Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jesus the amount of arguing and soap boxing and nobody listening to anything anyone says..

The " slums of detroit" deal was a classic!!!!.... how does Eddie get these gigs???? Surely his credibility is way down the toilet??

Beardy is nothing if not fanatical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I must have been one of the few in Ireland growing up in the 80's and 90's that didn't get my Nothern Ireland news from only BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Shinner guy sounds rattled, stumbling and fumbling with the explanation.

Claire heavy hitting on the "IRA stuff"

Serious punches being landed alright.

What's with this loolah repeatedly declaring herself middle class?

And now Eddie brings up something else completely out of left field..

A complete joke of a show this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Claire is brilliant, rte are lucky to have her. She is well focused.

Isn't Alison o Connor about as far away from being an " impartial journalist " as you can get???

She's trotted out on all these rte shows with this arrogant " I'm right.....all the time" superior attitude

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Matt thought he was fine until the last few minutes!

Michael Flynn must be wondering why the feck he came out for this nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder will RTE give Eddie a new show now that the economy is blowing up again?

She has difficult guests. Fine for you to be playing hurling on the ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Do we know who's on the Sinn Fein Commette?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep, the only person capable of talking any sense whatsoever drowned out by the 'the best argument is the most emotive one' crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

At times like this one could really use Luke O’ Neill’s wisdom.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Far too many contributors on the show. Everyone was speaking at a hundred miles an hour because they knew they'd be cut off soon enough.

There must have been 10 or 12 speakers tonight in a show with an airtime of around 45 minutes. With time for Claire asking questions, you'd have about 3 minutes or so average for all speakers. Any time there was a bit of hesitation or someone lost their train or thought Claire was on to the next person.

The only thing that comes across to me is the utter failure of what was the mainstream Irish centre left. We’re now at a point where a party with a very odd association with the troubles and that’s reminding me a lot of some version of a populist Fianna Fáil is wearing centre left clothes. I don’t see any evidence of them delivering centre left policies very effectively in NI and they’ve sat on their hands on social agenda issues, notably abortion rights. They’ve also had a position on EU issues in the recent past that’s been pretty eurosceptic. It’s modified a bit, but I’m still not sure where they stand and I’m not comfortable with it.

FF and FG have also failed to respond to two huge issues. They seem to only have one approach, which keeps causing mad speculative bubbles in housing. You can’t realistically afford to house yourself in Dublin, Cork and quite a few other places anymore and the health system has just been an onnishambles for as long as I’ve been alive.

I don’t see SF as being the solution to that, but it looks like they’re going to be a major component of the next government.

That’s why “soundbite” formats like this are dying and in depth, 3 hour broad range discussions on topics like on the Joe Rogan show are increasingly popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭sully123

I wouldn't be taken in by that 'don't trust the old provos' nonsense. FF/FG are asking the public to make a distinction that they don't make themselves.

Consider the example of Phil Flynn

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Flynn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

There are old provos in several other parties. The issue however is a bit different due to the organisational structure and direct linkages between the party and the dodgy history and a continuous failure to place clear distance.

Had SF relaunched as SF Nua or something and really drawn a line in the late 1990s, I think these questions wouldn’t be here now. They didn’t and the questions will remain.

I can see all the problems and I’m directly impacted by several of them, but I just am not seeing yet another version of Irish centrist populism as a solution and I really don’t regard SF as a left wing party. They’re all over the shop on that topic - like they seem to oppose property taxes, yet want taxes on wealth. I don’t know where they stand on environmental policies. I don’t see FF and FG as being a solution either though.

To be quite honest, I am increasingly scratching my head when I go to vote. Last time around I didn’t really feel any passion for any of the options on the ballot paper and that’s crazy given we’ve a huge array of parties and options.

I don’t get the point of the link. He was appointed by a Labour minister who led a party that included former Trotskyist’s and money forgers.

• Advertisement

The only thing I’ll say is at least in the PR-STV system we’ll get something that has to balance itself out. You’re very unlikely to ever see a single party in power here again because the electoral system is working as intended. The days of FF holding majorities were the anomalies and it speaks volumes about that very conservative era and the aftermath of the civil war on politics and creating almost zombie voting loyalty. That’s all gone and I think voters make very pragmatic decisions and are far more fickle in how they shop around, which is a good thing.

It also means if they are given a significant mandate they’ll be expected to deliver. They’ll also have to be good coalition partners or they’ll be looking at collapsing governments. It’s a very different place to being in opposition and it’s shredded a lot of parties who didn’t deliver.

So even if SF get in they’ll be in a broad coalition. That’s not a bad thing - it’s how we get stability and consensus.

Advertisement