bernard O'Shea......

......in a f*cking bubble!!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That was the first time I watched a full episode of claire byrne in years.......

Yeah a proper show tonight.

The folk who build the fake sets got a night off.

A couple of things that weren't mentioned tonight/my thoughts

Unionist majority is high in the over 65s. As high as 60%. That will die out soon.

Leo Varadkar wants a United Ireland. MM does not.

FG/FF in modern times never really wanted or discussed a UI mostly due to fact that they are not established in NI and they wouldn't have a hold on power anymore when a million plus people would join the electorate.

Same here. Delighted not to hear Covid mentioned.
    Hopefully it continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

This was tested in court by Raymond McCord...the SoS can basically call a poll whenever he/she wants and doesn't have to provide any evidence or reasons.
    Colin Harvey has been trying to get the current SoS to give specifics but he won't.

It would not be against the GFA (according to the court) for him to call it if he tossed a coin basically.

Was that case decided? I remember it being argued now that you mention it but I don’t remember reading about a decision.

You’re slightly over egging the pudding Francie, not the toss of a coin but considerable leeway to be fair.
    The exercise of discretion must be preceded by the respondent’s assessment of the prevailing circumstances which have and will change over time.”

That discretion must be exercised honestly and based upon the Government’s assessment, using political judgment, of whether a border poll was in the public interest, the court added.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Opinion polls mean nothing look at Brexit polls.

Plenty of opinion polls had brexit winning. They were all close whatever way they swayed. A border poll in the Republic yes is 30 40 points ahead of no so its not close. You can't compare it to brexit.

Advertisement