Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

5uspect wrote: »
    Utterly appalling behaviour by the No side of the audience. But it did look like all of them were there tonight.

I see they had yer one from the late late debate shoved down the back. Still an all star line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Yes the Bigot card :rolleyes:

We want to redefine everything in family Article 41 - if you don't agree you are intellectually weak and shouldn't have a vote.

Sums up the Yes side.

You're defining the whole yes side by that one single statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Jesus RTE really dropped the ball on ensuring the audience was unbiased. Ridiculous, I respect the views of all but as another poster said, it was a studio full of bigots.

+ crackpots.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Yes the Bigot card :rolleyes:

We want to redefine everything in family Article 41 - if you don't agree you are intellectually weak and shouldn't have a vote.

Sums up the Yes side.

The only person who has used the terms 'intellectually weak' or suggested anybody should not have a vote is you. Why not focus on the campaign, the true facts, and the outcome, rather than producing statements like that and attacking opposite campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

I see they had yer one from the late late debate shoved down the back. Still an all star line up.

Pitchforks and No banners heading sown to George street as we speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Lisha wrote: »
    I really think it will be a close run thing. People need to get out and vote

Nah, I don't think so, the Yes side will walk it. Lots of students in registering. Far more than in previous referenda or elections, local or national.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lisha wrote: »
    I'm voting yes but I am fearful that people are saying they'll vote yes but I think they could vote no at the polls.

A bit like the 'shy Tory' phenomenon in England. Those stopped in the street who get asked what way they'll vote and are embarrassed to say Tory. That's why the pollsters got it so wrong in the British General Election.

I think the vote is looking like it will be tight which depresses me. I was hoping for about an 80-20% Yes vote. A No vote would be a travesty.

Important for those on the Yes side to get up off their arses and vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The only person who has used the terms 'intellectually weak' or suggested anybody should not have a vote is you. Why not focus on the campaign, the true facts, and the outcome, rather than producing statements like that and attacking opposite campaigns.

The was totally the approach of Yes side and was said to me.

As far as I could see - for a side about love - they are not exactly Yoko Ono. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

And people said the No vote in Scotland last year was lead by 'fear'.

That vote has nothing on this. The sheer amount of water-muddying and bull**** going on is disgraceful. I feel sorry for anyone who falls for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Any other debates scheduled before polling day?

One on Prime Time tomorrow week. I think that's the only and last major TV debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

eviltwin wrote: »
    Oh relax, gay marriage won't affect you at all. Like you care about kids, what a red herring.

4000 couples all claiming the extra state benefits and tax credits every year, that buys a lot of hospital beds.

Look at the 160 differences between civil partnership and marriage, a huge amount of it is financial issues.

The constitution is massive overkill and a ridiculously blunt instrument for this issue.

As the guy in the audience from the US said... our civil partnership law is better than most US States same sex marriage laws.

Young religious people make me sad. It'll be another two generations I'd say before everyone is as intelligent and enlightened as me. ;)

A bit like the 'shy Tory' phenomenon in England. Those stopped in the street who get asked what way they'll vote and are embarrassed to say Tory. That's why the pollsters got it so wrong in the British General Election.

I think the vote is looking like it will be tight which depresses me. I was hoping for about an 80-20% Yes vote. A No vote would be a travesty.

Important for those on the Yes side to get up off their arses and vote.

That is because of the nasty aggressive debate by Yes side.

They will win - but hopefully the fear is not at ballot box.

As far as I could see - for a side about love - they are not exactly Yoko Ono. :)

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I have opinions on how the No side has behaved and campaign have presented their arguments too, but I'll not get wrapped up talking about it because it's juvenile and counter productive.

