Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭HBC08

I couldn't see a sustained terror campaign in the modern social media world, it wouldn't be accepted.

Yeah the twitterati would do a pile on and all the nasty loyalists would be put in their place would stand down and accept a United Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Was that case decided? I remember it being argued now that you mention it but I don’t remember reading about a decision.

You’re slightly over egging the pudding Francie, not the toss of a coin but considerable leeway to be fair.

He/she is under no onus to explain why they call a border poll is the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

walshb wrote: »
    He also brought in racism...

Brolly had nothing to add...usual bluster to get clickbait

A waffler!

Brolly had plenty to add but as per with RTE, pander to the unionists and cut off the republicans.
    Nothing new there, Gay Byrne did it constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Sparko

That was the first time I watched a full episode of claire byrne in years.......

im just relieved Luke O'Neill didnt show up...
    ....or Bernard O'Shea......

......in a f*cking bubble!!!

Spot on. I was half expecting a final segment totally out of left field, Bob and Renee from Fair City simulating the Covid shopping experience or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Morto for Brolly lasted like 90 seconds.

Had to laugh when he disagreed about a UI being inevitable, she literally quoted his previous interview discussing the exact same thing where he did actually say it was inevitable.

Surprised he didn't try and get a Dickens quote in or something. If you told him it gets dark at nighttime he'd try and find an angle to object.

Someone needs to get himself and Geoffrey Campbell on same panel again though.

I'd put €50 on Joe kissing his arse by end of interview though.

Brolly, Campbell, Bryson and Gerry Kelly. Let them all loose, nobody would get to finish a sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

A waffler!

Everything he said was right.
    If quizzed on gay marriage , Campbell would agree he's against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think Gregory Campbell may be surprised quite soon when he sounds the "who's with me boys!" and looks around to a sparse and rather mute crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Thanks for the personal insult. I'm quite aware of what the GFA states.

GFA not legally binding.
    An agreement isn't legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Claire was out getting the hair done at the wknd. She certainly was not in watching the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I sense that there is a very real limit to how far people here are willing to go to accommodate unionists in a united Ireland.

They are talking about flags, anthems and everything but Unionists would make up only 1/7 of the population.

Plus I like our flag and anthem etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

forumdedum wrote: »
    That's an advertisement?

No. It's an advertizzment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

celt262 wrote: »
    Opinion polls mean nothing look at Brexit polls.

The brexit polls were all reasonably close and many were within the margin of error, Polls on unity consistently show huge majorities, you dont what you are talking about re polling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It wasn't, he was trying to make a point about the belligerent Unionist mindset that is all on the public record and he was cut off.

The problem is the stringent libel laws in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The brexit polls were all reasonably close and many were within the margin of error, Polls on unity consistently show huge majorities, you dont what you are talking about re polling

The thing is that people are being asked if they want a reunited Ireland without the details, costs and ramifications.

When it comes to polling and they realise that it means a lot of changes in the south they might think twice.

When they realise that they will have to pay more tax to take on the north that might change things, the figures I'm hearing is 5-7% more income tax to accommodate current NI levels of funding. Then you have the flag, anthem and probable government structure changes. I believe the vote will be a lot closer here when the mechanics and real cost of reunification are teased out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

smurgen wrote: »
    Brolly was right.

You’re missing the point.

He was brought on for discussion and dialogue on a UI and went off on a personal rant/attack with accusations on TV against someone who was gone..

Right or wrong on said accusations, in this instance it was wrong.

Brolly, to use a GAA term played the man and not the ball.

I know what Campbell is. Last night was not the place to discuss or throw around said accusations..

Brolly was there to get his clickbait. Spent two mins waffling and then off on his personal attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

A waffler!

The public got an overt taste of RTE censorship last night. This is much less overt in normal broadcasting but was very much on view last night. You can say what you want about republicans, (and Campbell did about Adams, who wasn't there and Bruton did about Mary Lou, who wasn't there) true and untrue, but dare you tell the truth about aspects of Unionism.

There needs to be a debate and the debate needs to be truthful. Their is no slander in the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Simple enough solution. Brolly v Campbell, nobody else, televised verbal death match, loser ends up with his yoghurt curried.

I'm only half joking. Instead of pussy footing around like Leo and Dearbhail were doing last night, lets let Joe and Gregory talk about what we're REALLY talking about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

If they don't want to accept a democratic vote then they can feck off to Britain. Simple as. Plenty of nationalists were forced to move across the years.

