Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Is Claire competing with Ryan for misery Sam maguire?

I have the utmost respect & sympathy for the American lady but this idea of exhuming the child after 8 years doesn't sit well with me.... there's an air of vindictivness & misplaced hatred about the whole idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

Is Claire competing with Ryan for misery Sam maguire?
    Its depressing. Does everything in this country have to be about misery???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Terrible sad story and her grief is exacerbated by the decision allowing Clarissa to be buried in the arms of her father.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

raclle wrote: »
    Its depressing. Does everything in this country have to be about misery???

Yes it does, we are a nation of miserable people. Obsessed with misery.

• Advertisement

CH3OH wrote: »
    Terrible sad story and her grief is exacerbated by the decision allowing Clarissa to be buried in the arms of her father.

I think one of the points they were making was that clergy etc should be trained in counselling the bereaved under these extremely emotional circumstances not to bury victims of murder-suicide together as regret is almost inevitable, resulting in distressing exhumation proceedings. Clergy so often focus on the "forgiveness" aspect at the outset, to the detriment of the welfare of the bereaved left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I have the utmost respect & sympathy for the American lady but this idea of exhuming the child after 8 years doesn't sit well with me.... there's an air of vindictivness & misplaced hatred about the whole idea.

No. Understandably she not in the right frame of mind to make decisions when all of this happened. All because we don't allow people enough time in this country to process what the f**k has even happened before having the funeral.

Now she's had to live with knowledge that her daughter has been buried with her own killer. It never should have happened. And it's only right that this is corrected and the mother is given some form of closure.

. And it's only right that this is corrected and the mother is given some form of closure.[/QUOTE]

2wrongs don't make a right, exhuming the little girls remains a decade later and shipping them off to Texas wont " give closure". I understand the lady's grievience about her husband will but that has been thrashed out by the courts af infinum. In my opinion the child should be allowed Rest in Peace, its definitely NOT a course of action I would be contributing to a gofundme website to finance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's "wrong" about it? It's her child. She's entitled to leave it rest where she believes is right. I'm not sure you're in a position to judge right from wrong here to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 phone150

"Vindictivness and misplaced hatred"??? Her child is lying in the arms of the monster who murdered her. There’s nothing vindictive about wanting her child to rest in peace away from that man. If you think she’s doing this out of “vindictiveness and misplaced hatred“ who is it aimed at?

"the American lady" sounds like a euphemism for “the blow in” so its clear to see where your real sympathy lies. She is the child's mother and has every right to decide where her precious baby is laid to rest and the best place is to be close to her mother, not with the murderer nor beside a family who compounded her unimaginable grief , screaming at her at the inquest and dragging her through the courts "af infinum." (your words). Now that's what I call Vindictiveness and misplaced hatred.

Do you think it was vindictiveness and misplaced hatred when Clodagh Hawe’s family got her murderer exhumed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

He is a monster because he killed himself and his child?

"the American lady" sounds like a euphemism for “the blow in” so its clear to see where your real sympathy lies.

Jeez, you sure do jump to some self serving assumptions. I didn't catch the lady's name on CB last evening but I took from her accent that she was American. For several decades abroad I was frequently referred to as the "Irish Guy"...... never bothered me & I certainly never took it to show where anyone's 'real sympathy' laid. If you bothered to read my op my first line was that i had the " UTMOST SYMPATHY" for the lady, I mean, who couldn't??As I said in op exhuming the poor child's remains a decade later doesn't sit well with me &, though I regularly contribute to gofundme causes, this is NOT a fundraiser I will be contributing to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

I think one of the points they were making was that clergy etc should be trained in counselling the bereaved under these extremely emotional circumstances not to bury victims of murder-suicide together as regret is almost inevitable, resulting in distressing exhumation proceedings. Clergy so often focus on the "forgiveness" aspect at the outset, to the detriment of the welfare of the bereaved left behind.

The clergy don't really have a role in the funeral arrangements; this training, if needed, would have to apply to undertakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

"the American lady" sounds like a euphemism for “the blow in” so its clear to see where your real sympathy lies.

Jeez, you sure do jump to some self serving assumptions. I didn't catch the lady's name on CB last evening but I took from her accent that she was American. For several decades abroad I was frequently referred to as the "Irish Guy"...... never bothered me & I certainly never took it to show where anyone's 'real sympathy' laid. If you bothered to read my op my first line was that i had the " UTMOST SYMPATHY" for the lady, I mean, who couldn't??As I said in op exhuming the poor child's remains a decade later doesn't sit well with me &, though I regularly contribute to gofundme causes, this is NOT a fundraiser I will be contributing to.

but you don't really though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

CH3OH wrote: »

Very sad story. Couldn’t believe what I was watching.