Young religious people make me sad. It'll be another two generations I'd say before everyone is as intelligent and enlightened as me. ;)

Yes that is the sort of stuff we got from Yes side. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Well Coveney certainly did the Yes side no favours. All rhetoric and emotion but let's be honest.....the poor fella got slaughtered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,914 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some gulpins in that audience, the closing statements couldn't even be made without interruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Imagine if you were struggling with your sexuality and tuned in to see one of your relations, brother, sister, aunt, uncle etc responding hysterically and whooping and hailing Ronan Mullens No speech at the end like he was advocating the liberation of slavery...................

Could be worse though. In Northern Ireland many within the Democratic Unionist Party are open in saying they find homosexuality obscene. A councillor recently called for the recriminalisation of homosexuality and wasn't even suspended. Apparently upwards of 40% of gay people there have considered suicide at some point.

I'd like to ask any No voter here how it feels to be on the same side of an ethical issue as the DUP? Or the Orange Order? Does that not, y'know, cause you to maybe reflect on whether you're on the right side of the argument?

That is because of the nasty aggressive debate by Yes side.

They will win - but hopefully the fear is not at ballot box.

Nasty aggressive debate? What channel were you watching? What campaign have you been following? I am proud to say that the Yes side has campaigned with dignity and fairness throughout

The NO side keeps saying it is not about anything that is not nice sounding.

I believe in love - what is this John Lennon debate.

Like Mullen tonight, No voters tend to repeat themselves a lot with no relevance to the debate.......................!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Please clarify what you mean by post 837
    It isn't a family. It is a partnership.

lownhard wrote: »
    Well Coveney certainly did the Yes side no favours. All rhetoric and emotion but let's be honest.....the poor fella got slaughtered

I thought he did alright. The stuff about his daughter was weak sauce but valid I suppose. the No side are being given the oppurtunity to be louder on air than the polls would place them and they are taking it. Very aggressive tonight I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'd like to ask any No voter here how it feels to be on the same side of an ethical issue as the DUP? Or the Orange Order? Does that not, y'know, cause you to maybe reflect on whether you're on the right side of the argument?

If I found myself on the same side of an argument (any argument) as the DUP, the very least I'd do is ask myself a few searching questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Pitchforks and No banners heading sown to George street as we speak
    '' Our sons /daughters are married to a member of the opposite sex. So we're happy. Tough **** to the rest of youse''

Could be worse though. In Northern Ireland many within the Democratic Unionist Party are open in saying they find homosexuality obscene. A councillor recently called for the recriminalisation of homosexuality and wasn't even suspended. Apparently upwards of 40% of gay people there have considered suicide at some point.

To be fair, I think that is political bullying using that comparison.

And I am Yes by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,837 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Shouty petulant performance from Ronan. He's got form. Nasty piece of work, accused traumatised women that had a tragic trip to the UK for abortions due to fatal foetal abnormalities of having a "wider agenda". Not afraid to twist the hurt knife when the camera and lights are turned off.

Nasty aggressive debate? What channel were you watching? What campaign have you been following? I am proud to say that the Yes side has campaigned with dignity and fairness throughout

Not on tv - in the real world.

People were afraid to give their real opinion.

The bigot **** would be pulled.

Never seen a constitutional amendment debate like it.

I get the sense - many of the Yes side , did not understand the Article.
    A so called intellectual left enlightened type was debating with me - "I've a gay friend" - said, I'm voting yes because of my friend.

I asked - do you know the article it is going into - No :eek:

About love. :D

Please clarify what you mean by post 837

No - it is clear - there is a natural family in 41 - full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

I know for a fact the staff at the company printing the no posters received death threats from Yes campaigners.

Little did they knew the canny whore is also printing the Yes posters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Shouty petulant performance from Ronan. He's got form. Nasty piece of work, accused traumatised women that had a tragic trip to the UK for abortions due to fatal foetal abnormalities of having a "wider agenda". Not afraid to twist the hurt knife when the camera and lights are turned off.

The likes of Mullen, Quinn, O'Brien don't care who they hurt just as long as their catholic agenda takes precedence over everything else.

Advertisement