Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

To be fair, I think that is political bullying using that comparison.

And I am Yes by the way.

I'm genuinely curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

No - it is clear - there is a natural family in 41 - full stop.

What is the definition of family as ruled by the courts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Not on tv - in the real world.

People were afraid to give their real opinion.

The bigot **** would be pulled.

Never seen a constitutional amendment debate like it.

I get the sense - many of the Yes side , did not understand the Article.
    A so called intellectual left enlightened type was debating with me - "I've a gay friend" - said, I'm voting yes because of my friend.

I asked - do you know the article it is going into - No :eek:

About love. :D

An Article that was hastily drawn up in the early 1900s mate, when gay relationships were so unrecognised they were illegal. It is a very impressive piece of work and a credit to its drafters but it HAS MISTAKES. Hence why we have referendums as society changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Not on tv - in the real world.

People were afraid to give their real opinion.

The bigot **** would be pulled.

Never seen a constitutional amendment debate like it.

I get the a sense - many of the Yes side , did not understand the Article.
    A so called intellectual left enlightened type was debating with me - "I've a gay friend" - said I'm voting yes because of my friend.

I asked - do you know the article it is going into - No :eek:

About love. :D

+1

I've never had a problem talking about the abortion or divorce referendum.
    This one... the no side have been practically driven underground.

I even had the yes side canvassing on my doorstep, and they got a very blunt "No thanks".

I don't think people realise what the Irish constitution is, and how it overrides every law and anything any future government might try to do to temper any unforeseen negative affects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Personally i think both sides of the debate have been an embarrassment, The No contently bring up points not relevant to the debate and using the issue of children as a red herring. Having said that the Yes side have been poor as well, far too many using the bigot card when someone disagrees with them, the removal of posters which is totally undemocratic, At this stage i just want this thing to be over, sick and tired of both sides at this point, roll on May 22nd so we can be done with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

An Article that was hastily drawn up in the early 1900s mate, when gay relationships were so unrecognised they were illegal. It is a very impressive piece of work and a credit to its drafters but it HAS MISTAKES. Hence why we have referendums as society changes.

Agree - so we change with due care and full considerations for implications.

Not - "it is about love".

Trying to redefine marriage - redefine family - is a lofty modification.
    Very and in my opinion too much at once.

Give equality - but don't lose all sense in "love".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

+1

I even had the yes side canvassing on my doorstep, and they got a very blunt "No thanks".

I don't think people realise what the Irish constitution is, and how it overrides every law and anything any future government might try to do to temper any unforeseen negative affects.

The No side driven underground..are you serious? You've just watched a programme with dozens of No voters..There are thousands of No posters across the country and dozens of newspaper articles supporting a No vote.

Again, are you serious?

If you're unsure... vote NO.

You won't get another chance.
    But the yes side will, possibly with slight rewording and another referendum in a year or so.

Much like the Lisbon treaty that was a vote for jobs.

+1

You do realise the Constitution gives the power to the people to amend the Constitution?? That is the most important aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

+1

Have you considered that maybe this is the reason we're being give an oppurtunity to amend it?

• Advertisement

The No side driven underground..are you serious? You've just watched a programme with dozens of No voters..There are thousands of No posters across the country and dozens of newspaper articles supporting a No vote.

Again, are you serious?

There are NOT thousands of No posters across the country.
    There's must be at least 10 times the number of yes posters out there.

And people are afraid of hurting their careers by publicly saying they'll vote no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Fuuuucking hell, Ronan. Harvest :D

Visit any fertility clinic that's the terminology.

Again, are you serious?

I agree - the idea you are a bigot if you believe in a traditional family unit was just flawed and hurtful , insensitive and pissing on something other people had a genuine belief in

Then if you had a religious inclination - you were sort of laughed at.

Then if you said - can a child have a mum and dad - that made someone odd :eek:

I think if the yes side are entering marriages in a serious way - they need to clean up their act in this campaign.

Results are in!!!!

Overwhelming Yes....................!!

No Vote Reaction.....

tumblr_lqe9gt5z3p1qafrh6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And people are afraid of hurting their careers by publicly saying they'll vote no.

There are tens of thousands of No posters around the country.

Oh................or maybe.................just maybe................ there are multiple more times as many people who advocate YES.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,837 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't think people realise what the Irish constitution is

It establishes an independent state based on a system of representative democracy unfortunately for yourself and the no voters. Democracy's a bitch. ;)

far too many using the bigot card when someone disagrees with them/QUOTE]

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

But the yes side will, possibly with slight rewording and another referendum in a year or so.

If you are unsure- find out more information. The EU aren't sponsoring this so it won't get back in a year or so

New poster for Yes

bigot.gif

• Advertisement

Or, if you're unsure, then pay attention to the debates and see what argument speaks to your sense of fairness the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Shouty petulant performance from Ronan. He's got form. Nasty piece of work, accused traumatised women that had a tragic trip to the UK for abortions due to fatal foetal abnormalities of having a "wider agenda". Not afraid to twist the hurt knife when the camera and lights are turned off.

He'd throw his granny under a bus to get his way I reckon

New poster for Yes

bigot.gif

Who punched you mate? Hope you are ok.

Ronan Mullen would never be elected by the people. He is very lucky to have got his job the way he did. One election he did run he received a damning 5% vote figure.

New poster for Yes

Please answer the question I asked you in post 903
    What is the definition of family as ruled by the courts?

Just found out everyone in my family is voting No except myself. Depressing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

New poster for Yes

bigot.gif

Lolek Ltd, trading as the Iona 'institute' are clearly bigoted.
    http://www.skepticink.com/humanisticas/2013/04/04/david-quinn-and-iona-institute-continue-to-lie-about-research/
    They continue to ignore the research and lie and distort other research to further their right-wing religious agenda. Lolek and their various tendrils constitute the bulk of the No campaign. It's not to too much of a leap to consider these various affiliated groups pretty bigoted, especially since their agreements are either red herrings or intolerant religious fascism.

Oh................or maybe.................just maybe................ there are multiple more times as many people who advocate YES.............

No, it received a lot of external funding. See Irish Times Link

Politicians are afraid of losing votes to publicly say no.
    Businesses are afraid to lose customers and negative publicity.

No, it received a lot of external funding. See Irish Times Link

Politicians are afraid of losing votes to publicly say no.
    Businesses are afraid to lose customers and negative publicity.

The fact that businesses as you say are afraid to create negative publicity/lose customers and that politicians are appeasing the voters to be reelected would generate the assumption that there are more Yes voters/customers/advocates out there, would it not...................

The money is behind it because it is a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

That Ronan fella is a real oddball, along with waters and quinn. Very strange people, creepy even.

Advertisement