The American girl must’ve been completely off her head to get involved with yer man to such an extent to marry him

after a week or so of work experience on the farm?

Wtf like

And he was mid 40s she was something like 16. Presume he groomed/love bombed her?

She made some comment about how he made her feel so special and gave attention to her

Maybe I’m over thinking this. Where was the school oversight for all this?

Why was it seen as appropriate to send her to some random auld lads farm to do work experience?

Anyone who works with under 18s has to do children first course and get certified etc. It’s not “yeah rock up to yer man’s farm down that remote lane way and see what happens”.

I bet the locals were like “there’s aul martin with that young one from Merica he’s some man”.

Whole story is Wierd and yes terrible end to it

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

lawred2 wrote: »
    but you don't really though

How do you know what he feels ? He’s entitled to his opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’d say she was passive aggressively strong armed at a vulnerable time by the Irish catholic traditions and it wore off over time , nearly happened again to clodagh hall and her kids when the priest had to wind his beak in.

And then after she married him he gets involved in a land dispute like out of the field

Jasus sake. You’d wonder what his family made of it all. Going by the usual story he probably had fallen out with them etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    He is a monster because he killed himself and his child?

What is the proper appellation for someone that kills their child?

. And it's only right that this is corrected and the mother is given some form of closure.
    2wrongs don't make a right, exhuming the little girls remains a decade later and shipping them off to Texas wont " give closure". I understand the lady's grievience about her husband will but that has been thrashed out by the courts af infinum. In my opinion the child should be allowed Rest in Peace, its definitely NOT a course of action I would be contributing to a gofundme website to finance
    Wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 phone150

Thank you for clarifying the reason behind calling the mother the American lady. Could you also clarify

- Why you ASSUME there's “an air of vindictivness & misplaced hatred about the whole idea”?

- If you think she’s doing this out of “vindictiveness and misplaced hatred“ who exactly is she being vindictive against and why?

- If you think this “vindictiveness and misplaced hatred “ applies to all families who want an exhumation, having buried their loved ones with the person who murdered them? If not then why is this case different?

- Why exhuming the poor child's remains a decade later doesn't sit well with you when the alternative is leaving the poor child in the arms of her murderer for eternity ?

What is the proper appellation for someone that kills their child?

Mentally unstable, I would imagine.
    Nobody, male or female, kills their child or children on a whim.

I accept there are people who hit or shake their children to death, but they don’t commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

A Professor was on the show last night. She said mental illness is rarely a cause. Its mostly punishing their partner once they know its over. He was POS.

What is POS please?
    And did you catch what the professor was a professor of?
    I didn’t see the program, just read an article in the paper.

I accept there are people who hit or shake their children to death, but they don’t commit suicide.

He's was pretty f***ing methodical about what he did.

He changed the will so that should his daughter conveniently not live past a certain age her inheritance would be diverted to his original family and not his wife. He wrote a letter detailing why he killed their daughter, because he wouldn't let her be raised by a stepfather, that he was taking her away with him to heaven.
    And according to the mother of the child he was controlling and mentally abusive. What he did was premeditated and evil, and he's exactly where he should be. Unfortunately he took the poor child with him.

If you think that a body can 'Rest in Peace' then surely you can understand that a mother would feel that her child cannot 'Resting in Peace' next to her killer. Terrible as it is to say, the child is dead and gone now. She can't be harmed anymore. The only decent thing left to do is ease the mothers suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

To walk into the sea with your child in your arms in the dark of night is a loss of control more so than to have total control.
    He must have been at the end of his tether.

She couldn't bear to be with him anymore and he couldn't bear to have his child living in a foreign country with a stepfather.Tragic but the child was the ultimate victim.

I think she should stay where she is as her short life was lived here,it was all she knew.

I feel like theres something more to this one,cant put my finger on it...

I’m the same. It’s a Bizarre story in her telling of it.

He's was pretty f***ing methodical about what he did.

He changed the will so that should his daughter conveniently not live past a certain age her inheritance would be diverted to his original family and not his wife. He wrote a letter detailing why he killed their daughter, because he wouldn't let her be raised by a stepfather, that he was taking her away with him to heaven.
    And according to the mother of the child he was controlling and mentally abusive. What he did was premeditated and evil, and he's exactly where he should be. Unfortunately he took the poor child with him.

That’s it in a nutshell, to be fair all men that experience this (child separation) have all sorts of thoughts about the things he was thinking about, 99% of us suck it up and do everything they can to keep the child in their lives and don’t murder them out of spite (which he admitted to in his letter)

• Advertisement

- Why you ASSUME
    [/QUOTE]

My dear ol nan told me "assume makes an ASS of you & me"......I never ASSUME ANYTHING

Advertisement