Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

forumdedum wrote: »
    Brid coming over as a gobs*&#e to me

Nothing new there... I remember when she was on one night talking about protesting the Trump visit... and she was asked why they had never protested any China officials when they visited (as their policies were as bad or worse than Trumps)... she was clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Cole

mloc123 wrote: »
    Nothing new there... I remember when she was on one night talking about protesting the Trump visit... and she was asked why they had never protested any China officials when they visited (as their policies were as bad or worse than Trumps)... she was clueless.

I'm not aware of Brid Smith and her fellow warriors protesting outside the Chinese or the Saudi embassies or drawing attention on social media etc. to clear, evidenced human rights abuses. The likes of her always go for the safe targets where she knows there'll be little or no push back...e.g the royal family, the Catholic church

All she can do is sneer and snipe at the easy stuff...a contemptible individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

forumdedum wrote: »
    Brid coming over as a gobs*&#e to me

100,000 compalints to the BBC for complete over the top coverage, anti royalists losing it all over the UK nd we have a prime time segment for an Irish royalist to call somebody who criticised monarchy names and have a general hissy fit. Embarrassed for Eddie and the few he represents to be honest. Wave the wee flag if you want but the days of shutting down criticism are over.

100,000 compalints to the BBC for complete over the top coverage, anti royalists losing it all over the UK nd we have a prime time segment for an Irish royalist to call somebody who criticised monarchy names and have a general hissy fit. Embarrassed for Eddie and the few he represents to be honest. Wave the wee flag if you want but the days of shutting down criticism are over.

There is no issue criticising the monarchy... but why didn't she do it 6 months ago? It is crass to do it when somebody has just died. Typical PBP... jumping on an easy bandwagon.

Sure as **** PBP won't give a **** about the british monarchy in 3 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

Claire Byrne is a newscaster that was elevated to a position way beyond her capabilities by rte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

touts wrote: »
    Fair play Eddie O'Sullivan for calling Brid Smith on her hate filled Trotskyist political rhetoric. She has built her profile on spiteful populist rabble rousing. Thank God the media are finally calling her on it.
    Many great enemies pay respect in death, it was a silly tweet and right to be called out, but to have the two of them wheeled into RTE during a pandemic to discuss it is downright stupid. In fact it equates to a senior infants name calling situation when the 2 kids are mediating with a teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Got to say I agree with the poster this time Claire Byrne is a joke we have had mock up aircraft, bars, hospital ICU, last nights rubbish and ones I forget, it must cost a lot of taxpayers money to set these things up when they could sit around a table and discuss what they on about, it makes us look like fools that we have to see these set ups its embarrassing at this stage.

The portaloo alone probably cost 1500 to rent.

There is no issue criticising the monarchy... but why didn't she do it 6 months ago? It is crass to do it when somebody has just died. Typical PBP... jumping on an easy bandwagon.

Sure as **** PBP won't give a **** about the british monarchy in 3 months time.

Commenting on a current event - the over the top obsequious fawning was topical, even if you didn't like it.
    For Eddie not to see the irony of him calling them haters of humankind is fairly typical of the cohort he represents.

If PBP were on a bandwagon so also was Eddie and Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hamachi wrote: »
    Loved watching the sour puss on Brid Smith when the opinion poll showed that 91% of respondents disagreed with her.

An utter fish wife.

It was 94% and hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That whole segment was a joke.

But then Claire Byrne's show is a joke from start to finish.

You'd miss Questions and Answers and the frontline when you're left with the inane crap served up in the Claire Byrne show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

HBC08 wrote: »

I'm more sure what the point of the poll was really... Regular diplomacy would involve a formal note of condolence to be sent on behalf of the Irish state to whomever wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

lawred2 wrote: »

You'd miss Questions and Answers and the frontline when you're left with the inane crap served up in the Claire Byrne show.

Completely. The standard has gone through the floor.

There’s a phrase “dumbing down”

When I remember the level of debate when Brian Farrell or John Bowman were presenting compared to now....

a shocking decline that Claire Byrne ignorantly revels in

HBC08 wrote: »

I'd say it was more bewiderment at the question.

Nobody has an issue with commiserating on a personal loss.