Excellent analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

AMKC wrote: »
    They can go back home if they are British go to Scotland or England or Wales and let us have our Island back and a United Ireland.
    There I solved Gregory's three word problem for him.

Yeah, that would solve everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭forumdedum

No. It's an advertizzment.

I'm so way behind the times. Not only do I have problem with modern lingo but my clothes kinda match unlike the guy on the show with 4 different colour schemes going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

The public got an overt taste of RTE censorship last night. This is much less overt in normal broadcasting but was very much on view last night. You can say what you want about republicans, (and Campbell did about Adams, who wasn't there and Bruton did about Mary Lou, who wasn't there) true and untrue, but dare you tell the truth about aspects of Unionism.

There needs to be a debate and the debate needs to be truthful. Their is no slander in the truth.

Brolly did make his point, but then expanded upon it, where he should have left it there and moved on to make his other points. He does have some interesting things to say on a UI but he went off on a bit of a tangent on Flegory.

He could have got the dig in and said we'd need to discuss attitudes towards SSM etc in a UI...

Campbell was also right. There is no way you can convince a loyalist or whatever brand of unionism he is of a united Ireland. Him and his type can't be accommodated, simple as that.
    I got the feeling guys like Andrew Trimble would go with whatever the majority voted for, but would be happy enough with the status quo, which is fair enough, at least he seems like the type who would be open to the idea of a UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

gandalf wrote: »
    The thing is that people are being asked if they want a reunited Ireland without the details, costs and ramifications.

When it comes to polling and they realise that it means a lot of changes in the south they might think twice.

When they realise that they will have to pay more tax to take on the north that might change things, the figures I'm hearing is 5-7% more income tax to accommodate current NI levels of funding. Then you have the flag, anthem and probable government structure changes. I believe the vote will be a lot closer here when the mechanics and real cost of reunification are teased out.

I take your point, but i just think the margin for UI is so big im not sure it could be overturned that easily, but yeah certainly would be way closer than polls show currently. There have been studies done that show a peaceful Unity process would lead to an economic bonanza and economic growth so not sure the 5-7% is much more than guesswork at the moment. Though im sure there will be studies that would back that scenario up too, way too early yet to see what the economic consequences are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If Campbell gets on a Primetime show surely Gemma should get the same courtesy, if anything she wouldn't be as far gone

Granadino wrote: »
    Brolly did make his point, but then expanded upon it, where he should have left it there and moved on to make his other points. He does have some interesting things to say on a UI but he went off on a bit of a tangent on Flegory.

He could have got the dig in and said we'd need to discuss attitudes towards SSM etc in a UI...

Campbell was also right. There is no way you can convince a loyalist or whatever brand of unionism he is of a united Ireland. Him and his type can't be accommodated, simple as that.
    I got the feeling guys like Andrew Trimble would go with whatever the majority voted for, but would be happy enough with the status quo, which is fair enough, at least he seems like the type who would be open to the idea of a UI.

Brolly had literally just started. He was not going to be allowed bring up the uncomfortable truths. But if anybody else wanted to have a pop at the other side, there was no issue whatever.

Balance and consistency, missing once again from an RTE discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Claire Byrne is a ride at the best of times but did you see her getting irate at Brolly wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Have to say, its refreshing to see the unionists politicians giving straight answers and they don't go round in circles.

Interviewer "what do you think of a united Ireland?"
    Unionist politicians "Not a ****ing chance"

Not like listening to politicians down here squirm and dodge giving an answer to the question they are asked.

Standard Irish Politician "first, let me start off by saying.... blah blah blah... more discussion... blah blah... set up a group to look into it..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I wonder who wants a UI less, MM or the DUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Irish British

Thats the greatest load of PC bollix i've heard in a long time.

Little Jamie was on his best behaviour last night, even got suited up and all to chat to Claire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭trashcan

Have to say, its refreshing to see the unionists politicians giving straight answers and they don't go round in circles.

Unionist politicians "Not a ****ing chance"

Not like listening to politicians down here squirm and dodge giving an answer to the question they are asked.

Standard Irish Politician "first, let me start off by saying.... blah blah blah... more discussion... blah blah... set up a group to look into it..."

Well, yeah, but the like of Gregory Campbell are in the fortunate (for them) position of not having to appeal to voters, or anyone, south of the border. They don’t have to care, so can say what they like without fear of offending anyone, in fact that’s probably a bonus for them.

Advertisement