However the point (and she said this several times) was about the institution of monarchy and fawning over that archaic institution. Not a personal like or dislike.

I enjoyed Eddie's gulp for air when it was pointed out he too was hateful and crass in his tweeted reply.

It was. The show is a disappointment, I switched over to the Tonight Show after the Eddies/Brid slot, couldn't take anymore.

I'd say it was more bewiderment at the question.

Nobody has an issue with commiserating on a personal loss.

However the point (and she said this several times) was about the institution of monarchy and fawning over that archaic institution. Not a personal like or dislike.

I enjoyed Eddie's gulp for air when it was pointed out he too was hateful and crass in his tweeted reply.

Clearly PBP have a problem though, considering they went out of their way to say they were not sending condolences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Patio heaters were all the rage around time of Celtic Tiger... never see them now that we could actually do with them.

Patio heaters would have the Green party worked into a frenzy,

Commenting on a current event - the over the top obsequious fawning was topical, even if you didn't like it.
    For Eddie not to see the irony of him calling them haters of humankind is fairly typical of the cohort he represents.

If PBP were on a bandwagon so also was Eddie and Co.

oh, Eddies came across as a complete idiot... I have no idea what point he was trying to make... I don't think he did either

I did laugh tho that he kept calling her Breege

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Clearly PBP have a problem though, considering they went out of their way to say they were not sending condolences.

What's the 'problem'? They are taking a principled stand and not wringing their hands and craw thumping about something they fundamentally object to - monarchy.

It has nothing to do with personal loss.

You can agree or disagree with the principle, thankfully we live in a democratic republic.

I did laugh tho that he kept calling her Breege

Is that not her name?

What's the 'problem'? They are taking a principled stand and not wringing their hands and craw thumping about something they fundamentally object to - monarchy.

It has nothing to do with personal loss.

You can agree or disagree with the principle, thankfully we live in a democratic republic.

If you announce that you're not sending condolences rather than just not sending any, what do you think it means?

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Is that not her name?

no, it is Brid... similar but not the same name.

no, it is Brid... similar but not the same name.

Fada on the i?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'm more sure what the point of the poll was really... Regular diplomacy would involve a formal note of condolence to be sent on behalf of the Irish state to whomever wherever.

Very true but I draw the line at Hitler. They could have just pretended that they didn't get the news or something. :eek:
    A terse paragraph in the Irish national dailies on 3 May 1945 started the avalanche of international protest. Under the heading ‘People and Places’,

the Fianna Fáil-backed Irish Press reported laconically that the Taoiseach and Minister for External Affairs, Éamon de Valera, accompanied by the Secretary of External Affairs, Joseph Walshe, ‘called on Dr Hempel, the German minister, last evening, to express his condolences’. The condolences were for Hitler who had committed suicide on 30 April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Cole

Jaysus...a tad over the top in your analysis of Eddie there.

Cole wrote: »
    Jaysus...a tad over the top in your analysis of Eddie there.

Where was Eddie when other bereaved families where being derided and pilloried?

He might protest to being called a royalist, but it is no coincidence these people get upset when a royal gets pilloried and criticised. Then we are 'crass' and 'insulting', not a word out of them when it is other bereaved families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hadn't watched in a few weeks so tuned in last night to see the queen of the looney left saying the Brits should get rid of their monarchy.

Real hot issues bothering PBP it seems these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Hadn't watched in a few weeks so tuned in last night to see the queen of the looney left saying the Brits should get rid of their monarchy.

Real hot issues bothering PBP it seems these days.

I don’t normally watch the show but I noticed that most of the posts on this thread were less than complimentary about its quality. I watched it to see if it was as bad as reported........it was.
    The ‘discussion’ on the death of old Philip was bizarre, to say the least of it. None of the three of them, (especially Smith), seemed to understand that the man who died was not the monarch, he was the spouse of the monarch with no constitutional position at all.

Has anybody felt as sad as when watching tonight's Claire Byrne Live?
    :(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

I’ve heard that his last speaking before, heartbreaking, but fair play to her for speaking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I know it's not funny but I'm getting visions of Claire moving to a mock up of a graveyard in the studio.

Advertisement